Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you looking forward to in 2021?
This poll is closed.
More Bowesette 86 29.76%
This poll being modified by the mods 23 7.96%
game industry unionizing 80 27.68%
less open world AAA games 21 7.27%
being one of cheetah's little pogchamps 1 0.35%
78 26.99%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

6 or so hours in, my opinion of Control is: pretty dang good when it's trying to be an SCP game, pretty dang mediocre when it's trying to be a shooter. From bits and pieces I've picked up, this is a pretty common opinion

though throwing bits of scenery at the enemies never gets old
Yeah. I wish it had been an adventure game about avoiding astral horrors and puzzle stuff for the altered objects etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One thing I really like about the SCP is that you can go from pretty serious horror to comedy to just plain weird in the span of a few articles and I'd love to see a team try to evoke that same feeling in an interactive medium. Control went pretty hard on one or two specific kinds of SCPs (or so it seems so far). Not a terrible decision but not what I was hoping for when I heard "SCP game". Still enjoying it though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What's an SCP game?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

What's an SCP game?

SCP is a website of user-generated articles, mostly horror or horror-adjacent, about a foundation which contains weird supernatural stuff and protects the rest of the world from it. It's sort of hard to describe but they all have a really distinctive and unifying feel, even when the moods in them vary wildly from horror (the most common) to comedy to whatever else.

I think the history is that someone wrote a creepypasta in a really cool, evocative style and then people when loving nuts with it and made thousands more. SCP was originally chosen as just a sequence of letters that sound vaguely ominous, I think, and didn't stand for anything, though it got a backronym as "Secure, Contain, Protect"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah. I wish it had been an adventure game about avoiding astral horrors and puzzle stuff for the altered objects etc.

They keep making the wrong genre for these things... if only The Secret World weren't an MMO...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Control's combat was good, but I still enjoy all the stories of people apparently struggling with it, because it makes me feel like a pro.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

finally got around to watching tim rogers pacman video, and am pleased to see him have the correct opinion on pacman ce vs ce dx

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I liked the standard encounters but bosses were interminable

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So far the combat hasn't been hard, just kinda mediocre

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

SCP is a website of user-generated articles, mostly horror or horror-adjacent, about a foundation which contains weird supernatural stuff and protects the rest of the world from it. It's sort of hard to describe but they all have a really distinctive and unifying feel, even when the moods in them vary wildly from horror (the most common) to comedy to whatever else.

I think the best way to describe them is "modernized Lovecraft." Good SCPs work so well because of the juxtaposition of hard, authoritative writing (much as how Lovecraft frequently used men of science to lend the stories an air of authenticity) with increasingly unsettling intrusions of the totally organic Real, such as with interviews, photographs, logs, and so on. They manage to condense down the basic essence of a Lovecraft story into a few hundred/thousand words, and that's no mean feat.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I just got bored of Control. All of the little Alan Wake poo poo was cool but not cool enough to make me do all the combat rooms where you do the same thing every fight. In a sense, it's exactly like SCP: they keep trying to make games about it but the best way to experience it is to just read the wiki

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They keep making the wrong genre for these things... if only The Secret World weren't an MMO...

That looked like a really neat game to get into but the combat looks like an utter slog which is, I guess, on brand for an MMO

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
if you're unfamiliar it is important to note that when people talk about SCP they generally mean 'the small handful of good entries' and not the swathes of dumb doctor who poo poo and whatnot the site got filled up with

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean anything with nearly 5000 entries is going to have some garbage but I feel like you can still select random article and have a good time on the scp wiki

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean anything with nearly 5000 entries is going to have some garbage but I feel like you can still select random article and have a good time on the scp wiki

oh it's a good time for sure - probably not a hipster choice but my favorite ones were always the various largely benign devices or machines

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

6 or so hours in, my opinion of Control is: pretty dang good when it's trying to be an SCP game, pretty dang mediocre when it's trying to be a shooter. From bits and pieces I've picked up, this is a pretty common opinion

though throwing bits of scenery at the enemies never gets old

thats the remedy design doc baby awoo

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The old design doc had Make a good game written in it, which probably got removed after Microsoft took them in.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Relax Or DIE posted:

oh it's a good time for sure - probably not a hipster choice but my favorite ones were always the various largely benign devices or machines

hell yeah

my favorite is 348 http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-348

also I like that you can just sort by upvotes and forget the cruft

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

stay safe out there everyone. Bowser's Fury will be unleashed today

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1348888703033335808?s=19

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What is it with Nintendo? Sometimes they announce their announcements weeks in advance, sometimes they announce them a few hours in advance and the majority of the time they just dump a new trailer or Direct on their Twitter feed with no fanfare.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everytime I was shooting things or able to walk through hallways without slow walking in Control I forgave them more and more for just how absolutely awful Quantum Break was.

What a darn tootin good shooting although honestly every gun except shatter feels like butt to use with the DLC gun being just the pinacle of "why why why why why"

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Don't play Control as a shooter. It works best when you are just tossing hunks of concrete at dudes.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Khanstant posted:

how do yall say "daemon"?

i swear it used just be a fancy way to spell "demon" and they were pronounced same but these days i be hearing it pronounced fidderently.

Day-mon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AhAHHHHHHH

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Don't play Control as a shooter. It works best when you are just tossing hunks of concrete at dudes.

uhhh concrete is just bullets but not from a gun you see

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Nowadays Control has accessibility sliders, so you should cut all the dudes health by like half and it would probably be way better. Playing it at launch every time combat started I was like “ugh not this poo poo again”

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

wuggles posted:

Nowadays Control has accessibility sliders, so you should cut all the dudes health by like half and it would probably be way better. Playing it at launch every time combat started I was like “ugh not this poo poo again”

I just turned on godmode, still liked it very much and was my top 5 last year.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

hell yeah

my favorite is 348 http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-348

also I like that you can just sort by upvotes and forget the cruft

this was really nice. I haven't read SCP in more than a decade, this makes me want to

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this was really nice. I haven't read SCP in more than a decade, this makes me want to

SCP has changed significantly in recent years. A lot of the popular recent entries have gotten a lot more elaborate and lengthy, and some authors are sort of putting together their own canons under the SCP umbrella to tell stories that interlink a bunch of different SCP articles. Personally I'm enjoying it a lot.

This one's sorta diving into the deep end, but SCP-4000 is probably my favorite article on the site. It might not work great on mobile because it makes heavy use of colored text for an important effect. It's one of those articles where it's a mystery what's going on without relying on redactions/[DATA EXPUNGED] and there's a clear answer that emerges once you start putting the pieces together, which I like that a lot.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

colored text for an important effect.

ahh someone who read House of Leaves

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

ahh someone who read House of Leaves

It's like what if that, but there's a concrete reason for each color and it's not just suggesting connections yeah

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is gonna gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppkX8epoD9g

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bowser's Fury has been unleashed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppkX8epoD9g

Edit: nooooo too slow

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So how different is the story in Infamous if you go the Good Karma route? I just got to the bit where Zeke betrays me and I'm wondering if I wasn't a total dickhead whether that would have gone differently.

Relatedly, the mission where you get to climb the really tall thing is the best part of any open world game, prove me wrong

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm at 50% on 5 or 6 protagonists, I really need to beat 13 Sentinels before I go up to DC for the inauguration in case I get killed by chuds

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Interested to see just how much new content is in here- 3D World was really good and it always seemed a little unfair for it to be trapped on the Wii U but like I dunno if I wanna buy it all over again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

So how different is the story in Infamous if you go the Good Karma route? I just got to the bit where Zeke betrays me and I'm wondering if I wasn't a total dickhead whether that would have gone differently.

Relatedly, the mission where you get to climb the really tall thing is the best part of any open world game, prove me wrong

Infamous 1? The ending is pretty different but it doesn't branch too too much, for instance one of the decisions is "no matter what you choose it was the wrong one" so the story is 100% unaffected which I get a kick out of.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Simone Magus posted:

I'm at 50% on 5 or 6 protagonists, I really need to beat 13 Sentinels before I go up to DC for the inauguration in case I get killed by chuds

Don't go to DC. It's scary right now.

If you still come up here, be safe. But really, don't go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Walla posted:

Don't go to DC. It's scary right now.

If you still come up here, be safe. But really, don't go.

It's for work, but also I want to attend the inauguration because, as much as Kamala is imperfect, first female VP of America is a massive deal to me, since I was assigned female at birth and raised female