Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

endlessmonotony posted:

I did use the exact words "the cruelty is the point".

This isn't even generating as much profit as possible because you're repackaging loving pasta.

well yeah. single serving dry pasta isn't available in a small little bag like that on a commercial scale. i can still see that with a low labor cost, it would be more profitable to repack bulk dry pasta than to include the smallest common size of dry pasta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bedpan posted:

well yeah. single serving dry pasta isn't available in a small little bag like that on a commercial scale. i can still see that with a low labor cost, it would be more profitable to repack bulk dry pasta than to include the smallest common size of dry pasta.

Not when you're doing five days worth of food.

Pasta for two of the days is fine, and the labor cost for splitting up £0.60 bags means you're not saving a meaningful amount.

If you had automated repackaging that would be a different matter and even then it's questionable if it's worth the effort.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Repackaging vegetables so it's a carrot instead of a bag of carrots: Already "really?".

Chopping them so you can give a kid half a bell pepper: You're just being a poo poo, there's no excuse for this.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

endlessmonotony posted:

Not when you're doing five days worth of food.

Pasta for two of the days is fine, and the labor cost for splitting up £0.60 bags means you're not saving a meaningful amount.

If you had automated repackaging that would be a different matter and even then it's questionable if it's worth the effort.

but think of all those jobs this is giving the people during this time of need!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's never actually about the cost; any amount of money spent bullying the poor is an investment.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's never actually about the cost; any amount of money spent bullying the poor is an investment.

Can't be an aristocrat without peasants!

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 06:34 on Jan 13, 2021

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

From now on, every time I see some homunculus UK aristo make a statement like they still have the relevance of an empire, I'm going to think back to dutch police confiscating sandwiches from british truckers and have a good laugh

God bless the United Kingdom

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ain't that the truth.

You do see the "at least somewhat sensible" option too, like packing 840 grams of baked beans and a random assortment of bread and vegetables.

You could have done that better with a little more effort, but could you have done it cheaper? Possibly not!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The UK is at the point where it's noticeable when you just cheaped out instead of going out of your way to spite the poor and/or browns.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There will be adequate spite.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
how much are those food parcels costing the government or local schools? what's the markup, like 500%

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

how much are those food parcels costing the government or local schools? what's the markup, like 500%

nominal cost per package was 30 or 40 pounds, if I recall. lots of room to make money there. even more than 500%

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
good good very reasonable

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Welcome to the Brexit, it gets worse here every day
You learn to live like a gammon in the Brexit where we play
If you got a hunger for ham and cheese, we'll take it eventually
You can have anything you want but you better not take it overseas

Brexit, welcome to the Brexit
Watch us confiscate your c-c-c-c-c-c-cheese cheese cheese

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/RollyOli/status/1349108878961733632

bet he even has a fridge

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hello yes this is the british government letting you know we've allotted you six eggs and have conveniently scrambled them and divided them into seven packages for your daily ration and what do you mean they've gone bad on day two

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

government outsources a food supply contract for £30 per family per week to one of their posh old school friends (this is how all gov. contracts are awarded, there is no actual tender) who don't have any experience in food provision. So they skim a bunch of money off as a consultancy fee and pass it on to a subcontractor, who themselves take a bunch of money off as a profit margin, and then a bit more to pay staff salaries, and whatever pennies are left from the original sum buy the poo poo in the pictures.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
lol your entire country is Fyre Festival

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lol your entire country is Fyre Festival

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kecske posted:

government outsources a food supply contract for £30 per family per week to one of their posh old school friends (this is how all gov. contracts are awarded, there is no actual tender) who don't have any experience in food provision. So they skim a bunch of money off as a consultancy fee and pass it on to a subcontractor, who themselves take a bunch of money off as a profit margin, and then a bit more to pay staff salaries, and whatever pennies are left from the original sum buy the poo poo in the pictures.

$150/month is about my family of 3's budget for food but i've gotta assume US' grocery prices are way lower than the UK's, also lol at not being able to choose what lovely pre-divided stuff you get

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

https://mobile.twitter.com/lordpasola/status/1348787358582321156

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

i say swears online posted:

$150/month is about my family of 3's budget for food but i've gotta assume US' grocery prices are way lower than the UK's, also lol at not being able to choose what lovely pre-divided stuff you get

I can't comment on the price difference between the US & UK but for £30 a week for one kid you could easily cover an entire kid's lunch (which is all this is meant to be, for kids who'd get free school lunches), gently caress, I guarantee you could easily cover their entire feed for that & still have plenty left over for mum & dad. Outsourcing is a vicious disease. That said, I don't think cruelty is the point, the point is giving your old school chum the contract so that they can remember that favour when you're out of Parliament & in need of a nice cushy directorship where you earn 6 figures for 4 days a month work. Cruelty is just a pleasant bonus.

Going by Tescos website they average out an individual carrot to 4p. So that depressing half carrot is worth 2p. Single bell pepper would be 45p. Cucumber is 43p. Brown onion is 10p. Don't sell single clementines but a bag of 6 is £1.35. 35p per apple. Baking potato is 25p. Tin of beans is 30p for one Tesco brand tin, but you can get 4 for £1. 32p for the box of tomato passata. Pack of 6 large free range eggs is £1.10. An entire loaf of the blandest looking white pre-sliced bread is 59p. Block of cheddar, 400g for £2 & it'll do you for ages.. That's £7.28 for more than they are giving these kids & claiming it costs £30 & it took me 5 minutes on the Tesco website, I'm sure you could do cheaper if you looked in Aldi/Lidl.

And that was one of the slightly less depressing food packages. Rule Britannia.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
really liked the tweet where someone got 10 days worth of food (loaf of bread best before 14/1/2021)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That was thirty pounds per family, not per person

But yeah I roughly agree, price differences aren't huge. beans tho drat those are cheap, I pay a dollar for 1lb or 500mg or whatever size y'all use

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is how loving poo poo starmer is

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1348606374939394048?s=20

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

lootcrate but for the shittiest food in europe

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Getting dunked on by matty should be grounds for dismissal and exile

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
from d&d

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

... and furthermore, seeing as the definition of the word "beans" is solely dependent of the existence of more than one bean, the department of rationing rejects the criticism on our baked beans and toast package...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I;m thinking about that bean

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i gotta stop checking d&d when people mention it, it drives me insane posting there

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

truly insane how much better you could make the country by bombing eton

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

LOL the tories mates get given a bonus for it. The extra 3.50 is obviously gonna be part of an overall increase of 20 quid per package

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Speaking of D&D, has anyone made 'Brexit: The RPG' yet?
For those who wish to experience what it's like living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland except not really?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if you want that you can just go to Glasgow

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

kecske posted:

if you want that you can just go to Northern Ireland

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-food-supply-northern-ireland-b1786629.html

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

i say swears online posted:

You have literally the cheapest food in the world but the difference doesn't adequately explain how poo poo these food parcels are, it's pure hatred for the poor

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
wonder if they'll start cracking eggs and carefully dividing the yolk between two dog poo bags.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so i'm guessing someone's chum realised that this was an excellent opportunity to skim some money without it impacting any *real* people and it got a bit out of hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

how humiliating for keir starmer to get shown up again and again by a footballer still in his early twenties, though