Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

I read this as ‘vampire traps’ was wondering who was taking ‘30 days of night’ too seriously

Maybe you're not taking it seriously enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolrah posted:

10Base5 used vampire taps on thick cable that roughly resembles TV cable.

I take that back. 10Base5 used vamp taps, 10base2 used T-connectors.

Thomamelas posted:

If I remember both want 50 ohms resistors on the end. With one being grounded.

These fuckers

If you took your eye off a loose one for 2 seconds, they teleported to the same dimension that 10mm sockets live.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's why you store them in sculpture form

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Data Graham posted:

That's why you store them in sculpture form

This feels like a good way to open the gate to where the BNCenobites live

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BNCenobite is real, and strong, and my friend.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Pinouthead

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

?

Mainframes are still a thing today.

Why would you think they weren't?
Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly separates a mainframe from a rack of servers? Is it more than just CPU architecture, would a cluster of Itanics be a mainframe computer? I thought the term mainframe usually meant a big rear end room sized "computer" from the 50/60s with as much processing power as a modern day calculator but []blazing fast[/i] for its time. I could see a rack full of different servers like a web server, ftp server, NAS, etc not being a mainframe, but I think a cluster of x86 CPUs is a mainframe.

If anything, I am surprised that IBM's POWER architecture still exists, I always thought that died once Apple ditched PowerPC for Intel. I assumed Apple declaring a technology "old and slow" (PowerPC, Flash, Firewire, etc) was the kiss of death for a technology. But somehow, PowerPC survives and keeps popping up in strange places like the Gamecube, PS3, Xbox 360, mainframes, etc. It seems like PowerPC doesn't last very long wherever it goes.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 13, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was reading up on POWER recently too and it's mystifying. There's a whole generational release like every year, like wtf is it all being used for

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Data Graham posted:

I was reading up on POWER recently too and it's mystifying. There's a whole generational release like every year, like wtf is it all being used for

I have over 60 POWER boxes, p8 and p9 that run our main central database that serves our primary revenue generator. I have 14 brand new p9 boxes waiting to be installed in the datacenter currently.

Power does a LOT of the heavy lifting in the background that most people don't realize and understand. Mainframes (zSeries) are the same way. IBM is still shipping Z boxes and innovating on the platform. The LinuxOne is a z14 that runs entirely Linux partitions, and has the ability to create such strong architectural barriers within the frame that it has been PCI certified as a "datacenter in a box" platform.

A lot of the innovations in the Power space are now in squeezing as much work out of every cycle as possible, and increasing I/O bandwidth. Shortening pipelines, putting instructions directly in silicon (p8 has GZip acceleration and encryption in the CPU itself), and (in the case of p8 to p9) moving from a CPU that can be broken into 8 individual threads to one that actually IS 8 individual threads of equal horsepower (think micro-CPUs, but a single-thread on a p9 is more powerful than an entire p8 CPU). Stacking cores in ways that allow them to share L3 AND L2 cache. In the I/O space, p9 was first to market with PCIe Gen4, and the p9 box has over half a TB/sec bandwidth available on the PCIe backplane in a single 4U box. The E-class of p9 boxes can expand up to 18U (4x4 + a 2U controller) and provide 32TB of RAM in half a rack. And still doing all of this heavy lifting at 3.9+GHz.

P10 is going to be formally announced this spring, taking those innovations in p9 and giving them a ++. I suspect it will be more evolutionary (p7 to p8) than revolutionary (p8 to p9). A refinement of the architectural changes that occurred.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I'm sure this is the wrong thread but can P9 run Crysis? Why or why not? What thread should I ask in to learn more about POWER vs Intel/AMD?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Not Wolverine posted:

I'm sure this is the wrong thread but can P9 run Crysis? Why or why not? What thread should I ask in to learn more about POWER vs Intel/AMD?

If you could port the code, absolutely. It would run 96 of instances of Crysis in fact.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 13, 2021

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Not Wolverine posted:

I've been toying with the idea of just starting a general comp arch/uarch nerd thread (talk about ARM, RISC-V, etc etc), but right now you'll probably get posters to reply in either the Intel or AMD thread.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

I have a sudden hankering for that story about the end of the world and the sysops being obsessed with uptime, anyone happen to have it?

:allears:

Not letting this die on the previous page :sun:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A job came in from the government (they have their network on site as we are a contractor) - "we want to refresh 14 of our switches, who is the contact" - Director forwards to me, so I've seen the email saying 14 switches (they have about 50 here)

They then email me directly, "we want to replace 14 switches, can you confirm serial/location of the 14 switches in the attached list"

I open the list, it has all 50 switches and nothing to indicate which 14 we are looking at. Great job guys.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

I have a sudden hankering for that story about the end of the world and the sysops being obsessed with uptime, anyone happen to have it?

Are you thinking of this one?
https://craphound.com/overclocked/Cory_Doctorow_-_Overclocked_-_When_Sysadmins_Ruled_the_Earth.html

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That would be the one

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Not Wolverine posted:

https://ibm-zcouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/IBM-z15-Technical-Pitch-Handout.pdf

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

of course loving cory doctorow posted:

“2.0’s awake,” she said. The baby had been Beta Test when he was in her womb, and when her water broke, he got the call and dashed out of the office, shouting, The Gold Master just shipped! They’d started calling him 2.0 before he’d finished his first cry. “This little bastard was born to suck tit.”

lmao at that story

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

movax posted:

I've been toying with the idea of just starting a general comp arch/uarch nerd thread (talk about ARM, RISC-V, etc etc), but right now you'll probably get posters to reply in either the Intel or AMD thread.

Do it. I'd have a ball with that. I know some of my nerd outbursts aren't really appropriate for this thread, but there's not really another place for it, currently. At least within the context of A to B vs C type stuff.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

lament.cfg posted:

lmao at that story

Well yeah look at who wrote it

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Not Wolverine posted:

There's a 2u p9 chassis made for big data workoads with 44 cores and 6 Tesla P100 GPUs.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

wolrah posted:

10Base5 used vampire taps on thick cable that roughly resembles TV cable.

That could've been it, I must have misremembered my ancient cabling standards.

Looking back that was such a fun job. Getting to fly out to villages on bush planes and hanging out for a couple of days before flying back. It was the perfect job for a kid right out of school.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

:yotj: kinda?

I've been OK in my current position and wasn't looking, and my five-year plan to stick it out as long as it wasn't truly awful is 1/5th complete. Pay's good, work-life balance is good, other stuff is other stuff.

I got a Linkedin connection request from a major medical organization. A nonprofit, which was what I was targeting as a next move at the end of the plan. They asked if I was on the market, I said I wasn't really looking but I'd hear things out. The role is up my alley, we had a video interview that I thought was just a casual first round. They just extended an offer.

I need to hash out what the onsite availability is because there's no way I'm doing a commute to 3rd Ave from where I am in NJ on any regular basis. Maybe 3 or 4 times a month but I am not going into a hospital, on mass transit, into/out of NYC during COVID even if the office is right above Penn Station.

Not even gonna start thinking pluses or minuses until they clarify the commute and onsite. 3rd Ave is a bitch. Train station -> transfer NJ Transit platforms -> Transfer onto NYC subway is a schlep that I wouldn't want to do even for a nonprofit.

The onsite availability ended up being remote for COVID so far, and "occasional" in-office afterwards. The tech contact I talked with before HR said that they were probably going to be looking at twice weekly in the office.

That torpedoed it. Even twice a week to get to 3rd Ave loving sucks. The team manager is OK with remote but he had to push hard for it pre-COVID, and the CTO has a real thing for butts-in-seats. I don't want to end up hating the commute when we have a full vaccine available.

I told them "Thanks, but no thanks" an hour-ish ago and man, what an odd feeling it is to get headhunted when I'm not really looking to leave. I needed some more stability in my resume, hence the original five-year plan.

Good to know that there's hope for an Azure engineer who isn't the King of Koders and lives/breathes/sleeps ARM templates. If nothing else I feel energized to actually buckle down and find some Udemy stuff to learn more automation things.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

MJP posted:

Good to know that there's hope for an Azure engineer who isn't the King of Koders and lives/breathes/sleeps ARM templates. If nothing else I feel energized to actually buckle down and find some Udemy stuff to learn more automation things.

Once you get past job postings, I'd say very few organizations are actually looking for this. I had a recruiter tell me the other day I need to be a "coding" expert, I talked to the team and they use IAC and PowerShell. Some code.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
AMA about leetcode algorithm questions for DevOps gigs

Yeah I'm sure knowing how to implement quicksort from memory is really important for a job consisting of YAML and bash scripts

the take-home coding projects are all fine and good but I laughed pretty hard at that one

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have literally only looked at ARM templates twice. Decided early to go with terraform and have not regretted that decision.

I do a fair amount with powershell and python, but I doubt I’d be able to do a coding challenge more complicated than fizzbuzz

For the technical challenge that got me the job I have now I built a tiny azure function deployment with tf that used python to query a website and md5 the body

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

i am a moron posted:

Once you get past job postings, I'd say very few organizations are actually looking for this. I had a recruiter tell me the other day I need to be a "coding" expert, I talked to the team and they use IAC and PowerShell. Some code.

My biggest customer is going big on deploying an in-house data archiving app. They decided to hire a tech to assist with installations and decided that the job calls for Java and Python experience since that's what the tool was developed in. The tech they hired is teaching themselves PowerShell to help automate deployment.

That's the biggest difference between job posting and actual skills used I've seen.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

My biggest customer is going big on deploying an in-house data archiving app. They decided to hire a tech to assist with installations and decided that the job calls for Java and Python experience since that's what the tool was developed in. The tech they hired is teaching themselves PowerShell to help automate deployment.

That's the biggest difference between job posting and actual skills used I've seen.

Everyone network engineering position I see and I apply for has automation/python as a requirement, then you ask them what and how they are automating and they have nothing to say. If I ever reach a level where I have a say in hiring requirements I will dedicate a good portion of my time butting heads with HR about job postings.

That being said, I just got out of a phone interview that has me both intrigued and concerned. The position is for a security engineer, but from what the recruiter told you are essentially doing 2 jobs since it's a startup. One is getting the company ISO27001 certified and the other would be building an IT support organization from scratch. So on the one hand, this sounds like a potential goldmine for my CV/career, on the other hand it sounds like I would need to ask for 2 salaries and brace myself for the hectic stress that is a startup.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The Fool posted:

I have literally only looked at ARM templates twice. Decided early to go with terraform and have not regretted that decision.

I do a fair amount with powershell and python, but I doubt I’d be able to do a coding challenge more complicated than fizzbuzz

For the technical challenge that got me the job I have now I built a tiny azure function deployment with tf that used python to query a website and md5 the body

ARM templates are proof that hell is real and we live in it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sprechensiesexy posted:

That being said, I just got out of a phone interview that has me both intrigued and concerned. The position is for a security engineer, but from what the recruiter told you are essentially doing 2 jobs since it's a startup. One is getting the company ISO27001 certified and the other would be building an IT support organization from scratch. So on the one hand, this sounds like a potential goldmine for my CV/career, on the other hand it sounds like I would need to ask for 2 salaries and brace myself for the hectic stress that is a startup.
Those are two very different directions to pull a single person in. You might want to ask for three salaries :stare:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Do it. I'd have a ball with that. I know some of my nerd outbursts aren't really appropriate for this thread, but there's not really another place for it, currently. At least within the context of A to B vs C type stuff.

Thoughts on doing effort post / OP post, or just something to kick it off? I think if I try to some kind of intro / effort post, it will likely never happen and since it's just a discussion thread... doesn't really matter, I guess.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

movax posted:

Thoughts on doing effort post / OP post, or just something to kick it off? I think if I try to some kind of intro / effort post, it will likely never happen and since it's just a discussion thread... doesn't really matter, I guess.

Maybe start off with an OP detailing what (we know) the architectures are, and their primary purposes. Then people can discuss things, etc.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

well that was mildly amusing, casually sexist, and about 3 times longer than it had to be

the perfect sysadmin story

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

well that was mildly amusing, casually sexist, and about 3 times longer than it had to be

the perfect sysadmin storyCory Doctorow story

FTFY

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

They should be ashamed of themselves for writing that. I couldn't finish it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

cory doctorow tricked a lot of young nerds in the early 2000s into reading his crummy books by releasing them as free epubs. i read a bunch of his novels on my palm pilot in middle school and boy were they bad!!! holy poo poo!!!!!!

in one book he describes the smell of something as "spicy, like an armpit after sex." i'm not sure if that's the same one where he describes the bedsheets being stiff with encrusted fluids after the protagonist's hot gently caress fest, but it probably is

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The nerd references have a very ready player one vibe to them

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I do enjoy that he released an entire series of stories based around Lionel Hutzing up the title of "I, Robot" into progressively more tortured puns.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

just catching up on all these SHSC threads, which one has the biggest vein of lols from the adobe flash killwitch event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

incoherent posted:

just catching up on all these SHSC threads, which one has the biggest vein of lols from the adobe flash killwitch event.

You know, I didn't see too much discussion on this. A couple of people who laughed at other departments or whatever, but it didn't seem like a very significant event.