Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do hope they get Cahir back to being the lovesick moron rather than the blood nut.

Agreed. He was one of the more interesting characters and I don’t want him turned into a one dimensional ninja goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Super dumb question everyone, is there a link for the Witcher 2 thread? I'm about to start it, and can only find the first game thread and this one

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

tarbrush posted:

Super dumb question everyone, is there a link for the Witcher 2 thread? I'm about to start it, and can only find the first game thread and this one

I have that thread bookmarked, but it’s archived and Witcher 2 discussion can happen here. That said, I’d love the link to the Witcher 1 thread! It’s one of my favorite games and I wasn’t registered here at the time of its release.

Link to W2 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480522&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=134

Edit: I think I found the original W1 thread! At least the thread when the EE released. For background, I bought the original red-box version of W1 when it released in 07 and have been with the series ever since. I even bought a boxed copy of Enhanced Edition just because I felt CDPR needed more of my money. Two years ago I scored a W1 collector’s edition on eBay and have collector’s editions of all three games. I feel like the series has gotten better with each game and Witcher 3 is my all time favorite game as of now.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 10, 2021

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

chaosapiant posted:

I have that thread bookmarked, but it’s archived and Witcher 2 discussion can happen here. That said, I’d love the link to the Witcher 1 thread! It’s one of my favorite games and I wasn’t registered here at the time of its release.

Link to W2 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480522&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=134

Thanks!

So what I thought was the game thread was in fact the TV series thread :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

tarbrush posted:

Thanks!

So what I thought was the game thread was in fact the TV series thread :(

Having just found the Witcher thread I can link that as well. But again, for new discussion on any of the games in the series, this thread is the place to be.

Edit: Witcher 1 thread (2008 version when the EE released): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2960212&perpage=40&noseen=1

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 10, 2021

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Finally getting around to Blood and Wine and drat this game is good. Almost every minor quest is so interesting, Geralt as a character is so well-realized that I enjoy even normal interactions with no-name npc's on filler quests, as opposed to most other games when that's prime "check your phone while a cutscene plays" time.

I like Regis a lot. Seems like a nice affable guy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tender Bender posted:

Finally getting around to Blood and Wine and drat this game is good. Almost every minor quest is so interesting, Geralt as a character is so well-realized that I enjoy even normal interactions with no-name npc's on filler quests, as opposed to most other games when that's prime "check your phone while a cutscene plays" time.

I like Regis a lot. Seems like a nice affable guy.

Regis is the best and I was so drat stoked to find out he’d feature in the game. Book fans have been asking for Regis for a while.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Regis is great and I still hold that while Blood and Wine is supposed to be the send off for Geralt, the story is actually about Regis. The whole setup might be Vampires and Knights and Princesses but the real crux of the story is Regis trying to justify Detlaff's actions in the face of mounting evidence that he cannot be saved. I found Detlaff to be underdeveloped as a main antagonist, but he works wonderfully as a personal conflict for Regis.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I did have a laugh at how when you meet him he basically does a version of the Twitter meme of "this is not normal behavior, animals Vampires only act this way when they are VERY DISTRESSED"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, he keeps trying to impress upon Geralt that Vampires are different in order to justify his stance on Detlaff but in the end the Vampires are no different than humans and that is what Geralt sees. Regis is lying to himself to try and absolve Detlaff from being a horrendous murderer with social and mental problems.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, he keeps trying to impress upon Geralt that Vampires are different in order to justify his stance on Detlaff but in the end the Vampires are no different than humans and that is what Geralt sees. Regis is lying to himself to try and absolve Detlaff from being a horrendous murderer with social and mental problems.

I actually empathized with Detlaff when most people don’t. Detlaff knows what he’s doing in his head as wrong. But he lacks empathy and has the emotional maturity of a 4 year old, so if he has a tantrum or lashes out from emotional abuse, it’s gonna be a big deal. I like Olgierd as well, and think Detlaff is a much more empathetic antagonist than Olgierd.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

I actually empathized with Detlaff when most people don’t. Detlaff knows what he’s doing in his head as wrong. But he lacks empathy and has the emotional maturity of a 4 year old, so if he has a tantrum or lashes out from emotional abuse, it’s gonna be a big deal. I like Olgierd as well, and think Detlaff is a much more empathetic antagonist than Olgierd.

When I say he's underdeveloped I dont mean that he's bad. I just mean that he's not supposed to be the focus of the story. Regis's inner conflict about how to deal with Detlaff is the driving force.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

When I say he's underdeveloped I dont mean that he's bad. I just mean that he's not supposed to be the focus of the story. Regis's inner conflict about how to deal with Detlaff is the driving force.

Oh yea, I agree with that. I see Blood and Wine as Regis story as well as Geralt’s circle coming to a close, the circle that opened with the first short story called “The Witcher.”

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chaosapiant posted:

Oh yea, I agree with that. I see Blood and Wine as Regis story as well as Geralt’s circle coming to a close, the circle that opened with the first short story called “The Witcher.”

Yeah, it puts a nice end on the story. Geralt gets something almost no witcher does, that being a family and permanent home. He is a respected hero (if you didn't get syanna killed) who can while away his years making wine and killing the occasional monster with the help of his immensely powerful sorceress wife.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, it puts a nice end on the story. Geralt gets something almost no witcher does, that being a family and permanent home. He is a respected hero (if you didn't get syanna killed) who can while away his years making wine and killing the occasional monster with the help of his immensely powerful sorceress wife.

Dandelion's not a sorceress

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since I've found the original Witcher threads from 2007-2008, it's fun to read through just how much people loved that first game on these forums. I adored the first game (still do) but wasn't registered at the time. It's sad to see that most folks nowadays call it skippable and outdated. I've never played a game that, if I enjoyed it once, became outdated for me later.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I would wager that it’s mostly a different set of people calling it skippable.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Smol posted:

I would wager that it’s mostly a different set of people calling it skippable.

Yeah, it's a very good if janky RPG. People who can appreciate Witcher 1 probably like Gothic 1 and 2

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Regis is great and I still hold that while Blood and Wine is supposed to be the send off for Geralt, the story is actually about Regis. The whole setup might be Vampires and Knights and Princesses but the real crux of the story is Regis trying to justify Detlaff's actions in the face of mounting evidence that he cannot be saved. I found Detlaff to be underdeveloped as a main antagonist, but he works wonderfully as a personal conflict for Regis.

Well, the whole game is Geralt wondering into and through other people's stories.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

chaosapiant posted:

I've never played a game that, if I enjoyed it once, became outdated for me later.

Everything does for me. I can't play Morrowind any more, let alone isometric RPGs (including new ones).

Maybe if there were nothing better around I still could, but that isn't the case.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Oh dear me posted:

Everything does for me. I can't play Morrowind any more, let alone isometric RPGs (including new ones).

Maybe if there were nothing better around I still could, but that isn't the case.

I could never imagine that being the case, but to each their own. I still regularly play Morrowind as well as the Baldur's Gate series. New shiny poo poo will never detract from the old classics.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

drat, the scene where (mid B&W spoilers) Detlaff shows up at the ball and he and Geralt have that coded conversation is incredible. This game is so good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The way the XP system works means I should avoid trying to do high-level quests early? I like the challenge of it but then I'm super over leveled for the main quests, and I'm worried that I'll get next to no xp from them.

E: also no minimap, no map marker, no fast travel (house rule, does get broken for zone travel obviously) is absolutely the way to play. You wind up paying so much more attention to your surroundings and seeing way more of the environment.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 13, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You'll earn most of your XP from story quests so you follow a pretty linear level up progression for most playthroughs. The only time its really worth it to do high level quests is when you're playing New Game Plus and abusing the poo poo out of the damage resistances you can stack with an alchemy build and you want to show off.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

To be honest, worrying about XP at all is unnecessary. The main quests will always be close to your level, and the games strength is the storytelling/writing, and characters. So just do quests, have fun, and enjoy the ride!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And actually since I'm generally enjoy being under levelled it's probably extra not worth worrying about :v:

One thing I still can't quite figure out is parrying and counterattacks. It seems like most monster attacks can't be parried, and even some human enemies seem to be able to attack through parries? And parries only protect you from one enemy?

Given all that relying on Dodge based combat seems objectively superior.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Geralt can parry most humans and human sized monsters. Just watch for their health bar to flash to do a riposte. Bigger monsters you'll have to dodge.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Does the intensity of the red flash you see when an enemy is attacking have anything to do with whether the attack can be parried? Maybe my timing is just bad, but drowner's always hit me with that running leap & elbow slam attack and it seems like the red flash is super pronounced, where their close range attacks are easy to parry and the flashing seems way dimmer.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

And actually since I'm generally enjoy being under levelled it's probably extra not worth worrying about :v:

One thing I still can't quite figure out is parrying and counterattacks. It seems like most monster attacks can't be parried, and even some human enemies seem to be able to attack through parries? And parries only protect you from one enemy?

Given all that relying on Dodge based combat seems objectively superior.

In general I parry humans and sidestep most monster attacks. Sirens/harpies are an exception and should always be parried. Dogs/wolves I sometimes parry if I'm not too swarmed. Dodging against humans mostly seem to get me clipped and some monsters seem to ignore parries and I can't always tell which, so I tend to just move. Also the way the monsters swarm means that even when I do get a parry in against a monster that I can parry, it usually means I'm getting surrounded by the others so movement works better. Speaking of, if you're getting clipped by monsters while you're sidestepping you should probably move to the side rather than backwards, which definitely doesn't get you out of the way of a lot of lunging attacks.

Parrying humans is safer and helps you kill them faster. I can't recall a human attacking through a parry ever, though they do have some attacks that crush through blocks.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 13, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They telegraph their diving attack and those ones can't be parried.

Meanwhile Sirens and Harpies and dogs and wolves do have a diving attack than can be parried.

It's a bit scattershot and you have to work your way through it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I used to just always dodge. Going from Witcher 3 to Jedi Fallen Order was a mindfuck because I had to get it into my head that parrying actually matters and is really important.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Can you parry humans using halberds?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can't parry pole weapons like spears or Halberds. Geralt has traditionally had a bad time with pointed sticks.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blood and Wine question: Roughly how much is left after the branch in Night of Long Fangs? Can't really decide and wondering how long it would take to play through both from a saved checkpoint.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Tender Bender posted:

Blood and Wine question: Roughly how much is left after the branch in Night of Long Fangs? Can't really decide and wondering how long it would take to play through both from a saved checkpoint.

Not a ton. 5ish hours, tops?

Reasonable to replay with both branches.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tender Bender posted:

Quick note that you may want to follow the Elder Vampire route for a moment yet in order to see what Orianna is up to. After that you have another chance to return to the Land of Fables route instead.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

Not a ton. 5ish hours, tops?

Reasonable to replay with both branches.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Quick note that you may want to follow the Elder Vampire route for a moment yet in order to see what Orianna is up to. After that you have another chance to return to the Land of Fables route instead.

Thanks! Started this and what I saw of Orianna was definitely worth it. The night to remember song :aaa:

I will say that I would have liked more information about Syanna before making the choice: it feels like after she's revealed the game really glazes over what her plan and motives were until after you make a choice. Not in a way where I felt like Geralt the character was working with incomplete information, but where I was just confused if I as a player misunderstood something because he didn't seem curious. I'm only really nitpicking this because this dlc has been very well written and compelling, even by this game's already high standards.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

yeah. i think detlaff is fine. his whole thing is him being a clingy weirdo who has some serious personal and mental issues, dudes basicaly an emotional vampire(har har) and he picked the wrong lady to get clingy with. and like most weird toxic assholes, when he realizes shits bad, he takes it out in the worst ways.

anyway after beating cyberpunk(liked it alot but won't play it until its complete both patch and dlc/ng+ wise) i started a new game plus and i just beat the bloody baron quest. plus the kera one where i actually solved the tower quest correctly and also didnt kill kera in this playthrough. anyway where do i find the letho quest again?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think detlaff is fine. his whole thing is him being a clingy weirdo who has some serious personal and mental issues, dudes basicaly an emotional vampire(har har) and he picked the wrong lady to get clingy with. and like most weird toxic assholes, when he realizes shits bad, he takes it out in the worst ways.

anyway after beating cyberpunk(liked it alot but won't play it until its complete both patch and dlc/ng+ wise) i started a new game plus and i just beat the bloody baron quest. plus the kera one where i actually solved the tower quest correctly and also didnt kill kera in this playthrough. anyway where do i find the letho quest again?

Quest to go to Reardon Manor is where he’s at, but I forgot who gives the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Old lady standing outside an inn in a town close to the manor