Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's a simple scale from Hulk to Bill & Ted to EMF to ... uhhhhh... exceptional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Warthur posted:

Here is a person making a good decision 3 months ago:

The stuff in the actual game about the Sterile trait is pretty meaningless; if it becomes known, you get some specific social blowback from some organisations which only accept fertile folk for... some goddamn reason. There may well be a completely awful reason why this is the case, but the game is mysterious about it because it's annoyingly mysterious about everything; it's very much in the 1990s mindset where there's lots and lots of metaplot secrets.

I did a review of it here but basically the new edition has some improvements in some parts but doubles down on some of the janky bits of the setting in other respects, plus it swaps out one kind of underbaked system for a different underbaked system which doesn't really reflect 30 years of progress in RPG design.
I like reading your reviews in general and you hit the nail on the head with why I pulled my review: they're not doing anything interesting or new and the new poo poo they do comes with a dozen little lovely lengths of twine tied to questionable decisions and metaplot. I saw their mechanics in the preview and that they were tying it to their skirmish game and I just immediately stopped caring about the mechanics; the only time that's ever worked on me is Malifaux/Breach. It's so disappointing that this game is their heartbreaker and they're in these positions to just keep trying to resuscitate something so dead it's just a cartoon skeleton without actually putting any meat and matter back on.

also that's from a year and three months ago

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

LatwPIAT posted:

People seem to think that cyberpunk has to be punk in the left-wing political sense because it has 'punk' in the name, which brings to mind baby oil and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. The term was coined through describing authors who approached the staid 1980s (anglosphere) science fiction scene as outsiders armed with radical modernism as 'cyber punks', and later what they wrote as 'cyberpunk', taking its name from a 1982 short story about a cybercriminal, a literal cyber punk. It invoked the amateur and especially outsider nature of these authors, by referencing punk rock as amateur and outsider rock: rock (and science fiction) by punks. Which isn't to say that the term wasn't applied ignorant of how cyberpunk, like punk rock, often had political themes to it, but the primary reason the term was coined was to describe new wave of radical, modern sci-fi challenging the Campbellian establishment.

In terms of what cyberpunk, as a whole, actually is about thematically, different people narrow it down in different ways (and genres are always inherently vague), but the recurring throughlines seem to be that it's a reaction to the economic uncertainty of the late 1970s and the growth of corporate power, that it's neo-noir, that it explores the worry that the terribleness of the present will continue for seemingly forever, and that it explores themes relating to the four C's: crime, corporations, computers, and corporeality.

So the question shouldn't be whether Fragged Cyberpunk is 'punk' in the sense of the modern radical punk politics, but whether it's explores present fears and uncertainties related to crime, corporations, computers, and/or corporeality, in a neo-noir setting/with neo-noir themes.

If there's no punk element, there's no point to cyberpunk, you're just playing science fiction. Cyberpunk as a genre has themes for a reason. Social rebellion and oppression, and the terrible results of hypercapitalism are core to the genre.

There's nothing wrong with science fiction, but it isn't necessarily cyberpunk. Star Wars is a good example, it uses similar themes of lowlifes, oppressive regimes, rebellion, artificial intelligence, and incidental human enhancement but no one would mistake it for cyberpunk.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hostile V posted:

I like reading your reviews in general and you hit the nail on the head with why I pulled my review: they're not doing anything interesting or new and the new poo poo they do comes with a dozen little lovely lengths of twine tied to questionable decisions and metaplot. I saw their mechanics in the preview and that they were tying it to their skirmish game and I just immediately stopped caring about the mechanics; the only time that's ever worked on me is Malifaux/Breach. It's so disappointing that this game is their heartbreaker and they're in these positions to just keep trying to resuscitate something so dead it's just a cartoon skeleton without actually putting any meat and matter back on.
"Heartbreaker" I think is the right term for it because for the game's entire life it's kept teetering on the point of pulling it all together, but it never quite has, but I think it's interesting because rather than being a heartbreaker that's consciously ripping off some other game (like how 90% of fantasy heartbreakers are ripping off D&D), SLA is a heartbreaker of itself.

quote:

also that's from a year and three months ago
Haha, poo poo, I always suffer bad from January Syndrome (the condition where for the whole month of January you keep spacing on the fact that the year's changed).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Today in "I'm glad I held off on backing this gaming table"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3kUAM47Qw&t=497s

"We made estimations on 30 tables, and now we're making 8000"

Like.. if they get this first one out of the way I'd be more comfortable backing the next one they do, but this first one is loving YIKES

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

If there's no punk element, there's no point to cyberpunk, you're just playing science fiction. Cyberpunk as a genre has themes for a reason. Social rebellion and oppression, and the terrible results of hypercapitalism are core to the genre.

Cyberpunk as a genre has themes, but punk politics is not the end-all and be-all of those themes. For example, there’s a distinct subset of works often considered cyberpunk that focus heavily on the computers and corporeality side of things without much, or any, thematic space given to oppression, social rebellion, or anti-capitalism, or even the corporations/crime side of things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HidaO-Win posted:

I’m a big fan of SLA, but the new system is a bit of a lemon. Love the setting though despite it being strange as hell and possibly not terribly gameable.

Yeah, it feels like... I dunno, I wish we had more of what they call 'replays' in western games sometimes and especially with something like SLA Industries where I have it and have read it and (I think) even enjoyed it, but don't wish to engage with it more than poking at it with a stick from time to time. Something to give me more of a feel how it works in actual play.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Like.. if they get this first one out of the way I'd be more comfortable backing the next one they do, but this first one is loving YIKES

They probably should have set a limit so they don’t end up loving things up.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Liquid Communism posted:

There's nothing wrong with science fiction, but it isn't necessarily cyberpunk. Star Wars is a good example, it uses similar themes of lowlifes, oppressive regimes, rebellion, artificial intelligence, and incidental human enhancement but no one would mistake it for cyberpunk.

Star Wars might not even be Science Fiction. It's just another epic fantasy, but set in outer space.

edit: Which is to say, I agree with you, genre is not just wrapping paper for an interchangeable story/setting, the content of the story should matter. One could probably tell a cyberpunk story in the Star Wars universe in the same way they told a heist story in it, but the difference in tone and content would be noticeable even if you didn't know that's what they were doing, to the point where it probably wouldn't even "feel" like Star Wars anymore.

But yeah, Kickstarters...

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 14, 2021

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it feels like... I dunno, I wish we had more of what they call 'replays' in western games sometimes and especially with something like SLA Industries where I have it and have read it and (I think) even enjoyed it, but don't wish to engage with it more than poking at it with a stick from time to time. Something to give me more of a feel how it works in actual play.

I’m working on a one sentence summary of SLA, that’s what I got so far.

"It's Shadowrun, but you are a newbie Spec Ops soldier on a zero hour contract working for an Evil Megacorp in Glasgow, it's raining, it's eldritch and the loving Tories are in charge."

I think how it ends up working most of the time is as if you are playing Dark Heresy, but the organisation you work for is more banally evil even in the face of all the cosmic horror. The guidance you get is mostly episodic tackling of the crap world that is SLA. I’ve argued it badly needs an actual published campaign to give people a little guidance for a longer term arc plot for the game and how it plays session to session. I’ve only ever heard of short campaigns that dive into the weirdness a lot or mostly totally ignore it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I know furniture is expensive to ship but goddamn some of the prices you see in the comments are almost as expensive as the tables themselves.

I don't think anyone beyond the first few rounds is getting a table. Either at all or in a reasonable time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

HidaO-Win posted:

"It's Shadowrun, but you are a newbie Spec Ops soldier on a zero hour contract working for an Evil Megacorp in Glasgow, it's raining, it's eldritch and the loving Tories are in charge."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HidaO-Win posted:

I’m working on a one sentence summary of SLA, that’s what I got so far.

Without irony this is an amazing sum-up. Everything else you said is true, too.

Like... much is made of metaplot and without getting into it I think if you do it well it can absolutely be a draw but I genuinely don't know what you can do to impact SLA's as a PC. And it's way past World of Darkness' where you could do stuff and isn't at the level of CthulhuTech's "screw you, it happens anyway" it's just... I don't even think it's not cool that stuff like Bitterness and White Earth and all that are out there but what does that have to do with a SLA Op worrying about their bullet tax and trying to score a sponsorship while killing feral hogs in the sewer?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
SLA: G4S 2023

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Without irony this is an amazing sum-up. Everything else you said is true, too.

Like... much is made of metaplot and without getting into it I think if you do it well it can absolutely be a draw but I genuinely don't know what you can do to impact SLA's as a PC. And it's way past World of Darkness' where you could do stuff and isn't at the level of CthulhuTech's "screw you, it happens anyway" it's just... I don't even think it's not cool that stuff like Bitterness and White Earth and all that are out there but what does that have to do with a SLA Op worrying about their bullet tax and trying to score a sponsorship while killing feral hogs in the sewer?
Pretty much. Which is why, in my mind, all the flirting with the metaplot in 2nd edition and sticking a big ton of it in the intro fiction is such a catastrophic mistake. It puts 100% the wrong thing front and centre.

Most of the new threats in this edition are essentially attempts to make the metaplot more relevant to SLA operatives, which is a good move in theory but in practice I think it'd work much better as "the upper echelons of the company worry about weird, surreal bullshit which barely makes any sense to you if you have the poor fortune to interact with it but is largely disconnected with anything you are worried about yourself" and leave it at that. There doesn't need to be a spelled-out deeper mystery to the setting that Nightfall sweat to keep canon consistent with (to the point of memory holing most of the products they have ever released for it), it can just be a stupid, surreal, arbitrary world of bullshit.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 15, 2021

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Road to Canterbury, about forgiving the hell out of sins for money, is getting a reprint.

http://kck.st/2Lx0UG6

With a new concept of "Stretch Credits"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I recall enjoying it. Kind of a rummy game like ticket to ride, and everyone dies so I called it ticket to death.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Most of the new threats in this edition are essentially attempts to make the metaplot more relevant to SLA operatives, which is a good move in theory but in practice I think it'd work much better as "the upper echelons of the company worry about weird, surreal bullshit which barely makes any sense to you if you have the poor fortune to interact with it but is largely disconnected with anything you are worried about yourself" and leave it at that. There doesn't need to be a spelled-out deeper mystery to the setting that Nightfall sweat to keep canon consistent with (to the point of memory holing most of the products they have ever released for it), it can just be a stupid, surreal, arbitrary world of bullshit.

Do they even mention Senti in the new edition? It's been a while since I went over the earlier stuff but I seem to recall she was a big deal and I don't think I saw her name.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The weirdest thing about Kickstarters is how things I ordered months or years apart end up arriving on the same day. I think both Canvas and Dice Throne Adventures/Dice Throne Season 1 Rerolled are both arriving today...

I'm super excited for both but kinda wish there was some separation so I could get some time with one or the other....

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Dungeon Bitches, the pet project of excellent indie RPG designer cavegirl, is on Kickstarter.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 15, 2021

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

The weirdest thing about Kickstarters is how things I ordered months or years apart end up arriving on the same day. I think both Canvas and Dice Throne Adventures/Dice Throne Season 1 Rerolled are both arriving today...

I'm super excited for both but kinda wish there was some separation so I could get some time with one or the other....

Same but Dice Throne and Tainted Grail. And I hate to admit it, but my excitement for both has really waned over the last few months. DT already arrived and I feel like I can’t muster the enthusiasm to unpack it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Do they even mention Senti in the new edition? It's been a while since I went over the earlier stuff but I seem to recall she was a big deal and I don't think I saw her name.
Not a mention, which is really weird. It could be they're just being coy about her, but they talk a bunch about stuff she'd had a heavy hand in and she's right there in the 1st edition so this isn't just a retcon of stuff from an internal development document or a later supplement they didn't stand by.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Backed because I really like her work, but as a straight cis white dude who mostly games with other straight cis white dudes, I'm not sure that I'll ever feel comfortable trying to run a game of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Memnaelar posted:

Backed because I really like her work, but as a straight cis white dude who mostly games with other straight cis white dudes, I'm not sure that I'll ever feel comfortable trying to run a game of it.

I’d say try and get them out of their comfort zones once in a while.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Also, it's PbtA with four stats. Whatever mistakes it makes, compounding Dungeon World's serious misunderstandings doesn't seem to be one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

snickles posted:

Same but Dice Throne and Tainted Grail. And I hate to admit it, but my excitement for both has really waned over the last few months. DT already arrived and I feel like I can’t muster the enthusiasm to unpack it.
Well, my boys and I have been playing the hell out of Dice Throne over quarantine. They are intensely excited lol

Canvas is gorgeous. Pro tip: the art cards have a clear protective coating. It's removable with some effort, and makes it about 2x prettier

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

The_Doctor posted:

I’d say try and get them out of their comfort zones once in a while.

Sure, and I don't doubt that they'd be down to try. It's just always tricky navigating that line between trying to walk in someone else's shoes and potentially appropriating them.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Well, my boys and I have been playing the hell out of Dice Throne over quarantine. They are intensely excited lol

Canvas is gorgeous. Pro tip: the art cards have a clear protective coating. It's removable with some effort, and makes it about 2x prettier

Probably overlooking something obvious here, but what are the “art cards”?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

snickles posted:

Probably overlooking something obvious here, but what are the “art cards”?
The transparent plastic ones. They have a thin, barely-adhesive protective film on top. Like the kind you'd peel off a screen.

You can leave it if you want, but they make the transparent parts cloudier. It's still totally playable, just slightly less beautiful.

It took some time to get all of them off, carefully scraping with a knife until part came up and then working at it from there.

And as a side benefit, all art cards plus the expansion ones fit into the box with room to spare after removing the film.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 15, 2021

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

The transparent plastic ones. They have a thin, barely-adhesive protective film on top. Like the kind you'd peel off a screen.

You can leave it if you want, but they make the transparent parts cloudier. It's still totally playable, just slightly less beautiful.

It took some time to get all of them off, carefully scraping with a knife until part came up and then working at it from there.

And as a side benefit, all art cards plus the expansion ones fit into the box with room to spare after removing the film.

Yeah, I’m a moron. I totally misread your second paragraph and thought we were still talking about Dice Throne. You clearly were not, my brain just misfired. I was searching through my boxes for the art cards. Figured it out now and after looking it up I do remember Canvas. Beautiful art, I’m sure the cards look phenomenal in person. Have you tried Dice Throne Adventures yet?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

snickles posted:

Yeah, I’m a moron. I totally misread your second paragraph and thought we were still talking about Dice Throne. You clearly were not, my brain just misfired. I was searching through my boxes for the art cards. Figured it out now and after looking it up I do remember Canvas. Beautiful art, I’m sure the cards look phenomenal in person. Have you tried Dice Throne Adventures yet?
It's going to be here soon I hope! Today was the expected delivery date, but it'll probably be tomorrow. I hope.

I have not played it yet but my boys are seriously pumped to play dice throne cooperatively and everything I've seen about it makes me excited to play it, too. Adding an rpg-style semi-legacy element to dice throne pushes all my nerd buttons.

We play the head to head or king of the hill variants of dice throne 1 & 2 a few times a week, so the learning curve should be pretty shallow for them.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 15, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is there a Dice Throne thread? It looked cool and i wanted to introduce it to my group since Gloomhaven didn't work out very well.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I got my Dice Throne stuff today and holy hell I didn’t realize how big all of these boxes were gonna be as I’d only ever played the original. Totally worth it though. The production is spectacular and the individual game trays make it well worth it. Excited to teach it to the wife this weekend.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Azubah posted:

Is there a Dice Throne thread? It looked cool and i wanted to introduce it to my group since Gloomhaven didn't work out very well.
:justpost:

Or talk about it in the big Board Games thread, whatever. :)

I'd gladly join in. I've been enthralled by it since first game. And it's simple and straightforward enough for my boys (9 and almost 11) to put up a good fight.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I got my Dice Throne stuff today and holy hell I didn’t realize how big all of these boxes were gonna be as I’d only ever played the original. Totally worth it though. The production is spectacular and the individual game trays make it well worth it. Excited to teach it to the wife this weekend.
Oh god yeah. The new tray setup takes like 3x as much space, but it's nearly perfect. They put a lot of thought into storage, and it really shows.

Which did you get? All three boxes? I'm waiting on just S1 Rerolled, Adventures, and the minis.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 16, 2021

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Some new MÖRK BORG stuff. I've heard complaints that this game is all flash and little substance, but I'm pretty unlikely to want to play an OSR game without a hell of a lot of flash to make it go down easier.

Also, from the testimonials, apparently Grognardia is back?

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
I'd back the Mork Borg stuff, but ever since Kickstarter switched to Stripe I can't back international projects. Every card I have gets rejected, even if I've cleared it with my bank. Sucks.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Oh god yeah. The new tray setup takes like 3x as much space, but it's nearly perfect. They put a lot of thought into storage, and it really shows.

Which did you get? All three boxes? I'm waiting on just S1 Rerolled, Adventures, and the minis.

I got all three. No minis here. I wanted them but couldn’t swing it money wise.

Couldn’t be more satisfied though. They did a fantastic job.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Maybe I'm getting old, but like the #2 thing I look for in a boardgame these days, immediately after a great gameplay concept, is on-point production and storage. It's very satisfying to get a game with really nice trays and components that all have a specific, customized home. Dice Throne definitely fires on all cylinders there. Eagle Gryphon Games' deluxe Kickstarter games tend to also.

I'll settle for aftermarket solutions if I have to - and occasionally they can be more useful by condensing stuff down from multiple boxes to one - but I'm very tired of sorting through plastic baggies, or worse yet, game boxes that you can't usefully put the game in (e.g. the Arkham Horror LCG).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

sportsgenius86 posted:

I got all three. No minis here. I wanted them but couldn’t swing it money wise.

Couldn’t be more satisfied though. They did a fantastic job.
That's awesome, goon.

I probably should have skipped the minis, but (a) eh, it's worth it for my kids' enjoyment, and (b) I had some extra cash when the backerkit opened. I already had the Season 2 Battle Chest so it wasn't all too crazy.

It's the most I've ever spent on a kickstarter, but as mentioned, I trust I'm in for a high quality product here.

malkav11 posted:

Maybe I'm getting old, but like the #2 thing I look for in a boardgame these days, immediately after a great gameplay concept, is on-point production and storage. It's very satisfying to get a game with really nice trays and components that all have a specific, customized home. Dice Throne definitely fires on all cylinders there. Eagle Gryphon Games' deluxe Kickstarter games tend to also.
I'm right there with you. It seems like game manufacturers finally caught onto this within the past few years. Another recent KS I received - Minions of Mordak - has some stellar GameTrayz with lids and room for sleeved cards.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brintown/tiny-paper-dungeons

This looks cute. A procedurally-generated dungeon in a little notebook (apparently each notebook will be random) that comes with its own die and little pencil. Five bucks. I'm in for a handful to give out to my more lighter games friends.