Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

Nah, Bailey is one of the most transparently thick Tory politicians in a world where Gavin Williamson, Michael Gove, Chris Grayling and Dominic Raab all exist.
No-one's paying attention to him at the moment, because it's not even clear whether the Mayoral Election will happen this year, yet.
When it does, there'll be plenty of time for his racist, classist, foot-ankle-shin-and-knee-in-mouth fuckups to get an airing.

Yes, being a transparently thick, massively gaffe-prone Tory definitely is something that barred Boris Johnson from the Mayoralty. Zac Goldsmith, arguably even thicker and *definitely* a lot more gaffe-prone, still managed to get 43.2%. Now we're going to see big hikes in the Congestion Charge and public transport fares in the months leading up to the election and the steady drip feed of muslimmuslimmuslimmuslim will definitely get a lot of X5s and black cabs parked outside polling stations this time round.

I still think Khan will win but TBH I've pretty much decided I'm not even going to bother voting this time round because... well you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH with the general demoralisation of London in general, the specific demonisation of Khan and the deliberate sabotage being pulled by Westminster (and the fact that - to judge by the increasingly desperate emails I'm still getting from my former CLP - that Labour are *really* struggling for campaign funds and staff) he might be in with a better chance than even he believes.

Obviously Khan has been targetted by the right-wing press (I wonder why) and is 100% a better choice than Bailey but I'm not surprised that London Labour isn't bringing in anything close to the donations and activist support Khan had in 2016. Just speaking personally last go round I knocked on doors for a few afternoons for Khan but won't be doing that again, he's done gently caress all to help renters and hasn't even used the bully pulpit of his position to push the issue, and it really feels like he's pissed on his lefty support with an eye on potential Centrist Labour Leadership.

I can't see Bailey winning but Khan has definitely hosed what could have been a sure thing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

To be fair, it was blatantly transparent Khan was just saying what he thought he needed to say to win the primary in 2016, just as Kieth said what he thought he needed to say to win the leadership. So I dunno, he sucks but the people who believed him credulously probably need to take a hard look at themselves and maybe be a bit more cynical about politicians and their comfort with lies.

I wouldn't wish Bailey on London but I will laugh hard if Khan shits it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The first absolutely concrete confirmation I got that the social media Overton window was completely alien to reality was someone calling the FT a Marxist paper.

Being marxist doesn't mean you have to be a communist, it just means you believe in a material economic reality :v:

You can be a marxist and also a huge rear end in a top hat.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just wanna drop this in here in the interests of anyone who might be involved or be getting involved in London activism. CW for abuse, emotional manipulation, silencing of survivors. Think it's important that more people know about stuff like this.

https://medium.com/@gracegreen_161/london-activist-left-its-time-to-stop-covering-for-abusers-8b782c186d52

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Miliband was the end of the road for the lesser of two evils, if there's two groups who are Bad of varying degrees and only those two groups can win then don't sweat about putting effort into making one wins over the other. You're faced with the evil of two lessers and the only way to win is to change the game - it's harder to get tangible results but you do actually get results.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/kingscoast/status/1349500245655347200

Another company giving up attempting to ship to the UK, and as it seems that was their main international shipping point, ie into Europe, they've just flat out given up all international shipping now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like it's the EU's lovely VAT rules as much as Brexit (and the UK's lovely VAT rules).

Hopefully a good opportunity to scrap the whole thing in a few years.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like it's the EU's lovely VAT rules as much as Brexit (and the UK's lovely VAT rules).

Hopefully a good opportunity to scrap the whole thing in a few years.

I don't think anyone in the UK or EU will be scrambling to abandon a tax that a) appears to the briefest glance to be progressive, b) is by far the easiest tax for rich people to dodge and c) provides shitloads of work for accountants, bureaucrats and the assorted hand-maidens of capitalism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The EU definitely won't, because that kind of regressive make-work is their bread and butter, but I wouldn't put it past the UK to do something that isn't in its own governing interests if enough people can be persuaded to tie it into passport colours/foreign ideas/paperwork on one side and regressive/useless on the other.

It'll probably go back to something like the GST instead though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Something I want to check about the whole awful situation - because I suspect more blame should be directed at the government than Chartwells here.

The Chartwells offering is loving awful, but is there any indication they've actually been paid £30 for each one?

I know the value of the voucher before was £30, have Chartwells been given £30 for each package?

I don't want to fall into the trap of parroting a number just because it suits my political beliefs, so I'd love to know if we actually know what they've been paid.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't think they're endorsing Brexit, looks like they posted a photo of those flags on another business and if you look at their other tweets they don't seem to express a strong opinion either way except saying access to EU markets is essential.
https://twitter.com/LochfyneLangous/status/1349449819677458435
By the by, I did some work on one of their fish farms once - the langoustines were delicious but the health conditions of their farmed salmon were some of the worst I've seen. Quite a shame if they close regardless of the owner's views on Brexit - fish farms provide a fair few jobs in some very remote communities. Some are seasonal or temporary positions, but a lot of the farm workers I met had been there many years and apart from the on-site scientists and sometimes the managers it's a job you can get without a degree and pick up a bunch of skills and training over time.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 14, 2021

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

“Here’s me approvingly sharing someone’s propaganda”

—Faces bankruptcy —

“How dare you say me sharing that picture had anything to do with ~~my~~ political beliefs?”

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Red Oktober posted:

Something I want to check about the whole awful situation - because I suspect more blame should be directed at the government than Chartwells here.

The example list for "hampers" the government gave to suppliers pretty much matches the images posted to twitter

It was about the one thing that queef farmer managed to point out in the commons to knock the tories without loving himself over with his own record

I don't think any of the firms have announced how much they got paid for the boxes (and certainly should be motivated to if it was less than thirty quid), chartwell tried claiming that the original box photographed earlier this week had a value of 10.50 and it was only intended for the first week, but the lass who posted it has claimed otherwise- and frankly the words of some random on twitter is more valid to me right now than a company that puts out coin bags half full of warm tuna to feed kids

Probably wasn't even a new coin bag

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 14, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Staff £2000
Premises £1500
Licenses £200
Voting brexit £everything
Utilities $400

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my business is dying

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Starmer's forensic leadership starting to reap rewards north of the wall.

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1349620543801196549

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

DesperateDan posted:

that queef farmer
:stare: the uh, what now?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only thing we can grow on this blighted soil.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

DesperateDan posted:

Posh. Old coin bags add much-needed roughage and essential zincs

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

DesperateDan posted:

The example list for "hampers" the government gave to suppliers pretty much matches the images posted to twitter

It was about the one thing that queef farmer managed to point out in the commons to knock the tories without loving himself over with his own record

I don't think any of the firms have announced how much they got paid for the boxes (and certainly should be motivated to if it was less than thirty quid), chartwell tried claiming that the original box photographed earlier this week had a value of 10.50 and it was only intended for the first week, but the lass who posted it has claimed otherwise- and frankly the words of some random on twitter is more valid to me right now than a company that puts out coin bags half full of warm tuna to feed kids

Good - that lines up exactly with what I had gathered. I just wanted to check the bit in bold because that's what people keep quoting.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

TACD posted:

:stare: the uh, what now?
queef farmer of the labia farty

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Along the same lines I've seen shitheads respond to the whole thing (especially to posts by Richard Burgon) by saying the provision of free school meals is at the discretion of the local council or local education authority, obviousy trying to shove the whole thing back onto Labour councils.

As I understand it councils are largely hamstrung in what they can do due to restrictions, budgetary or otherwise, imposed by central government - and in this case central government have a list of what they expect to be provided, so that isn't up to local government. What is the full story here?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

CGI Stardust posted:

aye, the leader of the suppository position

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone else basically just not getting mail anymore? I feel like the delivery situation is much worse than Royal Mail are letting on. I know they published a list of areas experiencing delays a few days ago, but my area wasn't on it and I don't think a single letter has been delivered to my building (8 flats) since a week and a half ago.

Parcels still turning up promptly though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

Anyone else basically just not getting mail anymore? I feel like the delivery situation is much worse than Royal Mail are letting on. I know they published a list of areas experiencing delays a few days ago, but my area wasn't on it and I don't think a single letter has been delivered to my building (8 flats) since a week and a half ago.

No, still seeing the postie 6 days a week.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Regular mail is a little delayed, packages seem about on time

Started getting mail on a sunday sometimes, possibly instead of the saturday

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Royal Mail has been utterly abysmal for me since the first lockdown - and I've lived in two different parts of London in that time. Letters usually turn up within a week or so (regardless of class) but packages are a total crapshoot. We ended up getting refunds on three or four Christmas presents that never turned up, only for them all to arrive at once a few days ago.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

keep punching joe posted:

Starmer's forensic leadership starting to reap rewards north of the wall.

I mean it's probably within the margin of error but hey! They might massively trail the SNP as the second largest party instead of the third largest party! #ScotLabFightBack

https://mobile.twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1349620546682703872

Also lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1349620549614530561

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angepain posted:

I mean it's probably within the margin of error but hey! They might massively trail the SNP as the second largest party instead of the third largest party! #ScotLabFightBack

When they said "any other leader would be 20 points ahead", I didn't think they meant Richard Leonard.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I don't know how anyone can say Starmer is making Labour electable again when you look at the polls but then I'm not the sort of person who posts comments on the Guardian website.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I don't know how anyone can say Starmer is making Labour electable again when you look at the polls but then I'm not the sort of person who posts comments on the Guardian website.

Well given that national problems are still the fault of the Last Labour Government, I imagine we have at least 10 years of excusing Starmer's under performance with "Corbyn poisoned the brand!"

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

"Electable" is a concept in the liberal brain that has nothing to do with actually winning elections.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

CGI Stardust posted:

:holymoley:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mrpwase posted:

As I understand it councils are largely hamstrung in what they can do due to restrictions, budgetary or otherwise, imposed by central government - and in this case central government have a list of what they expect to be provided, so that isn't up to local government. What is the full story here?
It's complex by design. When the tories say 'it's down to labour councils,' people don't hear that and immediately start chasing down budgets and publicly available accounts. They assume that it's mean old Labour running out of money again because Jeminy Croblem spent it all on jam and bicycles.

There are two explainations - a senior downing street source who pushes a headline-ready soundbite to their favourite journalists saying it's local councils actually, or citizen journalists that publish a wall of graphs and big words detailing the intricate network of school friends giving each other million pound contracts*.

Take a crack at which version of reality the media goes with.

* that journos won't touch with a bargepole because they're on half those lists.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 14, 2021

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Pistol_Pete posted:

Having had a running argument with some people yesterday about this, being 4 points behind the Tories is actually good you see because under Corbyn...

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

"Elactable" in the mouth of a media hack means "right wing enough that my ilk will not specifically prevent them from getting elected". Anyone else saying it is just a parrot.

Bobstar posted:

Well given that national problems are still the fault of the Last Labour Government, I imagine we have at least 10 years of excusing Starmer's under performance with "Corbyn poisoned the brand!"
jfc they're gonna do this, aren't they

without a shred of self-awareness about Blairism

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Angepain posted:

Also lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1349620549614530561

The scotlab fight back begins!!1!

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

peanut- posted:

We received all our Christmas cards on Saturday so I had a chat about it with my postie and apparently they are only delivering post (as opposed to parcels) on one day a week for what is optional overtime

So ye struggling

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Borrovan posted:

jfc they're gonna do this, aren't they

without a shred of self-awareness about Blairism

Yes, but without the lack of self-awareness. These are people who would rather serve in Hell than reign in Heaven, as long as they don't ever have to admit that they are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What niche do the libdems fill that 8% will vote for them for non-tactical reasons in the list?