Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Spanish imo is an ugly language and hard to learn.

I learned how to speak Mexican pretty easily though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
edit: nvm

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CYBEReris posted:

nonsense...all cats are girls and all dogs are boys. this is just science.

What about poodles? :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiggum posted:

What about poodles? :colbert:

Poodles aren't real. They were invented by the Dole corporation in 1905 to sell pineapple to the French.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You all can talk about language without being buttholes. I've seen you do it. Language derails are often pretty neat and I don't want to shut this down. Be cool.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Shibawanko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9BO3Sv1MEE

ive never studied esperanto but i understand every single word. it really does work as a universal intermediate european language

I'm a native English speaker, with intermediate Spanish & Norwegian skills, and I understood too -- maybe not EVERY word, but it was easy to figure out what she was saying. Weird.

Shibawanko posted:

ugly little phrases and gamer-thronesisms

Huh?

Leavemywife posted:

What is it about language discussion that makes people become assholes?

Not saying it's happening here necessarily, but it's usually subconscious/latent racism, especially when it comes to accents & other variations within languages.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shibawanko posted:

language shouldnt be allowed to just develop "freely" because that just means that language is dictated by media and the market and you get ugly little phrases and gamer-thronesisms, it should be centrally registered by a government agency who issues a guide for how it should be and tell people that "bend the knee" isn't a real phrase

Bend / bent the knee was a phrase before GoT massively popularised it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Back when I was still on dating apps I remember seeing about 50% of the women on there having that "gently caress a girl/win a queen" or whatever quote from GoT. Usually right before or after "looking for the Jim to my Pam."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bend / bent the knee was a phrase before GoT massively popularised it.

Correct.

“Sweet summer child”, however, was not. It appears in a handful of poems and that’s pretty much it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shibawanko posted:

language shouldnt be allowed to just develop "freely" because that just means that language is dictated by media and the market and you get ugly little phrases and gamer-thronesisms, it should be centrally registered by a government agency who issues a guide for how it should be and tell people that "bend the knee" isn't a real phrase

The government didn’t invent the language, who gives a gently caress what they say the rules are?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Correct.

“Sweet summer child”, however, was not. It appears in a handful of poems and that’s pretty much it.

This is wrong, I’ve heard it from very southern relatives way before GoT was popular.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yes

Lets make the government force us to speak a certain way

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Until government controls every aspect of our lives we are just apes living in caves grunting at each other.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Solice Kirsk posted:

Until government controls every aspect of our lives we are just apes living in caves grunting at each other.

Bad news for you, that government? Also made up of apes grunting.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I liked The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (2000).

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

I liked The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (2000).

Any kids movie where the incredibly professional actors get to chew the scenery is amazing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
everyone should just speak german but with a very strong alsatian accent. that is the most beautiful language, and probably the one god wanted us to speak.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
No one should be taught any language so we can learn the language of the angels

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

fizzymercy posted:

Any kids movie where the incredibly professional actors get to chew the scenery is amazing.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

everyone should just speak german but with a very strong alsatian accent. that is the most beautiful language, and probably the one god wanted us to speak.

I'll accept this, as long as we get to use the Mongolian alphabet, because Mongolian calligraphy is crazy and awesome and gets BIG.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The Man in the High Castle series had people speaking some of the most tortured German I've ever heard and I loved it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's been a few years since I've read the man in the high castle, but it's a pretty short book so I can only imagine how tangentially related the series is

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

It's been a few years since I've read the man in the high castle, but it's a pretty short book so I can only imagine how tangentially related the series is

Sometimes it works. The film 12 Monkeys, pretty self-contained, was itself inspired by a short film, so when I heard that there was a TV series, I thought it would have a ton of padding and wheel-spinning.

It turned out to be one of my favorite TV shows ever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

By the end of S1 it’s basically entirely its own thing, which is fine. I love the book but I can’t imagine actually doing a straight adaptation of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/SAMOYEDCORE/status/1350257007169732608?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've seen multiple people say something along the lines of "Whoa whoa whoa, there's enough troubling stuff in the Armie Hammer story without needing to bring up the cannibalism stuff. Let's focus on the grooming and power dynamics, no need to suggest that it's somehow wrong to be aroused by the fantasy of killing and eating a woman".

Either the 'no kinkshaming' movement has gone insane of there's a lot more people out there who are sexually aroused by the thought of killing and eating a woman than I would've guessed

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I understood exactly none of that and you can't make me.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

I've seen multiple people say something along the lines of "Whoa whoa whoa, there's enough troubling stuff in the Armie Hammer story without needing to bring up the cannibalism stuff. Let's focus on the grooming and power dynamics, no need to suggest that it's somehow wrong to be aroused by the fantasy of killing and eating a woman".

Either the 'no kinkshaming' movement has gone insane of there's a lot more people out there who are sexually aroused by the thought of killing and eating a woman than I would've guessed

I think the issue is that if the focus of the stories is “Lol this Hollywood pretty man wants to eat people”, the story will not be taken very seriously.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

The argument I've heard is essentially "the actual crimes are worse, not the wrapping the crimes arrived in". It'd be like "man robs shop dressed as santa" and the main point is that he's dressed as santa, not that he robbed people.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Josef bugman posted:

The argument I've heard is essentially "the actual crimes are worse, not the wrapping the crimes arrived in". It'd be like "man robs shop dressed as santa" and the main point is that he's dressed as santa, not that he robbed people.

But it's not like the wanting to eat people is just a random detail, it's an illustration of how hosed up he is. Like, you hear "Armie Hammer wants to kill and eat a woman!" and you're like wait what, and then if you look into the story it's like, drat he really does.

Its not like a man dressed as Santa robbing a shop, it's like a man dressed as Santa giving toys to children

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Who the gently caress is army hammer

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Generic handsome White guy. Currently in the process of being sacked from everything for being physically and sexually abusive towards his girlfriend and other women in LA. He also has a cannibal/murder fetish and wanted to further scare the people he was abusing by letting them know that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Manager Hoyden posted:

He was the star in the hit movie “The Lone Ranger” (2013)

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
He played the Winkelvoss twins in the Social Network

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Tehkää suomesta yleiskieli, that way you start from a neutral playing field. If you want references Tolkien made it into elvish. All this "what are my pronouns" poo poo would go away because there are no pronouns, and there are no genders.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd rather speak quenya than finnish thanks

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Star Wars Expanded Universe is just fanfiction that's somehow accepted as canon by the people who understand why George Lucas should not have been allowed to touch that movie franchise after Return of the Jedi but somehow think that we should still care what he says.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
George Lucas rules

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Star Wars is good, I've enjoyed the 6 films I've seen end ill get round to the latest trilogy one day.

There's a lot of cool poo poo in the franchise but its got to be the worst example of too many people who want you to know it sucks and too many fans who overly identify with it.

To be clear i dont mean people who watch The Mandalorian, i mean the type who have star wars weddings and go to the films at midnight launches

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

If you haven't tracked down the "despecialized editions" of the original trilogy, do yourself a favor. They're beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's not fanfiction if you get published.

Because that poo poo is like, you know, corporate. There's editors and payroll and distribution and employees and stuff. That is what makes it legit.