Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i bought some arkk a couple months back and when i saw in here the next day someone was poo poo talking cathie i knew i made the right decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I just realized that, like a loving idiot, I've had IPOD, IPOF and SNPR units sitting there in my account unsplit. Went to have Schwab split them and they said it costs $40 flat fee for each split, plus it can take 1-4 weeks. Immediately closed the chat tab with a rep and transferred my account to Fidelity. Fuckers.

Thinking of changing up my SPAC strategy a bit. I think what I'm going to start doing is specifically targeting units of SPACs that are within ~30 days of unit split but still trading close to NAV. Then ride them through the split, wait until commons catch up to my unit cost basis and then hit eject on the commons and just hold the warrants. This strategy of course excepts meme stocks like the Chamath ones which I'd for sure want to ride until at least a target is named.

Speaking of meme stocks though, is anybody holding shares in the Shaq SPAC?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Gone Fashing posted:

i bought some arkk a couple months back and when i saw in here the next day someone was poo poo talking cathie i knew i made the right decision

cathie is loving smart

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wish $WOOF had come out of a SPAC somehow. Up $50 right at open.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
confucius said the smartest thing a smart person can do is pay people smarter than them to advise them and take care of their poo poo

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Gone Fashing posted:

What other ARK is good to get into besides ARKK?

Looks like it might be a bit too late at this rate, though.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Bored As gently caress posted:

What other ARK is good to get into besides ARKK?

Looks like it might be a bit too late at this rate, though.

I always get the feeling that by the time I hear about something, it's too late. How does one deal with that with stocks? Not so much FOMO but more like FOAMO. Fear of already missing out.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TheWevel posted:

I always get the feeling that by the time I hear about something, it's too late. How does one deal with that with stocks?

I felt this way about Tesla, Gamestop, and Apple. Thought it was too late and they'd level off or go down by the time I bought any. Then they continued to go way way up, even after I noticed them / heard about them.

I'm the wrong guy to ask.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

I felt this way about Tesla, Gamestop, and Apple. Thought it was too late and they'd level off or go down by the time I bought any. Then they continued to go way way up, even after I noticed them / heard about them.

I thought the same with MRNA when it was <$70.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I almost always "lose" money getting out too early rather than not getting in early enough.

UAV is eating away at me right now. +~$300k if I didn't sell at 3 for a tiny loss a month ago.

edit: moral, just :getin:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What happens with the ARK funds now that Resolute exercised its option? Also, re: ARK

https://twitter.com/jessefelder/status/1349790755196428289?s=20

Smythe posted:

cathie is loving smart

I guess pump and dump is smart, as long as it works.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I got into FCEL in June around $2 and now that's it's starting to get some bad press I wonder if I should back out and take my profits while they're still relatively high. My average cost is $5/share and it's currently at $17. I'm wondering what some bad press saying hydrogen is over valued will do long term. I'm working to ride out a rocky month or so but I'm going it doesn't stick. I might be kicking myself in a year if I sell and it continues up though.

I still have plug as well (and significantly more invested) to ride the hydro train with so that's my thought.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

DoubleT2172 posted:

I don't get how "BTC IS FOR ILLEGAL THINGS" is valid as a criticism when dollar bills are also used for illegal things all the time

I agree. Ive never hoovered schneef with a rolled up bitcoin.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

ZombieCrew posted:

I agree. Ive never hoovered schneef with a rolled up bitcoin.

Plus in Canada, you can't throw bitcoins at greased up strippers hoping they stick.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It also ruins the beautiful movie cliche of clicking open the suitcase full of money.

"Have you bitchained me the block of coins yet? I'm anxious to conclude this illicit arrangement."

"Yeah, just a sec. It's just transferring a cryptographically verified log of this transaction to every computer in the world."

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Ola posted:

It also ruins the beautiful movie cliche of clicking open the suitcase full of money.

"Have you bitchained me the block of coins yet? I'm anxious to conclude this illicit arrangement."

"Yeah, just a sec. It's just transferring a cryptographically verified log of this transaction to every computer in the world."

i feel like the trope from the last 25 years or so is some hackerman with a rugged laptop looking at a money transfer progress indicator and nodding solemnly when its complete while both parties stand there ready for a shootout

which works with bitcoin i guess

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

thats not candy posted:

i feel like the trope from the last 25 years or so is some hackerman with a rugged laptop looking at a money transfer progress indicator and nodding solemnly when its complete while both parties stand there ready for a shootout

And somehow they always have the worst connection ever for "plot" purposes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

thats not candy posted:

"Can't believe we pulled it off. Guess it's margaritas in the Cayma...hey what the gently caress...this is doge coin!!"

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Became illiquid today going crazy stocking up on options, earnings plays and SPACs. (Not on margin or anything, just had a lot sitting in cash doing nothing).

The last time I went this hog wild was a day or two before the bottom fell out last year.

War with Iran when?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

MomJeans420 posted:

What happens with the ARK funds now that Resolute exercised its option? Also, re: ARK

Did you miss this?
https://citywireselector.com/news/cathie-wood-strikes-deal-to-keep-control-of-innovation-boutique-ark/a1445282

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 14, 2021

orange sky
May 7, 2007

From what I remember of Cathy re Tesla she pumped the gently caress out of it, Tesla is saving the world to her

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Smythe posted:

confucius said the smartest thing a smart person can do is pay people smarter than them to advise them and take care of their poo poo

https://www.napfa.org
Any other financial advisor is just chasing a sale and probably trying to rob you.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I did!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
FST's rumor is kind of a wet fart so I rolled it into FTIV warrants which are around $2.10.

Edit: Wait never mind.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 14, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m gonna roll my GIK wins into another SPAC tomorrow and I’m a little behind on what’s new. Any specific ringers to look at?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

movax posted:

Became illiquid today going crazy stocking up on options, earnings plays and SPACs. (Not on margin or anything, just had a lot sitting in cash doing nothing).

The last time I went this hog wild was a day or two before the bottom fell out last year.

War with Iran when?

Well Biden probably wants to get his cabinet locked in first so call it mid Feb?

I'm over here debating if I want to put more money into my play account as currently I'm all tied up.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
definitely should have waited until later in the day to trade some of my gik for cciv, or not at all whoops

im pretty sure if cciv/lucid doesn't go through that a mob will burn klein's house down

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Rolo posted:

I’m gonna roll my GIK wins into another SPAC tomorrow and I’m a little behind on what’s new. Any specific ringers to look at?

Depends on what you want, what I took out of GIK today I put into AACQ/FTOC because 1) below $11 2) A few more SPAC+BITCOIN targets is going to drag all the FinTech SPACs to $12+ for no reason even if these aren't a direct hit.

SPRQU unit split could have been today (52 days after last S1) but didn't. I am trusting reddit on the timing, but some units don't split on that first day available. The units have already gone to $12, but if commons are <$11 I'll probably get back in.

For not-near-NAV, still sitting on a lot FIII which has been lagging GIK this week despite being very similar and trading like it for the last month (EV SPACs with LOI announced on the same date, hovering between 13 and 15). I'm holding betting on it to catch up to GIK soon.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

My (kinda) near-NAV recommendation list:

AACQ, ACEV, CRHC, FUSE, GSAH, PCPL, RPLA, SOAC

Below $11 is very low risk

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

TheWevel posted:

I always get the feeling that by the time I hear about something, it's too late. How does one deal with that with stocks? Not so much FOMO but more like FOAMO. Fear of already missing out.

This has honestly kept me from investing in individual stocks; everything has been index funds and an ETF. This morning I placed my first buy orders ever, and I was scared shitless to do so.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

thats not candy posted:

definitely should have waited until later in the day to trade some of my gik for cciv, or not at all whoops

im pretty sure if cciv/lucid doesn't go through that a mob will burn klein's house down

Yeah I'll be pretty bummed if CCIV falls through. I think it's at least 80% likely to confirm. Bloomberg has a very good track record when they report these rumors.

Right now I'm risking 6000 to make 30k or more. I think a confirmation breaks 30 easily and 40 is a good bet. 50 is unlikely based on the valuation, but who knows, we all saw QS :shrug:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Rolo posted:

personally i have HZON and ZNTE, the latter is pretty new. both are pretty close to NAV and seem promising

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Lmao I jumped out at 17.56, fly high diamond hand havers

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah I'll be pretty bummed if CCIV falls through. I think it's at least 80% likely to confirm. Bloomberg has a very good track record when they report these rumors.

Right now I'm risking 6000 to make 30k or more. I think a confirmation breaks 30 easily and 40 is a good bet. 50 is unlikely based on the valuation, but who knows, we all saw QS :shrug:

i'm risking about the same with it and i can smell tendies

gik running up is good too but i think that's unlikely to go past 30. maybe it will surprise me and print big. nga did good things but i risked only a minuscule amount jumping in at 20 and then sold when it hit 30. not sure how much higher that's going to go but im out for now

edit. of course cramer just pumped nga so that'll probably jump another 10+ im dumb

thats not candy fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 15, 2021

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
ok, what's wsb doing with BB now. Did I miss something and go back to 2005?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rolo posted:

Oh my god my AAL calls are in the green again.

CCL get your rear end in gear.

Sold AAL a couple days ago at a small loss....which I rotated into TLRY, so I guess I'm smart. Really I was just parking it to avoid the wash sale, so now I dont know what to do. I know, first world problems.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Woodchip posted:

ok, what's wsb doing with BB now. Did I miss something and go back to 2005?

Something about selling patents and working with Sony?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

I just realized that, like a loving idiot, I've had IPOD, IPOF and SNPR units sitting there in my account unsplit. Went to have Schwab split them and they said it costs $40 flat fee for each split, plus it can take 1-4 weeks. Immediately closed the chat tab with a rep and transferred my account to Fidelity. Fuckers.

lol ask IBKR what it costs

quote:

Thinking of changing up my SPAC strategy a bit. I think what I'm going to start doing is specifically targeting units of SPACs that are within ~30 days of unit split but still trading close to NAV. Then ride them through the split, wait until commons catch up to my unit cost basis and then hit eject on the commons and just hold the warrants. This strategy of course excepts meme stocks like the Chamath ones which I'd for sure want to ride until at least a target is named.

I've been doing this for a few months, except I just wait a few days post-separation and sell both pieces. It went from being decently profitable with basically no risk to being VERY profitable with no risk to being profitable, but risky.

The problem is that it's a crowded trade and pretty much every SPAC is bid up past NAV now. Eventually this has to correct, and SPAC common will trade like a zero coupon bond how it used to, but who knows when that will happen.

In the meantime SPAC issuance is insane:

https://twitter.com/spac_insider/status/1349815950212784128?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Omne posted:

Something about selling patents and working with Sony?

It's memeing hard, but I am more amazed at seeing QNX being mentioned as much as it is. It's a goddamned near 40 year old operating system. We used it all the time for telematics units in the late 2000s, and I guess it's riding along with the EV-wave / bubble now since QNX gets designed in by folks as it retains a functional safety certification making it very usable for ASIL-compliant applications like... ADAS systems. BB owns it now, so yes, technically, any time someone licenses QNX for their ECU controlling lane-keep assist, BB gets money.

It's a real short list for the automotive IC suppliers that are worth a drat + will continue (at least with the real big OEMs) to get designed into anything because they've been working with them for decades, and I think I have them all in my portfolio already. They just don't move as fast.

e: also having written all the above, I'm sitting on BB shares, BB calls for 2/5, 2/12 and Jan 2022 calls because gently caress it, I'm not sitting out of something like GME again. poo poo went up like 400% in 2 days.

e2: gently caress me, it's $10.45 AH? Did the FB settlement clear?

movax fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 15, 2021