Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I forgot about Guttenberg. He actually dropped out of the series after part 4 to do Three Men and a Baby, which made a metric buttload of money, so good for him.
It boggles my mind that Three Men and a Baby was the biggest hit of 1987.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Tom Selleck and Ted Danson were the most popular male leads on TV, so combining that star power in a family-friendly comedy with a massive amount of appeal to adult women was, well, what it was: the recipe to a very very big hit.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The trajectory of the Police Academy movies always amused me. The first one is your standard raunchy late 70s/early 80s comedy with a solid R rating. It does well so I guess they wanted more...kids to see it? Because the first sequel was PG-13, and then every one after that was PG with humor aimed at ten year olds. With the exception of the Blue Oyster Bar scenes.

They turned it into a cartoon and a line of action figures, too:

https://youtu.be/QCUoYIECWAY

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Starring Susanna Hoffs and directed by Tamar Hoffs. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The Cameo posted:

Tom Selleck and Ted Danson were the most popular male leads on TV, so combining that star power in a family-friendly comedy with a massive amount of appeal to adult women was, well, what it was: the recipe to a very very big hit.

This was also around the time of the "Echo Boom": lots of Baby Boomers were now starting families of their own and in the media you suddenly saw a lot of movies about babies and having kids and parenting. I suspect it's also why Ghostbusters II is so heavily focused on Dana having a kid.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've never heard the name Tamar before, so presumed it was her husband (the Simon bit didn't hurt). Turns out I'm wrong!

quote:

A perfectly dreadful film whose chief selling point is that it's the first starring role for Bangles lead singer Susanna Hoffs and that the director is none other than Mom, Tamar Simon Hoffs.

Anyway, I've never looked at a poster and had that film entered in my Cult and Trash section of Plex so fast, thanks for posting!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Splint Chesthair posted:

They turned it into a cartoon and a line of action figures, too:

https://youtu.be/QCUoYIECWAY

Sounds familiar...

https://youtu.be/Pp8Ur8D8Obo

What a weird time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dissapointed Owl posted:

e: wrong thread

penance:

It's a fun movie, done by "Savage " Steve Holland of "Better Off Dead" fame. Also, all that dialogue in the word balloons on the poster? Not in the film.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Davros1 posted:

It's a fun movie, done by "Savage " Steve Holland of "Better Off Dead" fame. Also, all that dialogue in the word balloons on the poster? Not in the film.

Yeah I was going to also say the movie is entertaining but the poster isn't the tone or the quality of the writing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

This was also around the time of the "Echo Boom": lots of Baby Boomers were now starting families of their own and in the media you suddenly saw a lot of movies about babies and having kids and parenting. I suspect it's also why Ghostbusters II is so heavily focused on Dana having a kid.

This is true, and also explains the existence and disturbingly large success of Look Who’s Talking.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

This also implies we'll be getting a massive influx of the same pretty soon, if not presently. If the late 80's was a bunch of 30-something Boomers having children, we're in the splash zone for 30-something Millennials doing the exact same thing. I know most of my mid-30's friends all had children in the last ~4 years, and we're closer to the Gen X side of the Millennial distribution curve.

Anna Kendrick, Chris Pratt, and Kevin Hart in Look Who's T4lking. It'll suck.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Millennials are currently on a negative population growth trajectory, so that’s doubtful. About three out of every five children born to Millennial mothers were already born before 2018. There is no baby boom for Millennials to have, because economic forces have basically squashed the ability to have a level of comfort for enough of the generation to even consider having kids.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Xealot posted:

This also implies we'll be getting a massive influx of the same pretty soon, if not presently. If the late 80's was a bunch of 30-something Boomers having children, we're in the splash zone for 30-something Millennials doing the exact same thing. I know most of my mid-30's friends all had children in the last ~4 years, and we're closer to the Gen X side of the Millennial distribution curve.

Anna Kendrick, Chris Pratt, and Kevin Hart in Look Who's T4lking. It'll suck.

The differences between not only the Boomer and Millennial generations, but also 80's Hollywood and today's make think that is unlikely. A few occurrences, yes, I doubt anything of note, and most likely straight to streaming (even without Covid).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As an Echo Boomer myself I remember when Millennials were called Echo Boomers.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I will never forgive John Cusack for hating Better Off Dead.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's a classic but there is definitely a better movie in there. The claymation Everybody Wants Some scene kind of stands out to me as something that may be horrible on re-watch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How could claymation ever be horrible?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Gripweed posted:

How could claymation ever be horrible?

Even Laserblast had solid claymation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVII3jslO2o&t=76s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Laserblast is better than people give it credit for. It's certainly aged way better than you'd think

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
EDDIE

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZEEEEEEEEENNNNNN

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Our generations “30 Something” would be half of us living at home, a quarter with 4 roommates and the other quarter struggling to survive.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The thing about Segal movies, from what little I can remember, is that he never seemed in actual danger in fights. He just kicked the poo poo out of everybody with no drama or danger to his character

Imagine if the t 800 just effortlessly beat the t1000 in every encounter

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mgIWmCSK_Q

THAT'S RIGHT, STEVEN SEAGAL killed a puppy

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I will never forgive John Cusack for hating Better Off Dead.

I thought he hated One Crazy Summer, he liked Better Off Dead enough to do a second movie with the director.

The story I heard was from Savage Steve Holland himself at a double feature screening. Better Off Dead was a good enough experience for the two to work together again on One Crazy Summer. After shooting, Holland showed a preview cut to the cast and crew, Cusack was dead silent throughout the screening, left and hasn’t talked to the director since.

Still sucks either way as both movies are masterpieces, weird claymation/animation segments and all.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It's because he's a miserable drunk.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

zenintrude posted:

Sounds familiar...

https://youtu.be/Pp8Ur8D8Obo

What a weird time.

Knew this was gonna be Robocop before I clicked the link

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Same.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

ruddiger posted:

Still sucks either way as both movies are masterpieces, weird claymation/animation segments and all.

And yet still not the most important thing Savage Steve Holland gave the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asqNyc8XdmA

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Xealot posted:

I think the equivalent of that was all the Dad Games (Last of Us, Fallout 4, new God of War, etc).

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Weird, thumbnail didn't show up for me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dangerous Person posted:

It's not embedded in the post and just shows as a link in a browser, but some of the mobile apps autoembed unembedded youtubes

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dangerous Person posted:

I get thumbnails when viewing the forums on my phone but not on desktop. I'm not quite sure what's up with that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ruddiger posted:

I thought he hated One Crazy Summer, he liked Better Off Dead enough to do a second movie with the director.

The story I heard was from Savage Steve Holland himself at a double feature screening. Better Off Dead was a good enough experience for the two to work together again on One Crazy Summer. After shooting, Holland showed a preview cut to the cast and crew, Cusack was dead silent throughout the screening, left and hasn’t talked to the director since.

He tells the same story in his AV Club interview. What he thinks is that Cusack's stock was rising as an Actor but now he was in this silly comedy and felt embarrassed by it all.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Erebus posted:

And yet still not the most important thing Savage Steve Holland gave the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asqNyc8XdmA
Why Zoltar, why would you want to destroy such a great planet as Earth? A planet full of wonderful things. I mean we've got rivers and fields and children and Dr. Seuss and Woody Allen and Mr. Rogers and Monet, the Muppets, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Shakespeare, Louis Armstrong, the Barbi Twins and...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Con Air would've been improved by casting someone other than John Cusack

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Out for Justice is perfect garbage trash and I love it very much.

Is that the one with

"I'm gonna take YOU to the bank...the blood bank!"

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

oldpainless posted:

The thing about Segal movies, from what little I can remember, is that he never seemed in actual danger in fights. He just kicked the poo poo out of everybody with no drama or danger to his character

Imagine if the t 800 just effortlessly beat the t1000 in every encounter

Oh, absolutely. I seem to remember more than once instance of Segal literally begging crimepunks to fight him, getting on his knees and saying, "I'll close my eyes on my knees, you kick me in the face first, go ahead take your best shot"

Did I mention the thing where he only goes for movies with three short words as a title? He thinks it makes the movies better, a good luck charm from the time when he was thinner, younger, and somehow had less hair

(gently caress steven segal lol)
e: I remember that time he was being interviewed about the UFC fight he just saw, and he put on his yellow operator sunglasses so he could oogle the interviewer's tits the whole time, I guess not remembering that we can see his eyes through the frames

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 15, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cats, sacks, man, wives - how many went to see St. Ives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That's about as complimentary as you can draw Charles Bronson, so that is at least noteworthy.