Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

i mean, is it any more ridiculous than everything else to do with bitcoin

look, anything that gets us closer to the shittiest possible shadowrun dystopia is a win by me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

yeah this feels like the right thread, dumbest timeline, etc. etc.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1349789586097111044?s=20

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Flavahbeast posted:

the Spec Ops franchise warned us about this

somebody recommended me it to me and i looked at the box before playing it and thought "another call of duty clone? this looks godawful"

boy was i wrong

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

pmchem posted:

domestic terror?

no, foreign interference!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the article says the payments cane from a French computer programmer who gave all his savings to alt-right sites and personalities and then killed himself due to terminal health issues

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

pmchem posted:

I actually was domestic gladio

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

the article says the payments cane from a French computer programmer who gave all his savings to alt-right sites and personalities and then killed himself due to terminal health issues

wow what a dick

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

pmchem posted:

RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Owned

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Main Paineframe posted:

bbbut bitcoin is untraceable and uncensorable!!!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1349540398360834051

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

#blessed imo

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Spotify hires a shell company to create fake musicians and fake songs to insert into their official playlists, so those artists eat streams from the real ones and they don't have to pay out as much money

https://twitter.com/SociableBarely/status/1349788411926777856

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
music's not even banging, what gives?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Algund Eenboom posted:

Spotify hires a shell company to create fake musicians and fake songs to insert into their official playlists, so those artists eat streams from the real ones and they don't have to pay out as much money

https://twitter.com/SociableBarely/status/1349788411926777856

Lmao, there are plenty of terrible royalty-free musicians and songs they could use such as Arden Park Roots, the Brodys and other generic fuckers no one's heard of.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Library composers need work too :unsmith:

quote:

I didn't realize Spotify themselves was fully complicit though...
Bullshit, that news is several years old

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

the healing power of anime.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

music's not even banging, what gives?

If Spotify inserts 3 minutes of lovely music into a 120 minute long playlist they won't lose listener interest *most likely* and they just saved paying out royalties on 2.5% of the playlist length which they can now effectively pocket for themselves since the fake artist is them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

tangy yet delightful posted:

If Spotify inserts 3 minutes of lovely music into a 120 minute long playlist they won't lose listener interest *most likely* and they just saved paying out royalties on 2.5% of the playlist length which they can now effectively pocket for themselves since the fake artist is them.

A lot of listeners enjoy industrially mass-produced generic music, those artists probably have above-average ratings

Nim_Chimsky
Mar 23, 2019

OFFICIAL SKELETON
WAR PARTICIPANT

Fun Shoe
hail satan

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Genuine inquiry:

What is "fake music"?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Chamale posted:

A lot of listeners enjoy industrial
:pcgaming:

Wore my Frontline Assembly hat to work because it's loving cold out and my coworker was asking about them and I tried explaining what industrial was, then gave up and played Frontline Assembly's newest track off Youtube. Luckily, it slaps.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theres a pretty good chance that spotify pays the anonymous muzak artists it hires more than they would make if they released it on spotify themeslves and got the same amount of streams

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

The Bloop posted:

Genuine inquiry:

What is "fake music"?

technically everything is music since any attempt to produce non-music is automatically music

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Genuine inquiry:

What is "fake music"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsxwwhJ6GrY

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Genuine inquiry:

What is "fake music"?

ghost producers hired by spotify to fill out playlists. works best with poo poo like ambient or 'chill sad piano' that businesses just throw on in the background and forget about. the artist-owned competition is so boring that nobody notices

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

The Bloop posted:

Genuine inquiry:

What is "fake music"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPuH1yeZ08

My sister and I genuinely enjoy this track for reasons we cannot accurately explain.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Genuine inquiry:

What is "fake music"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4k1IK_o59M

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

ghost producers hired by spotify to fill out playlists. works best with poo poo like ambient or 'chill sad piano' that businesses just throw on in the background and forget about. the artist-owned competition is so boring that nobody notices

Sure but this is just ghostwritten music right? Fake frontperson, sure, but isn't the point of spotify to hear similar genre things, not specific artists?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Sure but this is just ghostwritten music right? Fake frontperson, sure, but isn't the point of spotify to hear similar genre things, not specific artists?

yea they only do it with genres where individual artists don't matter that much but people object to it because getting on these playlists is pretty much the only way anyone makes money

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

yea they only do it with genres where individual artists don't matter that much but people object to it because getting on these playlists is pretty much the only way anyone makes money

I see, and the actual creators (because someone DID create this music) just did it for a once and done paycheck and then the service owns it, is that the core of it?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Unmonetised vaporwave playlists on Youtube are the future of free music listening.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Bloop posted:

I see, and the actual creators (because someone DID create this music) just did it for a once and done paycheck and then the service owns it, is that the core of it?

The service doesn't own it, but the license is royalty-free. So yeah, single paycheck

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Royalty-free music is so hard to find lyrics for, you start to feel insane typing the lyrics into search engines and most of the time, it's not documented anywhere.

Mattress Firm had royalty-free music for the longest time and it was so confusing as to be existentially terrifying.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Bloop posted:

The point of Spotify is evidently to hear completely unrelated trash that either means Spotify's playlist curation is entirely garbage, or that they sell priority in the algorithm.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Spotify is fine. If you listen to current music, you're accustomed to listening to garbage anyways. Might as well serve more of what the customer wants. No harm no foul.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fame Douglas posted:

Spotify is fine. If you listen to current music, you're accustomed to listening to garbage anyways. Might as well serve more of what the customer wants. No harm no foul.

This take would be reasonable if we didn't have an app called NewPipe.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
So I am a bit of a contrarian, musically so I searched electro swing and it nearly ruined my day. However,

Tubgoat posted:

: Luckily, it slaps.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

exmachina posted:

So I am a bit of a contrarian, musically so I searched electro swing and it nearly ruined my day. However,
Oof. I'm glad to be quoted but I do not care for electro swing, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Bloop posted:

yep

endlessmonotony posted:

The point of Spotify is evidently to hear completely unrelated trash that either means Spotify's playlist curation is entirely garbage, or that they sell priority in the algorithm.

labels buy algorithm priority by buying placements in unofficial playlists but these are the official spotify playlists that the app recommends to you that are way more popular and lucrative. its filler so they dont have to pay as many people