Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You mean Multiple Formula One Podiist Lance Stroll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

sounds pretty good to me op

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

net work error posted:

Lance going for a rugged and handsome look this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug4muGKyWMo

hubba hubba what a man :swoon:

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
gently caress Cognizant tho

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnussen-reputation-for-hulkenberg-comment-became-annoying/5029150/

Come on KMag, don't walk back your best comment

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lance stroll and mazepin r two peas from the same pod, they’ll prob be grid friends

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ethanol posted:

Lance stroll and mazepin r two peas from the same pod, they’ll prob be grid friends

the gently caress kind of peas you grow

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

the gently caress kind of peas you grow

Well funded ones, apparently.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

*splits open pea pod*
*is deafened by distorted hardbass music and an earthshattering voice shouting BLYAT BLYAT CYKA BLYAT at me*

the other pea is gravy

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Has Stroll done something horribly offensive I don't know about? I thought his main issue was that he was a mediocre driver who just has a seat because he made his dad buy a racing team.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ethanol posted:

This is the kind of dumb as poo poo take I'd expect from the Marxism thread where people talk about how much they hate nazis whilst simultaneously deciding who is first against the wall and who goes to the gulag without a shred of self awareness.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Impossible to to tell who will be first into the wall, could be either of them

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Max is still around

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Has Stroll done something horribly offensive I don't know about? I thought his main issue was that he was a mediocre driver who just has a seat because he made his dad buy a racing team.

Honestly Stroll seems to be as inoffensive as billionaire failsons can get, Mazepin is far worse. I still despise him because he is a billionaire failson though.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
stroll is not good enough to be on f1 and his dad just bought and entire loving team but he isnt as bad as grossjean. also he is a ferrari drivers academy dude so he is okay with me in conclusion stroll is a land of contrasts.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

stroll seems like a nice canadian lad but his dad is garbage

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
So how’s about that 2021 F1 calendar based on the Covid situation not being as bad as last year

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Have you seen his face OP

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

cgfreak posted:

Honestly Stroll seems to be as inoffensive as billionaire failsons can get, Mazepin is far worse. I still despise him because he is a billionaire failson though.

Lol at calling him a failson when he has achieved more than you could ever dream

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

he made his dad buy a racing team
This is a rather motorsport-normative assumption, what if Lawrence pushed Lance into this career and Lance always wanted to be a puppeteer? It would explain some of his driving performances

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is a rather motorsport-normative assumption, what if Lawrence pushed Lance into this career and Lance always wanted to be a puppeteer? It would explain some of his driving performances

That explains his Thunderbirds like eyebrows.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
MODS??

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

stroll is not good enough to be on f1

Ehhhhhh…I think he is? His dad put him in a good car, but you don’t podium in F1 you just plain suck at driving cars.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I might have a line on a new kart engine. I'm making inquiries.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Big Jesus posted:

Lol at calling him a failson when he has achieved more than you could ever dream
Give me an unlimited budget for comparison and see what I can achieve.
Enough money to sway MS into developing Access features I need?
Imagine the potential.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Dangerllama posted:

Ehhhhhh…I think he is? His dad put him in a good car, but you don’t podium in F1 you just plain suck at driving cars.

Race Winner Pastor Maldonado

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Worst thread whipping boy Romain Grosjean has 10 F1 podiums to his name.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Tsaedje posted:

Worst thread whipping boy Romain Grosjean has 10 F1 podiums to his name.
Now do Worst Thread toy boy Nico Hülkenberg.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
After a break from watching old F1 to instead watch nerds abusing video games for a solid week, I've finished what little of the 1984 season this site lets you see.

All but one team entered turbo cars, and Martin Brundel is one of the men misfortunate enough to get the naturally aspirated Tyrell. Martin Brundel was one of the two newcomers to come up from F3, the other being Ayrton Senna. The commentators seemed to praise Brundel as a hopeful, but it obviously didn't pan out. At a very wet Monaco, Senna gave a stellar performance in a car that's ordinarily back marker. His bravery has him work from the back of the pack up to 2nd place and gaining fast on Alain Prost before the race is red flagged.

In the brief overview I was able to get of 84, I saw many gearbox failures. It was enough to wonder if there was some general issue with transmission at the time. Maybe the characteristics of the turbo car was an unknown for some of these teams, but either way the sight of a car rolling free on the road was all too familiar this season. As was the sight of a BMW Turbo on fire.

Towards the end of the season a rivalry emerged between teammates Alain Prost and Niki Lauda. I've said in previous seasons that the seasoned Austrian is able to play games of timing and psychology, where Prost drops the ball when it counts. This season, which pits the two against each other, shows this exact form. Prost drops the ball time and time again while Lauda scoops up the points needed to swipe the championship.

With not much seen of this season there's not as much to say, and 85 is also looking like it'll be threadbare viewing, but 86 thankfully has more coverage.

I anticipate that Senna is going to bag himself a decent car for his troubles in the wet at Monaco, and that Arnoux is going to shrink into obscurity. Perhaps McLaren keeps its Lauda/Prost lineup in which case I wonder if this will be the rivalry to watch. I know from my dad's old stories that Prost/Senna become the main rivals to watch, but surely not this early in Senna's career.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
For the last loving time - the Toleman was not a backmarker. I don’t know why pundits/media guys keep repeating this line. The TG183B and TG184 were good cars if a little ungainly.

RE: Monaco ‘84 - Bellof was the most impressive driver that day. Nobody noticed.

Tyrrell also kept using the DFV (DFY?) because he was a notorious spendthrift. The 012 was probably a race winner with any other engine. Transmission durability during the turbo era was poor - at full qualifying boost the gearboxes maybe could last about 2 laps.

Frond fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 17, 2021

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frond posted:

For the last loving time - the Toleman was not a backmarker. I don’t know why pundits/media guys keep repeating this line. The TG183B and TG184 were good cars if a little ungainly.

Maybe if it didn't retire so often it could have demonstrated that. With its placing, though, it's no RAM or true backmarker but "good" isn't good enough in F1 racing. Everyone's good, to get somewhere you need to excel, and excellence is clearly not what the machine had.

I only see what the camera points at and hear what the pundits say. Bellof didn't draw their attention.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 17, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

Maybe if it didn't retire so often it could have demonstrated that. With its placing, though, it's no RAM or true backmarker but "good" isn't good enough in F1 racing. Everyone's good, to get somewhere you need to excel, and excellence is clearly not what the machine had.

I only see what the camera points at and hear what the pundits say. Bellof didn't draw their attention.

Indeed. I don’t blame people for thinking the Toleman was awful - it’s been repeated not only by pundits but also in the Senna documentary. The Tolemans were never reliable but always quite quick from the TG183 on. It’s a bit disingenuous to class it with the Osellas, Spirits and RAMS which were the actual backmarker cars. It was also better than the Ligiers, Arrows, and the like.

Make the car fast first then go for reliability. If you do the reverse, you end up with the Forti FG01- a car that was reliable but so slow that it sometimes wasn’t classified because it was lapped so many times.

Frond fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 17, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Also, outside of the McLaren that year I wouldn’t call any of the cars excellent aside from the Brabham, which had atrocious reliability. Very fast though, although likely helped by the fact that the TAG-Porsches did not have qualifying engines.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Pablo Bluth posted:

Now do Worst Thread toy boy Nico Hülkenberg.

Would it surprise you to discover that despite over a decade in the sport, he never managed to do better than 4th, a thing that literally Tiago Montiero managed

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Tsaedje posted:

Would it surprise you to discover that despite over a decade in the sport, he never managed to do better than 4th, a thing that literally Tiago Montiero managed
I bet he just had rubbish cars and his team mates never managed podiums either...

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Probably the most insane take is that Hulkenberg is better than Perez.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Frond posted:

Probably the most insane take is that Hulkenberg is better than Perezdro de la Rosa

Ftfy

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pablo Bluth posted:

I bet he just had rubbish cars and his team mates never managed podiums either...

Truth is he was supposed to be in the Porsche Super Cup support races but got mixed up and ended up in an F1 car by accident. Nobody questioned it and he had a decade long career out of it. :shrug:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
1997 is perplexing as all the cars seem to be decent to great but most of the drivers can’t seem to get a handle on them. Bad reliability from the Stewarts and McLarens (who have the prettiest car). It’s been said before but the field quality sucks, particularly the guys that came from ‘94-onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Was ‘97 when they downsized the cars or was that ‘98?