Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok, yeah, the Vanity Fair article says:

quote:

Everest was the last peak in Pittman’s grand plan to become the third woman in history to scale the Top Seven, the highest mountains on each continent.

So she had climbed (six of) the Seven Summits, and not six of the seven highest mountains in the world, all of which are concentrated in the Himalayas and Karakorams and are actively hostile to human life by sheer dint of there ain't enough loving air to keep you alive, in addition to all the usual mountaineering hazards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crazycryodude posted:

Not really, the actual mountain itself is a moderately challenging hike that anyone in decent shape can do, there's no technical challenge just "did you buy a coat warm enough to not freeze to death Y/N?". The hard part is having the money and connections to get to the rear end end of nowhere to begin with, if you can get to the foot of Mount Vinson getting to the top is no problem. Climbing it proves you're rich and connected, not that you're a good mountaineer.

One day this will be almost word-for-word true of Olympus Mons, except that it’s really wide so the hike would take several days.

Some rich rear end in a top hat will be first to the top. :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

One day this will be almost word-for-word true of Olympus Mons, except that it’s really wide so the hike would take several days.

If Elon Musk sends himself to Mars, you can guarantee he will make sure that he is the first person to make it to the top.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

If Elon Musk sends himself to Mars, you can guarantee he will make sure that he is the first person to make it to the top.

It won't be considered a real ascent unless he does it without supplemental O2 though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Olympus Mons is so shallow that if you're standing at the foot of it, the peak is under the horizon

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Anyone going to summit loving olympus mons will naturally be insanely connected. But assuming one does not use a more sensible vehicle, one must climb through that nasty escarpment and/or walking weeks with no atmosphere (low gravity through!), probably through thick layers of volcanic dust (think walking through Rub al-Khali at places) in a spacesuit that you can't afford to break in any way, carrying the appropriate gear and supplies (though rocket in oxygen, food and shelter to base camps I guess), in gravity that will weaken them over time (assuming the person is a recent arrival and not a native). So I'm pretty confident it would still require a real major physical effort to perform without dying during the attempt.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Think about the Sherpas forced to make musk safe on olympus mons

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Tired: climbing Olympus Mons

Wired: climbing Rheasilvia

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
When will someone be brave enough to try to climb one of the underwater mountains here on earth, just going down

Or starting from the bottom and walking up? Idk, I’m not a mountaineer

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

rockear posted:

This thread's got me watching mountaineering youtubes. This one to me conveys the absolute terror of ice climbing and steep ski descents better than anything I've seen. These dudes seem a little out of their depth honestly. As someone who's done a tiny bit of off piste snowboarding some parts of this gave me stomach cramps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkigzUFr3ys

https://youtu.be/TiGkU_eXJa8

Not sure if it was posted already but this one did it for me. I freaking love off piste skiing but holy hell I would rather saw off my legs than attempt this.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

rotinaj posted:

When will someone be brave enough to try to climb one of the underwater mountains here on earth, just going down

Or starting from the bottom and walking up? Idk, I’m not a mountaineer

No Sherpas underwater :coolfish:

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020
This was published yesterday:

https://rockandice.com/climbing-news/alan-arnette-winter-k2-update-camp-2-destroyed-expeditions-in-jeopardy/

quote:

Weekend winds destroyed Camps 1 and 2 plus a lower so-called “Japanese Camp.” Climbers cached their summit gear, and now a couple of teams are reporting it lost. The tents were secured and the gear stuffed into sacks for protection, but the winds, gusting over 80 mph, easily ripped the tents apart or blew the technical equipment and anchors off the mountain, including precious oxygen bottles.

Big "gently caress you" energy from K2.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wind died though, and the Nepalis are making a run at the summit right now. Slow going, last update had them rope fixing towards the bottleneck, summit potentially in 3-4 hours.

https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2021/01/15/winter-k2-summit-update-2-tracking-the-historic-summit-push/

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Hope K2 collapses 612m after the Nepali teams safely descent.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Pack it up, folks. Mountain climbing has been conquered.

https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2021/01/16/winter-k2-update-first-winter-k2-summit/

"Around 5:00 pm on Saturday, January 16, 2021, the team of Sherpas and Nepalis stood on the summit of the world’s second-highest mountain, K2, on the border of Pakistan and China. They are positioning the summit as a victory for Nepal and the Sherpa nation. All ten climbers stopped 30-feet below the summit on a relatively safe spot (still on a 40-degree snow slope at 28,200-feet) so that they could summit together in a sign of solidarity. No individual was listed as first."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They have to make it down alive or it doesn’t count. :colbert:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Lol at the absolute vitriol and palpable envy that’s right now being poured out by “ice warriors” in the Polish media.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

No Sherpas underwater :coolfish:

Diving is a whole wonderful world of breathing bizarre gas mixes and feeling totally safe right up until you make a mistake and die *gets high huffing nitrogen*

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Strategic Tea posted:

Diving is a whole wonderful world of breathing bizarre gas mixes and feeling totally safe right up until you make a mistake and die *gets high huffing nitrogen*

Tech diving is right up (down?) there with death-zone mountain climbing in the blatant-disregard-for-self-preservation department.

That said, there is no nap better than a post-dive narcosis nap. :v:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Strategic Tea posted:

oops that one fin kick was slightly too aggressive and outside perfect form, I guess it's time for all the silt in the cave to cloud our vision and make the loved ones of my two friends and myself widows and orphans

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

aw shucks, upwards of a few dozen people get to deal with the trauma of losing a child, a spouse, a lover, a parent, a close friend, all because I needed to get my danger rocks off

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dude shut up, you're giving divers poo poo yet you've said precisely nothing about the number of people who end up jerkin themselves to death while they've got a belt tied around their neck in a closet.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Drone_Fragger posted:

Dude shut up, you're giving divers poo poo yet you've said precisely nothing about the number of people who end up jerkin themselves to death while they've got a belt tied around their neck in a closet.

Noone else dies when you gently caress up your autoerotic strangulation.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If it's all consensual :shrug:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Outrail posted:

Noone else dies when you gently caress up your autoerotic strangulation.

Lots of people die

...Of laughter!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Lol at the absolute vitriol and palpable envy that’s right now being poured out by “ice warriors” in the Polish media.

What's this about?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Munin posted:

What's this about?

Polish teams managed 7 winter first ascents and tried and failed K2 repeatedly.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
If we’re talking underwater senseless deaths then there are plenty of those too from crazy spelunkers

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Cave diving just seems like you're having a giggle, honestly. Was being underwater (the place where you can't breathe) not enough for you, my dude?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They just keep coming :confused:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't dive or climb mountains (because I'm a wimp) but this sign scares the poo poo out of me anyways, for some reason.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MrYenko posted:

Tech diving is right up (down?) there with death-zone mountain climbing in the blatant-disregard-for-self-preservation department.
Diving is a useful skill that supports all manner of industry and rescue situations.

Mountain climbing supports the mountain climbing industry and mountain climber rescue industry.

The two are nothing alike

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The folks at the printer got that all screwed up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Platystemon posted:

The folks at the printer got that all screwed up.

Lmao...nice job.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

That's exactly the sign I'd put outside the cave I kept my treasure in.

For further illustration of how loving insane divers can be, enjoy this story of an idiot throwing his life away in an attempt to raise the body of someone else who died when they thought it was a good idea to try diving to 900 feet underwater in a loving cave.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I saw a sign exactly like that when I was diving in cenotes dos ojos. It's completely safe. Just pay attention to the sign and follow your guide.

Edit: that cave diving story is great. Now that's dangerous cave diving.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

gohuskies posted:

Having climbed six of the seven summits does not make you a skilled climber. All but Denali and Everest are just hikes of varying degrees of strenuousness, and even Denali doesn't have any technical climbing.

Yeah nah that’s easily in the realm of “someone who actually belongs around a place like Everest.” It’s highly unlikely you’d bother doing that unless you were pretty into mountaineering.

Drone_Fragger posted:

As a nurse unironically both are extremely preferable compared to the way the vast majority of people die.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I don't dive or climb mountains (because I'm a wimp) but this sign scares the poo poo out of me anyways, for some reason.

Basic standard open water tourist diving is _amazing_, mostly completely safe (unless you're an idiot and do stuff you're not trained for), and you can always nope out of there and go up to the place where you can breathe if something goes wrong. My favourite holiday-in-the-sun activity ;D

Cave diving (which will just kill you for any reason whatsoever) & rebreather diving (where equipment failure will literally kill you almost instantly without you knowing you are dying) are the reserve of idiots and crazy people who have a death wish, which is why that sign is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

kalleth posted:

Cave diving (which will just kill you for any reason whatsoever) & rebreather diving (where equipment failure will literally kill you almost instantly without you knowing you are dying) are the reserve of idiots and crazy people who have a death wish, which is why that sign is there.

I am trying to remember the one deep diving location that people keep throwing their lives away trying to get to the bottom- it's so deep that after top deep diving experts died there, the guy who went down to get their remains died, too (it was in National Geographic). Divers who lived describe it like mountaineering without oxygen- your thinking fuzzes up and is glacial and before you know it you're out of oxygen several hundred feet under water and your mind shuts down.