Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

haveblue posted:

Are there any good celebrity cameos in video games

https://youtu.be/gZrcUDRUBjw?t=214

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

haveblue posted:

e: Not just voice cast, celebrities appearing as their own name and likeness. The only one I can think of is Aisha Tyler appearing as an NPC in Watchdogs 1. And I think a video game journalist appeared as a space journalist in ME3 and that made people angry for some reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vyu3Ilmi2w

Weedle
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

e: Not just voice cast, celebrities appearing as their own name and likeness. The only one I can think of is Aisha Tyler appearing as an NPC in Watchdogs 1. And I think a video game journalist appeared as a space journalist in ME3 and that made people angry for some reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uamBogwYRuk

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I love how he gets introduced as “Man with a Big Head”.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

I was gonna post this before I saw your video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IT2EZIKQWzE&t=4s

Also not really a celebrity, but the president and CEO of Square Enix, and the CEO of platinum games https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=chLGfUIQeiw

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 17, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

rabidsquid posted:

i'm not sure what alternative you're looking for here. you want to collect all the valuables and you don't like that you need detective vision to do it. so you want the collectibles to be easier to find? if the problem is detective vision makes it too easy you can just not use it. if the problem is you don't like detective vision but you want to be able to get all collectibles stealthily i think you'll find a lot of people wouldn't like that as much.

i actually kind of like knowing where to find something and then figuring out how to get to it more than i like hoping to stumble across something in the course of just wandering. it feels more puzzly, and i liked the puzzly aspect of the game.
Actually, yes, you got that pretty much right. I would've personally liked the valuables to be less granular, more like hidden caches rather than the "coins and valuables scattered all over the place" thing that Dishonored did. Thief was always pretty good at letting you find its valuables through logic and careful searching, because it didn't have a crutch like that to rely on. I don't mind the Dark Vision power in and of itself, just how much the game seems to lean on you having it in that regard. It's not that I think it's too easy if you use it, more that it's very tedious if you don't.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 17, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

haveblue posted:

Don't the Hitman games have some as targets? I think Gary Busey and Sean Bean were added as some kind of special targets? No idea how deep their integration was however and if it was just skins or they actually had dialog.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

keith david in saints row 4

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have to say that the idea of "i want to get the achievement and the game makes me play it wrong to do so, so the game is bad" is such a wild take. you're letting a single achievement ruin your enjoyment of a game? do you have some compulsion where you have to platinum every game? that's not a problem with the game.

if you feel like your immersion can't handle killing some dudes, just kill them. you can kill like 25% of all enemies on eveery single level and stay low chaos if you care about that for the narrative purposes. if you just want to get the achievement just accept that you're playing in an ~unrealistic~ way once to do so and it's not a reflection on the narrative. because it's not real. it's a fake trophy made of pixels.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

i have to say that the idea of "i want to get the achievement and the game makes me play it wrong to do so, so the game is bad" is such a wild take. you're letting a single achievement ruin your enjoyment of a game? do you have some compulsion where you have to platinum every game? that's not a problem with the game.

if you feel like your immersion can't handle killing some dudes, just kill them. you can kill like 25% of all enemies on eveery single level and stay low chaos if you care about that for the narrative purposes. if you just want to get the achievement just accept that you're playing in an ~unrealistic~ way once to do so and it's not a reflection on the narrative. because it's not real. it's a fake trophy made of pixels.

And along those lines, I don't get why stories wrapping up saying that 'it was all a dream' or 'a script for a story someone was writing' or something is a negative for so many people. So the first part of it being a fictional story was okay, but then when it's a second layer of it not even being fake real to the actors involved that takes it too far?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Some people might have OCD and find that it really bugs them? I think an elegant solution would be an OS-level change whereby if a user wants to, they can simply disable the trophy feature altogether so instead it just shows a list of what games they own and nothing more. I think some people would be relieved if an option such as that was introduced.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RareAcumen posted:

And along those lines, I don't get why stories wrapping up saying that 'it was all a dream' or 'a script for a story someone was writing' or something is a negative for so many people. So the first part of it being a fictional story was okay, but then when it's a second layer of it not even being fake real to the actors involved that takes it too far?
That's kinda on the same level as asking "why are you sad this character died, it's not like they were a real person" when someone cries at a sad scene in a movie. It's a very :goonsay: thing to do. People get emotionally invested and do not enjoy having the rug pulled out under the feet of that investment. It's not difficult.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cardiovorax posted:

That's kinda on the same level as asking "why are you sad this character died, it's not like they were a real person" when someone cries at a sad scene in a movie. It's a very :goonsay: thing to do. People get emotionally invested and do not enjoy having the rug pulled out under the feet of that investment. It's not difficult.

edit: oh wait i misread this.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

nerve posted:

god drat RDR2 was a good game

Yeah, I never touched the multiplayer but the world was so well built, and holy poo poo, a good prequel?? Where the story makes some sense???? Unheard of

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Imhotep posted:

It’s a curse and the reason why there’s an average of less than one chapter of Berserk released per year
I feel like I missed a joke. Does Miura spend all his time playing Imas instead of writing, or something?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The best "its all a dream" plot is in Driver San Francisco. What a weird rear end game that way, funny and creative in a way you'd never expect a driving game to be and the ending is just hilarious and insane.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I get that part because that's kinda the scenario we all have to accept for any piece of fiction to work but I unno the 'Ugh, it was fake again on top of not being real in the first place? Whatever, I don't care anymore' reaction kinda loses me.

Like would anyone regret platinuming Bloodborne if Bloodborne 2 expands on the story and it turns out none of the first game actually happened since it was all a hell dream?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Caesar Saladin posted:

The best "its all a dream" plot is in Driver San Francisco. What a weird rear end game that way, funny and creative in a way you'd never expect a driving game to be and the ending is just hilarious and insane.

actually its this: https://twitter.com/doctorbutlerx/status/1244330377101049856?lang=en

the magicians television show has a legitimately great "it was all a dream" episode. it wasn't exactly a dream but i can't say what happens without spoiling it. it was a legitimately good show tho

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I get that part because that's kinda the scenario we all have to accept for any piece of fiction to work but I unno the 'Ugh, it was fake again on top of not being real in the first place? Whatever, I don't care anymore' reaction kinda loses me.
This is really difficult to explain and I don't think I can make it make sense to you if it doesn't already, because a lot of it is about a gut reaction, but I suppose a lot of it has to do with the way it makes you feel kind of... cheated. Any good story runs, basically, on the suspension of disbelief: you accept that while the story you are told isn't real, in the context of the story itself it is real, and you should treat it and feel about it as if it was. The 'it was all a dream' ending ruins that because it's basically an ex post facto footnote that actually, no, you shouldn't have bothered caring after all, because it wasn't worth getting invested in the outcome even in the context of it being a story.

That probably won't help you a lot, but that kind of diffuse feeling is really important to my enjoyment of a novel, and a lot of other people feel similarly. The rest of it comes from how it's a cheap cop-out from a situation that the writer can't resolve any other way.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

that game was really really cool. i played through the whole thing twice and loved it. great car feel and the story swings hard for something wild and unique

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cardiovorax posted:

This is really difficult to explain and I don't think I can make it make sense to you if it doesn't already, because a lot of it is about a gut reaction, but I suppose a lot of it has to do with the way it makes you feel kind of... cheated. Any good story runs, basically, on the suspension of disbelief: you accept that while the story you are told isn't real, in the context of the story itself it is real, and you should treat it and feel about it as if it was. The 'it was all a dream' ending ruins that because it's basically an ex post facto footnote that actually, no, you shouldn't have bothered caring after all, because it wasn't worth getting invested in the outcome even in the context of it being a story.

That probably won't help you a lot, but that kind of diffuse feeling is really important to my enjoyment of a novel, and a lot of other people feel similarly. The rest of it comes from how it's a cheap cop-out from a situation that the writer can't resolve any other way.

Yeah, this. Like, it's the narrative equivalent of going 'lol btw every single character simultaneously died of a heart attack one second after the ending' and if you were at all invested in the story that will probably make you think the author deliberately wasted your time?

It's a little different in games because even in something plot-heavy like Spider-Man you can play it and not give two shits about the story but love the movement and combat enough to have a good time but it would make any book or movie lose...most of its emotional impact.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw a meme around NYE about Jedi Fallen Order "if you start playing at a certain time, at midnight you'll still be stuck on Zeffo". Holy poo poo that was accurate, what a badly designed level. Once you finish the main part of a quest, you should be able to get back to your starting point easily. I always hold Skyrim up as a good example because every time you clear a cave or something out, there's normally a tunnel that leads right back to the enterance.

But now i'm on Dathomir and I know its not my controller, but my blocks seem to be really sluggish or non existant against the nightbrothers. Out of combat I can hit R1 and it blocks as fast as I can hit it, and i can knock back the arrows no problem, but in HTH its dodge or nothing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

It's a little different in games because even in something plot-heavy like Spider-Man you can play it and not give two shits about the story but love the movement and combat enough to have a good time but it would make any book or movie lose...most of its emotional impact.
Yeah, games are just different. I'm someone who plays games first and foremost for the gameplay anyway and I just don't get invested in their storylines to the same degree, so I'm often fine with it just being whatever so long as the moment-to-moment gameplay pulls me in. It really pisses me off when a book or movie does that, though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How often does PS Plus go on sale? Because there's a 12-month discount of 25% off available right now. But my next set of games I want to play (Death Stranding, TLOU1/2) don't require it. Maybe I should have grabbed it last month, when I was finishing up Bloodborne and having a set of badass blood gems would have been nice, but I'm kind of burnt out on it. And I don't want yet another subscription ticking away that I'm not taking full advantage of.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

But my next set of games I want to play (Death Stranding, TLOU1/2) don't require it.
Death Stranding -- if I'm correct that its online functionality requires PS+ as I think -- doesn't have traditional multiplayer but does involve indirect online interactions that are both rewarding and completely essential to the game's themes.

e: vvv Awesome!

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 17, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Death Stranding -- if I'm correct that its online functionality requires PS+ as I think -- doesn't have traditional multiplayer but does involve indirect online interactions that are both rewarding and completely essential to the game's themes.

Death Stranding does not require PS Plus. I’ve never had PS+ and DS worked just fine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the online stuff is definitely very essential to Death Stranding both thematically and in terms of gameplay, so if you are planning to play that game, you want the online for sure.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, the online stuff is definitely very essential to Death Stranding both thematically and in terms of gameplay, so if you are planning to play that game, you want the online for sure.

The online part is critical but does not require giving Sony any money.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wasn't disagreeing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I watched the entirety of the Tim Rogers Final Fantasy 7 Remake video and it was much more enjoyable/interesting than the Tokimeki one. I'm thinking the combination of being much more familiar with the subject matter and also having my own feelings of nostalgia line up much better with Tim's in this case being the deciding factors in why I was able to sit through all of it (also I'm furloughed now so I have much more free time)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

I watched the entirety of the Tim Rogers Final Fantasy 7 Remake video and it was much more enjoyable/interesting than the Tokimeki one. I'm thinking the combination of being much more familiar with the subject matter and also having my own feelings of nostalgia line up much better with Tim's in this case being the deciding factors in why I was able to sit through all of it (also I'm furloughed now so I have much more free time)

The FF7R vid is fantastic, definitely my favorite of his next to 'Let's Mosey'. The TokiMemo vid is great mainly because it's unfamiliar territory for me but I had a loving BLAST with the FF7R vid.

If he were to make a NieR: Automata vid (which I know you hate)...I might lose my goddamn mind haha

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
He’s doing Nier: Gestalt/Replicant actually, it’s on his list of games he plans to review.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Imhotep posted:

He’s doing Nier: Gestalt/Replicant actually, it’s on his list of games he plans to review.

Righteous!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Samurai Sanders posted:

I feel like I missed a joke. Does Miura spend all his time playing Imas instead of writing, or something?

Yeah he’s famously obsessed with idol master and people blame it for the hiatuses and long waits. But I also don’t really care, I think it’s pretty funny that the man who can write something as hosed up as the eclipse/the end of the golden age arc and also be a well known idol master fan, plus the man needs some source of joy in his life.

Yeah I’m excited for it, hopefully it coincides with the remake’s release. Also Dark Souls is on the list, and while I haven’t watched much of the Tokimeki Memorial review, id gladly watch Tim talk about Soulsborne games for 7+ hours.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Imhotep posted:

id gladly watch Tim talk about Soulsborne games for 7+ hours.

Wow that's like a tiktok length Vaati video

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a narrative the internet runs with since little is known about him except a few interviews displaying his hobbies, amongst them playing idol master. Nobody knows how true that is, obviously.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The FF7R vid is fantastic, definitely my favorite of his next to 'Let's Mosey'. The TokiMemo vid is great mainly because it's unfamiliar territory for me but I had a loving BLAST with the FF7R vid.

If he were to make a NieR: Automata vid (which I know you hate)...I might lose my goddamn mind haha

I see now that my problem with the Tokimeki video is not with Rogers but with the subject matter. Forgive me for being broke (not woke) but I still find the idea of high school dating simulators worthy of all the groans and eyerolls they get from me. My experience of high school, now that I think of it, was that it pretty much was a dating simulator. I dont feel I left any unfinished business in high school so I have to reason to revisit it.

I would definitely watch a 3 hour Tim Rogers video about Nier automata

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

there was no point during high school i could summon monsters or kill the grim reaper, neither are things i fear i missed out on, both are activities that i feel like are age agnostic

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I dunno, maybe if games like that(non H dating sims) were more popular or socially acceptable more men now would have an easier time talking to women in a respectful manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Fridge Corn, you should play Nier: Replicant when it comes out heh. I don’t wanna spoil anything for people who haven’t played Automata either, but Replicant also has several ‘endings’ where you sort of play through the game again, except it was a lot more tedious than Automata for reasons I think they’ll change in the remake. But also, since it seemed like you found the credits sequence and that aspect of Nier interesting, you might like the first one more as it leans way more into the sudden changes in game genre and does it consistently throughout the game and it’s weird Automata basically just changes camera angles and then turns into a bullet hell shooter for hacking stuff. Also the story is maybe better than Automata’s and takes place like thousands of years prior, but I’ve only played the original US version so I don’t know how different the Japanese version is.

boz posted:

I dunno, maybe if games like that(non H dating sims) were more popular or socially acceptable more men now would have an easier time talking to women in a respectful manner.

Possibly, yeah. He tells the same story in a Kotaku video from like a year ago and repeats in the review, but he says that he remembers other boys his age ironically calling the series where you play as a young man trying to successfully be in a heterosexual relationship ‘gay’, and instead would play violent games that basically didn’t have any women in them.

I should maybe watch the review instead of asking questions here, but were the games marketed towards a certain demographic, like I’m sure a dating sim made in the West would surely be, or was it just sort of geared towards Gamers in general? But I

imhotep fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 17, 2021