Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This is one of the many checkpoints in downtown DC today. Soldiers with rifles but no mags in the magwells, tons of cops, streets leading downtown completely blocked.

Why don't they have loaded mags in their weapons? Driving into base today, I noticed SF had loaded mags. Whats so different here, other than that they have intel showing people are getting ready to attack them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

It just occurred to me - where do 20,000 mobilized troops in DC sleep?

Last I heard, they're filling up the local hotels, more or less like usual. The Rotunda thing was basically an oversized break room, rather than where they're spending the night.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Last I heard, they're filling up the local hotels, more or less like usual. The Rotunda thing was basically an oversized break room, rather than where they're spending the night.

I guess with the pandemic, there would be rooms available.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My guess is that live ammo is in the chest rigs and that they're ready to lock and load in a moment if need be. There are also cops at these checkpoints too so it's not like there isn't someone ready to instantly draw or fire if need be.

I don't think anything big is going to happen between now and the Inauguration, but I think that warnings that the right wing is gearing up for an insurgency are well founded, and that poo poo will be very weird for weeks and months to come.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Godholio posted:

This is the other half of why I'm on there. I understand that most people DON'T want that, though. I signed up for friends & family, I stay for that and dunking on loving idiots.

facebook comment batman maniac being too long for a username is the real negative here

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Personally I wish Biden and Harris had opted to swear in at home, surrounded by their families, in a gesture of solidarity for the millions of Americans who are stuck at home because of COVID.

Yea that would be good, and require self awareness of politicians who haven't been either rich, in positions of power, or both over the last decade.

On the other hand, doing business as usual could be a good thing as well. A signal to right wingers who aren't full on Q-ANON Chuds and to the rest of the world "hey fuckos I'm the lawful president of these united states regardless of what these chuds say, see I got to do the ceremony and everything"

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Godholio posted:

:shrug: Also true, if that's what you want to use; that's actually mostly how I talk to HDI these days. But I also like being able to see my nieces grow up in the pictures their mom and grandparents post. And follow along with a buddy's evolving car collection. I get that it's not for everyone, but the self-fellating "Well IIIII don't use it anymore" posts get old.

This is the other half of why I'm on there. I understand that most people DON'T want that, though. I signed up for friends & family, I stay for that and dunking on loving idiots.

Fair enough, it’s hard to replace those aspects. Just was putting that out there as another option. It’s one that a lot don’t think about. It’s usually thought of as all or nothing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/lucasaulbach/status/1350877160563683335?s=21

lol what piece of ancient milsurp does the guy on the right have?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think a Mosin Nagant?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A grenade launcher? Is that even remotely legal?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm the Mandalorian hat and tasteful Mandalorian patch on the vest.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

depends where you live. in this context, probably not.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Depends on the state and it might also be a 37mm device, which actually isn’t anything under federal law. They technically flare devices. If it’s 40mm it’s a destructive device and has to be NFA registered. Any rounds that are AP (vs chalk or flares) also have to be registered (those are pretty rare in private hands because there are explosive storage regulations).

Now if somebody started making AP rounds for the 37 mm format, I could it see being reclassified, as a destructive device.

[quote="“Godholio”" post="“511722692”"]
I think a Mosin Nagant?
[/quote]

I was thinking that. Honestly that makes it even more hilarious on multiple levels.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Depends on the state and it might also be a 37mm device, which actually isn’t anything under federal law. They technically flare devices. If it’s 40mm it’s a destructive device and has to be NFA registered. Any rounds that are AP (vs chalk or flares) also have to be registered (those are pretty rare in private hands because there are explosive storage regulations).

Now if somebody started making AP rounds for the 37 mm format, I could it see being reclassified, as a destructive device.

I was thinking that. Honestly that makes it even more hilarious on multiple levels.

I think anything that is 37mm is technically considered a “signaling device,” despite everyone I know that has had one was either a hardcore liberators or freeper. A quick Google show it’s pretty easy to create homemade AP canisters. I’m probably on another list now...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think anything that is 37mm is technically considered a “signaling device,” despite everyone I know that has had one was either a hardcore liberators or freeper. A quick Google show it’s pretty easy to create homemade AP canisters. I’m probably on another list now...

Perhaps it’s the ammo that would be classified as a DD in that scenario. Honestly I’m surprised we haven’t seen more rednecks with stumpy hands in the last month or so. I mean some dude on Arfcom once got a form 1 approved for a new hand grenade (that or a land mine iirc).

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Having played around with M203s and MK19s a fair bit, there is no amount of money that could convince me to gently caress around with homemade AP rounds for a 37mm launcher.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Hekk posted:

Having played around with M203s and MK19s a fair bit, there is no amount of money that could convince me to gently caress around with homemade AP rounds for a 37mm launcher.

I was doing med support for a SF unit that was training on these. One round popped out and landed in the guy's lap. Even though they were using flashbangs or whatever, it was still a tense moment.

But hey, they let me fire them, too, so that was cool.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A combination of lolmosin and he's real fuckin short

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/lauralitvan/status/1350892811013545988?s=21

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://twitter.com/LucasAulbach/status/1350882563963957252?s=19

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

This can't end poorly at all

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Hekk posted:

I 100% agree, but I’m not sure Y’all Qaeda would. Given how people ostensibly trained on the weapon system use them, I can’t imagine what some Parler insurrectionist wouldn’t kill themselves or some fellow traitors by accident.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

My guess is that live ammo is in the chest rigs and that they're ready to lock and load in a moment if need be. There are also cops at these checkpoints too so it's not like there isn't someone ready to instantly draw or fire if need be.

I don't think anything big is going to happen between now and the Inauguration, but I think that warnings that the right wing is gearing up for an insurgency are well founded, and that poo poo will be very weird for weeks and months to come.

The checkpoint I ran into on Friday didn't have cops, just troops - same condition. Empty guns - presuming mags on person, but I wasn't about to ask that at the checkpoint.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh what wonderful timing.

https://twitter.com/alexsalvinews/status/1350898361289752576?s=21

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

Why don't they have loaded mags in their weapons? Driving into base today, I noticed SF had loaded mags. Whats so different here, other than that they have intel showing people are getting ready to attack them?

If you have 20000 soldiers in condition 3 then you're probably going to get at least one negligent discharge a day.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Anarcho-Bidenism posted:

I didn't want to suggest that it might happen because I know people would have said it was insane

people keep forgetting the hellworld we live in has gone completely off the rails

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Best Friends posted:

If you have 20000 soldiers in condition 3 then you're probably going to get at least one negligent discharge a day.

Someone’s being optimistic.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

which challenge coin tho?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Anarcho-Bidenism posted:

It's already going poorly. Fascist paramilitaries cannot be allowed to feel invulnerable.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Olympus Has Fallen is not a good movie but the takeover scene is decent action. I had thought a slow military response was necessary for the plot but now the idea of the army being too sluggish to intervene holds up.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's already going poorly. Fascist paramilitaries cannot be allowed to feel invulnerable.

What do you think would have happened if this got “nipped in the bud” way back when the Bundy’s were acting up? Like, insurrection act “fly a pair of Apaches over to rock[et] those babies to sleep” type of message. Would it have brought things to a head sooner or cooled the jets of those far right militia types? It’s hosed up for me to even consider at this point, but I also didn’t expect to witness a half assed insurrection either. So now I’m wondering: would sending a message years ago have prevented the bullshit of today?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

TheWeedNumber posted:

What do you think would have happened if this got “nipped in the bud” way back when the Bundy’s were acting up? Like, insurrection act “fly a pair of Apaches over to rock[et] those babies to sleep” type of message. Would it have brought things to a head sooner or cooled the jets of those far right militia types? It’s hosed up for me to even consider at this point, but I also didn’t expect to witness a half assed insurrection either. So now I’m wondering: would sending a message years ago have prevented the bullshit of today?

You know what they say: an ounce of prevention is worth a 500 lb guided munition.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

TheWeedNumber posted:

I don't really know much about this stuff, but did Ruby Ridge/Waco/Crack down after OKC/Olympic Bombings have any known knock on effects for the right wing militia types? I assume it's been long enough since all of those things that someone wrote a thing about that.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It's worked wonders in all those other countries the US bombed :thunk:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't really know much about this stuff, but did Ruby Ridge/Waco/Crack down after OKC/Olympic Bombings have any known knock on effects for the right ring militia types? I assume it's been long enough since all of those things that someone wrote a thing about that.

I think (just pulling things from my rear end) that the hardcore full time crazies in the woods were hardened by those, but your casual weekend warrior that showed up at the Capitol is deterred. Just my opinion.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Wait, so this is Aunt Tifa, then?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheWeedNumber posted:

I think you might have been able to make it so this crowd was somewhat smaller, and probably would have changed a few of the people in it. However, Trump had four entire years to tell law enforcement to stand down on white supremacist militias he considered his base, and barring an alternate history where Hillary won in 2016, that would be happening no matter what.

The thing you would need to nip in the bud, somehow, is the entire grifter ecology where these guys have sank their roots. Between how profitable it has been for many people and how beneficial it has been for the Republican Party I cannot see that being amenable to like, a single shocking intervention of any kind a la "Arrest the Bundys."

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

TheWeedNumber posted:

which challenge coin tho?

quote:

Linda Magovern, 63, of Stratford, Connecticut, was arrested near Union Station after she said she was an officer and “a part of the presidential cabinet,” and presented a military police challenge coin, a D.C. police report says.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news...police/2405118/

There's a lot of unpack there.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

do you know what AP rounds are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

PookBear posted:

do you know what AP rounds are?

Arnold Palmers, yeah.