Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Suburban Dad posted:

Why not use spoiler tags like everywhere else? Lot of people probably just got headsets, myself included.

The spoiler tags are way overused on the forums, I read them by reflex before even considering if the context of the rest of the post might indicate a real spoiler. I at least peeked on the spoilers on this discussion just to make sure I wasn't missing on anything relevant.

We need separate "advent calendar" tags. "Open here to read the rest of the story!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PantsBandit posted:

Hey guys, my two sisters got vr and want to play something with me. Are there any good, relatively chill oculus titles for 3 people?

I'm trying to get my one sister to play PokerStars, echo arena is on the docket as well but that might be a bit too much motion for a new player.

Star trek Bridge Commander is hella fun if they are a little nerdy. The Next Gen DLC is worth it. Iron Wolf is good too but thats PCVR and a little more in depth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PantsBandit posted:

The kids being able to use cigs and alcohol in-game is definitely a bit weird but I don't see anything inherently wrong with them just playing poker, even with the "gambling" aspect.

Poker isn't just a card game though, it's also about talking with your opponents and you can't really do that freely when you have to coach what you say because there's a bunch of random little shi- small children running around.

Also there is no "gambling" aspect, there's just gambling. That's the same argument that companies like EA use to try and wedge loot crates through, and studies have proven that yes, in fact, it is just the same gambling feedback loop.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I used to gamble marbles when I was a kid. Never did it with 40-year-olds, though.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Saukkis posted:

The spoiler tags are way overused on the forums, I read them by reflex before even considering if the context of the rest of the post might indicate a real spoiler. I at least peeked on the spoilers on this discussion just to make sure I wasn't missing on anything relevant.

We need separate "advent calendar" tags. "Open here to read the rest of the story!".
lol I thought I was the only one. Reptile brain goes straight to Ooh There's The Punchline even though it's almost always aeris dies

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

PantsBandit posted:

Hey guys, my two sisters got vr and want to play something with me. Are there any good, relatively chill oculus titles for 3 people?

I'm trying to get my one sister to play PokerStars, echo arena is on the docket as well but that might be a bit too much motion for a new player.

Walkabout Minigolf. I just got done playing it with my partner who’s very much casual and it was great. Very chill, low movement, the physics feel spot on and though I’ve only done the first course, the designs seems solid - 5 courses with unlockable hard versions. I can’t believe this game isn’t higher profile!

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
I see a few Skyrim VR mod lists thrown around (still really interested in yours Shlapintogan if you're okay with sharing), but are there any similar lists for Fallout 4 VR?

I think part of what's holding me back with Skyrim other than hopelessly trying to juggle mods into compatibility with limited HDD space is that I keep comparing the VR experience to the pancake one.

I dunno, maybe my unfamiliarity with FO4 will help cover the VR port oddities.

Edit:

Nalin posted:

The DLC are, yes.

Holy poo poo. Currently I have the Quest install for DLCs and Steam for custom tracks but if I can get the DLC into the PC beat saber install that's fantastic

Edit2: gently caress, just reread. drat it.

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 18, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For those playing with EmuVR, just wanted to note that Somafm.com has direct links to all its stations that work fine as audio cartridges in game. In particular, Underground 80s and Vaporwaves seem appropriate, but there's also a metal station, a reggae station, and a ton of instrumental beats stations to fit whatever vibe you like.

If you haven't looked at video/audio customization, this is super easy, just create a folder called "Music" or whatever where the rest of your ROMs are, create a text file that has the direct link (i.e., the one ending in .mp3) in it, and then rename the text file to an .str extension. Run the game scanner, set that folder to be Music - CD or Music Cassette and you're all set.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You can also pretty easily rip MST3K episodes off YouTube and load them in EmuVR. If you play that in the background while playing NBA Jam or Final Fantasy II you'll pretty accurately cosplay my childhood.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lockback posted:

You can also pretty easily rip MST3K episodes off YouTube and load them in EmuVR. If you play that in the background while playing NBA Jam or Final Fantasy II you'll pretty accurately cosplay my childhood.

Yes, I have a bunch of the ones downloaded that have the old commercials in them and everything!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just finished Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge. It's an interesting step from Vader Immortal. The gameplay is improved, but the location and story are awful. It's kind of a kick in the nuts when you go on a short, cool jedi adventure with Yoda after the credits roll. I guess Disney mandated some synergy with their theme park, but I wish they weren't trying to make Blackrock Spire such a thing. It's super boring.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Black Spire Outpost from the parks? What is Blackrock spire? I googled it and got a Warcraft reference.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Captain Apollo posted:

Black Spire Outpost from the parks? What is Blackrock spire? I googled it and got a Warcraft reference.

It is the place from the parks. The game is just not worth it, even if you are a super Star Wars nerd. It is some boring dialogue and an ugly shooting mission. 30 bux for basically 1 mission.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Well I've been calling the park the wrong thing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zaphod42 posted:

Not only did I have a different reaction and love walking around inside Half-life in a more convincing reality than most VR games, but by 8 hours in I was well past Jeff.

I'm a little surprised you found the game boring but also apparently went really slow? If you were bored I'd figure you'd be rushing through to get to new things. That or you quit when you were literally seconds away from meeting Jeff because its like, halfway through a 12 hour game.

i was taking it slow looking for environmental storytelling and lore assets that didnt exist basically, and yeah probably did quit just before Jeff. i found it very disappointing as a valve game.
its not really the game's fault, i pretty much just hyped myself up for a game that wasn't what alyx was. the balcony and first couple rooms really set me up for a sorta portal/HL2/L4D style storytelling environment with lots of stuff to read on the walls and figure out whats going on.

i was quite literally holding up every single asset and squinting at it to see if the beer name was a joke or not before determining probably not lol

there isnt really any of that in the game past the intro, all the writing on the walls is in cyrillic and i dont know if it actually means anything, what is in english had no thought put into it like just a cleaning rota without any jokes or thought of what a cleaning rota run by the combine looks like or whatever.
essentially it feels like all the art was just made by artists tasked with like "make some beer bottles" with no writers or anything looking at stuff. the sole exception is the "water flavoured rations" which cruelly got my hopes up by being one of the first visible assets and the gigantic newspaper with all the leaked lore from HL3 on it.

so i was taking it real slow looking at everything but almost everything isnt meant to be looked at closely, i thought that was a weird choice for a VR game and extra disappointing for a valve one. compare the HL2 lab to whatever his names lab in Alyx, you've got his name written on the wall (which i cant remember lol) and a headcrab in the fridge, the walls are covered in monitors displaying nothing.

without that kinda valve storytelling stuff you just have a well voice acted and dialogued standard VR zombie game but with the horrible HL2 guns. the part that most impressed me was the lighting and thats pretty disappointing imo

by contrast the opening of boneworks is attempting basically exactly what i wanted and feels a lot more valvey to me. theres lore on the walls, almost every art asset has a cheeky joke or lore info on it, then the actual game made me too sick to continue lol

e: also valve has kidnapped all my fav old internet comedy writers and paid them not to write for like a decade now and i was like "oh poo poo are they gonna dump like 10 years of funny lore writing into this game???" nope lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah but Boneworks does nothing with any of its lore. It ends in the most bizarre way possible and the entire story makes no sense, really. It’s almost worse, they leave this lore around and build up the expectation of a narrative but then they just......don’t do anything with it.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked Boneworks as a game, but if you’re hoping for valve level story telling, it ain’t that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah but Boneworks does nothing with any of its lore. It ends in the most bizarre way possible and the entire story makes no sense, really. It’s almost worse, they leave this lore around and build up the expectation of a narrative but then they just......don’t do anything with it.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked Boneworks as a game, but if you’re hoping for valve level story telling, it ain’t that.

yeah i wouldnt expect it from some rando indies really i just appreciated the effort especially after bouncing off alyx, i'd like valve to have done it though.

i think a valve game with that kinda environmental storytelling in VR would be next level poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Communist Thoughts posted:

i was taking it slow looking for environmental storytelling and lore assets that didnt exist basically, and yeah probably did quit just before Jeff. i found it very disappointing as a valve game.
its not really the game's fault, i pretty much just hyped myself up for a game that wasn't what alyx was. the balcony and first couple rooms really set me up for a sorta portal/HL2/L4D style storytelling environment with lots of stuff to read on the walls and figure out whats going on.

i was quite literally holding up every single asset and squinting at it to see if the beer name was a joke or not before determining probably not lol

Are the other Valve games not exactly the same?

Half-life opens with the tram ride and then you hanging out with scientists and loving with a microwave with no real pressure. Then level 2 starts and you're shooting zombies and jumping on platforms the rest of the game. The environmental storytelling isn't gone entirely but its definitely toned down after the intro which gets you in the atmosphere.

Half-life 2, same thing. Train ride, slow intro through City 17 with tons of atmosphere, waiting in line with combine, checking out Kleiner's lab. Then the rest of the game is shooting soldiers and antlions on a dune buggy. The environmental storytelling isn't gone, but it definitely gets toned down.

Can you pick up every asset in HL2 to get jokes from the company names? I don't remember that. I don't mean to give you a hard time or anything I just feel like maybe after so many years, your rose-tinted glasses for the old games made you expect more than they actually delivered.

That said, I wouldn't say HL Alyx is bereft of environmental storytelling either. There's some cool details in the way the infection spread through the areas you're exploring, you can learn about how the Combine intentionally gently caress people up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My experience with HL2 is shoot mans, drive a vehicle, abruptly stop until I figure out which physics object I need to physics so I can get back into the vehicle and continue moving.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Man, y'all find the worst way of describing game that I've found to be a lot of fun. HL2 was awesome to me, way better than HL1.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Half-Life owns, completely, I love them all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nocheez posted:

Man, y'all find the worst way of describing game that I've found to be a lot of fun. HL2 was awesome to me, way better than HL1.

I wasn't trying to summarize the game :colbert: I'm responding in the context of specifically talking about environmental storytelling.

And as I even said, there's not zero environmental storytelling in the rest of HL2, but there's less than in the first few levels.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's nice of Valve to let you adjust the SteamVR resolution, but is there a reason why they can't just give us device presets instead of trying to finagle a slider to the closest match, which on the Quest 2 is never exact?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Good loving lord, just in case this ever helps anyone else with a Rift S and weird bow or rifle tracking:

Ever since I got the thing, the bow-and-arrow in the Oculus Home or The Lab had really hosed up tracking whenever I tried to draw it back. Its like once one of the controllers got under my chin, it would freak out and jump a few feet away and then rattle around space as it tried to find where it was supposed to be.
Likewise, in H3 when firing two-handed guns, the recoil would jump a second late and snap REALLY unnaturally sideways, making auto-fire impossible. In Blade & Sorcery, sometimes if I caught my sword on geometry wrong it would snap away from my character and my arm would extend unnaturally as the sword flitted around like a physics freakout for a second or two before snapping back to the right position.

Anyway, I fixed everything after randomly finding a comment that addressed it: switching the Rift S' USB plug from a USB 3.1 to USB 3.0 port fixed literally everything. It's a night and day difference, it's crazy. Am I just an idiot that missed this advice somewhere during setup?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Squiggle posted:

Good loving lord, just in case this ever helps anyone else with a Rift S and weird bow or rifle tracking:

Ever since I got the thing, the bow-and-arrow in the Oculus Home or The Lab had really hosed up tracking whenever I tried to draw it back. Its like once one of the controllers got under my chin, it would freak out and jump a few feet away and then rattle around space as it tried to find where it was supposed to be.
Likewise, in H3 when firing two-handed guns, the recoil would jump a second late and snap REALLY unnaturally sideways, making auto-fire impossible. In Blade & Sorcery, sometimes if I caught my sword on geometry wrong it would snap away from my character and my arm would extend unnaturally as the sword flitted around like a physics freakout for a second or two before snapping back to the right position.

Anyway, I fixed everything after randomly finding a comment that addressed it: switching the Rift S' USB plug from a USB 3.1 to USB 3.0 port fixed literally everything. It's a night and day difference, it's crazy. Am I just an idiot that missed this advice somewhere during setup?

No, you aren't an idiot. It should work with usb 3.1

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s the best Plex viewing experience for the Quest these days? Bigscreen?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm pulling new motherboard drivers now; realized it's surely on my end.

But, good, that makes me feel better. It was frustrating, but not globally annoying: it worked perfectly with anything one-handed and honestly I could usually just...swing slowly and it would track fine. I was just perennially bummed that the bows were always janky, across all games, because bows rule. That should've been my first clue when it wasn't just a bow but all bows.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The rift has some weird hardware bugs.One thing that happens to my friend is the right controller will randomly lose positional tracking and get stuck on the ground, able to rotate but not actually move. the only way to fix it is to quit out of everything and restart the oculus service.

It happens to me occasionally on both controllers, but for him it's like every 40 minutes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What’s the best way to start troubleshooting my wireless virtual desktop setup?

I have the Archer A6 from amazon fed from a switch which is linked to another switch that contains my PC. Switching and non-quest 2 WiFi equipment is all Ubiquiti UniFi and my regular home access points are set to channels that do not overlap with the Archer.

My Q2 is the only device on the archer. I’m getting stuttering and generally laggy performance. The archer is mounted in a closet directly behind my play space, so the signal needs to travel about 12 feet and through drywall to get where it needs to go

Thoughts?

E: pc is an R5-2600x with a 1080ti and 24GB of ddr4

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 18, 2021

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Warbird posted:

What’s the best Plex viewing experience for the Quest these days? Bigscreen?

I use Big Screen with Plex all the time. Works great and has the best viewing environments I've seen so far.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Did anyone try Star Wars Squadron with vr? I am wondering does it cause any motion sickness. So far I have either played games where there is no player movement or teleport movement.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ulio posted:

Did anyone try Star Wars Squadron with vr? I am wondering does it cause any motion sickness. So far I have either played games where there is no player movement or teleport movement.

I did, I was mostly fine but did come out of it feeling a little weird. It's totally playable for me though and I consider myself on the 'more likely to get motion sickness than not' side of the scale.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

It's maybe one of my favourite things to do in VR. Because you've got the cockpit in front of you, it helps with motion sickness - your character is sat still and so are you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ulio posted:

Lmao yes we talked about it a LOT.

The launch version had a very half-assed VR implementation which made most people sick. Some people had better performance. They've since patched it and it performs much better across the board.

"Does it cause motion sickness" isn't really a good question. I don't mean to attack you or anything but... just consider all the implications. There is no one size fits all answer.

Some people with a medical condition could get motion sickness from just walking around IRL. Some people get motion sickness from any VR. Some people get motion sickness after playing free locomotion for an hour or two. Some people can spend 8 hours in free locomotion and never feel bad.

You can't give an answer for everybody. Don't ask this.

If you're asking "how bad is it for motion sickness?" well, I would say its worse than car racing sims or war thunder. Being in space and spinning around with 3d objects all over the place is pretty intense.

I think its less intense than free locomotion since you're always sitting inside a fixed cockpit, but then there's people who say that car racing sims make them feel very ill.

Again, there is simply no one-size-fits-all answer for motion sickness. It is intensely personal and based on your own biology and life experience up to this point.

I can guarantee you that there are both people who feel intense sickness from Squadrons and there are also people who feel zero sickness from Squadrons.
I'm in the middle and feel a little bit after playing for a long time. More than a car sim, but less than free locomotion for me. But again, other people could even find it relatively easier or worse than other VR titles. Its very very hard to say.

If you're used to only teleport then you'll probably find it a little bit much after awhile, but the general advise is just to take breaks and don't play for too long if you do start to feel funny, and you'll continue to adapt your body to it. Maybe right now you feel sickness but after a month you won't. Or maybe after a month you still hate it. Nobody here can predict this for you unfortunately. Maybe you could hop in and the cockpit view means you wouldn't feel any sickness at all, even though you've only done teleport. I can't say.

War Thunder is a totally free game that is also a cockpit plane flying game, and you move at slower speeds and there's always a "ground" and a horizon so I find it less nauseating. Maybe try that first since its free and see how you feel? But again, I could see someone else saying that Squadrons is more comfortable than WarThunder for them for the opposite reasons. This stuff is very, very personal.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 18, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ulio posted:

Let's think about it this way: if it's a good VR implementation and it feels like transporting yourself to a real combat spaceship, it SHOULD cause motion sickness, because in real life doing crazy 3d maneuvers in space, or with a jet causes motion sickness if you are not accostumed.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I tried SpaceEngine last night in VR and I don't see how anyone could spend more than 30 minutes dinking around there if you've already played it on flatscreen. Gonna do a refund on it :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nocheez posted:

I tried SpaceEngine last night in VR and I don't see how anyone could spend more than 30 minutes dinking around there if you've already played it on flatscreen. Gonna do a refund on it :(

Hmm, looks neat though. Think it might be worth buying if I hadn't played it before?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ulio posted:

It's incredible in VR. It's exactly what you think it will be, sitting in a cockpit and pew pew pew and lock rear end falls in attack position.

The game's campaign is pretty weak (not terrible, but not as interesting as the old games), but there're plenty of folks playing online in both the PvP and PvE mode.

If watching movies where poo poo gets all spinny makes you feel ill, then chances are this game will, too. That said, buy it on Steam, try it, refund it if it's too much to handle. No harm in seeing how it goes.

Some ships whip around more than others, so if you do feel sick, then take a break until you feel okay, and then try again in one of the "pig" ships, like the Y-Wing or TIE Bomber. If you feel fine in those, then gradually work your way up to the Fighter and Interceptor class ships (or just fly bombers forever because they are cool).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was deeply confused about the "plot" in Boneworks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

explosivo posted:

Hmm, looks neat though. Think it might be worth buying if I hadn't played it before?

It's not worth 25 bucks to me. Maybe 10.