Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Uhhhh...you may want to rethink the opening of that last paragraph chief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Speaking of which, if Eternals was originally supposed to come out 2 months ago how have we not seen a trailer yet?

I was taken aback when I saw that Shang-Chi is scheduled to come out in July! And I haven't seen a single piece of marketing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ImpAtom posted:

I disliked Watchmen because "change the alien invader who is so strange and absurd that it forces humans to reconsider who they are" to "What if Dr. Manhattan, the literal symbol of destructive American imperalism, nuked a bunch of cities worldwide" shows such a staggering misunderstanding of the concept I could never get past it. It feels like a "heh, see, I can come up with a better idea than Alan Moore :smug:" while never actually explaining the fact that if Russia got Dr. Manhattan Nuked the missiles would probably be flying before Adrian could finish saying he did it before they came in and even if they were not there's a significant tone and theme difference between "The world unites under the fear of the unknown" and "The world unites under the fear of an aggressive god who is demonstrably the fault of America."

That isn't on Snyder to be fair, I am certain it was a studio mandate, but it's so loving dumb.
Yes that was my biggest problem with the film to be honest. That change makes no sense when you clearly established that Dr. Manhattan was an agent of the US government.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Uhhhh...you may want to rethink the opening of that last paragraph chief

Yeah okay, I forgot but yeah I’ll cut it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

...Wasn't he just playing Matt Damon, though? Are we gonna be on the set of an in-universe Thor movie where Damon is Thor?

Kind of hard to know exactly if it is supposed to actually be him or just an Asgardian actor since the whole thing wasn't exactly planned out and was just Chris Hemsworth thinking it would be funny if he called up his buddy to show up for one scene.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Did people interpret that scene as Loki hiring Matt Damon to come to Asgard and play himself in a play? I just assumed he was some Asgardian actor.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Barry Convex posted:

because it's not coming out until November and there's another movie coming out in July that we haven't gotten a trailer for either

Yeah, well, then that's 2 trailers God drat it! Maybe during the Superbowl?

.....I'm just used to years of the Marvel-perpetual-hype-engine-cycle and this year has sucked. Had it been a normal year I might not have cared so much.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Did people interpret that scene as Loki hiring Matt Damon to come to Asgard and play himself in a play? I just assumed he was some Asgardian actor.

Honestly, the way Hiddleston plays Loki, either is plausible. Hell, he definitely was going to Midgard, he put Odin in a home!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know what? Fair. I'm convinced.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I do want to point out that Matt Damon’s role in Ragnarok is explicitly uncredited, which is especially weird when Sam Neil and Luke Hemsworth were both credited at the end of the movie. If he was, they could’ve easily done what they did with the other two and just credited him as “Loki Actor”, but they didn’t, and that to me implies that there is some sort of surprise in who he’s actually supposed to be or what role he’s going to play in Love and Thunder. It could be him playing himself, but I think it’s quite possible he ends up playing a superhero or character with a superpower related to either acting or shapeshifting. I can’t think of an unused Marvel hero that fits the bill, but according to reports he’s going to be on set for an extensive amount of time (implying this isn’t just a throwaway gag cause his friend Chris asked him to and he thought it would be funny). Matt Damon’s a pretty big get and I doubt they’d just spend that much star power on him playing someone who can’t show up in future installments in spandex.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

NieR Occomata posted:

I do want to point out that Matt Damon’s role in Ragnarok is explicitly uncredited, which is especially weird when Sam Neil and Luke Hemsworth were both credited at the end of the movie. If he was, they could’ve easily done what they did with the other two and just credited him as “Loki Actor”, but they didn’t, and that to me implies that there is some sort of surprise in who he’s actually supposed to be or what role he’s going to play in Love and Thunder. It could be him playing himself, but I think it’s quite possible he ends up playing a superhero or character with a superpower related to either acting or shapeshifting. I can’t think of an unused Marvel hero that fits the bill, but according to reports he’s going to be on set for an extensive amount of time (implying this isn’t just a throwaway gag cause his friend Chris asked him to and he thought it would be funny). Matt Damon’s a pretty big get and I doubt they’d just spend that much star power on him playing someone who can’t show up in future installments in spandex.

The comedy option for Valkyrie's search for a spouse. Like, he's not gonna win, but he's gonna be the obvious front-runner at first.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I would love it if in Love & Thunder they just reveal that that actually was Matt Damon and that Loki made his hair like tbat with magic anf now it's stuck always looking like that.

Like he's on some late night show
"Yeah, Loki kidnapped me and took me to Asguard to play him in a play he wrote. He didn't like how the wig the costumer gave me look so he just did some magic on and now it's stuck like this now. I tried shaving it off but it just grew back within an hour."

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 18, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Cael posted:

If YOU want to see Superman race to the interplanetary battle . . . PRESS OOOONE.

If you want to see CLARK KENT first recheck his story for the Daily Planet . . . PRESS TWOOOO.
Okay not gonna lie this sounds pretty rad though.

NieR Occomata posted:

Snyder doesn’t approach superheroism as being in service of the public, he thinks that they (superheroes) are shackled by and held back due to the whims of the hated “normals”. It’s why Clark’s dad can consign a bunch of kids to die, because they’re the normals and they don’t matter. It’s why Zod and Supes can kill a bajillion people during their fight because the people who died are the leeches, the dregs, the unworthy. It’s why Batman can shoot up a bunch of gangsters because they’re the perverts, thieves, and Others who deign to claw at his inherent Greatness.
I dunno how far I'd want to take this line of thought, insofar as I feel like a lot of this specific type of stuff comes down no deeper than that Snyder simply thinks it's "more mature" or "more realistic, and thereby more mature" to have people die in these situations -- and so his stories are better than the lame-o cartoon stories where this doesn't happen -- and for his characters to make the "mature," "realistic" choice to kill people...and so they're better than the lame-o cartoon heroes who don't do that. If he wrote Spider-Man or Daredevil, he would absolutely have them kill people as well. He's that kid you used to play with who said "Superman should totally kick someone's head off! That'd be so cool!" and that kid isn't interested in hearing the in-depth rationales of why a superpowered vigilante decapitating some random guy wouldn't actually be that cool and is just a different power fantasy taken in a different direction, that kid is just...a kid. He just thinks gory violence is gnarly and badass.

Here's Clark being pretty prescient

That being said...
Snyder's characters definitely display an underlying resentment towards the very idea that they somehow...have to help people. They definitely resent the very idea that other people need their help and so they can't just be selfish because apparently thinking only of your own wellbeing is supposedly :airquote: callous :airquote: or something. Oh, plebeian society. How dare you judge me for not thinking of you! It's as if Snyder's heroic characters are resentful of the fact that they are heroes, resentful of the societal constraint this places on them to have to behave in certain ways or get else get scolded by the masses.

The concept that being a hero is a burdensome, thankless responsibility isn't new. Almost every character struggles with it. But there is usually some sort of bitter reward for this sort of life, even if it's only the silent knowledge that...well, you get to help other people and make their lives better. The very idea that you saved someone else's life, or improved their lives in some important way, even if they don't end up loving you for it, is usually something that satisfies and even strengthens a lot of characters' resolves. gently caress, even The Punisher gets to have these sorts of moments.

This feeling is generally absent from Snyder's worldview. There's no scene of Superman looking back on some people he just saved and, I dunno, breathing a sigh of relief or letting a slight smile escape his lips or something, feeling some satisfaction from his good deed whether the world thanks him for it or not. It's almost like this character isn't capable of feeling this sort of catharsis, or just somehow doesn't even understand it. There's one almost-there instance of this, where Superman saves some members of the military from Faora and they end up trusting him more...but then, when these people aren't in imminent need of rescue, Superman ends up being antagonistic towards them to the point of throwing a huge hunk of metal at two of them, both of whom were his allies a minute ago, one of whom thinks he's hot.

This is supposed to be Snyder's ideal Super Man, the one who has completed his hero's journey: unconstrained by societal expectations, unburdened by the need to please anyone, unfeeling towards anyone's wellbeing even if they do like him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Matt Damon showed up in Deadpool 2 credited under a pseudonym, so I think he just likes to hang out on comic book movie sets or something

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Matt Damon is a Watcher.

He's just real bad at it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Matt Damon’s Wonder Man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Matt D-Man.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Beta Ray Matt Damon

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Mephisto, played by Matt Demon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Matt Damon showed up in Deadpool 2 credited under a pseudonym, so I think he just likes to hang out on comic book movie sets or something

Despite all appearances in Snyder directed films to the contrary, Ben Affleck actually likes comic books and he and Damon are buds, so not unlikely that Damon thought it'd be neat to be in a Marvel movie.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gaz-L posted:

Despite all appearances in Snyder directed films to the contrary, Ben Affleck actually likes comic books and he and Damon are buds, so not unlikely that Damon thought it'd be neat to be in a Marvel movie.

Thor: Love and Thunder the hot new Marvel movie staring Matt Damon as Screaming Civilian #5.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope it's just Sam Neil and him doing another play about how Loki saved the day during Ragnarok

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

STAC Goat posted:

Both of these can be true at the same time

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

site posted:

I hope it's just Sam Neil and him doing another play about how Loki saved the day during Ragnarok
Jeff Goldblum will still be the Grandmaster and Hela will be Laura Dern

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, we all know it's going to be Thor dragging Matt Damon in full costume around so he can pretend Loki isn't dead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I mean, we all know it's going to be Thor dragging Matt Damon in full costume around so he can pretend Loki isn't dead.

...gently caress that would be funny. Maybe not the whole movie, but I can definitely see that being a running bit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Wonder woman 84 is such a stupid movie.

The new powers, most of the politics, whenever they do a front view of her running.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 18, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really want to know who was responsible for the character dialog in the movie, because yikes, it's rough.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really want to know who was responsible for the character dialog in the movie, because yikes, it's rough.

It isnt great.

Am I crazy to think Gadot has gotten worse at acting?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

She's terrible.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

It isnt great.

It’s more likely that her acting stands out more without a decent movie to distract you from it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mr Hootington posted:

It isnt great.

I don't know if her acting was any worse. The writing is much worse (Than WW, not as familiar with JL), and it seemed like her accent was thicker in this movie. That's not a dig at her, specifically, but she did seem harder to understand. Then again I'm willing to chalk that up to the bad writing. It would have sounded bad coming out of anyone.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Remember when Gadot was really good in the Fast franchise? The gently caress happened to her acting, man?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She was given more than 10 lines per film

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I dont think it helps Pine, Wiig, and Pascal are better actors and actresses.

The only actor worse than Gadot is the kid that played Max's son.

Edit: and I was very disappointed in the lightening lassoing. Why even do it at that point?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly my biggest confusion with 84 is like.

You have a plot about Wonder Woman losing her powers. You also have a plot about a suit of golden armor that can defend against almost anything which is normally worthless to a character who is functionally invincible and which has giant wings.

Wonder Woman dons the giant winged suit of protective armor after she gets her powers back and learns to fly

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You have a plot about Wonder Woman losing her powers. You also have a plot about a suit of golden armor that can defend against almost anything which is normally worthless to a character who is functionally invincible and which has giant wings.

Wonder Woman dons the giant winged suit of protective armor after she gets her powers back and learns to fly

Yes and she goes back to DC to grab the armor after leaving DC!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It's simple. It's MCU style hollow fanservice. "Look, see? It's that Iconic thing from Kingdom Come! Isn't that cool, huh"? It's the same reason they shoehorned an invisible jet into the film. It doesn't make any sense except to be there as dumb easter eggs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like the MCU doesn't often stop the plot so brazenly for things that only comic readers will understand or care about.

Like, even the loving Thor stuff from AoU was meant to further the meta-plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh that golden suit was from the comics? Gotta hand in my BSS Movie Thread membership card I guess.