Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

TasogareNoKagi posted:

DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!

God, what a reference :allears: I haven't fired up fs2open in a decade. Time to find out if it still works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

So your grand idea's to buff small repairers and nerf large ones? :ok:

No. It's to reduce the number of battles that are lopsided. I believe most battles in Eve should be attritional in nature.

Mechanically, I dislike hard caps and prefer diminishing returns. For example, I wish that Upwell structures didn't have a damage cap in absolute numbers, but instead resisted each individual strike on a logarithmic (arithmetic?) scale. So "1 more dreadnought" does help, but less and less. That makes for interesting choices and trade-offs (e.g. Is 1 more dread on the field worth risking to get this done a little bit faster?).

I believe we have such diminishing returns today on logistics, but it really only comes to the fore in capital engagements and requires FAX levels of reps. If "target size" was added to that calculation, it would play into sub-cap fights as well.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

rocketrobot posted:

What's the story with this one?

Bad subcaps are running away via gate after a failed M2 breakout. We're warping in from the left to give them a good murdering.
The guy in the Avatar had a gate perch and started to lance them, while we were still in warp and unable to maneuver. We had to burn down to avoid the lance, and the bads had mostly jumped out by the time the lance finished spooling and fired.

The text is a reference to a particular mission in Freespace 2.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Bad subcaps are running away via gate after a failed M2 breakout. We're warping in from the left to give them a good murdering.
The guy in the Avatar had a gate perch and started to lance them, while we were still in warp and unable to maneuver. We had to burn down to avoid the lance, and the bads had mostly jumped out by the time the lance finished spooling and fired.

When I saw the titan warping, my first though was "Guess we're gonna have to save an idiot".

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

TasogareNoKagi posted:

If you are an eve player or enthusiast who has never heard of, or tried this game, you really do owe it to yourself to go hunting and give this game a go. It's still available on GOG and there's open source fan graphical upgrades, campaigns, & total conversions. Now I've not dipped my toe into elite, Star citizen, or SW: squadrons but free space 2 is the pinnacle of what a first person space combat game should strive to be. It was a masterpiece.

Seriously if you owe it to yourself to give it a go.
The game's intro still gives me tingles after 20 years.
https://youtu.be/khIWdolT9xY

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
You guys who have played free space 2 should play Blue Planet: War in Heaven. There’s a mod manager called Knossos and it’s pretty painless to install improved graphics mods and mod campaigns. Blue Planet takes place after fs2, so do that first, but it’s an even better story and campaign(s).

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

TasogareNoKagi posted:

I mean, this in video format is nearly the ultimate recruiting story. The ultimate one being the loving amazing interceptor suicide runs in M2 to get the party started.

CCP should be having their interns permanently watching this sort of thing for extra publicity. Or they can just make more videos of smug Asher. Whatever.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Hey, I am ignorant. Whats a supertrain?

Supertrains are Rokhs fit to Goonfleet specifications. They’re great long-range snipers that also have stronger natural defenses than other battleships. They also kinda look like a train engine.

Complications posted:

This is probably the wrong answer but anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13hN9Zf2-8A

We call them Supertrains due to this MST3K-worthy movie.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Velius posted:

You guys who have played free space 2 should play Blue Planet: War in Heaven. There’s a mod manager called Knossos and it’s pretty painless to install improved graphics mods and mod campaigns. Blue Planet takes place after fs2, so do that first, but it’s an even better story and campaign(s).

The person who wrote Blue Planet is a goon who went on to sell stories to Analog, Lightspeed, etc, and then published a novel series with Tor, incidentally. The series starts with The Traitor Baru Comorant, it's good.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
querious is a land of contrasts: https://fleetcom.space/battlereport/xiR48B3shwW6hLDH4

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Man, they're sure gonna get tired of all that WINNING any day now.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

careful not to rain on their parade, they killed some haw dreads today and they are really clinging to that

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Baculus posted:

careful not to rain on their parade, they killed some haw dreads today and they are really clinging to that

Man, it's going to take forever to earn those back sucking rock in the Crok mines oh wait...

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
We only have three jump bridges left and we sort of gave up in helms deep, but on the other hand we have over 330 titans worth 30T trapped with no possible way to extract, so it's impossible to tell if we are winning or not.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

gwrtheyrn posted:

Skillgoo, the mistake that keeps on giving

The gently caress is skillgoo?

If I'm reading this right, you can have an account train a skill, extract that and sell it, and fund multiple accounts with the efficiency?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Velius posted:

Reiterpallasch posted:

The person who wrote Blue Planet is a goon who went on to sell stories to Analog, Lightspeed, etc, and then published a novel series with Tor, incidentally. The series starts with The Traitor Baru Comorant, it's good.

So loving good. That goon also wrote a bunch of the lore for the Destiny videogame franchise, including the Books of Sorrow. I'm looking forward to their upcoming science fiction novel Exordia a whole lot too.

https://www.tor.com/2018/11/08/announcing-exordia-seth-dickinsons-sci-fi-debut/

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zesty posted:

If I'm reading this right, you can have an account train a skill, extract that and sell it, and fund multiple accounts with the efficiency?

other way around. skillgoo makes it more practical to buy extracted SP to chase annoying degenerate strategies that require lots of alts. afterward, if the meta changes or you just get bored with that strategy, you can extract the SP from those alts and recoup part of your investment.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Zesty posted:

You can train a skill, extract and sell it to fund plexing that account, not multiple accounts. So each account can maintain itself with some extra cash on top if you don't actually want to train anything on it.

You can obviously do it with as many accounts as you want but imo it's not worth it unless you do something with all those accounts (e.g. PI, mission pulling, burst jamming, ...)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
last time I ran the numbers skillfarming was just shy of breaking even. injector prices are dropping, not enough demand. it can definitely help you plex an account assuming you don't actually want to train anything on your character, but it's not nearly as lucrative as it was 4 years ago

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
If you bother to also add PI to the account, how does it end up looking?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i have not had a good night :-\ but i was thinking about it and while i dumbly lost like 100m in ships today, it's not so bad. if that was instead $10, an amount of money i'd be equally disappointed to lose, our enemies currently have the equivalent of $3,000,000 of titans trapped in M2-. really puts things in perspective.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Stereotype posted:

i have not had a good night :-\ but i was thinking about it and while i dumbly lost like 100m in ships today, it's not so bad. if that was instead $10, an amount of money i'd be equally disappointed to lose, our enemies currently have the equivalent of $3,000,000 of titans trapped in M2-. really puts things in perspective.
This is off by an order of magnitude. 100m isk is worth about $1. So the 30T isk titan fleet is worth ~$300,000 if you could RMT the whole lot without crashing the market.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Stereotype posted:

We only have three jump bridges left and we sort of gave up in helms deep, but on the other hand we have over 330 titans worth 30T trapped with no possible way to extract, so it's impossible to tell if we are winning or not.

We didn't give up on helms deep, we winterized it as the foe is no longer in a position to be able to credibly threaten our infrastructure in the deep, combined with the manpower issues keeping two hellcamps up (E3 and M2-) at the same time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Making an assumption in their favor that each titan is cheaply fit at 80bn and there are 300 titans stuck, that's 24 trillion isk worth of titans we have captured.

For ease of math, let's say a plex is 2.4m isk. That's 10 million plex worth, on the willfully incorrect assumption that you could sell that many without crashing the plex market.

The most heavily discounted plex pack you can buy from CCP is 1100 for €40 15400 plex for €500. So you'd need to buy 650 packs at a total cost of about €325k, or $393k at today's exchange rate. Edit: The mobile shop is bad and didn't show me the bigger packs.

Of course that's not accounting for all the supercarriers and regular capitals, implants in pilots' pods, or the potential monetary and more importantly strategic value of pilots stuck inside the trapped ships.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 18, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you two misread stereotype's post

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Never be afraid of losing ships. Wear your losses - dumb, unfortunate, unavoidable or otherwise - with pride. The dumb losses make for the best stories.

I lost my first carrier to completely obvious hot drop bait and still laugh about it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cease to Hope posted:

you two misread stereotype's post
Hmmm, I see that I did. To be fair, "If isk was worth 10x, they'd have $3kk in titans trapped" is a really stupid point.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Wibla posted:

We didn't give up on helms deep, we winterized it as the foe is no longer in a position to be able to credibly threaten our infrastructure in the deep, combined with the manpower issues keeping two hellcamps up (E3 and M2-) at the same time.

hang on, what is the E3 hellcamp and where did it come from?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

notaspy posted:

Before hostiles did a dumb and got themselves trapped in M2-XFE, we were camping E3OI-U and jamming the entirety of delve behind it, so we could protect its structures and have a place to krab. Now, we have a much more concrete thing to camp, so we moved the camp.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

notaspy posted:

We had setup a permanent camp in E3OI-U to make it difficult for random papi morons to get into the area behind it and cause trouble. That way there was a semi-safe area for economic activity.

https://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Delve/1-A81R,SG-CTQ,D5-SOW,O5K-Y6

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Remove jump fatigue, add *hull* fatigue.

Try jumping a capital out in structure and it might arrive on the other side in pieces. Or it might just explode in place. Also, every jump adds a bit of structure damage depending on the length of it.

this would actually be cool

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Has test ever been even marginally competent at bombing? I remember us mocking their awful bombs back in like the fountain war or something, but surely they haven't sucked at it this whole time?

I've been in two different occasions now where test bombed the fleet I was in, and both times it accomplished jack poo poo because they only had 7 or 8 bombers. A wave of bombs comes in, you think "oh poo poo we can't get out", and then... no followup. Don't they run a whole bomber & blackops group in test? Somebody over there should know that 1 bomb wave doesn't kill anything but T1 cruisers.

If you call for bombers and only get 8 dudes, stand the gently caress down.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Predditors are reasonably competent, but they do more general blackops stuff.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
It took us 2 hours to bump this out of a POS and rep it enough for the game to let us pilot it :argh:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

School Nickname posted:

-You can make one change to a ship's attributes. Increasing/decreasing cpu or pg, adding/removing a low, mid or high slot, changing one stat in shield, armor, cap, base speed, agility, etc. Changing one role bonus (to something reasonable). Which change on which hull impacts EVE the most? Can one change save EVE?

No single change can save EvE, though trapi seems to think that torching trillions of isk will make something happen because *waves arms around at yarn and newspaper all over the wall* reasons.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lorem ipsum posted:

It took us 2 hours to bump this out of a POS and rep it enough for the game to let us pilot it :argh:

Just a shield holding in an explosion

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The gallente are clearly experimenting with minmatar technology.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

RFC2324 posted:

Just a shield holding in an explosion

We honestly thought it was going to explode when we repped it back to 0

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lorem ipsum posted:

I wonder if you tried to repair that at an npc station if the -% values would multiply the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dik Hz posted:

Hmmm, I see that I did. To be fair, "If isk was worth 10x, they'd have $3kk in titans trapped" is a really stupid point.

but i don't care about losing $1 and i sort of cared that i lost my ships, about as much as if i had lost $10.