Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Hive Minds can't build robots, they make up for it with their innate boosts to pop growth though.
Can they edit out gaia preference? I may have made a terrible mistake with this empire. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Bio ascention can edit racial terrain preferences. So yea, you have an out!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Do robots always rebel if you have them set to anything less than full citizenship?

Also any hints on which early perks to grab so i can unlock Ecunopolis right away? Technological Ascendancy seems to be the only 100% get right away one. The rest seem either situational or don't bother with.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

twistedmentat posted:

Do robots always rebel if you have them set to anything less than full citizenship?

Also any hints on which early perks to grab so i can unlock Ecunopolis right away? Technological Ascendancy seems to be the only 100% get right away one. The rest seem either situational or don't bother with.

I tend to go with Mastery of Nature.

It's not necessarily immediately useful but I love getting that extra little bit out of each planet and it's especially good for Ecus.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I wish they would remove technological ascendancy, it's a mandatory pick and doesn't really even do anything interesting. They could literally remove it and replace it with nothing and the subsequent choices would become so much more fun.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Mr. Crow posted:

I wish they would remove technological ascendancy, it's a mandatory pick and doesn't really even do anything interesting. They could literally remove it and replace it with nothing and the subsequent choices would become so much more fun.

Not really, because the choices that don't require at least 2 perks are garbage anyway.

It'd just make the Edict Capacity perk the new mandatory perk, really.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

twistedmentat posted:

I think it's less full citizenship + sentience, and the latter can be removed via policies.

edit: I always take Interstellar dominion 1st pick, as I'm still sprawling at that point. For getting a fast ecu, there's no real magic in it other than keeping an eye for the Weather Control prereqs, and actually jumping on any tile blocker techs you see asap.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Serephina posted:

I think it's less full citizenship + sentience, and the latter can be removed via policies.

edit: I always take Interstellar dominion 1st pick, as I'm still sprawling at that point. For getting a fast ecu, there's no real magic in it other than keeping an eye for the Weather Control prereqs, and actually jumping on any tile blocker techs you see asap.

Interstellar dominion is the + admin cap one, I assume?

That's a horrible choice, imo.

At that point your research is so garbage that the penalty means very little anyway and you can just build more admin cap buildings.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

What's the point of the sensor ascension perk?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

Interstellar dominion is the + admin cap one, I assume?

That's a horrible choice, imo.

At that point your research is so garbage that the penalty means very little anyway and you can just build more admin cap buildings.
That's the lower influence for claims and starbases one I think.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

That's the lower influence for claims and starbases one I think.

Ah that makes a lot more sense.

It's still kind of mediocre but I suppose it is a pretty good early game perk.

Sandweed posted:

What's the point of the sensor ascension perk?

The main one is that you can't be reverse engineered. Useful if you're tech rushing and/or in a MP game. For example you can deny the enemy your Jump Drive technology. Having jump drive advantage is actually kind of huge.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

The main one is that you can't be reverse engineered. Useful if you're tech rushing and/or in a MP game. For example you can deny the enemy your Jump Drive technology. Having jump drive advantage is actually kind of huge.
The +sensors is actually pretty amazing as a first pick for focussed exploring.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Splicer posted:

The +sensors is actually pretty amazing as a first pick for focussed exploring.

This could even get some additional decryption or encryption bonuses in the next patch I would assume

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SirTagz posted:

This could even get some additional decryption or encryption bonuses in the next patch I would assume
If it were me I'd refactor it so you get the unscannable effect, an encryption bonus, and an immune to tech theft ability, then farm the bonus sensors out to another ascension

Actually if it were me I'd have three or four +X% research bonus ascensions each with their own unique side benefits (+sensors and decryption for one, unscannable and +encryption for another, unique techs and some other benefit for a third, etc) and make them all mutually exclusive.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Most of the early game ascention perks are trash, I'm of the opinion that Interstellar Dominion is the only one that hits the ground running and keeps being useful all game. I also play xenophobes and like to sprawl then eat everyone I see, so that makes sense. Claims aren't expensive when they're 11 influence each!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I'd like one pick per ascension path that didn't require a tech, and instead sets you on that path. So like, remove technological ascendancy, add one robot/bio/psionic pick, that is the first in that path and gives research bonus + increase chance of seeing techs required for the path

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd like a complete overhaul of the research mechanic so that wasn't necessary

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

I haven't played for a couple years but I reinstalled to play and now there's a launcher but the game isn't launching. Just says game failed to launch. Searched online and there's a whole bunch of gently caress poo poo like changing settings on my PC and I tried some of those suggestions but nothing's worked so far. Any recommendations?
Did you try to bypass the launcher? Sometimes that helps, it worked for me when the EU4 launcher randomly broke for me some weeks ago (it randomly worked fine again later). Just head into the game folder and running stellaris.exe.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, the whole ascension perk system needs an overhaul. There are way too many no-brainers and trap choices in there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean, while you're at it, there's a few other things in there that need an 'overhaul' too...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Gort posted:

Yeah, the whole ascension perk system needs an overhaul. There are way too many no-brainers and trap choices in there.

Tell me about it, my ascension choices are 80% the same most of the time. The only thing that really changes is what ascension path I end up going for and if I go habitats or not :V

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Not sure I've ever actually done an ascension path. I usually end up with tech, tech hiding, star bases, colossus, and the megastructure ones, with a couple open for if I need them against crisis event.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Not sure I've ever actually done an ascension path. I usually end up with tech, tech hiding, star bases, colossus, and the megastructure ones, with a couple open for if I need them against crisis event.

Probably should, the robot and biological ones are extremely good and the psionic one is very good.

Tech hiding is a waste outside of MP - last time I did an observer game the AI never researched wreckage. 5 extra star bases is a waste of a slot, too - you should be able to get more starbases than you need and if you want extra fleet cap just whack some fortress habitats somewhere.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gort posted:

Probably should, the robot and biological ones are extremely good and the psionic one is very good.

Tech hiding is a waste outside of MP - last time I did an observer game the AI never researched wreckage. 5 extra star bases is a waste of a slot, too - you should be able to get more starbases than you need and if you want extra fleet cap just whack some fortress habitats somewhere.
I don't like to treat the AI like it's just a stupid AI. I know it is, and can be beaten just by exploring it's flaws, I just don't like to do it.

Starbases is a wild card perk. Whatever I feel like, really.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Even just the first biological ascension lets you build a building that takes 0 jobs but gives you 33% extra pop growth, it's ludicrous

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Even just the first biological ascension lets you build a building that takes 0 jobs but gives you 33% extra pop growth, it's ludicrous

Which combines with the Advanced Traits you get from the second one for even more pop growth.

Which you can use on Hiveminds.

Because balance.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I don't like to treat the AI like it's just a stupid AI. I know it is, and can be beaten just by exploring it's flaws, I just don't like to do it.

Fair enough, as long as you know the perk is useless that's fine

Just seemed weird that you had like, six good perk picks, one bad one and one that does virtually nothing in your list

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gort posted:

Fair enough, as long as you know the perk is useless that's fine

Just seemed weird that you had like, six good perk picks, one bad one and one that does virtually nothing in your list
Shrug

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

use expanded stellaris perks, it adds a bunch of good ones and rebalances a couple of the trash ones from vanilla

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I should try that. Is there a mod that increases the slots? That's probably not possible though.

I find my second choice is always something thematic for the empire I'm playing. Most of my created empires have a theme in my mind, so like The Human Techno Republic took Trancendant Learning because they're meant to be a Technocracy, so education is a major part of it.

Also why do I sometimes reload a game and my symbol and colours have changed?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gort posted:

i would love to take arcane engineering but i simply cannot

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I should try that. Is there a mod that increases the slots? That's probably not possible though.

I find my second choice is always something thematic for the empire I'm playing. Most of my created empires have a theme in my mind, so like The Human Techno Republic took Trancendant Learning because they're meant to be a Technocracy, so education is a major part of it.

Also why do I sometimes reload a game and my symbol and colours have changed?

expanded stellaris traditions and expanded stellaris perks together expand the slots by a lot. not sure which of the two actually does the slot expansion part.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
I want ascension perks to be more unique game stuff and less like bigger traditions "+% bonuses".

Every ascension perk should either be:
- one big empire change (psionics, genetics, robots)
- take one thing away and add a new thing

Eg; a perk that takes away the ability to build anything but battleships, but also unlocks new battleship sections with more non-weapon slots
or a perk that stops you from building X building, but buffs other buildings some other way
or "AI researching", you can no longer chose what to research, but +50% research speed

stuff like that

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 19, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Guilliman posted:

I want ascension perks to be more unique game stuff and less like bigger traditions "+% bonuses".

Every ascension perk should either be:
- one big empire change (psionics, genetics, robots)
- take one thing away and add a new thing

Eg; a perk that takes away the ability to build anything but battleships, but also unlocks new battleship sections with more non-weapon slots
or a perk that stops you from building X building, but buffs other buildings some other way
or "AI researching", you can no longer chose what to research, but +50% research speed

stuff like that

It was basically like this back when they were announced:

Paradox: Ascension Perks are the greatest achievements of your empire.
Also Paradox: Here's 20 Admin Capacity.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

They changed that to 10% at least.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yami Fenrir posted:

It was basically like this back when they were announced:

Paradox: Ascension Perks are the greatest achievements of your empire.
Also Paradox: Here's 20 Admin Capacity.

The sad thing is that the Admin Capacity ascension was one of the best ones

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Uhh, what? I got all the genome mod stuff, and when I (devouring swarm) grabbed a new planet it added hive minded to their pops and gave them full citizenship. I can't remove hive minded, and I can't set them to purge.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 19, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ilkhan posted:

Uhh, what? I got all the genome mod stuff, and when I (devouring swarm) grabbed a new planet it added hive minded to their pops and gave them full citizenship. I can't remove hive minded, and I can't set them to purge.

Yeah that's a thing it does, and I think even says so on the description? You'll have to set the default to purge instead of Assimilation, if you can do that, I'm not actually sure.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yami Fenrir posted:

Yeah that's a thing it does, and I think even says so on the description? You'll have to set the default to purge instead of Assimilation, if you can do that, I'm not actually sure.

You can

ilkhan posted:

Look at default rights in the species screen, in particular it'll say "Assimilation". In general this is a good thing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah why would you say no to free pops?