Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

SlyFrog posted:

Without completely derailing the thread, could you explain this a little more?

Is there some particular reason why airline pilots die early? That seems strange. Most of the ones I see (anecdotal) don't seem particularly fat, and I can't imagine what else would make them particularly susceptible to early mortality compared to the average American lifestyle.

Maybe being at a high altitude is bad for your health. IDK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Also pilots have to display exceptional health at their regular screenings in order to stay working. If they've stopped working it means they failed their medical clearance which also means they've got a health issue

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Flight crews do receive way more lifetime radiation from working at altitude for years and years. Studies are still out on concrete links to increased rates of cancer and the like, but it's probably not a good thing.

Zaurg But A Horse
Apr 14, 2019

Zaurg? Neigh!

zaurg posted:

Can I buy the book from you if you're done with it?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Unlimited Cosmic Radiation

Itty Bitty Metal Tube

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SlyFrog posted:

Without completely derailing the thread, could you explain this a little more?

Is there some particular reason why airline pilots die early? That seems strange. Most of the ones I see (anecdotal) don't seem particularly fat, and I can't imagine what else would make them particularly susceptible to early mortality compared to the average American lifestyle.

Bad and irregular sleep, bad and/or irregular diet, high stress, sedentarism/lack of exercise, radiation, just an overall unnatural way to live life and it can age you faster. Most of the issues seem to be cardiovascular and cancer. Because we have to be healthy enough to keep our medical certificates, pilots who suspect they have a serious health issue will forego going to a doctor lest they be diagnosed with something that might be disqualifying (tragically, they die from things that would have been treatable.) The annual medical certifications for pilots can miss a lot of stuff as it’s kind of superficial.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

fart simpson posted:

lol your old as hell

I am, but I am also glad to have made it this far.

Xguard86 posted:

"no I'm not doing that. Because I don't want to" to anything he felt like. Said it was the best five years of his whole career lol

I am close to that. I travel for work and the last three weeks in North Dakota I have been debating if I want to work for three more years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think mortality rates associated with any road warrior lifestyle are pretty bad. Lots of sitting, bad sleep, family and personal issues, unhealthy food.

Eating alone on the road can be a challenge. I find that running helps, but it’s difficult to healthy. I also know a lot of my fellow travelers spend way to much time in the bars getting hammered.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ropes4u posted:

I am, but I am also glad to have made it this far.

I am close to that. I travel for work and the last three weeks in North Dakota I have been debating if I want to work for three more years.

Eating alone on the road can be a challenge. I find that running helps, but it’s difficult to healthy. I also know a lot of my fellow travelers spend way to much time in the bars getting hammered.

Eating alone on the road can definitely be a challenge. I dropped a bunch of weight being off the road since start of COVID just due to eating home cooked more and also reducing portion sizes - I always hate "wasting" food (thank you mom and dad!) and so I try to eat whatever's in front of me. I'll try to run / move some freeweights around usually and have gotten way in to yoga post COVID so I'll probably add that in too.

I actually find it's more of a challenge with client dinners and team based work. If I'm on my own IDGAF about eating a salad or whatever, but I don't wanna feel like I'm food shaming my clients who are usually big middle aged lads, so I tend to order less healthy options. If I know the client well and it's an intimate dinner, all that's out the window, but that's probably 1 in 20 dinners. If I'm working with a team, there's usually post-dinner work / brainstorm / bullshit and that's usually in the bar. If I'm solo I do a way better job looking after myself.

Now I'm missing the road a bit, poo poo.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My company is in the process of being liquidated and while I have continued employment for now it won't be lasting long. In the mean time it looks like the 401k is being shut down. Wtf happens to it? Is it just an account that sits there until I roll it over to a new one at a new job?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

My company is in the process of being liquidated and while I have continued employment for now it won't be lasting long. In the mean time it looks like the 401k is being shut down. Wtf happens to it? Is it just an account that sits there until I roll it over to a new one at a new job?

The custodian (Vanguard or whoever) will keep your account active (as in, invested the way it is now) and likely charge you an annual maintenance fee unless and until you roll it over. You can probably continue to manage it the same way you are now unless you currently have a company branded portal.

So don't worry: it's YOUR account, not your company's account.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Question about backdoor Roths and our IRAs:

I’m at the point where my AGI is very close to not being able to make a standard Roth IRA contribution. I fully understand that if I want to avoid the pro-rata rule, I’ll need to roll my Traditional IRAs into my 401(k) and then follow the backdoor process. How are my wife’s traditional IRAs treated? Can I leave hers and still complete the backdoor process, or will the value of her IRA play into the pro-rata rule if it’s only for MY Roth IRA contribution. We are MFJ, but wasn’t sure if there was a distinction between who was making the contribution or if it was for the pair of us.

She works part time and has access to a 403(b), but I’m not sure she can roll her Traditional IRA into it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another back door Roth question: what’s current best practice for how long to leave it in the trad IRA before transferring? I know some people do it ASAP while others think one month or six months makes it look more like a legitimate two step transfer. But I vaguely remember that there was some recent ruling or tax bill that legitimized the backdoor Roth and might have changed this?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

smackfu posted:

Another back door Roth question: what’s current best practice for how long to leave it in the trad IRA before transferring? I know some people do it ASAP while others think one month or six months makes it look more like a legitimate two step transfer. But I vaguely remember that there was some recent ruling or tax bill that legitimized the backdoor Roth and might have changed this?

Footnotes 268, 269, 276, and 277 of the 2018 tax bill explicitly condone the process so nobody's really worried about step-transition violations anymore.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

The IRS has said they don't care. My 401k does it instantly on deposit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Perfect, that must have been what I saw.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

smackfu posted:

The backdoor Roth process is 100% legitimate. It started life as an unintended loophole, but every step is well-defined in the law, it has always been well-defined and legal since Roth IRAs and conversions were first written into law, and there is nothing you need to do to "make it look more legitimate."

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you are trying to hide things from the IRS and messing with transaction dates to "make it look more legitimate," that is a huge red flag to stop what you're doing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The concern was that it seemed like the IRS could apply the step transaction doctrine to it and consider them disallowed Roth contributions and penalize everyone at some later point:

quote:

"a series of transactions designed and executed as parts of a unitary plan to achieve an intended result ... will be viewed as a whole regardless of whether the effect of so doing is imposition of or relief from taxation."

You can definitely find reputable articles from a few years ago that suggest that depositing to an IRA then immediately converting to Roth was a bad idea.

quote:

The caveat is that there’s no hard-and-fast rule about “how long” it takes to avoid the step transaction. A prudent rule of thumb in the context of the backdoor Roth contribution is to wait a year.
https://www.kitces.com/blog/how-to-...ction-doctrine/

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

TraderStav posted:

How are my wife’s traditional IRAs treated? Can I leave hers and still complete the backdoor process, or will the value of her IRA play into the pro-rata rule if it’s only for MY Roth IRA contribution. We are MFJ, but wasn’t sure if there was a distinction between who was making the contribution or if it was for the pair of us.

I'm also wondering this

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

The concern was that it seemed like the IRS could apply the step transaction doctrine to it and consider them disallowed Roth contributions and penalize everyone at some later point:

You can definitely find reputable articles from a few years ago that suggest that depositing to an IRA then immediately converting to Roth was a bad idea.

This was me a decade ago and it's why my trad ira is a poo poo show. The IRS published a memo somewhere semi recently (on mobile good luck finding it) saying that it was OK. This has unlocked the door for the majors (fidelity for example) to make it literally automatic in 401k's. I wouldn't worry about it anymore.

At worst if they reprocessed it all you would owe ordinary income on the appreciation of your roth ira balance. Your basis is tax paid.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

TraderStav posted:

I’m at the point where my AGI is very close to not being able to make a standard Roth IRA contribution. I fully understand that if I want to avoid the pro-rata rule, I’ll need to roll my Traditional IRAs into my 401(k) and then follow the backdoor process. How are my wife’s traditional IRAs treated? Can I leave hers and still complete the backdoor process, or will the value of her IRA play into the pro-rata rule if it’s only for MY Roth IRA contribution. We are MFJ, but wasn’t sure if there was a distinction between who was making the contribution or if it was for the pair of us.

She works part time and has access to a 403(b), but I’m not sure she can roll her Traditional IRA into it.

Her IRA doesn't affect your backdoor IRA. Only worry about hers if/when she is interested in doing backdoor's herself.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

smackfu posted:

I would suggest ignoring this random guy on the internet. especially with the 2017 tax law.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Michael Kitces is not some random guy on the internet, he has one of the best teams at interpreting new tax laws and I wouldn't dismiss him out of hand. This article is 6 years old now though so yeah, the advice has become unnecessary under current IRS guidance.

Edit: here's a 2018 article where he expresses surprise that the loophole hadn't been closed as it had been in the Treasury book for potential alteration for a while. I don't think his caution was misplaced back then: https://www.morningstar.com/articles/844017/backdoor-roth-strategy-still-an-option

moana fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 18, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

moana posted:

Michael Kitces is not some random guy on the internet, he has one of the best teams at interpreting new tax laws and I wouldn't dismiss him out of hand. This article is 6 years old now though so yeah, the advice has become unnecessary under current IRS guidance.

Edit: here's a 2018 article where he expresses surprise that the loophole hadn't been closed as it had been in the Treasury book for potential alteration for a while. I don't think his caution was misplaced back then: https://www.morningstar.com/articles/844017/backdoor-roth-strategy-still-an-option

OK fair enough on "random" guy. It was a super old article and I would like to see where the IRS has ever done anything about it (I haven't seen it). Fidelity and others have auto rollovers now, etc. Even the 2018 article says he expects it to close in a few years (3 years later now). If it gets closed the IRS will not do a lookback (I guess they could but....seems very unlikely) and try to "get" people (especially with the lobbying power of the companies like fidelity, I can only imagine the paperwork nightmare). Say the new congress closes it at the end of 2021 then in 2022 people who backdoor will just not be able to going forward.

I guess I am saying that a lot of people do this I didn't lose any sleep over my Trad contribution on Jan 1 and rollover to Roth January 8th.

Of course I could be wrong. Just my feelings around it from what I have read.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, no, I wouldn't be worried about it at all at this point.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

80k posted:

Her IRA doesn't affect your backdoor IRA. Only worry about hers if/when she is interested in doing backdoor's herself.

Thanks for clarifying. I still have headroom in our budget to increase her 403(b) so may still continue down that path, but I'd like to have options at the end of the year. Since she's part time (actually on leave right now due to not willing to work in the schools during the pandemic) she's not contributing anything.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I had a recent windfall when I got married Jan 11 this year, so I have a few months emergency fund.

I have been automatically saving 1/4 of my (after tax) weekly pay for a few years, but I blew some on a pre-covid trip to Hawaii.

I've consulted the flow charts and seeing as how I am a bargaining employee (union) at a government site there is no match on IRA, but they do fund my pension and annuity.

My game plan is to Vanguard simple self fund IRA (mutual maybe 60/40 domestic foreign) and maybe Roth as well. All other options seem to be off the table.

Some of the old timers draw more in pension than they made working, but they have cut the amount you can earn going forward.

Assuming I can at least draw double Social Security when I retire, (SS+pension) would that make maxing Roth more appealing? I ought to be able to draw at least 2k or more a month assuming I work till I'm 50-60.

My wife is contributing 6% but they only really match maybe 2.5% of that.

Also if we file jointly, do I have to do anything for the 11 days this year we weren't married? We earn similar amounts so it doesn't seem to matter if we file joint or individual.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 19, 2021

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
If both you and your partner will have nice sized pensions then you can’t really go wrong with a Roth. If it’s only you with the pension then you should probably do a mix of both traditional and Roth. Both have their strengths but since we can’t predict the future I think it’s best to do a bit of both.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I plan on doing both, I'm not sure if I can max both until my house is paid off though, is 24k+ a year not counting IRA distributions or her SS mean I should prioritise roth for now?

I need to get her above 6% as well, but she's not money smart and is one of those I could die tomorrow enjoy life today types.

I'm a money Horder, because I've been truly hungry and destitute twice in my 20's, also grew up poor.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 19, 2021

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I plan on doing both, I'm not sure if I can max both until my house is paid off though, is 24k+ a year not counting IRA distributions or her SS mean I should prioritise roth for now?

I need to get her above 6% as well, but she's not money smart and is one of those I could die tomorrow enjoy life today types.

I'm a money Horder, because I've been truly hungry and destitute twice in my 20's

Gotta prepare for the absolute worst case scenario of having a very long life. It's truly a terrible thing to consider.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

I plan on doing both, I'm not sure if I can max both until my house is paid off though

I could easily be misreading this, but you can’t “max both.” The IRA contribution limit is for traditional and Roth combined.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm a money Horder, because I've been truly hungry and destitute twice in my 20's, also grew up poor.

Find a balance between enjoy life today and money hoarder if you haven't already. I too grew up poor (like food stamps, section 8, free lunch poor), but realize tomorrow isn't promised. I plan for retirement, mostly because my wife's family lives to be in their 90's and I want to make sure she's taken care of when I'm gone, but I take time to enjoy life today. My dad died at 52, I can't count on making it to 65. Rather spend time and money with my wife and kids now.

That being said if you expect significant income in retirement, like 2 people earning SS and 1 or 2 pensions, I would lean towards Roth options now.

I'm also of the opinion that you'd be better off maxing your savings right now and not worry about paying the house off when interest rates are this stupid low. That's just me though, I know you probably abhor any kind of debt.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My wife is getting a promotion and a raise, and it puts us to the point where we have reduced Roth IRA contribution limits. Good problem to have :gbsmith:

I went ahead and allocated any possible Roth contributions to our 401ks and will evaluate what that looks like after a few months. Still trying to reason with survivor's guilt over being in this kind of situation but that's another thread. Seeing our total charitable contributions with the company match really helped.

Big thanks to everyone who put forth a lot of effort and advice last month to help me out of the goon well of "hey I really should sell brokerage funds and use my bonus to pay off my mortgage way early". The flee-your-debt mindset is a tough one to shake but after really sleeping on it and talking with my wife, who normally doesn't have any interest in managing our finances, I finally settled in to at least accept cheap fixed rate debt as part of the whole package.

It helped that she mentioned she'd finally like to do a Japan trip once it's safe, so having something to set the bonus aside for helped seal the deal. It prevents me from spending it frivolously, which was a very big driver of "yeet our debt so you aren't tempted raaaargh".

So yeah, thanks moana, kyoon, and all the goons whose names I can't recall off the top of my head, your input was valuable and wise.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

raminasi posted:

I could easily be misreading this, but you can’t “max both.” The IRA contribution limit is for traditional and Roth combined.
I did not know that!

skipdogg posted:

I'm also of the opinion that you'd be better off maxing your savings right now and not worry about paying the house off when interest rates are this stupid low. That's just me though, I know you probably abhor any kind of debt.
I have 5 months salary saved time to invest for retirement.
I went from 5.12% 30yr to 2.625% 15yr on my mortgage and no longer want to make extra payments anymore, interest is too low and I'll have a paid house before I'm 50.

I can get better returns with an index fund and if it crashes I still have 30 years for it to bounce back.

I've read a lot of these finance threads and books over the years.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

MJP posted:

My wife is getting a promotion and a raise, and it puts us to the point where we have reduced Roth IRA contribution limits. Good problem to have :gbsmith:

If you're at a high-earning point in your life, you MIGHT be better off with some of all that going towards traditional pre-tax 401k contributions. If you're maxing that and if you don't have a lot of money in traditional IRAs, start taking advantage of the backdoor IRA on top of that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

why aren’t more people believers in the gospel of leverage

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

If you're at a high-earning point in your life, you MIGHT be better off with some of all that going towards traditional pre-tax 401k contributions. If you're maxing that and if you don't have a lot of money in traditional IRAs, start taking advantage of the backdoor IRA on top of that.

We have yet to both hit the $19,500 per person 401k contribution limit. Should we both be maxed before looking into backdoor Rothing?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

MJP posted:

We have yet to both hit the $19,500 per person 401k contribution limit. Should we both be maxed before looking into backdoor Rothing?

Assuming you're hitting the max of any available match, it's really a personal preference.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fart simpson posted:

why aren’t more people believers in the gospel of leverage

There is significant financial risk. Many people don't understand how it works.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

What's this thread's thoughts on 529 plans? I've got an infant and need to start saving for her college now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

LiterallyATomato posted:

What's this thread's thoughts on 529 plans? I've got an infant and need to start saving for her college now.

529 plans are for the wealthy. Prioritize retirement. You can cash flow or take loans out when it’s tuition time.

Not to say you shouldn’t start one. I stash gifts from family in the 529. If you’re maxing retirement accounts and your state gives a tax break for contributions then you can consider contributing up to the tax break max.