Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hacker's Memory has some decent implied and more-or-less explicit representation for that crowd, more than I expected from a Digimon game. Cyber Sleuth also has one confirmed gay character but just as a gag, although thankfully not one that makes fun of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Evil Fluffy posted:

More games need party members like Sylvando.

They really do. I can't stress enough just how unprepared I was for DQXI to have such strong emotional beats, and the Knight in Smiling Armor is absolutely like half of them on his own, out of many, many more. When he was introduced I kept waiting for the ball to drop, and for there to be something, like, sinister I guess? And that not happening even remotely has been one of the most pleasant surprises I've had in games in a while.

Tangentially related to the Persona topic re:queerness, I also kept waiting for Sylvando's characterization to wind up some lovely homophobic joke--even though they don't mention sexuality at all--but in ~55 hours it hasn't happened. The dude and his Soldiers of Smile are just legit caring, goofy people that, a decade ago, would've been done terribly with the slightest pivot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What are some JRPG's with end of turn results displayed?

I never actually finished Golden Sun but it's always the first example on my mind for some reason. You'd get a little message after your turn saying you did 1 damage or whatever. Baten Kaitos has something like that, too.

It's very helpful to have a permanent screen saying what you or the enemy did instead of just numbers floating up.

I mean, I can typically deal with the numbers. Unless it's FFXV. But still, I liked this feature a lot.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sab Sabbington posted:

Tangentially related to the Persona topic re:queerness, I also kept waiting for Sylvando's characterization to wind up some lovely homophobic joke--even though they don't mention sexuality at all--but in ~55 hours it hasn't happened. The dude and his Soldiers of Smile are just legit caring, goofy people that, a decade ago, would've been done terribly with the slightest pivot.
Him and Dave (I really wanted it to be written Davé at least once but it never was) are just so loving good. From the trailer, I expected to like Sylvando, but I didn't expect him to be executed well and steal the entire show from the rest of the party (who are mostly mediocre - old pervert, sassy young girl, naive priestess, obvious love interest who also knows kung fu... all I'm saying is that Hendrik should have joined you sooner cause at least he was interesting, and Veronica should have stayed full grown and Serena been stuck as a kid cause at least then we'd have one interesting sister)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The first three Fire Emblems display damage in a “X attacks! 20 damage! Y’s counterattack! Does 5 damage” type format. And pretty much every Dragon Quest, but that kinda speaks to how oldschool that kinda feature is.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Him and Dave (I really wanted it to be written Davé at least once but it never was) are just so loving good. From the trailer, I expected to like Sylvando, but I didn't expect him to be executed well and steal the entire show from the rest of the party (who are mostly mediocre - old pervert, sassy young girl, naive priestess, obvious love interest who also knows kung fu... all I'm saying is that Hendrik should have joined you sooner cause at least he was interesting, and Veronica should have stayed full grown and Serena been stuck as a kid cause at least then we'd have one interesting sister)

We have very different reactions to some of the characters, though I think Serena and Veronica's stuff is spot on--and Erik is just, like, whatever. I can't get over his voice acting, for some reason. I am so exceptionally loving over de-aging and/or 'ancient being that looks like a prepubescent girl' tropes that I think I would be mostly fine with the character if that wasn't there. There is a line though, at one point, that had me say 'gently caress off' out loud, by myself, when Veronica explains that she received a relic passed down by her ancestor, Serenica.

While I do wish the old pervert characterization just, like, wasn't there at all, it's (so far) been fairly mild, and some of the emotional beats with the character have hit harder than anything else. The vignette sequence in particular floored me.

Is Jade widely considered the obvious love interest? She's like, fine, but I guess I might be blinded by my dumb affinity for 'childhood friends become true loves' bullshit and hadn't considered anyone but Gemma.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Genma was literally the only marriage option in the original DQ 11.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Endorph posted:

the issue there is the characters still wind up more socially acceptable, not less, in a game where societal pressure loving you up is a big theme. kanji stops dying his hair and wears glasses, naoto dresses femininely, yukiko does what her parents want, rise goes back to being a pop idol, chie doesn't have a character arc and yosuke's whole deal was never really about societal pressure. p5 still bungles the same theme even worse tho so

edit: also plenty of RPGs before, during, and after p4's release engaged with gay stuff. liek yeah social attitudes have changed in the past 13 or so years but p4 doesnt get some credit for being 'the first' because it isn't and it wasn't particularly bold with its attempts at bringing stuff up.

like freaking paper mario had a halfway decent trans character three years beforehand. nintendo of america took that away because theyre cowards but still.

Isn't the point of Naoto that she dresses/acts like a male because society demands that if she wants to be a successful detective, that's what she needs to be? So, like, dressing more feminine is more akin to 'okay I can be more ladylike and also be a badass detective'?

I mean, yes she could have been a trans character, but it's not like the writers took a character who is trans and perverted the plot to make it not so, it was more like a woman trying to fit into a world dominated by men.

Edit: Unless there was a writer who wanted to make them trans but then that intent was changed, that might've happened given some of the higher-ups, but I dunno.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 18, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

old pervert, sassy young girl, naive priestess, obvious love interest who also knows kung fu...

you forgot jade

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sab Sabbington posted:

Hell yeah, I'm not even sorry, the emotional beats hit me like a truck and I'm extremely here for it.

I also named my protagonist Sab without knowing that there was a character named Rab, and now it's just hella awkward.

I went with Guile as my first name.

Naturally, I started over once I found out that was the title of one of the party member's skill trees.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Isn't the point of Naoto that she dresses/acts like a male because society demands that if she wants to be a successful detective, that's what she needs to be? So, like, dressing more feminine is more akin to 'okay I can be more ladylike and also be a badass detective'?

I mean, yes she could have been a trans character, but it's not like the writers took a character who is trans and perverted the plot to make it not so, it was more like a woman trying to fit into a world dominated by men.

Edit: Unless there was a writer who wanted to make them trans but then that intent was changed, that might've happened given some of the higher-ups, but I dunno.
a woman dressing in a way thats obviously feminine is more socially acceptable. itd be one thing if she just stopped wearing a boys uniform/binding but the stuff with her growing her hair out in the sequel novel about her feels very much like just, defanging her. you dont need to dress in a very specific way to be feminine, she could wear pants and have short hair and still be openly feminine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looper posted:

you forgot jade

Hey, the game did first!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tae posted:

The "Yosuke" attitude was super common back in 2014 when I was in middle/high school, most people didn't even know all the letters to LGBT other than just some extra club option.

"Joined October 2010"

Oh god how young were you when you joined.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

As mentioned earlier a big part of the problem is every P4 character does this.

Oh she doesn't actually want to leave the inn or disobey her parents. She was just having teenage emotions.
Oh she doesn't actually want to stop being an idol cause it's a lovely exploitative industry. She was just tired and look idols are cute idols idols idols.
Oh he's not actually gay or a delinquent, he just likes sewing and will start dressing conservatively now that he's no long "confused".
Oh she's not actually trans/gender non conforming. She just felt like she needed to cause if sexism. Which isn't actually as bad as she thought silly girl.

P4 exploits counter culture/minority imagery then flees from actually having minorities or even any deviations from societal norms and expectations. P5 does the same. It's a pattern.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I thought Veronica was really fun and cool? The game isn't weird about her and she treats it more like "ha I'm an all powerful magician, being a kid again is a fun little trip down memory lane"

Unless you can marry her and she stays a kid, idk if that can happen but it'd be gross if it does. She's a lil munchkin who dresses like a red gnome and is super sassy it's great

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cephas posted:

I thought Veronica was really fun and cool? The game isn't weird about her and she treats it more like "ha I'm an all powerful magician, being a kid again is a fun little trip down memory lane"

Unless you can marry her and she stays a kid, idk if that can happen but it'd be gross if it does. She's a lil munchkin who dresses like a red gnome and is super sassy it's great

Someone mentioned the Veronica ending is you going on a journey to get her aged up.

Now how anyone would know this when the Sylvando ending is right there I'll never know.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If you want to prove to her you're capable of ideas that aren't completely stupid after all.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I tried out Zanki Zero on a whim and found that it was not all that good in the gameplay department, so then I switched it to the mode where only bosses show up to die in one hit and then the story decided to start sucking more than it was before and then I uninstalled it to play some CrossCode because it was a more fun use of my time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
persona 4's ultimate sin is that its writing is just kind of boring and flat and its jokes have about a 5% chance of actually hitting

i think a reason p3 still kinda stands out is cause it actually does have some amount of personality in its script to match its visuals

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 18, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Someone mentioned the Veronica ending is you going on a journey to get her aged up.

Now how anyone would know this when the Sylvando ending is right there I'll never know.

i married erik, sylvando is way too good for the protagonist

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Endorph posted:

star ocean 2 had that one gay date scene didnt it

Is this the Claude/Ashton barrel PA or something else I'm forgetting? I don't remember that coding as a "date" but it's been a long time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

A Sometimes Food posted:

I couldn't break up Sylvando and Dave!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is this the Claude/Ashton barrel PA or something else I'm forgetting? I don't remember that coding as a "date" but it's been a long time.

I think there's a Claude/Ashton PA where they go to a cafe together and they can have a ~fancy romantic~ drink or something. But I'm 90% sure that romance points literally don't do anything between those two characters. Star Ocean 2 is loving weird.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 18, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't see how P3 has any more personality than P4. It's really just the awkward middle phase between old Persona and new when P4 was the game that perfected the formula that made Persona the success hat it is.

P3 started the ball rolling to be sure but I like to point out how the separation between the mundane world and the fantastical world wasn't so absolute in that game. P4 really solidified that you are just a normal teenager most of the time and only become superman in one magical area. P3 had robots and you could call your Personas anywhere, not just in a dungeon. Again, a holdover from old Persona.

Plus I personally find small town Japan and living with my anime dad and sister far more interesting than generic island and school dorm. Speaking o old Persona, Inaba is like Sumaru in that the town is a character as much as the actual characters. The game gives you a reason to care about the fate of this place you live and it even gets its own "ending" in P4G.

P3 was fun but it shows all the signs of being the first iteration of a new system and style. It is the Nocturne of Persona and thankfully we got IVA and P4G as evolutions of that rough beginnings.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

A Bystander posted:

I tried out Zanki Zero on a whim and found that it was not all that good in the gameplay department, so then I switched it to the mode where only bosses show up to die in one hit and then the story decided to start sucking more than it was before and then I uninstalled it to play some CrossCode because it was a more fun use of my time.

I quite liked Zanki Zero, I found it a game that I'm not going to forget for some time. A unique setting, some interesting characters, and an ending that I found surprisingly touching. I also really liked the gameplay, the unique mechanic of dying in specific ways to get stronger was cool - reducing the difficulty made the game boring as hell, as there were fewer resources, no need to dodge around enemy attacks, and no reason to engage with any of the mechanics like weak points or what not.

A Sometimes Food posted:

As mentioned earlier a big part of the problem is every P4 character does this.

Yeah, fair I guess. I don't have a particularly strong opinion on it, I just find it hard to judge characters in fiction on stuff like this, otherwise you could point at any character and say 'why aren't they more like this instead?'.

I will say that some characters are straight-up garbage, especially the one that exists solely to say 'lol fat people amirite'. Feels like it was even worse in P4G.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't see how P3 has any more personality than P4. It's really just the awkward middle phase between old Persona and new when P4 was the game that perfected the formula that made Persona the success hat it is.

P3 started the ball rolling to be sure but I like to point out how the separation between the mundane world and the fantastical world wasn't so absolute in that game. P4 really solidified that you are just a normal teenager most of the time and only become superman in one magical area. P3 had robots and you could call your Personas anywhere, not just in a dungeon. Again, a holdover from old Persona.

Plus I personally find small town Japan and living with my anime dad and sister far more interesting than generic island and school dorm. Speaking o old Persona, Inaba is like Sumaru in that the town is a character as much as the actual characters. The game gives you a reason to care about the fate of this place you live and it even gets its own "ending" in P4G.

P3 was fun but it shows all the signs of being the first iteration of a new system and style. It is the Nocturne of Persona and thankfully we got IVA and P4G as evolutions of that rough beginnings.

I don't see how the bolded part is a strike against P3?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Hacker's Memory has some decent implied and more-or-less explicit representation for that crowd, more than I expected from a Digimon game. Cyber Sleuth also has one confirmed gay character but just as a gag, although thankfully not one that makes fun of him.

I mean Fei’s gay and she isn’t really treated as a gag or anything.

I guess it’s not exactly ‘explicit’ but I dunno how you could read her any other way.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You're not supposed to actually play a Persona game. You're just supposed to listen to the soundtracks on youtube.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even as a teen when the games were new I liked P3 way more than P4 and couldn't understand why the reverse was the conventional wisdom

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't see how the bolded part is a strike against P3?

For real, it honestly is one of the things I dislike most about Persona 4 and 5. I want the fantastical to blend in more with the normal world.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Ashton invites Claude out for drinks in Armlock and you have the option to order something called a Heartthrob that is just one huge drink with two straws and they get kinda no homo about it but none of the npcs care (the only one how says something comments on Ashton's dragons instead, but the way Claude reacts makes it feel like an incident of script butchery??? it's really hard to tell with SO2). Haven't played enough of Second Evolution and can't find the scene on youtube, so I can't comment on whether a more faithful/coherent script translation clears it up. Either way, they drink the drink and you get romance points with Ashton which are actually useless because it's friendship points, not romance, that determine if you get an ending with someone of the same gender.

e: also afterwards you unlock another pa where you can go on an actual date to the same place with Rena and it's definitely shippy

Leraika fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 18, 2021

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I quite liked Zanki Zero, I found it a game that I'm not going to forget for some time. A unique setting, some interesting characters, and an ending that I found surprisingly touching. I also really liked the gameplay, the unique mechanic of dying in specific ways to get stronger was cool - reducing the difficulty made the game boring as hell, as there were fewer resources, no need to dodge around enemy attacks, and no reason to engage with any of the mechanics like weak points or what not.

I did engage with it for a time and everything felt tedious instead of entertaining, which tells me this style of gameplay is not for me. My main draw was the plot and it turned out lame.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cyber Sleuth also just has a ton of gay and npcs with gender stuff, they aren't major characters or anything but they're there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish Cyber Sleuth was more fun to play...I fell off it pretty fast. The combat was just boring to me and the team shuffling wasn't very fun either...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Cyber Sleuth also just has a ton of gay and npcs with gender stuff, they aren't major characters or anything but they're there.

Yeah there's the one (side quest?) NPC if you're a girl who outright says she's into you.

The piano teacher thing was Phantasy Star 2 but also because of the localisation change it's like.. is he calling Shir, Anna and Amy dumb looking? It's weird.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There’s a side quest NPC in Cybersleuth who became a black hat hacker because the VR internet that is necessary for modern life enforces a two gender reality and they’re NB which honestly whipped rear end and I wish had been followed up on more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hacker's Memory also has poor sweet Yu, the MC's closeted gay friend who has a huge crush on him

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry - you can get married in DQ11??? What??

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So many years ago now I was thinking of finally getting into Dragon Quest. A poster very helpfully gave a summary of each game with details of the gameplay and story. It was very interesting reading about the evolution of the gameplay in particular.

Me being me, I failed to actually play any of them. I dunno if that poster is still around but would anyone be willing to do the same again? After I finish FFX, I feel like I'm finally ready to sink my teeth into a new JRPG and a DQ game is on my list.. I know the most popular ones but I'd just like to hear some details of all of them and make up my own mind.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Fei’s gay and she isn’t really treated as a gag or anything.

I guess it’s not exactly ‘explicit’ but I dunno how you could read her any other way.

She was the 'more-or-less', since while they do the expected dancing around the topic if you bring it up and neither of them outright say so, the tape you find in Hacker's Memory about her cooking for Yuuko is just straight-up called 'Time Spent with a Lover', which, yeah, you can't take in any way but that.

The character I meant was that one fellow from the Lillymon quest in Cyber Sleuth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

So many years ago now I was thinking of finally getting into Dragon Quest. A poster very helpfully gave a summary of each game with details of the gameplay and story. It was very interesting reading about the evolution of the gameplay in particular.

Me being me, I failed to actually play any of them. I dunno if that poster is still around but would anyone be willing to do the same again? After I finish FFX, I feel like I'm finally ready to sink my teeth into a new JRPG and a DQ game is on my list.. I know the most popular ones but I'd just like to hear some details of all of them and make up my own mind.

flip a coin, heads is 6 tails is 5

no joke i know i don't enjoy the dragon quest series in general but having played a bit of them all, except 9 and 10, these two stand out to me as the best of the best