Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is a question for a later time but I'm asking it now because it just popped into my head: What's a good disinfectant product to spray out the inside of a helmet? I promised a handful of cute people moto rides when the season starts up again and now, more than ever, I feel like that's an important thing to have on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You don't need to disinfect the helmet, just let it cool off for a day or two.

If the pads inside get gross, or you just want to clean the helmet for peace of mind, pull them out and wash them by hand in the sink like you would delicate underwear. It's a good idea to do this every six months or so, or more frequently if you ride a lot -- you'll be grossed out by how much gunk comes out.

If you are planning to take multiple people on back seat joyrides on the same day, maybe chill out a bit you dog

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

You don't need to disinfect the helmet, just let it cool off for a day or two.

If the pads inside get gross, or you just want to clean the helmet for peace of mind, pull them out and wash them by hand in the sink like you would delicate underwear. It's a good idea to do this every six months or so, or more frequently if you ride a lot -- you'll be grossed out by how much gunk comes out.

If you are planning to take multiple people on back seat joyrides on the same day, maybe chill out a bit you dog

Or give the passengers a shower cap like a moto taxi.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Midjack posted:

Or give the passengers a shower cap like a moto taxi.

Moto taxis are a thing? Where? I want this job.

For no more than a week

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

epalm posted:

For no more than a week

Southeast Asia and you really do not.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Just stick them back on with double sided tape, that's what they come with. Just clean the rim super surgically or you'll ruin the glue, it only gives you one chance to get it stuck down. And yeah just leave the extender on there all the time it won't hurt anything.

Thanks Slavvy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epalm posted:

For no more than a week

They have* them in London. They used to pick people up at Heathrow. I don't think they were ever popular, but they were there.

*probably not anymore.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

tbh if you've ever had the displeasure of landing at LAX at 5pm on a Friday, a moto taxi sounds like a pretty good idea. Except for the whole luggage thing, and the fact that if I didn't need luggage I would have just taken my own bike to the airport. And I don't want to ride on the back of someone else's bike.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

They have* them in London. They used to pick people up at Heathrow. I don't think they were ever popular, but they were there.

*probably not anymore.

Limobike are still going. Not popular, but I see them from time to time.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I’m in the process of cleaning and rebuilding a FCR-MX carb.

In amongst the 90-mile-beach quantity of sand that came out during the main body’s first pass through the ultrasonic cleaner, there were also a few small chunks of aluminium.

As far as I can tell, they all came from the fuel inlet as they spat out into my hand when blowing air through the brass float needle seat.

I can’t see any damage down the fuel inlet, but slightly concerned.

Is it worth taking the seat out, or do I assume the chunks came off a petcock? If I’ve read right, playing with the float needle is unwise and likely to make work in the future.

[edit] does anyone have a FCR-MX assembly diagram 😬

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 16, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If they came from the fuel inlet it’s generally safe to assume it’s crud from the tank

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If they came from the fuel inlet it’s generally safe to assume it’s crud from the tank
this seems to be the consensus.

As Shelvocke said on slack. “It’s from a KTM. There’s probably bits of rear axle in there”

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Steakandchips posted:

If I left the valve extender on, would I have to rebalance the wheel (I don't have the tools or space to take off the wheel, so I don't want to have to do rebalance the wheel)?

Wait, there's actually a screw on 90* angle valve extension?

Why didn't I know this before?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Same. I need the gently caress out of that.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Interesting photo in this ad for one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Chris Knight posted:

Same. I need the gently caress out of that.

Same! drat. I just didn't think to search for exactly what I needed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PeterCat posted:

The bodhisattvalve

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

The bodhisattvalve

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PeterCat posted:

How is it not $14.88

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PeterCat posted:

sieg fail, right handed swastikas are the white power ones. They can’t even get their most recognizable, easiest to draw hate symbols right.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ah yes, the chinese skinhead nazi :newlol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Midjack posted:

sieg fail

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Is there a proper way to dispose of a helmet that's past it's useful life? Thought I'd double check before just chucking it in the dumpster

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Asleep Style posted:

Is there a proper way to dispose of a helmet that's past it's useful life? Thought I'd double check before just chucking it in the dumpster

Target practice?
Explosives?
Death by hydraulic press?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Asleep Style posted:

If you’re worried about someone diving it and reusing an expired helmet cut it in half, but otherwise no, it just takes up space in your trash can if you don’t put it in there upside down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A friend of mine once burned one in a bonfire and the resulting smoke was so thick and black you could see it at night against the dark sky

I do not recommend that path

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I took mine out back and beat it with a sledgehammer, and was more surprised than I should have been to find that helmets are really good at taking large impacts from fast-moving blunt objects

mewse
May 2, 2006

Phy posted:

I took mine out back and beat it with a sledgehammer, and was more surprised than I should have been to find that helmets are really good at taking large impacts from fast-moving blunt objects

When I was in my early 20s we were painting houses and the fittest guy on the crew tried to break a nalgene bottle with a hammer, and only made small dents. Polycarbonate is ridiculously strong when built properly.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Asleep Style posted:

I’ve heard you can donate it to your local emergency services so they can use it to practice safe removal etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Target practice?
Explosives?
Death by hydraulic press?

Automotive trackday enthusiasts.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks everyone

Toe Rag posted:

I’ve heard you can donate it to your local emergency services so they can use it to practice safe removal etc.

I'll see if this is an option locally and just pitch it if not

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would say it'd be a good option for those of us who ride with a skeleton on the back during October, but it'd be WAY too big for their head. Probably need a kid sized helmet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Or a comically large skeleton

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Paint it up like an astronaut helmet and give it to a child.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Ok yeah this one.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Bonus points if it's an Arai b/c it's already shaped like a space helmet

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Or a comically large skeleton

Too bad those 12 ft skeletons instantly sold out last year, although they would be too big to fit on a bike (safely).

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

How bad an idea is it to consider purchasing a full four carb rebuild kit and trying to refurb my own with walkthroughs and videos, versus just sending them off for a couple of hundred bucks to someone who specializes in them?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

gileadexile posted:

How bad an idea is it to consider purchasing a full four carb rebuild kit and trying to refurb my own with walkthroughs and videos, versus just sending them off for a couple of hundred bucks to someone who specializes in them?

Do you like fixing things?

What about trying to fix things and then loving it up?

If you want the bike to definitely work then just send them out.

If you want to fiddle with stuff or need to save the money then do it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do it. Carbs are metal blocks with holes in them. Between YouTube and here you can do it!