Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Stay locked down for at least the next 3 months only for it to shoot up again or a little longer than a month in a zero covid manner and keep it down.

Your call!

114: At least how many days this lockdown will last unless we get a zero covid strategy implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Wait what slingshot channel guy?

Or to put it another way, youtubers' union guy?
Yes. After the Westminster Bridge attack the Mail made up a lovely lie even by their standards, that a video where he was demonstrating that some cheap anti-stab vests were not safe for purpose was actually about how to stab through police vests, purely for a cheap outrage article.

It led to his whole channel being reported for terrorism within hours, everything taken down, and counterterror executing a raid on his house.

It all got cleared up eventually when someone decided to watch the actual video and realized that it was the complete opposite of what the Mail were claiming, but it was still a massively poo poo situation and yet didn't even appear on the radar of the 'cancel culture' warriors.

Not linking to their lovely article, but it's still publicly accessible and full of lies.

Johnson enjoys breaking Good Friday agreements.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

:vince:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

We already figured out the solution for that years ago, just send this guy in

I think he had a friend with a red outfit too?

That they've not tried rebooting/rereleasing this game, complete with Pixies theme tune, is the real Gamergate imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IC-P5fnLx8

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I like the Israeli Labour Party as the only ex-social democratic party more loving hopeless than our own.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've joined the CWU since they now court IT staff as well as actual communications workers.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Angrymog posted:

I've joined the CWU since they now court IT staff as well as actual communications workers.

Yeah, same.

In terms of lockdown restrictions: if we really do manage to vaccinate all the elderly and vulnerable people by the end of Feb, continuing a full lockdown past March will become very difficult to justify.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

We need to get second doses out there for that - while 1 dose is somewhat protective, the data is clear a second dose is better, so I think those are important. But there's no need to enforce restrictions when the over 60s and vunriable have all been double dosed - while you'll still get spread and some deaths, the potential for surges like we're seeing now should be blunted.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm losing track

In the doves v hawks analogy here who is the enemy?
are the hawks in favour of tougher restrictions to fight the virus or are they in favour of letting the virus attack our own population?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm losing track

In the doves v hawks analogy here who is the enemy?
are the hawks in favour of tougher restrictions to fight the virus or are they in favour of letting the virus attack our own population?

Doves would be the ones advocating for longer lockdowns and such, hawks are the ones arguing for cutting the lockdowns asap to get the economy going again and poo poo. In this instance both are still tories so they are both enemies but the doves are at least somewhat trying to minimise deaths.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Nothingtoseehere posted:

We need to get second doses out there for that - while 1 dose is somewhat protective, the data is clear a second dose is better, so I think those are important. But there's no need to enforce restrictions when the over 60s and vunriable have all been double dosed - while you'll still get spread and some deaths, the potential for surges like we're seeing now should be blunted.

Healthcare systems may not collapse but it's still a bad idea letting a new virus which inflicts medium term health consequences (at the very least) on many sufferers and with mutations coming fast just plough through the population because it'll be sunny and people miss the pub.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Doves would be the ones advocating for longer lockdowns and such, hawks are the ones arguing for cutting the lockdowns asap to get the economy going again and poo poo. In this instance both are still tories so they are both enemies but the doves are at least somewhat trying to minimise deaths.

Yes, but 'doves versus hawks' is usually foreign policy terminology for 'conciliators versus aggressors'. It's worth examining this quote and contemplating who and what the hawks are being hawkish against.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

namesake posted:

Healthcare systems may not collapse but it's still a bad idea letting a new virus which inflicts medium term health consequences (at the very least) on many sufferers and with mutations coming fast just plough through the population because it'll be sunny and people miss the pub.

It's also a bad idea to continue a restrictive lockdown that further increases wealth inequality and poverty among the young and working class while further damaging people's mental health, education, futures etc. While most of that could be mitigated by a competent or human government, we don't have one - we have to choose between a further lockdown which benefits the rich more or easing it earlier to their short term benefit and unknown medium term risk.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

Does the UK even have freedom of speech? Doesn't it come with like a million asterixes
You can say whatever you like! People in the UK are completely free to express their opinions.

However if your opinion is nasty leftist harrassment, to do so without being sued by Rachel Riley someone who objects to your defence of Corbyn, you must be rich enough to have legal insurance, or be able to afford having a slander / libel case dragged out long enough for you to be bankrupted, at which point 90% of the UK's rentier class will not touch you with a bargepole! Congratulations on being made homeless by the numbers witch!

Also to have that opinion distributed to millions of impressionable drones, you must also go to the right dinner parties, and to go to the right dinner parties, you must also have gone to the right schools.

Finally, you must also accept that when you express your opinion, American run social media sites will ban you, but do nothing about the army of alt-right maniacs threatening to kill the dog / wife / child you accidentally uploaded a picture of before you knew any better.

It's a fun game!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Darth Walrus posted:

Yes, but 'doves versus hawks' is usually foreign policy terminology for 'conciliators versus aggressors'. It's worth examining this quote and contemplating who and what the hawks are being hawkish against.
They think they are the hawks, the people using that analogy always think that, the implication being that "hawks" are the ruthless hard-hitting realists as opposed to the well-meaning ineffectual wet blankets. "Doves" don't use the same analogy because they instead characterise the other side as "total bastards".

In this case, they are being hawkish against *checks notes* the elderly, the infirm and the vulnerable.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's also a bad idea to continue a restrictive lockdown that further increases wealth inequality and poverty among the young and working class while further damaging people's mental health, education, futures etc. While most of that could be mitigated by a competent or human government, we don't have one - we have to choose between a further lockdown which benefits the rich more or easing it earlier to their short term benefit and unknown medium term risk.

If we can't affect the government then no we can't choose at all. If we can affect them then let's get them to do the right way out.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Confirmation that we're underreporting deaths

quote:

Almost a third of recovered Covid patients will end up back in hospital within five months and one in eight will die, alarming new figures have shown.

Research by Leicester University and the Office for National Statistics (ONS) found there is a devastating long-term toll on survivors of severe coronavirus, with many people developing heart problems, diabetes and chronic liver and kidney conditions.

Out of 47,780 people who were discharged from hospital in the first wave, 29.4 per cent were readmitted to hospital within 140 days, and 12.3 per cent of the total died.

The current cut-off point for recording Covid deaths is 28 days after a positive test, so it may mean thousands more people should be included in the coronavirus death statistics.

Researchers have called for urgent monitoring of people who have been discharged from hospital.

Study author Kamlesh Khunti, professor of primary care diabetes and vascular medicine at Leicester University, said: “This is the largest study of people discharged from hospital after being admitted with Covid.

“People seem to be going home, getting long-term effects, coming back in and dying. We see nearly 30 per cent have been readmitted, and that’s a lot of people. The numbers are so large.

“The message here is we really need to prepare for long Covid. It’s a mammoth task to follow up with these patients and the NHS is really pushed at the moment, but some sort of monitoring needs to be arranged.”

The study found that Covid survivors were nearly three and a half times more likely to be readmitted to hospital, and die, in the 140 days timeframe than other hospital outpatients.

Prof Khunti said the team had been surprised to find that many people were going back in with a new diagnosis, and many had developed heart, kidney and liver problems, as well as diabetes.

He said it was important to make sure people were placed on protective therapies, such as statins and aspirin.

“We don’t know if it’s because Covid destroyed the beta cells which make insulin and you get Type 1 diabetes, or whether it causes insulin resistance, and you develop Type 2, but we are seeing these surprising new diagnoses of diabetes,” he added.

“We’ve seen studies where survivors have had MRS scans and they’ve cardiac problems and liver problems.

“These people urgently require follow up and the need to be on things like aspirin and statins.”

The new study was published on a pre-print server and is yet to be peer reviewed. However experts described the paper as “important”.

Commenting on the study on Twitter, Christina Pagel, director of the clinical operational research unit at University College London said: “This is such important work. Covid is about so much more than death. A significant burden of long-term illness after hospitalisation for Covid.”

Last year, researchers at North Bristol NHS Trust found that three quarters of virus patients treated at Bristol's Southmead Hospital were still experiencing problems three months later.

Symptoms included breathlessness, excessive fatigue and muscle aches, leaving people struggling to wash, dress and return to work.

Some patients say they have been left needing a wheelchair since contracting the virus, while others claim they can no longer walk up the stairs without experiencing chest pain.

In December, the ONS estimated that one in 10 people who catch coronavirus go on to suffer long Covid with symptoms lasting three months or more.

Overall, roughly 186,000 people in private households in England in the week beginning November 22 were living with Covid-19 symptoms that had persisted for between five and 12 weeks, the most up-to-date ONS data shows.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/almost-third-recovered-covid-patients-180255388.html

So over a five month follow-up period almost 1/3 of covid hospital admissions are readmitted and 1/8 of people originally admitted and subsequently discharged die, after the initial 28 day window. Presumably this means that the pressure on the NHS will continue to grow for a period even as infections decline as people are readmitted at a later date.

Holy poo poo long-covid is terrifying.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Guav, welcome to the provisional conditional discontinuous IRA, which I formed in my local Tesco carpark last night

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

blunt posted:

Confirmation that we're underreporting deaths

Should show up in excess deaths though, assuming they aren't loving with that somehow. However the latest data I can see on that is FT from Dec11, where UK was at 81k.

I know it won't be a complete accounting due to lockdown affecting certain behaviours leading to deaths, and reduced flu deaths, etc., but every metric is a proxy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I am not over 60 and not in line for a vaccine and as far as I'm concerned you can throw all the over 60s in a big blender cos I don't see why I should be put at risk just because they'll probably be fine.

They already get every loving thing else done for them I don't see why I should get sick for the useless pricks.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That they've not tried rebooting/rereleasing this game, complete with Pixies theme tune, is the real Gamergate imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IC-P5fnLx8

They rebooted it on PS2 but it was bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZn6Az_TMk

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

blunt posted:

Holy poo poo long-covid is terrifying.
UoL paper (non-peer reviewed) is here.

I wonder if any of this will get through to any of the "they count every death within 28 days after a test so if you get a positive test and then a piano drops on your head from a crane it's counted as a Covid death no don't ask me why there's suddenly thousands more Buster Keaton/Tom and Jerry deaths happening" people or if they're too far gone.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Guav, welcome to the provisional conditional discontinuous IRA, which I formed in my local Tesco carpark last night
I'll bring the rubber ducks.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

In my opinion it is bad when people who are not my enemies die, so we should be wary about relaxing restrictions until a significant majority of the population are vaccinated to control its spread (if the vaccine even does that).

90% efficacy after 2 doses is still a 10% chance of getting it, I wouldn't roll those dice if I were vulnerable.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Convex posted:

We already figured out the solution for that years ago, just send this guy in

I think he had a friend with a red outfit too?

In one of those weird coincidences* I was watching a Let's Play of the arcade version of NARC this morning, because YouTuber Justin Whang had put up a Stream of himself playing the game on the NES.
That game, NARC, not only has one of the maddest final bosses ever, but when you beat the game it says "thank you for completing the NARC training program. Now go enroll with your local DEA office."

The game was literally a recruiting tool for the drugs task force.

Also, fun fact, fellow Goons Slowbeef and Diabetus did a Let's Play of a very obvious NARC rip-off called Crimewave.
It was pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDvqdPq5vL0

* = The kind of weird coincidences that prove the existence of some sort of higher power or grand plan.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

thebardyspoon posted:

they are all shitehawks, op

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

The kids are going to be so disappointed when it mostly involves being racist and accepting bribes from the oligarchs rather than fighting a giant head.

crispix posted:

they are all shitehawks, op
:agreed:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I am not over 60 and not in line for a vaccine and as far as I'm concerned you can throw all the over 60s in a big blender cos I don't see why I should be put at risk just because they'll probably be fine.

They already get every loving thing else done for them I don't see why I should get sick for the useless pricks.

:qq: :qq:

A bit harsh there.

Many over 60s are not useless. Many still work, many are struggling financially because employers are so thick they don't think over 60s can 'learn new tricks' and there's a push on over 60s to quit work to make space for younger people, but also can't get their pensions for 7 years, but also have saved £16k so can't get universal credit either. And the fking tories think that women over 60 should get apprenticeships paying £3.45 an hour or whatever it is now (what employer is going to employ an over 60 as an apprentice?) Those that do have money are often supporting their own kids either housing them or paying/gifting home deposits, contributing to university fees etc.

Many do unpaid child care, elder care - if you're in your 60s your parents are likely in their 80s, charity work. Round here, most of the people doing the 'help your neighbour' stuff for the housebound, food bank staffing and donation collection and so forth are over 60.

I'm over 60 now and as far as I can tell I won't be on the list for a jab until April or May as I have no underlying health issues.

My mother's getting her first jab next week and myself and my sister have said to her that it doesn't mean she can let down her guard and must still use a mask and socially distance because just because you've had the vaccination doesn't mean you can't still be a carrier and also the query over the efficacy anyway at least until 2nd doses have been given.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Sounds like you've fallen for the capitalist mystification of intergenerational conflict, friend

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Borrovan posted:

In my opinion it is bad when people who are not my enemies die, so we should be wary about relaxing restrictions until a significant majority of the population are vaccinated to control its spread (if the vaccine even does that).

90% efficacy after 2 doses is still a 10% chance of getting it, I wouldn't roll those dice if I were vulnerable.

That's not quite what that means. It's a 10% chance of developing (any) symptoms if you do catch the virus. I don't have the stats but it is also thought to reduce the severity of any symptoms, possibly eliminating the chance of fatality or any longterm conditions (though again I don't have the stats for that)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1351508542675681281
Nate from trashfuture is now on his third consecutive day of having big-brained twitter lawyers try to work out if he's secretly Christian.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sounds like you've fallen for the capitalist mystification of intergenerational conflict, friend

Ah.... *inhales deeply*

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile:

Is anyone on here a charity trustee?

I've been asked to become a charity trustee for a small new charity with good aims being set up by a young relative who has inherited money from his mum who died a few years ago. I've looked over various documents, but what I really want to know in words of one syllable: what might I be in for in terms of liabilities? He has the other trustees in place and needs just one more before he can finalize whatever he needs to do.

I'm finding being chair of our residents' committee quite onerous and the thought that I might be liable for something else (though the charity will have trustee liability insurance) is not appealing. I don't want to let him down though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

Nate from trashfuture is now on his third consecutive day of having big-brained twitter lawyers try to work out if he's secretly Christian.
I can't be the only one that's getting a major "Spanish Inquisition searching for crypto-Jews pretending to be Catholic but in reverse" vibe from this whole shitpile.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

At the risk of getting into serious Bald territory - what's the comparable rate for people hospitalised with other pulmonary infections? These numbers are terrifying if they're for otherwise-healthy people, but if that's (as I suspect) fairly similar to the rates for people hospitalised by flu, then the Covid hospitalisation is just another signpost on the way down at the end of life. Grim and horrifying for the people involved, but a disease that shortens an individual's life expectancy from 87 to 86 is very different from one that shortens it from 87 to 77 (or 47) on a population level.

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder if any of this will get through to any of the "they count every death within 28 days after a test so if you get a positive test and then a piano drops on your head from a crane it's counted as a Covid death no don't ask me why there's suddenly thousands more Buster Keaton/Tom and Jerry deaths happening" people or if they're too far gone.

You're already seeing "Well death rates are still going up despite the vaccine!" and it's a very small jump from there to "Death rates are going up *because* of the vaccine", and I'm certain that'll be the next line they fall back to, along with explaining Long Covid deaths and damage. The Icke/Jones Fuckhead Pioneer Corps have already laid the groundwork for them and everything.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That's not quite what that means. It's a 10% chance of developing (any) symptoms if you do catch the virus. I don't have the stats but it is also thought to reduce the severity of any symptoms, possibly eliminating the chance of fatality or any longterm conditions (though again I don't have the stats for that)
From the trial they did, nobody who received the vaccine suffered from severe Covid symptoms, excluded cases caught in the first two weeks after the vaccine was given. It's not a 9 out of 10 chance of getting hospitalised if you've had the vaccine, after the second dose you're relatively safe from the virus for at least 6 -8 months (maybe longer? maybe forever? who knows, that time frame hasn't passed for us to check).

Excess deaths over the 5 year average is very similar to the death count within 28 days of diagnosis and the Covid on death certificate numbers, so I don't think we're likely to be over or undereporting covids deaths by a margin of error of more than 10%.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TomWTheSecond/status/1351521499501498369

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

At the risk of getting into serious Bald territory - what's the comparable rate for people hospitalised with other pulmonary infections? These numbers are terrifying if they're for otherwise-healthy people, but if that's (as I suspect) fairly similar to the rates for people hospitalised by flu, then the Covid hospitalisation is just another signpost on the way down at the end of life. Grim and horrifying for the people involved, but a disease that shortens an individual's life expectancy from 87 to 86 is very different from one that shortens it from 87 to 77 (or 47) on a population level.

You're already seeing "Well death rates are still going up despite the vaccine!" and it's a very small jump from there to "Death rates are going up *because* of the vaccine", and I'm certain that'll be the next line they fall back to, along with explaining Long Covid deaths and damage. The Icke/Jones Fuckhead Pioneer Corps have already laid the groundwork for them and everything.

Yeah I'm seeing that vaccine is killing people (Norway and another I can't remember) doing the rounds quite heavily on Facebook now.

Friend just 40 has long covid and she's been in and out of hospital for months now.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Miftan posted:

I'd be wary of drawing conclusions from that. 8200 is, I think, the largest unit in the IDF and has about a billion different roles people can do. Like most army units, a lot of them are really lame bookkeeping stuff. This guy probably isn't a super spy, and 5 years in the IDF is the standard draft + 1 officer term which is.. Really standard in Israel. Could have just written 'hired an Israeli'.

(Israeli Labour stuff)
This is really funny though, because the Israeli Labour party is so so poo poo it's amazing, and they've somehow gotten worse over the last couple of elections (which happened over the last 2 years)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he moved to the uk in october and instantly found work for the labour party lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

In one of those weird coincidences* I was watching a Let's Play of the arcade version of NARC this morning, because YouTuber Justin Whang had put up a Stream of himself playing the game on the NES.
That game, NARC, not only has one of the maddest final bosses ever, but when you beat the game it says "thank you for completing the NARC training program. Now go enroll with your local DEA office."

Also, fun fact, fellow Goons Slowbeef and Diabetus did a Let's Play of a very obvious NARC rip-off called Crimewave.
It was pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDvqdPq5vL0

* = The kind of weird coincidences that prove the existence of some sort of higher power or grand plan.

gently caress me, I played the poo poo outta crimewave when I was a kid.

My dad got a bootleg version with a photocopy of the manual so we could get into the game, only problem was one of the pages was incorrectly copied and was missing half the words. Every 10th load up was a bust.