Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Angry Salami posted:

Forget holodecks, does Bajor not have a nice beach they could visit? Is Risa really that much nicer that it's worth all cramming into a runabout for days to get there?

Risa is an entire planet dedicated to no strings attached sex in a tropical paradise.

Best case on Bajor is a drunken one night stand with a Bajoran with a 75% chance of getting stuck in long talk about the Prophets the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sash! posted:

Because it isn't real. They sort of ignore it after a while, but there's enough talk about the Holodeck not being a perfect recreation.

Like how Picard got all philosophical when he touched the Phoenix. He could go into a Holodeck and look and touch the Phoenix in there, but that's just a forcefield. It isn't the Phoenix.

People queue to see the Mona Lisa at a distance in a crowded room despite the fact you can get a high quality print of it for your own home that in a frame looks basically identical.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Angry Salami posted:

Forget holodecks, does Bajor not have a nice beach they could visit? Is Risa really that much nicer that it's worth all cramming into a runabout for days to get there?

People go to Risa because there are a bunch of people willing to gently caress and suck whoever goes there.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just got to the "the higher, the fewer" episode in my TNG watch and, hoo boy, that sure was an episode of Star Trek

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Page 2021 in 2021.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Gonz posted:

Page 2021 in 2021.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He's the real champ with all the corn syrup he had to drink on that show.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I want a series that has transporters that are only used for moving goods and people are horrified at the thought of actually using them for people since they fuckin kill you

8one6
May 20, 2012

Wheeee posted:

I want a series that has transporters that are only used for moving goods and people are horrified at the thought of actually using them for people since they fuckin kill you

that's bait.gif

This is a stupid debate every time it comes up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheeee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CWW8HX-vNU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
You'll have to read between the lines, but people are swapped out for demons when they use the transporter.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

8one6 posted:

that's bait.gif

This is a stupid debate every time it comes up.
What I wonder is if it independently originates from people seeing The Prestige or if it's in a Kevin Smith movie or what. I mean there's an episode where they show a character's perspective during transport; this is where your suspension of disbelief breaks down, and not on the hybrid of a human and a copper-blooded organism?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nessus posted:

What I wonder is if it independently originates from people seeing The Prestige or if it's in a Kevin Smith movie or what. I mean there's an episode where they show a character's perspective during transport; this is where your suspension of disbelief breaks down, and not on the hybrid of a human and a copper-blooded organism?

Well, there’s just about every single “The Science of Star Trek” type book from the late 90s, plus a tv special of the same name where Michio Kaku (iirc?) basically said outright “the transporter as shown is impossible, a real one would be a color xerox that kills the current you and makes a new one”, and a Breaking Bad scene where Badger and Skinny Pete say basically the same thing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just wait until these guys find out about the speeds warp travels at

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

loving lol if you think everyone gets the concept of continuity of consciousness from kevin smith movies, project harder

star trek would be better for embracing the star wars method of not even trying to explain their space magic

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wheeee posted:

loving lol if you think everyone gets the concept of continuity of consciousness from kevin smith movies, project harder

star trek would be better for embracing the star wars method of not even trying to explain their space magic
I'm posting in the classic star trek thread on Something Awful dot com, goon sir, I have no pride here. I agree with you it would have been better to not explain the device or to have used it as a problem solver during TNG as often as they did.

I wonder this because I know that sometimes certain ideas and things become kind of, the canonical explanation? Like at the risk of breaching the containment field: the conversation about the Star Wars prequels is in many cases really strongly informed by what was in Red Letter Media's reviews. These are not necessarily invalid views, but I have often seen lengthy conversations that boiled down to "I can't believe anybody would ever not agree with the RLM reviews!" "indeed." "indeed." "well i thought the podracing scenes were exci" "SHUT THE gently caress UP"

So like if there's some popular podcast where Episode 32 is about how frickin stupid the transporter is and how it obviously kills you, it would be neat to know that. Hell, I might even enjoy the podcast.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The real reason transporters work is because everyone is actually unknowingly trapped in holodecks and whenever they "transport" it's actually just the holodeck changing the locations while distracting the person being transported.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
They work because souls are real in Star Trek it's as simple as that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

HopperUK posted:

They work because souls are real in Star Trek it's as simple as that.

Unless you're a Talaxian.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

8one6 posted:

Unless you're a Talaxian.

this is bullshit, neelix deserves to spend eternity in hell

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Nessus posted:

It dates back to 1775 in an analogous form

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletransportation_paradox

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
dude its fine, I also blame Kevin Smith whenever someone has ideas I don't like

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Balance the equation!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Star Wars, famous for definitely not explaining its space magic ever.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Life creates a magic field that you can manipulate because some symbiotic relationship with another life form is barely an explanation of how the Force works.

No one knows how hyperdrives or shields work. Or how lightsaber works. Or repulsors. Or anything. They just do.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Wheeee posted:

This is more or less everyone's attitude in the first season of Enterprise

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Sash! posted:

Life creates a magic field that you can manipulate because some symbiotic relationship with another life form is barely an explanation of how the Force works.

No one knows how hyperdrives or shields work. Or how lightsaber works. Or repulsors. Or anything. They just do.

they work because they got buffed with voodoo hide

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Star Wars, famous for definitely not explaining its space magic ever.

Watching the two good Star Wars movies and then proceeding to read a (classic) Star Wars EU novel like Allegiance really hammers home the point of how Star Wars wasn't sci-fi before the prequels. It's remarkable how much superfluous technobabble you get in the novels, and how little there is in the movies.

Then you get to midichlorians and from there it's just bad half sci-fi.

Star Trek was always sci-fi, with all the pretence of science that entails.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

BonHair posted:

Star Trek is sci-fi in the same way that the Twilight Zone is sci-fi. Sure, you have spaceships and aliens and whatever, but it's not hard science fiction....Star Trek episodes are morality tales...how should you deal with racism? Should we interfere with a culture that's obviously going down a destructive path, or let them make their own mistakes? To what extent is our identity wrapped up with our job, and does increased mechanization/computerization threaten that? What would our society look like if we gave into our base impulses? What's the deal with all these hippies all of a sudden?

The science is incidental. You have faster than light travel and alien planets because it's a way to set up situations where the stories can happen. You have aliens who are almost human but have some special trait that highlights human vices or virtues, so we can explore that vice or virtue. You have site to site teleportation because the production is too cheap for special effects showing the ship landing.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Agreed on all points, except it's still covered in the trappings of science with vaguely plausible expansions. So I'd still call it soft sci-fi.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BonHair posted:

I don't really agree - the obsession with how the enterprise works and the development of technobabble was largely subsequent to TOS. There's very little of the actual mechanical stuff back then.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

BonHair posted:

Agreed on all points, except it's still covered in the trappings of science with vaguely plausible expansions. So I'd still call it soft sci-fi.

I still think of the time somebody asked a member of the Star Trek cast/crew how inertial dampeners worked, and got the answer "very well, actually".

This stuff was not really well thought out because they didn't care a lot. Its something the TOS writers guide actually stresses. It points out that "We want to be scientifically accurate, but our focus is on people and story, and that takes precedence.

quote:

Tell your story about people, not about science and gadgetry. Joe Friday doesn't stop to explain the mechanics of his .38 before he uses it; Kildare never did a monologue about the theory of anesthetics; Matt Dillon never identifies and discusses the breed of his horse before he rides off on it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BonHair posted:

Watching the two good Star Wars movies and then proceeding to read a (classic) Star Wars EU novel like Allegiance really hammers home the point of how Star Wars wasn't sci-fi before the prequels. It's remarkable how much superfluous technobabble you get in the novels, and how little there is in the movies.

Then you get to midichlorians and from there it's just bad half sci-fi.

There is technobabble in the movies, but it's kinda scant. It feels more like they're just using the specific terminology for their technology. C-3PO gives his "Human-Cyborg relations" spiel, and Uncle Owen shuts him down and says that he wants him to work with "moisture vaporators" and asks him if he can speak "bocce". A droid blows up and Luke complains about its "motivator". Later on you've got the Death Star briefing, and it's mostly in very understandable terminology, but they slip in that the exhaust port is "ray-shielded" and they'd have to use "proton torpedoes" and they get ordered to set their "shields to double-front."

Which I guess is very different from what Star Trek does where they use technobabble because they really want to convince you that there's some kind of coherent science to everything they do, because the fake-science technobabble routine is part of fantasizing about a future where some kind of fancy science underlies all these miracles, and it's part of the aesthetic appeal of the show. If you took your car to a Star Trek mechanic, they'd tell you "the explosive reaction by which your vehicle creates the energy to propel itself isn't being initiated because of the lack of stored energy in your vehicle's auxiliary electrical supply, and we may be able to recharge its reservoir, but it's possible the component itself has reached the end of its operational lifespan" while a Star Wars mechanic would say "You got a dead battery. Might be faulty. You want a jump, or you want we should replace the whole thing?" and then they'd mention some kind of brand names.

And then the Star Trek mechanic would offer to top off your headlight fluid for free because they both want you to like them and want a big buffer of time so that they don't have to work fast, while the Star Wars mechanic would just try to get your money, but you could either haggle or try to do the repair yourself assuming you can get the parts.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I demand that all science in science fiction stories to be 100% real, personally.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boxturret posted:

I demand that all science in science fiction stories to be 100% real, personally.

Welcome to the wonderful world of hard sci-fi.

I must admit I thought of TNG era Trek, not TOS, because I honestly never managed to get through the entire thing. It's just too dated for me. I should probably do a revisit of just the best ten episodes or something.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

BonHair posted:

I must admit I thought of TNG era Trek, not TOS, because I honestly never managed to get through the entire thing. It's just too dated for me. I should probably do a revisit of just the best ten episodes or something.

I'm kind of the other way around, I guess. I saw TOS before TNG went on the air, so for me, TOS is "real" Star Trek, and while I like TNG, it's not the first place my brain goes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BonHair posted:

The only difference between hard scifi and soft scifi is whether the technobabble involved can be looked up in a real scientific lexicon instead of the fictionpedia for the setting. If there's nothing actually speculative or extrapolative about it then it's not sci-fi at all, it's just a drama or thriller or whatever with contemporary (or past) scientific trappings.

This entire conversation is the domain of snobs and cliquery.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's not a hard definition but who cares because genres are made up things anyway. But to me sci-fi always has a "what if" element. Which also, 99% of the time, means dealing with humans and/or Earth.

Star Wars isn't about Earth and arguably may not even be about humans, so that's ultimately what puts it at the very edge of sci-fi and really more into fantasy for me.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just saw the DS9 james-bond-in-the-holodeck episode and that was a lot of BS technobabble even for trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I knew Roddenberry’s looting of the Trek film archive to sell it off with Lincoln Enterprises was bad, but until recently I didn’t know it was so bad that it’s one of the reasons TOS S3 had to use stock footage for all the Enterprise fx shots.

I mean come on, Gene. What an rear end.