Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

XMNN posted:

It is actually the first positive test

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

no indication whether they would start counting again on readmission, but they don't mention it and that would make the numbers go up so my guess would be no

Holy poo poo, that's just... mind boggling.

Surely there's a significant amount of the 'days since contracting virus to death' bell curve being cut off then, not even counting the readmissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
https://twitter.com/acidwomble/status/1351584323745558530?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Holy poo poo, that's just... mind boggling.

Surely there's a significant amount of the 'days since contracting virus to death' bell curve being cut off then, not even counting the readmissions.

Yeah, and that was a relatively early fiddle of the numbers, although an understandable one. Death certificates can take a week or more to process and even longer to percolate through to the ONS (deaths with covid on the certificate *is* a stat they track separately, FWIW) and 28 days after first test is as good a measure as any for a daily headline figure. While it does capture the Tom and Jerry deaths someone mentioned earlier, as long as people are continuing to lift pianos with damp twine at roughly the same rate, it's a defensible stat to use to track what way things are going (i.e. it doesn't actually matter if yesterday there were 1,600 or 1,700 deaths, it matters that that number is higher or lower than the number the day before).

Of course the real number is definitely higher even than the excess deaths over previous years one that most people take as the highest (scientifically justifiable) indicator, because there's basically no flu this winter (10k deaths in an average year) and colds and other respiratory infections are also way down. It could be that there's as many as 20k unreported covid deaths lurking in the stats - it's going to be impossible to tell until considerably after the fact when we can look and say "Well the population should be here, it's actually here" which is also imprecise.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ThomasPaine posted:

Granted, it doesn't help that it's cold and dark all the time, I'm unemployed, I can't go hang out and decompress with friends, and I'm drinking way too much to compensate, but this year has probably been the most difficult for me in a long time, and certainly the first where I've genuinely worried my mental health resilience might be reaching its limit. I'm holding it together, but it is hard sometimes.

Heya Bud. If you want to talk or just vent about it I am sure we are all here for that. Keep safe!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I have long been such a broken and anti-social bastard that covid has hardly changed my life at all tbh :slick:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
just more hand washing, really

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

don't even bother washing my hands, kill 'em all.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1351562546105503747?s=19

:lol:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Right after christmas too, how could that have happened?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Probably the hardest they’ve had to work to promote a massive tit

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i want keir to get his baps out :heysexy:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I want someone from the adult entertainment industry to lead the Labour Party.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

A vote for Seymour Butts is a vote for anarchy

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Keir gets in the back of his staff car

Driver: ello ello ello, long time no see you slaag

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/IrlEmbParis/status/1351556615665819648?s=20

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Why is the top right of Eire shaded out?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah it's still basically in the single market.

lmbo

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think I'm at all alone in saying this, but really fear of the virus itself is only a very small part of the trauma of this pandemic. Every death is a tragedy for those impacted and all that, but I know I'm not really very likely to be one of those as a 31 year old (though it is possible). What is really getting to me is the way it has exposed our whole country for the selfish, stupid, lazily arrogant and entitled place we've always known it to be, deep down. Not just the usual suspects either. It's the government mismanagement (who could have guessed putting a load of Eton chancers in charge of a country might lead to you being led by a bunch of lazy grifters?), it's the media silence/spin, it's the well to do blue tick liberals doing their performative outrage despite their direct complicity, yes it's dumbasses refusing to wear masks. I've never liked Britain, and there's always been that current of bile under the surface that I've been aware of, but I always kind of believed in this alienated but generally well-meaning majority. I'm not sure I do now. The mask has been ripped off and I've seen how the sausages are made and it's worse than I ever thought. I've lost more respect for this country in the last year than I thought possible, and that really is a hell of a bar. That's going to be the big thing. When all is said and done I will not be able to see people in the same way again. I hope that I'm not the only one, and this might radicalise people somewhat, but lol :britain:

Granted, it doesn't help that it's cold and dark all the time, I'm unemployed, I can't go hang out and decompress with friends, and I'm drinking way too much to compensate, but this year has probably been the most difficult for me in a long time, and certainly the first where I've genuinely worried my mental health resilience might be reaching its limit. I'm holding it together, but it is hard sometimes.

Anecdotal for sure, but this is a huge thing for me.

Between Britain loving everything up as much as possible due to not ever wanting to actually show any leadership whilst still and at the same time funneling tremendous wodges of money to their mates, and the only slight chance we had to stop it being burned by the world's most feckless client media, and the US undergoing the world's stupidest fascist coup (currently paused, sure, but I'm very dubious the Dems have the will, let alone the means, to make enough change to stop it restarting in 4 years), I'm really really struggling for motivation to do like... data entry.

Or really anything except instant gratification escapism like vidja and D&D.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

Yeah it's still basically in the single market.

lmbo

Good question: Not sure actually. Someone else pointed that out, too

https://twitter.com/sgautam206/status/1351570453261910016?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I want someone from the adult entertainment industry to lead the Labour Party.

putting Teresa May in charge and getting votes from confused gammons is probably the best chance they've got in the next GE

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This tweet is only moderately funny but made a bunch of centrists hilariously mad in the comments.

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1351220208036417536

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Does anyone have Corbyn's original quote on "kinder, gentler politics"? I want to know what the context was at the time, but all I can find is half a decade of journos bringing it up trying own left wingers for bullying them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I am not over 60 and not in line for a vaccine and as far as I'm concerned you can throw all the over 60s in a big blender cos I don't see why I should be put at risk just because they'll probably be fine.

They already get every loving thing else done for them I don't see why I should get sick for the useless pricks.

I’m surprised there wasn’t a stronger reaction to this post, which was actually pretty appalling. Talking about other groups in that way here wouldn’t be tolerated.

big scary monsters posted:

Does anyone have Corbyn's original quote on "kinder, gentler politics"? I want to know what the context was at the time, but all I can find is half a decade of journos bringing it up trying own left wingers for bullying them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-34392427

First result for “corbyn quote kinder gentler politics”

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

but also have saved £16k so can't get universal credit either.

Wait a second, do they stop you getting universal credit if you have savings?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yes.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

technically he never said 'gentler'

'kinder, gentler nation' as a phrase is due to George HW Bush

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

what the poo poo!

no wonder folk don't bother saving money

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

therattle posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-34392427

First result for “corbyn quote kinder gentler politics”

ronya posted:

technically he never said 'gentler'

'kinder, gentler nation' as a phrase is due to George HW Bush

Thank you both! :tipshat:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I don't think it's so much an "original quote" as a slogan back in 2015, before it turned out that if you try playing nice with pigfucker Dave's lot they'll just try to give you a wedgie & take your lunch money, so he instead reverted to just treating the Commons as a place where you get your soundbites out so you can circulate them on social media, same as everyone else does

You can probably find some stuff if you ask a wizard what the proper incantation is to limit search results to 2015-ish, though

E: beaten much more helpfully, & apparently wrong

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Labour hiring an IDF Shitpost decoder isn't as funny as them outsourcing campaigning.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1351543302017974274

to be fair the labour party absolutely needs reorganising and its clear the organisation needs some professionals brought in to actually be like what the gently caress is this organisation meant to do and how do any of your party processes accomplish that?

a large part of the last 5 years was massive organisational incompetence being blamed on corbyn
it seems like a complete shithouse in there

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

what the poo poo!

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to have a decent whack of savings, so since I got made redundant in 2019 I've just been melting through them while I guess being completely invisible to the government and not appearing on any unemployment statistics.

I guess when they run out I can enjoy the exciting world of documenting 35 hours a week of job-seeking activity for a pittance.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Can people not just take the money out of their bank account? Inadvisable as it would be to just have money sitting under your mattress this would bypass the restriction right?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There's a sliding scale between I think £6k or £8k when they start knocking your UC down and at £16k they stop it altogether.
And if you have a pension plan that you could tap into (currently over 55) they expect you to raid that too before you can get UC.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

therattle posted:

I’m surprised there wasn’t a stronger reaction to this post, which was actually pretty appalling. Talking about other groups in that way here wouldn’t be tolerated.

:agreed:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

to be fair the labour party absolutely needs reorganising and its clear the organisation needs some professionals brought in to actually be like what the gently caress is this organisation meant to do and how do any of your party processes accomplish that?

a large part of the last 5 years was massive organisational incompetence being blamed on corbyn
it seems like a complete shithouse in there

The administration (basic office functions) were appalling and in the basically anti-Corbyn Welsh labour under whatsisface before Drakeford, that absolutely could not be blamed on Corbyn.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
wow, I had no idea, I've been fortunate enough to have avoided being on unemployment benefit ever and i had it drummed into my head from a young age to look after my money

i'm not quite at the level where I wouldn't get any benefits but i'm certainly now questioning why i'm sitting in a freezing cold flat with a 40 year old boiler, dodgy central heating and a few spare thousand in the bank

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

Can people not just take the money out of their bank account? Inadvisable as it would be to just have money sitting under your mattress this would bypass the restriction right?

Ha. I have been tempted but if they catch on you're in poo poo (and you have to show bank statements for 6 months I think so you'd have to plan it well in advance).

The other thing, having had a bank account inaccessible for several weeks at one point, I determined never to have to depend on just one account ever again so I have 3 current accounts. I circulate the SAME bit of money round them each month by a cunning system of standing orders (this is to keep all the accounts alive and not ending up with money trapped in a dormant account as has happened to someone I know.)
I do not rate the intellectual abilities of the sort of people working at the DWP to be able to understand that*, and instead of the paltry £60pw income I am actually getting, they would somehow work out I'm getting £bn).

*Having signed on for a few weeks back in 1982 and encountered people who wrote along rulers, wouldn't let you fill out the forms yourself and misspelt just about every facet of my name and address, putting wrong dates on a form resulting in me getting no money for weeks and being taken to a tribunal WHICH I WAS NOT INFORMED ABOUT - and bless his cotton socks was only sorted when I got my (tory) MP on the case and funnily enough the file which I had been told had been lost every day for 4 weeks was remarkably found the day his letter arrived in their office.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 19, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

wow, I had no idea, I've been fortunate enough to have avoided being on unemployment benefit ever and i had it drummed into my head from a young age to look after my money

i'm not quite at the level where I wouldn't get any benefits but i'm certainly now questioning why i'm sitting in a freezing cold flat with a 40 year old boiler, dodgy central heating and a few spare thousand in the bank

Just wait til they bring in negative interest rates. It's a killer (one of my accounts is getting hit with that right now - it's not a standard savings account and I shouldn't complain because the interest rate in the before times was over 5% then fell to 0% and since mid November has been MINUS 2% PER MONTH which I think might be finishing in Feb but I'm not sure, they sent an email full of jargon that I didn't have the mental energy to decode just now.).

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ha. I have been tempted but if they catch on you're in poo poo (and you have to show bank statements for 6 months I think so you'd have to plan it well in advance).

The other thing, having had a bank account inaccessible for several weeks at one point, I determined never to have to depend on just one account ever again so I have 3 current accounts. I circulate the SAME bit of money round them each month by a cunning system of standing orders (this is to keep all the accounts alive and not ending up with money trapped in a dormant account as has happened to someone I know.)
I do not rate the intellectual abilities of the sort of people working at the DWP to be able to understand that*, and instead of the paltry £60pw income I am actually getting, they would somehow work out I'm getting £bn).

*Having signed on for a few weeks back in 1982 and encountered people who wrote along rulers, wouldn't let you fill out the forms yourself and misspelt just about every facet of my name and address, putting wrong dates on a form resulting in me getting no money for weeks and being taken to a tribunal WHICH I WAS NOT INFORMED ABOUT - and bless his cotton socks was only sorted when I got my (tory) MP on the case and funnily enough the file which I had been told had been lost every day for 4 weeks was remarkably found the day his letter arrived in their office.
What this system sounds bonkers. Why not just have your main account, and then a back up account with a fixed amount that maybe once a year you do something with.

I think your perception of the risk of a bank account being rendered inaccessible (what are the chances of such a rare event happening to you again?) or an account with money in it having something done to it for "lying dormant" (not a thing) is much higher than it actually is in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

JollyBoyJohn posted:

what the poo poo!

I don't understand why this is a surprise or shocking...?

Why would the government (and in particular this government) pay you an income if you already have money?