Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

tao of lmao posted:

My parents bought themselves a NES classic and have been telling me of their Mario 3 adventures. They haven’t made it past world 3 yet and leave the system on mid-run when they want to save their progress. Very adorable.

Very blessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
there wasn't really a rental market in Germany so all my games were bought used, which saddled me with not one but two garbage licensed Asterix&Obelix SNES games and no way to return them

I also deeply feel the Blast Corps pain because I actually wanted that and got it but the save file was fully beaten and I had no idea how to approach deleting it

I randomly remembered last year and used my by now grown google skills: you have to like hold start and push A B Z or whatever. cool idea by the devs to make the main menu sleek and stylish

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I remember my dad renting 1080 Snowboarding for me, which I thought was ok but I didn't really have any interest in the sport. Then I got out of bed in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and saw my dad sitting on the floor in front of the living room TV, playing 1080 Snowboarding with the sound off. He gave me a weird look and told me to go back to bed.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I rented Clayfighter multiple times and the theme song is burned into my brain, it was the first time I ever heard vocals in SNES music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scAK6mikkss

My dad told me Harvest Moon 64 "looked like a girl's game" and convinced me to buy this instead

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Nostradingus posted:

I remember my dad renting 1080 Snowboarding for me, which I thought was ok but I didn't really have any interest in the sport. Then I got out of bed in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and saw my dad sitting on the floor in front of the living room TV, playing 1080 Snowboarding with the sound off. He gave me a weird look and told me to go back to bed.

Sounds like a cool dad imo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

This was my main birthday gift one year

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

NienNunb posted:

owned

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

NienNunb posted:

watching some gameplay now it looks badass just like i remember the tv show

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

NienNunb posted:

reminded me that i got this for my 10th birthday

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

It's probably already been roasted but

fukkin warren

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

NienNunb posted:

you just reminded me my mom bought me this

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

i think my ma only let me rent a game one time and i picked Onimusha 2 :negative: then i got stuck on a really early part like 30 minutes where you were supposed to switch weapons to get through a gate and i could figure it out. so all the weekend was wasted until i begged my ma to let me use the dial up on sunday afternoon to slowly load cheatplanet.com and find out what to do

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

elf help book posted:

you just reminded me my mom bought me this

i feel like there was a real trend for a while in people making paintball games which is baffling to me

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

My worst one was probably Mario is Missing.

I asked for that for my birthday because I was a dumbass kid who thought it was a regular mario even though my dad told me that he didn't think it was

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

trying to jack off posted:

i feel like there was a real trend for a while in people making paintball games which is baffling to me

i know activision would put out hunting games the exact same day theyd put out new call of dutys as some kind of parent alternative and i think this was the exact same plan

family friendly first person shooter with the bare minimum of thought put in

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Use the power of laughter by pelting your friends with balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15_IJ3rAOY&t=1084s

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Inept posted:

I asked for that for my birthday because I was a dumbass kid who thought it was a regular mario even though my dad told me that he didn't think it was

i owned mario is missing for snes and played it a lot as a kid because the music is really good

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

mycophobia posted:

i owned mario is missing for snes and played it a lot as a kid because the music is really good

i had it for pc but i never played it because you had to launch it from dos and i was terrified that i'd mess up something and get a SYNTAX ERROR which meant the computer was broken for good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
seem to recall some drat bugs bunny game being one that got rented multiple times

i had such an eclectic collection of NES games. never had zelda or metroid or tetris or dr mario, but did have stuff like galaxy 5000 or star wars or felix the cat.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

i know activision would put out hunting games the exact same day theyd put out new call of dutys as some kind of parent alternative and i think this was the exact same plan

family friendly first person shooter with the bare minimum of thought put in

We had a cablea's branded one for wii that was shockingly good for a light gun shooter. And a nerf branded game that I cant remember much of, except that my dad the epic gamer enjoyed it also. Come to think of it I don't think he bought a single game for that Wii outside of that genre.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

nene. posted:

i was ALWAYS in control of my rentles and i still managed to rent face ball, doe sthis shockyou

me too actually iw as just playing along with the thread. im sorry. i love my mom and dad

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

i had it for pc but i never played it because you had to launch it from dos and i was terrified that i'd mess up something and get a SYNTAX ERROR which meant the computer was broken for good

that sort of thing doesn't happen unless you deleted command.com and rebooted the computer, just to see what happened, which I did as a kid

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
I remember renting Quest 64 and never making it to the second town because the camera was so bad that you would get into a fight, and then when you beat it you would be facing the opposite direction, and by the time you turned around you would inevitably get into another fight.

Unfortunately it has such a generic name and box art I ended up renting it again a few months later because I didn't realize it was that game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jaxts posted:

I remember renting Quest 64 and never making it to the second town because the camera was so bad that you would get into a fight, and then when you beat it you would be facing the opposite direction, and by the time you turned around you would inevitably get into another fight.

Unfortunately it has such a generic name and box art I ended up renting it again a few months later because I didn't realize it was that game.

actually when you finish a fighyt you always face the same direction as you did when you started it regardless of where you were on the battlefield

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

not to detract from how lovely quest 64 is but that one thing isnt actually as bad as you think, the game's bad because of bad enemy, level, encounter, spell, and system design, not navigation

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seem to recall some drat bugs bunny game being one that got rented multiple times

i had such an eclectic collection of NES games. never had zelda or metroid or tetris or dr mario, but did have stuff like galaxy 5000 or star wars or felix the cat.

was it the one where you're looking for an exit dodging sylvesters?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

NienNunb posted:

These guys are my neighbors

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
we rented ristar and got to an impossible boss that was indecipherable in the fire world that no matter what you did would completely destroy you with a lava attack. we couldnt figure out how to beat him and eventually we had to return it.

fast forward several years, playing ristar in an emulator and turns out its a simon miniboss and each time you gently caress up you take half a heart of damage and after 6 steps its over

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fungah! posted:

actually when you finish a fighyt you always face the same direction as you did when you started it regardless of where you were on the battlefield

thank you

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

*guy who turns 180 after every fight* gently caress why does this game take so long

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008

Fungah! posted:

This is actually really blowing my mind because my only memories of that game as a kid were somehow always getting turned around and walking back into the starting area.

I mean, I managed to rent that garbage twice so there was obviously something wrong with me either way.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
My dad and I didn’t always have the best relationship, especially when I was a younger kid...but one time he came home from work with a rented copy of Extreme-G for me in his briefcase as a surprise. Not a dog poo poo game by any means but not exactly a classic either, but I remember I played it all weekend and had fun. It’s a pleasant memory I have of him. Nice one dad 👍

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

*guy who turns 180 after every fight* gently caress why does this game take so long

this is like when we rented super mario rpg, skipped toad's timed hits tutorial, and wondered why the axem rangers were so hard.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it sounds like "games you thought were hard but it turned out you were just stupid" could be its own thread

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cubone posted:

it sounds like "games you thought were hard but it turned out you were just stupid" could be its own thread

roach coach
Feb 24, 2013

Martman posted:

did James Pond exist outside of rentals? Was it actually good like I imagined as a kid or lovely like it must have actually been

the first one was garbage but James Pond 2: Robocod ...... was loving amazing

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

roach coach posted:

the first one was garbage but James Pond 2: Robocod ...... was loving amazing

ah yeah dude, this certainly kicks rear end. lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPm3AqBkPg4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roach coach
Feb 24, 2013

trying to jack off posted:

ah yeah dude, this certainly kicks rear end. lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPm3AqBkPg4

first, should be the superior Amiga version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx0KxbL0S2I

secondly 1991 was poo poo for video games apart from Sonic, Zelda, Monkey Island 2, Street Fighter 2, Duke Nukem, Out Of This World, Streets Of Rage, Final Fantasy IV, Wing Commander 2, Leisure Suit Larry, Civ, Indiana Jones, Lemmings, Batman, Metroid 2, Speedball 2, Turrican 2 okay fine yeah I see your point