Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Or you could smack your genitals with a ball peen hammer, which is probably about as productive :shrug:

Finally, I understand why it's called a ball-peen hammer.

e: best snipe of my life,

On this day in 1841 China ceded Hong Kong to the British during the 1st Opium War

Miftan fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

BalloonFish posted:

It may be related to a tendency/archetype/aesthetic (if any of those are right term) which I notice particularly strongly at the moment with Laurence Fox (who of course is currently grifting hard as an anti-masker) but can be found all over a certain sort of right-wing-ery. Fox's statment on QT that set him off down his current road was "we're the most tolerant lovely country in Europe". His twitter is full of exhortations for people to "love, kiss and hug those close to you" and "every moment and every life is precious" and fear of not being able to see people's mouths behind their masks because "we're social animals" and being distraught at seeing "muzzled people with fearful eyes" when he goes to the shops.

Now, it's partly because Fox is a special sort of stupid, but he's not alone in using this sort of simpering twee, lovey-dovey style as a face for the usual right-wing poo poo. It's seems related to the usual thing that the right are 'optimistic' ("We Luv Boris And His Optimism!!!!!") because they tend to just say that everything is inherently wonderful and 100% wonderfulness is only being prevented by [insert otherised group here] while the left. Fox and his ilk use it to deflect by claiming that they just want everyone to get along and love each other as people (by which he means no one ever mentioning the existence of racism or other -isms unless it's the sort suffered by white straight men).

It's a bit like what I would probably end up calling the 'Bake-Off Aesthetic' which crept into a lot of media during the Coalition years and around the Olympics - a sort of 1950s idealised Midsomer Women's Institute look. All pastel shades, bunting, crochetwork Union Jacks, naive art of farmyard animals, Cornishware plates, brightly-coloured GPO phones, classic Minis with Union Jacks on the roof and wicker hampers in the boot and 'Keep Calm And Carry On' posters. Everything's sunny, bright, clean and 'nice'. Lovely, in fact And of course it's related to being 'patriotic' (but only the right sort of patriotism...) and loving Britain and British Values.

It's a sort of nostalgic denial of anything being wrong. Escapist. And maybe, in some contexts, slightly fashy in its use of an idealised past majoring on the appearance and style without considering what is missing from the apparent idyll.

I know that's a disjointed mess of a post, and I think I may have just called GBBO fascist propaganda - which I don't for a moment think it is! - but it's just something I've noticed.

I don't have the photoshop skills to do it but imagine there's an picture of the Auschwitz gate here with the 'Arbeit Macht Frei' sign changed to 'Live Laugh Love'

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 20, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

BalloonFish posted:

and being distraught at seeing "muzzled people with fearful eyes" when he goes to the shops.
I would put money on the fear in those eyes being from "Aw gently caress, not that oval office. I'm going to be stuck here getting ranted at for an hour now."

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

BalloonFish posted:

It may be related to a tendency/archetype/aesthetic (if any of those are right term) which I notice particularly strongly at the moment with Laurence Fox (who of course is currently grifting hard as an anti-masker) but can be found all over a certain sort of right-wing-ery. Fox's statment on QT that set him off down his current road was "we're the most tolerant lovely country in Europe". His twitter is full of exhortations for people to "love, kiss and hug those close to you" and "every moment and every life is precious" and fear of not being able to see people's mouths behind their masks because "we're social animals" and being distraught at seeing "muzzled people with fearful eyes" when he goes to the shops.

Now, it's partly because Fox is a special sort of stupid, but he's not alone in using this sort of simpering twee, lovey-dovey style as a face for the usual right-wing poo poo. It's seems related to the usual thing that the right are 'optimistic' ("We Luv Boris And His Optimism!!!!!") because they tend to just say that everything is inherently wonderful and 100% wonderfulness is only being prevented by [insert otherised group here] while the left. Fox and his ilk use it to deflect by claiming that they just want everyone to get along and love each other as people (by which he means no one ever mentioning the existence of racism or other -isms unless it's the sort suffered by white straight men).

It's a bit like what I would probably end up calling the 'Bake-Off Aesthetic' which crept into a lot of media during the Coalition years and around the Olympics - a sort of 1950s idealised Midsomer Women's Institute look. All pastel shades, bunting, crochetwork Union Jacks, naive art of farmyard animals, Cornishware plates, brightly-coloured GPO phones, classic Minis with Union Jacks on the roof and wicker hampers in the boot and 'Keep Calm And Carry On' posters. Everything's sunny, bright, clean and 'nice'. Lovely, in fact And of course it's related to being 'patriotic' (but only the right sort of patriotism...) and loving Britain and British Values.

It's a sort of nostalgic denial of anything being wrong. Escapist. And maybe, in some contexts, slightly fashy in its use of an idealised past majoring on the appearance and style without considering what is missing from the apparent idyll.

I know that's a disjointed mess of a post, and I think I may have just called GBBO fascist propaganda - which I don't for a moment think it is! - but it's just something I've noticed.

This is extremely the thing I was trying to pin down. Forced optimism, but not in the sense of "we can make things better", but rather "things are fine, or they would be if you lot would stop moaning". Is extremely friendly to the neighbours, but also probably hates the neighbours. Feeling deep down that better things aren't possible, so living as if they aren't necessary.

It all gives me the creeps.

They kind of have it here in NL - doe normaal. But they're more...honest about it. And less twee.

And the muzzle thing. Muzzles are literally to prevent biting (which shouldn't be applicable), and metaphorically to silence someone (which isn't happening - I know the same people love to shout "I have been silenced", but masks don't do that). So it's a very odd way to describe them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

These guys really are staring confused at a magic eye drawing we all worked out years ago aren't they

I don't believe that they don't see it, I think 99% of them do but would prefer to double down than admit their own complicity

https://twitter.com/nicolelampert/status/1351836411603910656?s=19

So close to asking "What is it that this poundshop fascist found in himself to help modern Israel" before absolutely cartwheeling away from the difficult questions to go "Huh it's a funny old world innit?"

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I've noticed it too, a strange sort of insistence for optimism no matter what and people who are usually the type to have maybe shook their dad's hand once are suddenly energised with wanting to hug and kiss everyone around them.

I've also noticed, in my more peripheral friends, a sudden focus on absolutely ridiculous goals - from someone selling their house so they can live in a van to another friend wanting to climb Mount Everest before the years out (with no climbing experience whatsoever) - its as if being in lockdown for a little bit has had a massive effect on people so that this year they are driven towards ludicrous plans and life-changing decisions because 'that's what this years all about'

That in itself pisses me off as there's plenty of people who, for a number of reasons, can't leave the house much or have access to different buildings or opportunities to meet with people they know on a normal year. But you stop someone from going to Wetherspoons for a few fridays in a row and they act as if this is the worst thing to ever happen to them

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
If we’re lucky it’s global hysteria. If we’re not it’s global mental health crisis and deep psychological trauma.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/oscarhy125/status/1351637077683810310

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

If we’re lucky it’s global hysteria. If we’re not it’s global mental health crisis and deep psychological trauma.

For a lot of people even into late middle age this will have been the first time they've contemplated their own mortality, and with many of the ways which they would normally drown out that thought also removed, it's not surprising a lot of people are suddenly doing odd things.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Looking forward to the entire country having a mid-life crisis all at the same time, tbh

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thus creating a group of people who need medical attention but can't clap for the NHS.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kecske posted:

I'll take a guess that it was the barbican estate

That reminds me a lot of the place where they filmed the Caprica City scenes for BSG :psylon:

https://www.sadgeezer.com/wp-content/uploads/Legacy/gallery/BSG/ep001/riverwalk.JPG

it's somewhere in canada that's been used to film a bunch of sci-fi stuff iirc

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Having a discussion on another forum about Starmer and trans rights and someone who was full-on Corbyn antisemitism came out with "He hasn't done anything whatsoever to suggest that he's going to sweep trans issues under the carpet. You're just fermenting fear, which is pretty lovely considering how much fear trans people live under in the first place."

I feel like I'm having a stroke.

https://twitter.com/mediocredave/status/1351582723132059650?s=21

Article link in the comments, although it is paywalled.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And unless Twitter is being selective in showing me the replies to that tweet, the only one who gets to use a swear word (gently caress) in that thread is herself.

Meanwhile, in other news:

What the gently caress? Defences, borders? Yes important in wider context, but this is totally designed to appeal to those of the gammonati who personally fought in the trenches of WW1 and the beaches of WW2.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1351887061851242499?s=20

its pretty funny seeing labour do low effort fascist propaganda and getting 300 likes

mind you the real battlefield has never been twitter

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

BalloonFish posted:

poo poo i know a prophetic post when i see one
we're gonna be seeing a lot of the bake-off aesthetic in the years to come.

in reality things will just be getting worse and drearier but our national aesthetic is gonna become unbearably twee

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

justcola posted:

I've noticed it too, a strange sort of insistence for optimism no matter what and people who are usually the type to have maybe shook their dad's hand once are suddenly energised with wanting to hug and kiss everyone around them.

I've also noticed, in my more peripheral friends, a sudden focus on absolutely ridiculous goals - from someone selling their house so they can live in a van to another friend wanting to climb Mount Everest before the years out (with no climbing experience whatsoever) - its as if being in lockdown for a little bit has had a massive effect on people so that this year they are driven towards ludicrous plans and life-changing decisions because 'that's what this years all about'

That in itself pisses me off as there's plenty of people who, for a number of reasons, can't leave the house much or have access to different buildings or opportunities to meet with people they know on a normal year. But you stop someone from going to Wetherspoons for a few fridays in a row and they act as if this is the worst thing to ever happen to them

A few years ago, I watched this documentary about Brexit. The focus on the show was getting people Pro-Leave and Pro-Remain, putting them together in a room and trying to work out why they voted the way they did.

The thing that always stuck with me was at the end they had gotten the people into two groups, to try and just talk out their feelings. And the Pro-Remain groups thing was "Can't you see how this is going to screw us all over. What have you done?"
While the Pro-Leave group was "look it's done now. Let's all just work together so we can get the best Brexit possible."

And what I took from it was one group was in shock because they saw what was going to happen in the future and all the ramification of same.
While the other group was just focusing on how happy they were now, and how we all need to ignore thinking too hard about what will happen and instead just mouth empty platitudes and live in denail.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Also, "twee" is a great word to describe a wide concept, and if it didn't exist, we'd have to invent it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/mediocredave/status/1351582723132059650?s=21

Article link in the comments, although it is paywalled.

Yeah, mentioning that article this morning is how it all started.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Communist Thoughts posted:

in reality things will just be getting worse and drearier but our national aesthetic is gonna become unbearably twee

:golfclap: BUILD :golfclap: MORE :golfclap: UNION :golfclap: JACK :golfclap: IRON :golfclap: LUNGS

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

crispix posted:

That reminds me a lot of the place where they filmed the Caprica City scenes for BSG :psylon:

https://www.sadgeezer.com/wp-content/uploads/Legacy/gallery/BSG/ep001/riverwalk.JPG

Almost certainly Vancouver, there's so, so much sci-fi filmed there. (no easily recognisable US landmarks, good currency conversion, and a large group of people and studios used to working on sci-fi filming).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

crispix posted:

It's Simon Fraser University.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I liked Vancouver but I seriously wish North American cities had better public transport.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Death camps full of refugees but it's fine because the bodies all have doilies on them.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

justcola posted:

I've noticed it too, a strange sort of insistence for optimism no matter what

It's just "Your problems don't matter", with a side dish of "But I wanna". They don't insist on cheery denial when castigating 'cancel culture'. Only when they're asked to think about the situation of others, or the consequences of getting their own way.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/redflareinfo/status/1351898352401723395?s=19

Lol imagine lowering yourself to do LBC with their fattest racist and they bring on a Nazi to ambush you.

Edit: the piece

https://twitter.com/12rulesforwhat/status/1351916091258372098?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

its just rallying round the flag in a time of crisis, its a human thing

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Total Meatlove posted:

If you fill the sides of that hole with timber-imprinted concrete first a man from the Brutalist society comes and gives you a sticker

Neoclassicist, brutalist and soviet architecture makes up a large majority of buildings in the Czech Republic where I'm from.

It does look like garbage.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 20, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Ugh, Red Flare. Not to say any of that is false, but just so people are aware, they (and one half of the 12 Rules podcast) are the same people in London Anti-Fascists. I could go into why they're incredibly poo poo but I'll just drop this: https://medium.com/@gracegreen_161/london-activist-left-its-time-to-stop-covering-for-abusers-8b782c186d52

I can verify everything in that article so if you trust me then I guess trust that article. Some of their members are alright and have been manipulated into thinking it's all bollocks but their long-time crew have a long and storied history of abuse, manipulation and grooming. It kills me that their newest op is getting so much attention (they're very well connected in the UK left) while up-start projects like the Antifascist Research Collective are largely ignored.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If I waited for reputable news sources in the UK I'd still be unaware of COVID.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

If I waited for reputable news sources in the UK I'd still be unaware of COVID.

By all means, I don't doubt the integrity of their journalistic work. Just think it's important for us on the left to actually try and hold those who abuse their positions to account, especially in our own movements. The sheer amount of 'yes but they're our friends and they said it's fine' that was encountered in trying to advocate for survivors of people is part of what made me leave London and the radical leftist scene there.

Also over 1800 new deaths today. Remember when we were afraid it might creep back over 1000 again?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bernie has shown solidarity with Corbyn by wearing a grey parka to the inauguration.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jakabite posted:

By all means, I don't doubt the integrity of their journalistic work. Just think it's important for us on the left to actually try and hold those who abuse their positions to account, especially in our own movements. The sheer amount of 'yes but they're our friends and they said it's fine' that was encountered in trying to advocate for survivors of people is part of what made me leave London and the radical leftist scene there.

Also over 1800 new deaths today. Remember when we were afraid it might creep back over 1000 again?

1800+. Merry Christmas!

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Which feeds in well, I think, to the idea that I heard a while ago that we live in a world of inherently capitalist technology, as in our technological solutions to problems and the way our society has formed around them and which ones have spread, are ones that rely excessively on centralization of power and which people are unable to effectively maintain in a decentralized fashion.

Which is efficient, when it works, but inherently carries the issue of being subject to disruption at the whims of the central authority.

I think kind of the opposite; under capitalism as many things as possible are distributed and individualized, even at cost of efficiency. The fully mature capitalist house has to own power supply (probably solar) that charges an electric off road vehicle (or, ideally, flying car).

If total cost is say 10x that of a system of city apartments with centralized (probably nuclear) power and electric trains, then that is 10 times more money to be made building and selling those things.

Which is actually fine if everyone is rich enough to live that way. But then you are not talking about capitalism any more...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1351936272034656257?s=19

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

radmonger posted:

I think kind of the opposite; under capitalism as many things as possible are distributed and individualized, even at cost of efficiency. The fully mature capitalist house has to own power supply (probably solar) that charges an electric off road vehicle (or, ideally, flying car).

If total cost is say 10x that of a system of city apartments with centralized (probably nuclear) power and electric trains, then that is 10 times more money to be made building and selling those things.

Which is actually fine if everyone is rich enough to live that way. But then you are not talking about capitalism any more...

I agree, and it also feeds into the "if it breaks" chat. Ideally the communal system would be built well enough not to break often, and would get fixed swiftly if it does. In reality it would go to Serco Heating (est. yesterday) and be a huge pain, encouraging people to individualise and take responsibility for their own heating (healthcare, education, BINS, ....)

I'd love to not have my own heating and hot water machinery. Capitalism is why we can't have nice things :(

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
My faith in humanity has been shaken to the point where i'm suspecting most of the people losing their parents/grandparents to covid are not just uncaring, but actually relieved. It's the only way to explain the utter lack of concern by society.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

My faith in humanity has been shaken to the point where i'm suspecting most of the people losing their parents/grandparents to covid are not just uncaring, but actually relieved. It's the only way to explain the utter lack of concern by society.

Not only are the deaths not being covered properly, the grief isn't ether. And if we did get a grieving father tearing down the Tories we'd find out how and when he voted Labour before it was ever put to a single tory.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Glad that other people recognise the same sort of thing and it's not just me developing a psychosis about John Lewis cake tins or something!

Yeah, I think you're right. I didn't even touch on how it ties into the ramping up of our national WW2 fetish which has got completely out of control in the past 10 years or so. We've already seen government and media trying to adopt the trappings of the Blitz Spirit for the pandemic and the Dunkirk Spirit for Brexit (without wanting to bother with any of the effort, expense, policies or decisions that actually drove those things, of course) and that's only going to get worse as they try and both cover up how everthing's just become a bit shittier all-round for nearly everyone and try and twee their way out of it.

And it's all going to be completely empty, because the past decade has been spent hollowing out what's left of Britain as a society and a nation (perhaps that's why there's been such a push to the aesthetic side of things, since everything material and tangiable has been destroyed or sold?) so we'll be bombarded with exhortations to engage with, and suffer for, something that doesn't exist and that the same people pushing that message don't actually want to exist.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gonzo McFee posted:

And if we did get a grieving father tearing down the Tories we'd find out how and when he voted Labour before it was ever put to a single tory.
Pfft, why should anyone listen to that grieving father, he's obviously biased against the Tories

They killed his child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

Yeah, I think you're right. I didn't even touch on how it ties into the ramping up of our national WW2 fetish which has got completely out of control in the past 10 years or so. We've already seen government and media trying to adopt the trappings of the Blitz Spirit for the pandemic and the Dunkirk Spirit for Brexit (without wanting to bother with any of the effort, expense, policies or decisions that actually drove those things, of course) and that's only going to get worse as they try and both cover up how everthing's just become a bit shittier all-round for nearly everyone and try and twee their way out of it.

And it's all going to be completely empty, because the past decade has been spent hollowing out what's left of Britain as a society and a nation (perhaps that's why there's been such a push to the aesthetic side of things, since everything material and tangiable has been destroyed or sold?) so we'll be bombarded with exhortations to engage with, and suffer for, something that doesn't exist and that the same people pushing that message don't actually want to exist.
This but for current affairs as well as history.