Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Glutes Are Great posted:

Hey tg leperflesh reminded me to post here, so uhm how's it hanging with you guys

I made the Imp Zone TRPG thread today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Glutes Are Great posted:

Hey tg leperflesh reminded me to post here, so uhm how's it hanging with you guys

hell o welcome and chat

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

aldantefax posted:

hell o welcome and chat

lurkers must post

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Glutes Are Great posted:

You won't believe what the forums software let's happen, I mean, we are lucky that this year when updating the copyright date the site didn't go down for another three days

Anyways I play a lot of board games and love shadowrun and other games and uhm let's see, recently we've played gloomhaven to test it out
I sometimes wonder if the load bearing slurs ever got fixed

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Glutes Are Great posted:

I'm more of a classic player, but I kinda like it, too. Like, I've been running groups on shadowrun for, uhh, I dunno 8 years now or something and hardly ever considered switching to anarchy. I did a couple of rounds to test it out, but never really got into it. I'm mainly just a nerd it seems

Which edition of Shadowrun do you folks play?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Splicer posted:

I sometimes wonder if the load bearing slurs ever got fixed

Jeffrey did some pruning and cleaning but I'm quite certain there are some hidden time bombs by radium queued up somewhere

LeSquide posted:

Which edition of Shadowrun do you folks play?

We currently play 5th edition but in the meta plot of the 6th edition and with the new scenarios and stuff. I wanted to get my group to give 6th edition a try in general but the rules and mechanics seem so ridiculously broken that they wanted to stick with 5 for now, which I can understand.
Either way, since I speak German I exclusively get the German publications by pegasus press which are vastly superior to the pile of junk glued together by CGL, also they release German exclusive content (that's also canon, just not translated into English) that by now has outnumbered the original CGL work, so I'm cool with this arrangement. I do secretly still hope that someone finds a list of house rules to make 6th playable, or that Pegasus comes up with more rules changes to do so. They have already begun the journey of fixing the original CGL mess in a few minor rules and I hope they continue with the next upcoming releases.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Shadowrun being an IP held by a company that seems dedicated to making each iteration of the tabletop RPG a more embarrassing travesty, while greedily loving over people they contract to write for it and a small, passionate foreign translation company is the only thing producing anything of quality is by far one of the funniest and most #iconic examples of the dire state of tabletop games today.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The art form is in a Golden Age, the market is in a Dark Age like it is for everything else.

How many not-Shadowrun games are out there? I skimmed Lowlife 2090 recently and wasn't impressed. There's a free Forged in the Dark homebrew called Runners in the Shadows, and a free Sprawl homebrew called Shadowrun in The Sprawl.

I'm sure there's a spate of Cyberpunk D&D games out there, but most aren't obvious homages to Shadowrun.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I got my odyssey of the dragonlords Kickstarter delivered like 2 years after I pledged and was reading it the past few days. It's pretty good, maybe I'll run a discord/roll20 game.

https://www.modiphius.net/collections/odyssey-of-the-dragonlords

Anybody tried this?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Halloween Jack posted:

The art form is in a Golden Age, the market is in a Dark Age like it is for everything else.

How many not-Shadowrun games are out there? I skimmed Lowlife 2090 recently and wasn't impressed. There's a free Forged in the Dark homebrew called Runners in the Shadows, and a free Sprawl homebrew called Shadowrun in The Sprawl.

I'm sure there's a spate of Cyberpunk D&D games out there, but most aren't obvious homages to Shadowrun.

there's Hard Wired Island too.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Mustache Ride posted:

I got my odyssey of the dragonlords Kickstarter delivered like 2 years after I pledged and was reading it the past few days. It's pretty good, maybe I'll run a discord/roll20 game.

https://www.modiphius.net/collections/odyssey-of-the-dragonlords

Anybody tried this?

Not I, but this looks like Modiphius having a go at a Greek mythos inspired 5e D&D setting?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Leraika posted:

there's Hard Wired Island too.

HWI isn't trying to be Shadowrun though.

Off the top of my head there's Karma in the Dark too, though it may have been renamed. Someone was also working on a Genesys version. There will likely be a CPRED hack.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Are any of them good?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

They're Shadowrun projects made on an even lower budget with even less professional work. Consider what Catalyst manages to pull off already. What do you think? No, they're not good, pretty much as a rule. The Blades hacks miss the mark pretty hard and the Genesys one was never finished as far as I know.

Genesys can work pretty well if you like Genesys, but that's just gluing together existing content from Beanstalk and Terrinoth. I have yet to find an "original" Shadowrun copycat that's not worse than 5e. (Most of them are better than 6e by virtue of actually functioning as games, but that's stepping over a buried bar with how low it's set.) The unfortunate answer is "just give up on the fantasy aspects and your pool of good games instantly widens".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't seen a satisfactory attempt to do cyberpunk within a D&D variant ruleset. I wish I had, because then it would be fairly easy to patch in magic rules from some other D&D variant.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I maintain that there is at least one system that could make cyberpunk and fantasy crossover work with an actually compelling magic system & pretty even gameplay balance between roles, while leaving plenty of room to encourage a better style of game/campaign structure through optional mechanics.
GURPS
That aside, and on that thought: not Shadowrun, but I'd really like to see a Red Markets cyberpunk conversion. Already very suited to it. (Yes, my F&F is still on hold, combo of waiting for the old thread to actually get all its posts including mine saved & attempting to navigate ongoing IRL issues that are interfering. I'll continue eventually.)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I made a thread for Wicked Ones, because the old Blades thread seemed dead and hell I love the game so :justpost:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Just have all your vampires wear mirrorshades and all the mages duct tape cellphones to their heads and WOD is now a credible cyberpunk. Throw in the word "neon" a few times per session and I think it's pretty much complete.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tulip posted:

Just have all your vampires wear mirrorshades and all the mages duct tape cellphones to their heads and WOD is now a credible cyberpunk. Throw in the word "neon" a few times per session and I think it's pretty much complete.

To echo the Shadowrun thread at you:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Well, there's clearly a market demand for not-Shadowrun. Time to whip something up in Cortex.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SkyeAuroline posted:

To echo the Shadowrun thread at you:

That's p good.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
NWoD is more punk than Shadowrun has been for an extremely long time, though?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Shadowrun hasn't been punk for multiple editions at least, so I can't say that's a terribly high bar. I don't have familiarity with every game line of NWoD, my interest lies entirely in Demon and Promethean, but the big three really don't strike me as anywhere close to it either. Maybe Vampire, though old Vamp seemed to lean into it more than new.

e: that's not totally fair, 5th had a side chapter of optional rules in one supplement to kinda sorta incentivize not just playing a group of sellouts, so the bar isn't underground yet

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 20, 2021

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I think the last Shadowrun I played/ran was 3e. Is that too far away from the original cyberpunk...ing? That was the start of the Wizkids era.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think the biggest changes from edition to edition were 3rd to 4th, which eliminated the Pools mechanic and overhauled how the Matrix worked, bringing AR into the setting. From what I remember, the changes from 2nd to 3rd were mostly balance changes. Knowledge skills became a separate category (because no player is going to spend skill points on Elven Wine Connoisseurship when those points can go to Pistols), weapon skills were broken up, and Wired Reflexes no longer let you take your actions all at once.

I've heard that 5th was a grognard edition that brought cyberdecks back, but I don't know.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

As a fellow "Demon and Promethean are the best WOD," the distance between Demon as written and pretty legit cyberpunk feels pretty small to me.

Werewolf I think it kind of depends on how you want to play it, if the focus is on being Spirit Cops then not very much but if you're using your outsider supernatural powers to gently caress up The Man I think you might have something.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

aldantefax posted:

I think the last Shadowrun I played/ran was 3e. Is that too far away from the original cyberpunk...ing? That was the start of the Wizkids era.

The depth of my familiarity with Shadowrun rapidly drops off from 3rd and earlier, 4th was current when I was originally considering getting into it and common advice was to not go back from there. By 4th the authors had already given up any pretense of goals or motivations beyond "get rich for the sake of getting rich, never deal with a dragon but the infinitely more dangerous corps are exactly who you should sell out to and work for because they'll make you rich, gently caress everything else". 5th only dug deeper besides that single optional chapter, and 6th... nobody knows because nobody has read it.

Tulip posted:

As a fellow "Demon and Promethean are the best WOD," the distance between Demon as written and pretty legit cyberpunk feels pretty small to me.

Werewolf I think it kind of depends on how you want to play it, if the focus is on being Spirit Cops then not very much but if you're using your outsider supernatural powers to gently caress up The Man I think you might have something.

I'd definitely call Werewolf closest of the big 3 for the latter bit, Demon crosses a lot of the same territory but never quite tripped over into the category for me. It's a fuzzy mental line. Very good game whether it fits or not though.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Thread ideas:

- a thread for new thread ideas
- a thread for tabletop games oath posting for content creators, GMs, and so on (since a lotta people were making resolution posts about wanting to run more games this year)
- a thread to index and highlight other threads
- a thread to talk about designing a bunch of wizard schools to use for setting mining
- tg jokes thread
- maps thread (battle maps, world maps, star maps, whatever)
- resources and software reviews thread
- vtt thread (on how to make vtt better / worse, funky API tools, and so on)
- debate team thread series: limited run threads which are about debating one specific tradgames topic like “I think experience points are good/bad!” and people can sign up for forming up interesting arguments and counterpoints without getting so worked up people get probated
- a “quick question, quick answer” thread

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

aldantefax posted:

Thread ideas:

- a thread for new thread ideas
- a thread for tabletop games oath posting for content creators, GMs, and so on (since a lotta people were making resolution posts about wanting to run more games this year)
- a thread to index and highlight other threads
- a thread to talk about designing a bunch of wizard schools to use for setting mining
- tg jokes thread
- resources and software reviews thread
- vtt thread (on how to make vtt better / worse, funky API tools, and so on)
- debate team thread series: limited run threads which are about debating one specific tradgames topic like “I think experience points are good/bad!” and people can sign up for forming up interesting arguments and counterpoints without getting so worked up people get probated
- a “quick question, quick answer” thread

Aren't 1, 3, and to a lesser extent 5 and 10 just this thread? Not saying not to do it.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the biggest changes from edition to edition were 3rd to 4th, which eliminated the Pools mechanic and overhauled how the Matrix worked, bringing AR into the setting. From what I remember, the changes from 2nd to 3rd were mostly balance changes. Knowledge skills became a separate category (because no player is going to spend skill points on Elven Wine Connoisseurship when those points can go to Pistols), weapon skills were broken up, and Wired Reflexes no longer let you take your actions all at once.

I've heard that 5th was a grognard edition that brought cyberdecks back, but I don't know.
Yeah Cyberdecks came back in 5th and are also in 6th, it's the bread and butter of engaging with the matrix on any notable level outside of using it as fancy AR Google. Well, except for technomancers who are some sort of magical hackers that use their brain as a cyberdeck as they have access to a metaphysical plane of existence that is the foundation of the matrix.
As a general rule of thumb of how the editions developed, it kinda became more and more complex over the years and the focus shifted back and forth between the role of mundane folk, magic stuff and the influence of matrix, until the latter was reworked entirely into an omnipresent wireless land of endless information, power and people trying to abuse either of those. This led to an ever growing bulky rulebook that go messier over the time, especially with CGL's involvement going from "Yeah we want to do this but are bad at it" to "Yeah we don't care actually at all let's not even pay the writers anymore lol but here's merch buy this".
6th edition as the latest one is the last iteration of this, where they tried to somehow reform the mess into a more streamlined approach with a lot simpler rules, a lot less skills and abilities and everything being much, much, much easier to handle. CGL being CGL, however, hosed up making the result playable and led to utterly absurd rules where, unironically, a naked troll fighting a grown rear end dragon will probably win.

In terms of punkiness, I guess it kinda depends on what you define as "punk" or what direction you want to see the development go to count as such, but there's definitely stuff out there that covers this better, yeah.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I think this thread isn’t followed by everybody and can get/feel kinda clique-y (not saying it is at the moment) and maybe you just want to post a joke and just throw that out there.

I’m just thinking that there can be more posting instead of trying to collapse everything into existing threads since you could ask simple questions in the 5e D&D thread or post your gripes or what not but then your epic zinger gets lost in a flood of posts arguing about if the sky is blue enough or not

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Glutes Are Great posted:

In terms of punkiness, I guess it kinda depends on what you define as "punk" or what direction you want to see the development go to count as such, but there's definitely stuff out there that covers this better, yeah.

I read “cyberdecks” as “cyberducks” and I had a whole other set of words about ‘defining cyberpunk’ but they are better left for a thread to discuss defining the genre in greater detail with some squicky material

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

aldantefax posted:

I think this thread isn’t followed by everybody and can get/feel kinda clique-y (not saying it is at the moment) and maybe you just want to post a joke and just throw that out there.

I’m just thinking that there can be more posting instead of trying to collapse everything into existing threads since you could ask simple questions in the 5e D&D thread or post your gripes or what not but then your epic zinger gets lost in a flood of posts arguing about if the sky is blue enough or not

I agree. There's nothing wrong with trying to float something as a thread, it might die after a few days or weeks, but that's okay.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Very much same. :justpost: is a good mantra. Some stuff will have legs, some won't, but that's the nature of the beast.

I don't want to overpopulate the top of the forum with too many stickied threads, but something like "a thread to index and highlight other threads" could be stickied as long as it's well maintained.

Perhaps the chat thread could be re-named to be more explicitly inclusive of the idea of "here is also where to ask quick questions and get quick answers?"

Trad Games Chat and Q&A: 2021 Anno DMG would fit.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Mr. Maltose posted:

NWoD is more punk than Shadowrun has been for an extremely long time, though?

Funnily enough, I think I've still got a notebook somewhere filled with setting / mechanical notes for a cyberpunk homebrew NWoD game. I've been thinking about digging it up for a while...

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zeerust posted:

Funnily enough, I think I've still got a notebook somewhere filled with setting / mechanical notes for a cyberpunk homebrew NWoD game. I've been thinking about digging it up for a while...

Do it.
Just don't channel Chad Walker in the process.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

aldantefax posted:

Thread ideas:

I know for sure there as a map thread on TG before, but it maybe died due to inactivity? I'm not poo-pooing making another, but maybe a wider Tabletop Game Inspirational Art, Character Art, and Maps thread would be more active? The Hot Modrons thread for RPG/character art has been hibernating for a few months now, too.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Do it.
Just don't channel Chad Walker in the process.

I had to look that guy up, and I've only heard shadowed rumours of how bad Sigmata is.

My setting was a fictionalised Cold War Europe, using a still-separated Berlin as a hub of espionage and spycraft. The idea was basically having PCs be partisans, intelligence agents or mercenaries. The main additions in the homebrew were mostly lists of bionic augments, partly inspired by the Promethean splat Saturnine Nights, but I feel like I could actually do something more with it now I've got some more design experience under my belt.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Glutes Are Great posted:

Yeah Cyberdecks came back in 5th and are also in 6th, it's the bread and butter of engaging with the matrix on any notable level outside of using it as fancy AR Google. Well, except for technomancers who are some sort of magical hackers that use their brain as a cyberdeck as they have access to a metaphysical plane of existence that is the foundation of the matrix.
As a general rule of thumb of how the editions developed, it kinda became more and more complex over the years and the focus shifted back and forth between the role of mundane folk, magic stuff and the influence of matrix, until the latter was reworked entirely into an omnipresent wireless land of endless information, power and people trying to abuse either of those. This led to an ever growing bulky rulebook that go messier over the time, especially with CGL's involvement going from "Yeah we want to do this but are bad at it" to "Yeah we don't care actually at all let's not even pay the writers anymore lol but here's merch buy this".
6th edition as the latest one is the last iteration of this, where they tried to somehow reform the mess into a more streamlined approach with a lot simpler rules, a lot less skills and abilities and everything being much, much, much easier to handle. CGL being CGL, however, hosed up making the result playable and led to utterly absurd rules where, unironically, a naked troll fighting a grown rear end dragon will probably win.

True, like I love the Cyberpunk aesthetic but I'll admit I am not a fan of the themes of Cyberpunk as a genre very much at all

Halloween Jack posted:

I haven't seen a satisfactory attempt to do cyberpunk within a D&D variant ruleset. I wish I had, because then it would be fairly easy to patch in magic rules from some other D&D variant.

Yeah if I ever do get off my rear end and actually try to make an OSR book someday rather than just be a useless "idea guy", doing something like that is towards the top of the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zeerust posted:

I had to look that guy up, and I've only heard shadowed rumours of how bad Sigmata is.

My setting was a fictionalised Cold War Europe, using a still-separated Berlin as a hub of espionage and spycraft. The idea was basically having PCs be partisans, intelligence agents or mercenaries. The main additions in the homebrew were mostly lists of bionic augments, partly inspired by the Promethean splat Saturnine Nights, but I feel like I could actually do something more with it now I've got some more design experience under my belt.

Sigmata isn't his only game or his worst one.

That sounds like a potentially quite good pitch.