Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blade rules, and I am supremely disappointed the only way to get a physical deck of the cards is in that Tokyo Xanadu eX+ Collector's edition.

This post gave me hives for about four reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NikkolasKing posted:

So unless I missed something, I looked at PSN and these Lunar games aren't on it? Why not?

i was just asking on Reddit for JRPG's revolving around love stories and somebody suggested these and of course I've been hearing about the Lunar games (mainly the first one for whatever reason) for years so I figured such popular classics from the golden age of JRPG's had to be on there but apparently not.

working designs is dead, their localizations were heavily edited and had lots of balance changes and idk if anyone else has the rights to release them but i dont think gaijinworks does and the xseed translation of lunar 1 was for the psp port

there was actually a fan tl a couple years back for the snes tenshi no uta which is an old jrpg series centered around love stories, mostly notable for the second pc engine game being directed by the guy who later wrote wild arms 1-4. can't speak to how good the game is, but it exists

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/822/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lunar 1 with full retranslation was (is?) on iPhone and was worked on by a goon. The sequel never got released so you're out of luck there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Lunar 1 with full retranslation was (is?) on iPhone and was worked on by a goon. The sequel never got released so you're out of luck there.

Seems like it's still there and oddly enough has at the very least been updated for x64 devices. So that's something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's crazy that they updated luna, and atlus just let the only english translation of smt1 rot on the old apple store.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1352413200197804034

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I am playing Underrail right now and really enjoying it, it does fantastic job of scratching the Fallout 1&2 itch. The game has really good atmosphere, good quest design and challenging turn based combat. Wait did I type Challenging combat? I should said that this game has zero issue telling your build sucks. I away I admire that because the designer while drawing heavily from the early Fallout games the combat was not remotely challenging after like level 3 and the economy pointless after you roll a couple bands of raiders and had half dozen rifles to buy all of the ammo and stimpacks a merchant had; Underrail does not let that happen. The game is fun lots of good ideas executed pretty well for the most part.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 22, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

"He's on the ruuff"

"Come on, Kazuma Keeruu"

But overall for post-Yakuza 7 talk: there are probably a poo poo ton of people waiting to take advantage of a Tojo and Omi-less power vacuum in Japan, we still have the fact that there are quite a few old Yakuza who are in jail who will probably also be released or have been released by this point, Kume can still do his poo poo because he's a loving worm, and as Yakuza 4, 7 and Judgment showed, the police is still corrupt as gently caress. They can definitely still have it be about entirely new Yakuza groups

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 22, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

whoah I'm surprised I haven't heard of this before

this looks like exactly my jam

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm here for this, especially the screenshot on Nintendo's site of someone using Netscape Navigator to put a hotdog on display.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm here for this, especially the screenshot on Nintendo's site of someone using Netscape Navigator to put a hotdog on display.

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to display
Hotdog

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Defeat in front
GET TREASURE!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

I want to display
Hotdog

hell, :same:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i really really really hope the switch ultimately becomes the nexus for official translations of weird old games. there's so much cool poo poo on the ps1 and ps2 that deserve tls...

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Harrow posted:

Oh it's definitely clear Ichiban is going to be the main protagonist for a good while. The lyrics of the end credits song are entirely about welcoming Ichiban to the franchise, it's not particularly subtle.

Also more importantly he seems to have been very well received here and in Japan.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yakuza: like a dragon was one of my brothers' first experience with yakuza and he loves ichiban

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

i really really really hope the switch ultimately becomes the nexus for official translations of weird old games. there's so much cool poo poo on the ps1 and ps2 that deserve tls...

Well we already got goddamn MOON, so I think it's definitely a thing at this point. It's a platform on sane architecture and mid-range hardware that's not a phone and doesn't encourage 4K/UHD assets as a baseline, so it's pretty ideal for it considering anything that gets built for the Switch is theoretically good forever on anything else build/porting-wise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Those games tend to look like garbage on LCD's though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gaius Marius posted:

Those games tend to look like garbage on LCD's though

do you think that has ever stopped, literally anyone

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well we already got goddamn MOON, so I think it's definitely a thing at this point. It's a platform on sane architecture and mid-range hardware that's not a phone and doesn't encourage 4K/UHD assets as a baseline, so it's pretty ideal for it considering anything that gets built for the Switch is theoretically good forever on anything else build/porting-wise.

tbf a lot of moon can be credited to just. the fact that yoshiro kimura is a super boss who is willing to do anything for the sake of art, including paying for an entire localization of an ancient game he worked on out of his own pocket. i respect that guy a lot

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tae posted:

From interviews, the turn based battle was basically shoved by force so by virtue of actually planning around it being turn based instead of switching genres last second should improve.
The system is clearly running on the same old action system under the hood. If the game decides to use the wrong attack animation on somebody fallen down most of the strikes will miss, because they're not making contact with the model.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Electric Phantasm posted:

Defeat in front
GET TREASURE!!

Defeat in front,
Get treasure in the back

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Icihban will play FF7 remake and we'll just be able to swap to people like a normal 4 person action game.

Like Shrek 2 or Sonic Heroes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
srhek 2 for xbox was much better than sonic heroes. gently caress off

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm now realizing that, because of the time span between when he went to jail and when he got out, Ichiban has no idea what Shrek is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

srhek 2 for xbox was much better than sonic heroes. gently caress off

Look, they both had character swapping at the press of a button and they were the only games I could think of in that moment I'M SORRY

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Crowetron posted:

I'm now realizing that, because of the time span between when he went to jail and when he got out, Ichiban has no idea what Shrek is.

The berserk joke was worth it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

Look, they both had character swapping at the press of a button and they were the only games I could think of in that moment I'M SORRY

you should have thought of marvel ultimate loving alliance

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Crowetron posted:

He can find out what Shrek is after he's caught up on Dragon Quest by playing 8, 9, 10, and 11.

He'd probably be confused as gently caress to find out Squaresoft and Enix are one thing now though

Tae posted:

The berserk joke was worth it.

wait was that a berserk or a one piece joke (edit: actually after watching that scene, I am now unsure if this a berserk or a hunter x hunter joke)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 22, 2021

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I thought it was a Hunter x Hunter joke, personally

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MechaX posted:

wait was that a berserk or a one piece joke

He's complaining about not much progress in 18 years.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

you should have thought of marvel ultimate loving alliance

I never played one so it didn't come to mind!

I should've just said Tales. Why didn't I say Tales?

Or Genshin Impact.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Omori is good so far but it's so loving sloooooooooow

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blade rules, and I am supremely disappointed the only way to get a physical deck of the cards is in that Tokyo Xanadu eX+ Collector's edition.

I bought the Collector's Edition because I wanted that deck so bad.

I still haven't played the game yet.

(not because I think it's bad or don't want to. Just a priorities thing, always something else I want to play keeps popping up first)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MechaX posted:

He'd probably be confused as gently caress to find out Squaresoft and Enix are one thing now though

oh lmao I never considered that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

I bought the Collector's Edition because I wanted that deck so bad.

I still haven't played the game yet.

(not because I think it's bad or don't want to. Just a priorities thing, always something else I want to play keeps popping up first)

I keep stopping short of doing the same, but I think I might just do it at some point. I'm kicking myself for not snagging a pack of separated cards I briefly saw on eBay once.

I actually grabbed the game cheap off the PSN store at one point, and it's... okay. Same social and calendar system, basic action combat instead of turn-based and set in modern-day Japan.

Falcom's really just leaving money on the table by not doing runs of their card games. They're pretty drat fun little time-passers, and aren't really reliant on anything that necessitates being in a videogame. The closest is maybe the way Magic Cards appear on the field in Vantage Masters, and that just seems like something that can be fixed.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 22, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Nearly two hours into Persona 4 Golden, and I feel like the protagonist in a genderswapped Magical Girl anime.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Acerbatus posted:

Omori is good so far but it's so loving sloooooooooow

The dungeons all feel veeery slightly too long, like maybe 15% too long. But they have good payoff. Make sure you have a picnic any time you find Mari with her picnic basket!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

anakha posted:

Nearly two hours into Persona 4 Golden, and I feel like the protagonist in a genderswapped Magical Girl anime.

magical girl anime are much gayer than p4, in an epic way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hey I just finished the prologue of Omori and what the gently caress is this video game