Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

barbecue at the folks posted:

This is true. It's also true that almost everyone who's not a committed leftist is just gonna think anyone that interested in Palestine is a weirdo at best and HAMAS symphatiser at worst. I hope too that the general discourse on the matter would evolve but as it stands, paying that much attention to the Palestine question has the tendency of making people unelectable.

there's no law of nature saying this - in my country, pro-palestine positions are entirely acceptable within the mainstream, and this is the case in many countries. it's a battle of conviction like any other, and though those are harder in places with as dire a press as the UK it's made easier by respected human rights figures within and without israel itself calling it an apartheid regime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
all this makes me think of back in the 2000s when I would tour the various basements and squats of Europe with my hardcore band, and every single one would be plastered with Palestinian flags... except in germany, where it was israeli flags

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

thinking back to the Berlin Radical Queer March in 2019 where the pro-Palestinian bloc (Queers For Palestine) were blocked and banned by the police, by request of the organisers themselves

went along to Liebig (rip) afterwards to find out they'd cancelled the afterparty b/c why the gently caress would you label yourself as a radical queer event if you're willing to work with the cops, and nobody wanted to celebrate that

anyway, Germany is fuckin weird about its support of Israel over Palestine

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i mean i can think of a reason why Germans would think differently about it

if you want more of a noodle scratcher, try to work out why Rangers fans are such huge fans of Israel

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Venomous posted:

thinking back to the Berlin Radical Queer March in 2019 where the pro-Palestinian bloc (Queers For Palestine) were blocked and banned by the police, by request of the organisers themselves

went along to Liebig (rip) afterwards to find out they'd cancelled the afterparty b/c why the gently caress would you label yourself as a radical queer event if you're willing to work with the cops, and nobody wanted to celebrate that

anyway, Germany is fuckin weird about its support of Israel over Palestine

I dunno, it's almost like Germany feels it needs to be suuupppeeer careful around how people think they perceive Jewish people. How weird??

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
imho it's a bad look to be ardent supporters of ethnostates and against letting people being genocided by said ethnostates have any sort of representation but i guess there's no parallels to be drawn to german history there

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

barbecue at the folks posted:

This is true. It's also true that almost everyone who's not a committed leftist is just gonna think anyone that interested in Palestine is a weirdo at best and HAMAS symphatiser at worst. I hope too that the general discourse on the matter would evolve but as it stands, paying that much attention to the Palestine question has the tendency of making people unelectable.

Well, once we have collected all leftwing forces in a centrally run Leninist party we can talk about enforcing message discipline on topics for short term political gain.
I mean what would that look like in a real world application? Getting into endless slapfights with people passionate on the topic? Or succeeding and looking even more defeated than we are?

genericnick has issued a correction as of 12:15 on Jan 22, 2021

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Meanwhile, it keeps happening:

https://twitter.com/BylineTV/status/1352352805273657347

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
nooooo my fantasieeeesss my precious, idiotic, unquestioned fantaaasiieeeeees :cry:

it's good that he admits he's hosed himself and his family though, step in the right direction

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
things that will not happen
- the electorate learning to take some loving responsibility when making political decisions
- the government being held accountable for going through with this stupid poo poo and not, for instance, making it as reversible and symbolic as possible

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kaveman posted:

Is your username a joke?

Yes lol it's a DE quote about how having commie thoughts doesn't make you a communist

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
it's becoming clear that a lot of these motherfuckers have no genuine understanding of what the EU is and could not actually describe what it's like not to be in the EU. and don't understand what is usually involved with international trade, such as prohibitively expensive paperwork and taxes and suchlike

it always seemed like an insulting stereotype to sugest that the only thing they know on a subject is what their stupid newspaper says but its turning out to be right on the money

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
yeah uh not feeling sorry for people who voted with their racism and it has now catastrophically backfired on them.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The shitheads who got the violent wakeup call about how horribly they've been overestimating themselves are a tiny minority and the ones who'll publicly cop to having had that epiphany are a smaller minority still and while having that willingness to stand up and say loving Oops is something, it's still barely anything, and they're still shitheads

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

replace israel with trans rights or syria or BLM and you could argue the same thing. i think "don't talk about X because people don't understand it" is goofy.

also in your view shoul palestinian brits also "shut the gently caress up" about israel? i'd like to hear some communist thoughts on this.

I wouldn't really think Syria is an issue that's important for the British left right now either. Itts also definitely not remotely as hot button issue as Israel is for the left.
This post is legit the first time I've seen a lefty talking about Syria in one or two years and absolutely no one on earth accuses lefties of being too concerned with syria.

The UK is falling to bits and it would be nice for a left wing movement to focus on that instead of arguing about foreign countries in a way that makes them look insane to everyone else.
Whether its possible or not, it would be nice.

Trans rights and black rights aren't the same as opposing a foreign government. A left wing British government can actually help our trans people and black people in a way they can't help Palestine.
Though I see the point that they are both unpopular with the transphobic racists that make up 40% of the electorate.

Eh nothing is gonna change anyway and the UK left is hosed for some time.
This wouldn't be the silver bullet either I just saw the outrage on twitter over the labour chief spook nobody is voting for anyway hiring an Israeli and got so so tired

All our symbolic solidarity has done gently caress all for Palestine.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
One saving grace is that all this stuff has been happening immediately so more people are going to make the connection that, ah, no, 'twas Brexit that hosed us.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Communist Thoughts posted:

I wouldn't really think Syria is an issue that's important for the British left right now either. Itts also definitely not remotely as hot button issue as Israel is for the left.
This post is legit the first time I've seen a lefty talking about Syria in one or two years and absolutely no one on earth accuses lefties of being too concerned with syria.

The UK is falling to bits and it would be nice for a left wing movement to focus on that instead of arguing about foreign countries in a way that makes them look insane to everyone else.

Trans rights and black rights aren't the same as opposing a foreign government. A left wing British government can actually help our trans people and black people in a way they can't help Palestine.
Though I see the point that they are both unpopular with the transphobic racists that make up 40% of the electorate.

This wouldn't be the silver bullet either I just saw the outrage on twitter over the labour chief spook nobody is voting for anyway hiring an Israeli and got so so tired

This raises an important question - how many of those who refuse to vote Labour for saying "Palestinians are people deserving of equal rights" would vote for a Labour party saying "trans rights are human rights"?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

This raises an important question - how many of those who refuse to vote Labour for saying "Palestinians are people deserving of equal rights" would vote for a Labour party saying "trans rights are human rights"?

But that's an actual relevant domestic issue worth fighting for since we can affect it.

Should a British left wing party tell trans and black people in the UK yes we care about you and your suffering but we also equally care about this one very specific oppressed group 6000 miles away in a different country we have no control over.
It doesn't really make it look like you have their best interests in mind if you think the two are the same.

If we do all the fighting for trans rights and BLM in the UK the return we get for the cost is material and hugely impactful in the UK.
If we do the same attacking Israel we still have a huge wall to climb but on the other side is... What? Flying a Palestinian flag from Westminster?

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Sorry but this really doesn't track at all. Like, beyond the fact that a left wing government actually could help Palestinian rights a great deal (thru recognition, cancelling of arms deals, etc), it's absolutely wrong to totally concede an issue that the right is going to bring up constantly anyway, whether you do or not.

Like, imagine saying this in the 1980s but for South Africa and apartheid as a comparison; it's totally nuts.

Disproportionation has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Jan 22, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

But that's an actual relevant domestic issue worth fighting for since we can affect it.

Should a British left wing party tell trans and black people in the UK yes we care about you and your suffering but we also equally care about this one very specific oppressed group 6000 miles away in a different country we have no control over.
It doesn't really make it look like you have their best interests in mind if you think the two are the same.

If we do all the fighting for trans rights and BLM in the UK the return we get for the cost is material and hugely impactful in the UK.
If we do the same attacking Israel we still have a huge wall to climb but on the other side is... What? Flying a Palestinian flag from Westminster?

You didn't even try to address the question.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Let's just curl up into a ball and beg for the beatings to stop

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

multijoe posted:

They won't.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

multijoe posted:

they will continue until morale improves.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
like literally the only thing that can help the palestinians is governments

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
but we're only complicit and tacitly supporting apartheid outside our borders!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

You didn't even try to address the question.

I did

I don't agree that it is "an important question". I don't think it's a relevant comparison tbh

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

multijoe posted:

Guardianishly: This is what true leadership looks like!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I did

I don't agree that it is "an important question". I don't think it's a relevant comparison tbh

Bullshit.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Exactly

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

You're saying "maybe we shouldn't care about the Palestinians" without even convincingly trying to pretend you have a reason to do so.

If it doesn't hurt Labour in elections, why shouldn't they? And if it does hurt Labour, who are these people for trans rights but against Palestine? How much of this bullshit is just compromising on left-wing ideals to chase people who will vote Tory anyway no matter what you do?

We all suspect pissflaps is Blair. Are you literally Keir?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

genericnick posted:

Guardianishly: This is what true leadership looks like!

Real Leadership Is Offering To Hit Yourself So Your Assaulter Can Take A Break

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I am a principled leftist who believes in standing against all kinds of oppression except those kinds which are a bit far away or I don't quite have all the tools I would need to help. Better not show verbal solidarity with those kinds.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

endlessmonotony posted:

You're saying "maybe we shouldn't care about the Palestinians" without even convincingly trying to pretend you have a reason to do so.

If it doesn't hurt Labour in elections, why shouldn't they? And if it does hurt Labour, who are these people for trans rights but against Palestine? How much of this bullshit is just compromising on left-wing ideals to chase people who will vote Tory anyway no matter what you do?

We all suspect pissflaps is Blair. Are you literally Keir?

CT is neil kinnock reincarnated

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sorry that was too harsh, but imo you're mirroring a lot of the electability anxiety of the post-keynesian consensus social democrats who were, to emphasise, totally useless even when they did win elections

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
pull up thread

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i personally do hold those beliefs and have to explain them to normies every time they come up in the news.

i just think a political movement running for westminster shouldnt have it front and centre and leap into it every time its raised, as an MP looking like you care more about people from other countries than your own is poison in the UK. partly for fash reasons (which are basically mainstream now) but also just coz people do actually want their MPs to do something for them and a large amount of people in the UK do not know or care about israel.

theres a lot of watching left wing parties walk directly into the beartrap laid for them and when you tell them to avoid the beartrap they stand in it and claim that this is what fighting looks like

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Dravs posted:

pull up thread

no sorry this is the brexit thread

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I think it's an expression of wooly thinking around WHY 'the people' should be behind your agenda and how you react to a massive dunking like 2019 when a shitload of people clearly aren't.

If your brain isn't solidly rooted in class analysis then you're consciously or subconsciously treating the population as some blob of matrixed preferences and morals and so you operate on a median voter model. If you can just increase your popularity with some particular socioeconomic group with a particular policy without losing the same amount of votes in other groups by that same policy then you can brute force your way into a winning coalition of voters. Steer clear of making any statements unless it's properly targeting a voting bloc and eventually you'll win people over even if you end up never ever making any sort of bold or proactive statements as a consequence.

It's an ahistorical model of politics which ignores all the psychological factors behind how voters pick parties and cannot rehabilitate Labour in the UK.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

sorry that was too harsh, but imo you're mirroring a lot of the electability anxiety of the post-keynesian consensus social democrats who were, to emphasise, totally useless even when they did win elections

yeah i think so

im not sure its even "electability" anxiety though its just displaced dread at the political state of the UK

like all my old friends i see on facebook are going legit fascist without realising it. these aren't bad people they just have absolutely no understanding of politics and the left is massively losing the battle for them while youtube or wherever the hell theyr getting these ideas is effortlessly hoovering them up

i dont think the pro-palestine stuff is what will make the difference, but i do think its part of the left disappearing off down its own lanes that other people don't understand and we can fight endlessly about
e: and i dont include trans rights and black rights in those lanes, i think those are actually explainable to these people as to why they're important. which is why i disagreed with monotony's post

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OK, but how would the actual strategy be any different than what Corbyn's Labour ended up with? Specifically you have a lot of motivated and unpaid volunteers who are passionate about Palestine, that you agree with, but you let a group of hostiles comb through their social media history to figure out if they are 3% more mad than appropriate about Palestinian kids being burned to death and need to be expelled.