Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

So one hand desperately holds onto Scotland while the other one pushes Northern Ireland away.

I wonder what it will take for Unionists to finally understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Communist Thoughts posted:

i do think the left in the UK should just shut the gently caress up about israel.
its like the most obvious trap every time and nobody else in the whole country has any idea what we're on about.

in 20 years time we're gonna have another shot at a left wing government and like corbyn one of the first things they're gonna do is go off on one about israel (anyone else remember his weird speech during the hustings saying israel would "rue the day" they had decided to be so awful?)
and that time i'm just gonna sigh and wait for defeat

Opposing racism and oppression are pretty key reasons for why I'm left wing. Israel will stop being a sticking point for the left when Israel stops being an Apartheid state.

Compromising those central planks just to try appease people who won't ever be appeased by anyone left of Blair is not something I'm interested in.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

most people with experience in centrist politics are massive failures

you could probably remove centrist from that sentence

e: also tbf i dont think going into the posting unit is "going the extra mile" in the IDF lol

i have cousins who come from a country with national service and its a whole fuckin thing

the dude did officer training, i thought, which seems 'extra mile'-y to me

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i do think the left in the UK should just shut the gently caress up about israel.
its like the most obvious trap every time and nobody else in the whole country has any idea what we're on about.

in 20 years time we're gonna have another shot at a left wing government and like corbyn one of the first things they're gonna do is go off on one about israel (anyone else remember his weird speech during the hustings saying israel would "rue the day" they had decided to be so awful?)

what do you reckon motivates a british left worth fighting for which allows for this kind of discipline

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Opposing racism and oppression are pretty key reasons for why I'm left wing. Israel will stop being a sticking point for the left when Israel stops being an Apartheid state.

Compromising those central planks just to try appease people who won't ever be appeased by anyone left of Blair is not something I'm interested in.

Main reason I quit labour (was going to quit before GE2019 but when it was announced hung around not to let people down as I was the main social media wrangler, quit before leadership result was announced) was I could see which way the wind was blowing and I could see Palestinians were going to be sold down the river, the three leadership candidates did not disappoint in that regard, all swearing allegiance to the BoD pledges.
At least I can comment on Israel / Palestine affairs without fear of being booted from the party with false accusations of anti-semitism which I would never in a million years be able to afford to sue for libel.
(I read recently somewhere that during the 2016 purges, labour were able to identify people on social media who were in the party even if they didn't use their own name or an email address associated with their LP membership. I don't know how that works or if it's true.)

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Eagerly awaiting this becoming the Scexit thread.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bird. posted:

I am an idiot American but I cannot see a future where the UK keeps Northern Ireland or Scotland. Perhaps not today or tomorrow, but as the years tick by those territories will detach and the UK has not the military, political will, connections, or public sympathy to prevent that. The type of government that could suppress the rising tide of freedom from the hated colonial overlord won't be found anytime soon in the UK. Neoliberalism has made them as incapable of making their subjects fear them as they are at making their subjects love them.

The only questions still up in the air are: when will Wales go? Cornwall? And once those go, why not the North?

Congratulations, heirs of Alfred the Great, William the Conqueror, and William of Orange, you've recreated the heptarchy.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 08:42 on Jan 21, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

bird. posted:

hmmmmmmm!!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

trial by stone!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

bedpan posted:

I am an idiot American but I cannot see a future where the UK keeps Northern Ireland or Scotland. Perhaps not today or tomorrow, but as the years tick by those territories will detach and the UK has not the military, political will, connections, or public sympathy to prevent that. The type of government that could suppress the rising tide of freedom from the hated colonial overlord won't be found anytime soon in the UK. Neoliberalism has made them as incapable of making their subjects fear them as they are at making their subjects love them.

The only questions still up in the air are: when will Wales go? Cornwall? And once those go, why not the North?

Congratulations, heirs of Alfred the Great, William the Conqueror, and William of Orange, you've recreated the heptarchy.

I mean George is not wrong in that ignoring the issue means there's not much that can come of it, unless outright rebellion occurs. He's also right in that nobody will care about a unified Ireland, Northern Ireland is a lost cause anyway. The SNP's entire reason for existing is independence - if that happens then they'll collapse. So in alot of ways its beneficial for nothing to happen, allowing the SNP to continue to stir up national fervour and blame England for any and all woes. He's also not wrong in that the loss of Scotland would entirely diminish Westminster - ironically England needs Scotland so it can continue to pretend to be a united Kingdom. If Scotland breaks away and rejoins the EU then all you have is a diminished insular nation state.

Basically Scotland cannot do anything without the approval of Westminster - it can attempt a Catalonia style referendum, but it would likely result in the SNP's arrest and devolution dissolved. Unless another more powerful nation is willing to come to Scotland's rescue it can't do much.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

Basically Scotland cannot do anything without the approval of Westminster - it can attempt a Catalonia style referendum, but it would likely result in the SNP's arrest and devolution dissolved. Unless another more powerful nation is willing to come to Scotland's rescue it can't do much.

This would own, agitating for independence and holding a referendum to have England before the world and God after Brexit try to dissolve the SNP and the outrage and riots it would cause while Ireland reunifies anyways, just the most rofls -- I hope they weigh the leverage they have and do it

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Cornwall is steaming ahead through more and more devolution.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

I believe even as Ireland leaves, and Scotland leaves, and Wales and Cornwall push for increased devolution, Englanders will still believe they are the mightiest empire in the world.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i can see a future where the U.K. breaks up and england is finally freed to wave the st. george's cross around as much as they want, which is what they always wanted to do anyways. what's wrong with being denmark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6hjI5VSaao

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I saw many St George's crosses flying outside people's houses just yesterday, driving through north london/south hertfordshire.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Already doing well courting favour with the EU I see:

UK and EU in row over bloc's diplomatic status

BBC posted:

A diplomatic row has broken out between the UK and EU over the status of the bloc's ambassador in London.

The UK is refusing to give Joao Vale de Almeida the full diplomatic status that is granted to other ambassadors.

The Foreign Office is insisting he and his officials should not have the privileges and immunities afforded to diplomats under the Vienna Convention.

It is understood not to want to set a precedent by treating an international body in the same way as a nation state.

As it stands, the ambassador would not have the chance to present his credentials to the Queen like other diplomatic heads of mission.

The British decision is in marked contrast to 142 other countries around the world where the EU has delegations and where its ambassadors are all granted the same status as diplomats representing sovereign nations.

One EU source said: "It seems petty. This is not about privileges, it's about principle. What does it say about the UK, about how much the British signature is worth?"

Some in the EU also fear hostile states might copy the UK and downgrade the protections granted to EU diplomats in their own countries. This could open them up to being harassed and make them easier for them to be expelled.

A European Commission spokesman said: "The UK, as a signatory to the Lisbon Treaty, is well aware of the EU's status in external relations, and was cognisant and supportive of this status while it was a member of the EU.

"The EU has 143 delegations, equivalent to diplomatic missions, around the world. Without exception, all host states have accepted to grant these delegations and their staff a status equivalent to that of diplomatic missions of states under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, and the UK is well aware of this fact."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
we must protect the queen from seeing eu credentials

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

How long until the complete collapse of the UK, and will it happen before liz dies?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Biplane posted:

How long until the complete collapse of the UK, and will it happen before liz dies?

Not soon enough

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

For a fun time hop onto twitter and look at guardian terfs melting down about Biden.

https://twitter.com/hadleyfreeman/status/1352186532556374016?s=21

edit: added a link

TheDoublePivot has issued a correction as of 13:27 on Jan 21, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I dont know how to do that

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i do think the left in the UK should just shut the gently caress up about israel. its like the most obvious trap every time and nobody else in the whole country has any idea what we're on about.

replace israel with trans rights or syria or BLM and you could argue the same thing. i think "don't talk about X because people don't understand it" is goofy.

also in your view shoul palestinian brits also "shut the gently caress up" about israel? i'd like to hear some communist thoughts on this.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Is your username a joke?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

can't believe keir starmer bought an account.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i can see a future where the U.K. breaks up and england is finally freed to wave the st. george's cross around as much as they want, which is what they always wanted to do anyways. what's wrong with being denmark?
Please do not quote Reddit bigotry like this.

Kaveman posted:

Is your username a joke?
Explicitly communist username = parochial old-school one-nation communist.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheDoublePivot posted:

For a fun time hop onto twitter and look at guardian terfs melting down about Biden.

https://twitter.com/hadleyfreeman/status/1352186532556374016?s=21

edit: added a link

this one triggered me hard. hadley freeman is honestly the worst person on earth.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

oliwan posted:

this one triggered me hard. hadley freeman is honestly the worst person on earth.

Already unavailable oh dearie me diddums get ratioed?

Ed: #BidenErasedWomen is trending, so I daresay there'll be plenty of tears there.

Runcible Cat has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Jan 21, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kaveman posted:

Is your username a joke?

It's cool, he's internalized the entire phenomenon his av is referencing. He is now a 'useless piece of poo poo' type leftist. Ever depressed, ever trying to dodge whatever 'traps' the other side has set up, ever defeated.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Popping back in the UKMT recently and seeing Zero Gravitas has turned into a Sensible Left moderate was so sad

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Ugh, D&D is infecting C-SPAM again.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dravs posted:

Ugh, D&D is infecting C-SPAM again.

Eh UKMT was originally an LF thread/community before LF was closed.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Levelling up across the country would probably go faster if they hadn't selected the "Bad Deal Brexit" challenge mode.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

what if brexit, but woke

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i'll just say what i said when someone suggested the same thing about immigration discourse in us politics being too difficult:

people have said this through out history about :
-trans rights
-gay marriage
-women's suffrage
-racial equality
-segregation
-slavery
-etc

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'll say it again: israel/palestine is one of those issues where people will naturally have strong feelings if they're involved in international solidarity, antiracism and/or anti-imperialism. it clusters very tightly with being an ideological left-winger. dropping the issue means pissing on all the lefties - which is a really bad way to keep them mobilised and loyal, as one must to try to implement leftie policies domestically

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

i'll say it again: israel/palestine is one of those issues where people will naturally have strong feelings if they're involved in international solidarity, antiracism and/or anti-imperialism. it clusters very tightly with being an ideological left-winger. dropping the issue means pissing on all the lefties - which is a really bad way to keep them mobilised and loyal, as one must to try to implement leftie policies domestically

This is true. It's also true that almost everyone who's not a committed leftist is just gonna think anyone that interested in Palestine is a weirdo at best and HAMAS symphatiser at worst. I hope too that the general discourse on the matter would evolve but as it stands, paying that much attention to the Palestine question has the tendency of making people unelectable.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

This is true. It's also true that almost everyone who's not a committed leftist is just gonna think anyone that interested in Palestine is a weirdo at best and HAMAS symphatiser at worst. I hope too that the general discourse on the matter would evolve but as it stands, paying that much attention to the Palestine question has the tendency of making people unelectable.

the trick is repetition and normalization, unfortunately its slow and requires persistence

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Randler posted:

Levelling up across the country would probably go faster if they hadn't selected the "Bad Deal Brexit" challenge mode.
drat bullied into a corner by the perfidious Woke Mob again

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

oliwan posted:

https://twitter.com/supermathskid/status/1352211728105406465?s=21
terves in the replies/qts accusing this person of binarist thinking :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i think it's a bad thing that there's a place in the world where people are kept in a big cage and tortured by a state

i am a big softy though