Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Gone Fashing posted:

god drat congrats man

thats someone on wsb, no way would i have risked gambling that lol

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

cr0y posted:

Non meme stock degenerate conversation: I am holding a couple $AMD 2/19 $13 calls and realized I don't know what to do with them with AMD reporting earnings Tuesday after close.

Ya know, "don't hold through earnings"

If that's not a fat finger and you actually hold $13 calls that you (i assume at this point) got relatively cheap and didn't just buy when they were deep in the money, you call up your broker and say "I'd like to exercise these contracts" so you own 200 shares of AMD at a $13 cost basis

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So the obvious question is who else has a ton of short gamma exposure?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

If that's not a fat finger and you actually hold $13 calls that you (i assume at this point) got relatively cheap and didn't just buy when they were deep in the money, you call up your broker and say "I'd like to exercise these contracts" so you own 200 shares of AMD at a $13 cost basis

That was a fat finger, sorry been in BB mode all day. $90 calls for AMD

Although I still do have some $10 TLRY calls I might exercise and sock away into my long-term folder. I use eTrade, do I just gotta call them or something? From what I've read you can't exercise options via the web interface.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 22, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

thats not candy posted:

lol less than 600 bucks into 6 figgies on 0day calls

I am struggling to understand this, can someone please check my logic. Did this person spend $600 on a lottery ticket that paid off? The worst that could happen is they would've lost $600 right?

gently caress if you're monitoring WSB / discord closely to narrow down memes, what's the downside of taking a few grand a year and spreading it on a few 0day calls like this? Will a lot of them go to zero?

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

Inner Light posted:

I am struggling to understand this, can someone please check my logic. Did this person spend $600 on a lottery ticket that paid off? The worst that could happen is they would've lost $600 right?

gently caress if you're monitoring WSB / discord closely to narrow down memes, what's the downside of taking a few grand a year and spreading it on a few 0day calls like this? Will a lot of them go to zero?

($600) x 52 = ($31,200) if WSB fund past performance does not indicate future results

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

cr0y posted:

That was a fat finger, sorry been in BB mode all day. $90 calls for AMD

Although I still do have some $10 TLRY calls I might exercise and sock away into my long-term folder. I use eTrade, do I just gotta call them or something? From what I've read you can't exercise options via the web interface.

I'd just sell Tuesday before close and hope there is a run up to capture some extra IV exposure Mon and Tues. Though obvs you can get bit if they blow out earnings and go higher but that's always the risk

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Inner Light posted:

This is correct, $6/contract, 98 contracts. So most he could have lost is ~$600. The deal though is 99.99999999% of the time those are expiring worthless. Dude got lucky. I mean you can too, but it really is basically playing the lottery when you do these 0DTE calls way out of the money

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Yeah 0dte way outside the money calls like that are dirt cheap, you can pick up hundreds of them at a time usually but you're just throwing money away unless you know that squeeze is coming

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

thats not candy posted:

Yeah 0dte way outside the money calls like that are dirt cheap, you can pick up hundreds of them at a time usually but you're just throwing money away unless you know that squeeze is coming

I have a feeling that 0DTE calls for GME on next Friday will be priced much higher due to this one paying off too lol

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

thoughts on BB shares? Hold for more growth? Sell asap?

Same with CCIV, did not expect that to re-meme.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Deviant posted:

I have 30 shares of CCIV i'm comfortable holding to 0 since i think Lucid, if the merger ends up being true, could end up with the same magic that Tesla has

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The pump is def on for BB right now

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

cr0y posted:

The pump is def on for BB right now

It's just how do you tell where the top is when what you have is 10,000 monkeysredditors at 10,000 copies of robinhood?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Deviant posted:

take profits on cciv if you want, but its going to fly past $30 as soon as a DA is announced. if you're determined to swing trade then you can probably sell monday morning if there's no weekend news. but the big saudi ffi expo is next week, lucid is appearing, and there's a lot of rumor around potential news then or after. not sure how much of a mid-week dip we will get

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

thats not candy posted:

take profits on cciv if you want, but its going to fly past $30 as soon as a DA is announced. if you're determined to swing trade then you can probably sell monday morning if there's no weekend news. but the big saudi ffi expo is next week, lucid is appearing, and there's a lot of rumor around potential news then or after. not sure how much of a mid-week dip we will get

I'm not in any hurry to exit these positions, I just hate to be caught holding a bag on meme stocks.

I'm notoriously paper-handed to use their terminology.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What's the big case for BB again? Meme, Reddit vs shorts, a new and exciting device? According to this the short interest is 6.25% so I don't think it will squeeze like GME. But this is now, so who the gently caress knows.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Just out of curiosity I wanted to see what the wait time was to talk to a human at eTrade, the answer? 6 hours

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Ola posted:

What's the big case for BB again? Meme, Reddit vs shorts, a new and exciting device? According to this the short interest is 6.25% so I don't think it will squeeze like GME. But this is now, so who the gently caress knows.

They sold all their phone patents to Huawei and are focusing on some tech industry stuff now (can't remember what exactly)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DoubleT2172 posted:

They sold all their phone patents to Huawei and are focusing on some tech industry stuff now (can't remember what exactly)

Levering the blockchain in making sure autonomous EVs can deliver legal cannabis on Earth and Mars, gotcha.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

Hardened stuff for EVs

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

cr0y posted:

Just out of curiosity I wanted to see what the wait time was to talk to a human at eTrade, the answer? 6 hours

If you trade enough to generate lots of commissions they throw platinum at you and you get a dedicated relationship manager.

Gotta be more active. :getin:

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

leper khan posted:

If you trade enough to generate lots of commissions they throw platinum at you and you get a dedicated relationship manager.

Gotta be more active. :getin:

As I was frantically doing meme stocks today I got an email from E-Trade that said I now qualified for lower commissions on options. It's like they know who to drop the bag of heroine in front of lol.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

DoubleT2172 posted:

Mostly autonomous driving and standard receiver OS, iirc.

The thing with BB is weird because it is kind of a meme stock from being lol Blackberry, but the boost it had when they sold their phone patents was very real, as was the slight boost when they settled their lawsuit with Facebook. I don't think Reddit had anything to do with those gains.

The problem is no one knows if they'll actually go anywhere with their new tech. It's pretty untested. BB QNX is in a lot of vehicles now, but they don't seem to have translated that into actual profit yet so a lot of analysts are saying hold, but not to buy or sell yet. Probably won't know what's going on until earnings.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

DoubleT2172 posted:

This is correct, $6/contract, 98 contracts. So most he could have lost is ~$600. The deal though is 99.99999999% of the time those are expiring worthless. Dude got lucky. I mean you can too, but it really is basically playing the lottery when you do these 0DTE calls way out of the money

Way better odds than the loving lottery. This isn’t uncommon. Witness the last year of wsb and you’ll understand.

Do it on the next meme stock. Worst case you lose $600 or $1200 or $20,000? gently caress it dude. Let’s go bowling

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 23, 2021

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
How do you even exit a position like those GME YOLO calls that are that far in the money? Do you have to get on the phone to your brokerage and have them start exercising them and selling immediately, or is there enough market for them that you can unload the options without creating arbitrage opportunities for someone else?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Arzakon posted:

How do you even exit a position like those GME YOLO calls that are that far in the money? Do you have to get on the phone to your brokerage and have them start exercising them and selling immediately, or is there enough market for them that you can unload the options without creating arbitrage opportunities for someone else?

lotta brokers (but not RH) let you watch order flow in realtime.

I watched the 0DTE 50Cs before and after all the halts, and I saw something like 30,000 contracts change hands, and those were ~$15-25 ITM.

So to answer your question, there's enough market to unload them before exercise time, if your goal is to just take profits.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Tons of people want to buy those far in the money calls because its basically free leverage for fast trades without much premium, they will more or less move in lockstep with the underlying for half the price

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I bought $4.20 worth of GME with pocket change in my fun money account. It came out to 0.069 shares.

My investment career has peaked.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I bought $4.20 worth of GME with pocket change in my fun money account. It came out to 0.069 shares.

Was eyeballing PLTR LEAPs and joked to my homeboy when they hit $420 that now was the time to buy. Saw them on my watchlist today for $666, then again at $690. If 420 ever graces my screen again I'm buying with whatever cash I have.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Those of you selling cash secured puts, any favorite tickers to suggest?

I only do weeklies, so take that for what you will.

APHA
ACB
BB
DDD
FSR
LAZR
SRNE
HYLN

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

Send that trade to every hedge fund and at least half will hire you.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shappa posted:

It is going to be absolutely fascinating to see what happens when WSB gears up for the next GME. It's going to happen, probably next week, and I can't wait to see if this is just a *thing* that becomes part of the marketplace, or if it fails spectacularly either from immediate apathy or some sort of SEC regulation.

What a time to be alive.

Ignoring the doxxing and other 4chan type attacks on that Citron guy, what exactly is WSB doing that deems SEC investigation / regulation? I know there was a lot of controversy from a couple days ago where the sub temporarily was shut down and some guy posted a super long (now deleted) insider post about hedge funds being pissed off, etc., but the way I see it, it's not fraudulent or misleading -- they're not saying anything that isn't accurate about GME or other of their meme stocks.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I only do weeklies, so take that for what you will.

Thanks, I will do some research on these. When you sell, how far out on expiration are you selling?

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

Sand Monster posted:

Ignoring the doxxing and other 4chan type attacks on that Citron guy, what exactly is WSB doing that deems SEC investigation / regulation? I know there was a lot of controversy from a couple days ago where the sub temporarily was shut down and some guy posted a super long (now deleted) insider post about hedge funds being pissed off, etc., but the way I see it, it's not fraudulent or misleading -- they're not saying anything that isn't accurate about GME or other of their meme stocks.

Thanks, I will do some research on these. When you sell, how far out on expiration are you selling?

Yeah I legit don't know if it's illegal or not. It seems like it could maybe fall into some sort of market manipulation realm.... but also not? I really don't know the ends and outs of this, and on the surface I can't really see anything wrong with a bunch of friends getting together to buy a stock they all like. I guess the fact that it's WSB and it's actually a bunch of strangers coordinating this effort makes it seem fishy. Like I said, very very interested to see how this style of investing develops, especially on the next few attempts/targets.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shappa posted:

Yeah I legit don't know if it's illegal or not. It seems like it could maybe fall into some sort of market manipulation realm.... but also not? I really don't know the ends and outs of this, and on the surface I can't really see anything wrong with a bunch of friends getting together to buy a stock they all like. I guess the fact that it's WSB and it's actually a bunch of strangers coordinating this effort makes it seem fishy. Like I said, very very interested to see how this style of investing develops, especially on the next few attempts/targets.

Yeah, I just don't see how it's different from someone like Jim Cramer who is on TV making recommendations, except in this case it's in the aggregate and it's not one lone person driving the conversation.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
pump and dump schemes are illegal but i imagine that's hard to prove when they're not garbage penny stocks and other crap. plus its not like wsb is a company with clients and a paper trail, and no one seems to be dumping gme yet anyways

they're also not outright lying about valuation, just hyping themselves up about what gme could potentially pivot to if they don't go bankrupt

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

thats not candy posted:

pump and dump schemes are illegal but i imagine that's hard to prove when they're not garbage penny stocks and other crap. plus its not like wsb is a company with clients and a paper trail, and no one seems to be dumping gme yet anyways

they're also not outright lying about valuation, just hyping themselves up about what gme could potentially pivot to if they don't go bankrupt

Pump and dump requires malicious intent backed by fraudulent claims. Saying "GME is a great buy because there's a ton of short interest", when supported by facts (as WSB posters have documented) isn't pump and dump. The forum is littered with DD posts with citations. The real pump and dump is living on Twitter.

To clarify, I do think that the mistake they are making is pissing off people who are used to getting their way, and are worth billions. It's a rigged game and WSB is finding a way to exploit it for their gain, which is in turn angering those who do have power.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Sand Monster posted:

Pump and dump requires malicious intent backed by fraudulent claims. Saying "GME is a great buy because there's a ton of short interest", when supported by facts (as WSB posters have documented) isn't pump and dump. The forum is littered with DD posts with citations. The real pump and dump is living on Twitter.

To clarify, I do think that the mistake they are making is pissing off people who are used to getting their way, and are worth billions. It's a rigged game and WSB is finding a way to exploit it for their gain, which is in turn angering those who do have power.

yeah exactly

Do we know how much of the gme investment was from retail randos instead of people like cohen and other institutions seeing the short interest and dumping more big money?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

It's a weekend and it's been a while for a twitter list update. These were exported via tweetdeck.twitter.com and you can import them at that site. I just split my main #fintwit list into two lists:

The first list is my pared down primary/daily list. It covers major market news, ETFs, some big #fintwit personalities, investing and macroeconomics. It's the list I really care about the most.

The second list is simply for popular accounts talking about stocks. Basically: I got tired of single-stock tweets filling up my primary list, so I moved a bunch of things from the other list into this new list. Then I added a few other things to it and moved over some accounts I like to have handy to reference (e.g. Sven) but don't want to read their daily spam. The purpose of the second list is to be able to search it for symbols before entering into a trade on that symbol. A few select accounts (e.g. Wall St Jesus, and Will Meade) accounts are in both lists.

List #1:
@chamath
@sentimentrader
@TheStalwart
@marketfolly
@jimcramer
@DaveNadig
@tracyalloway
@Fullcarry
@chigrl
@CNBCnow
@hedgopia
@bespokeinvest
@Rick_Ferri
@SalehaMohsin
@Schuldensuehner
@JeffreyKleintop
@LiveSquawk
@StockCats
@Vanguard_Group
@markets
@stlouisfed
@tpsarofagis
@VincentDeluard
@eWhispers
@EricBalchunas
@ScottMinerd
@iShares
@Vanguard_FA
@VisualCap
@modestproposal1
@NYFedResearch
@syouth1
@WallStJesus
@StrategasRP
@NateGeraci
@GrantsPub
@FerroTV
@Trinhnomics
@lisaabramowicz1
@ToddCFRA
@charliebilello
@boijefd
@JavierBlas
@wealth
@jturek18
@WallStCynic
@HedgeMind
@ARKInvest
@PantheonMacro
@BlackRock_News
@DeItaone
@RandyAFrederick
@HedgeyeDDale
@TimmerFidelity
@LizAnnSonders
@BLKPublicPolicy
@ING_Economics
@FirstSquawk
@StephenSpratt
@RenMacLLC
@10kdiver
@EddBolingbroke
@jbensondurham
@R_Perli
@CapitalTalk2
@spotgamma
@borrowed_ideas
@MacroCharts
@JayJacobsCFA
@RickRieder
@JohnStCapital
@TruthGundlach
@MarketInterest
@RamBhupatiraju
@dlacalle_IA
@realwillmeade
@SmithEconomics
@BittelJulien
@SqueezeMetrics
@Perth_Tolle

List #2:
@traderstewie
@OptionAlert
@ChartMill
@muddywatersre
@CitronResearch
@FinancialJuice
@WallStJesus
@NorthmanTrader
@Wolfmetric
@WallStCynic
@AnthonyOhayon
@TradeWithAlerts
@ParikPatelCFA
@unusual_whales
@wallstmemes
@soonervaluecap
@Dividend_Dollar
@HatchingGains
@saxena_puru
@FromValue
@CheddarFlow
@Scuttlebutt_Inv
@MelStone31
@HindenburgRes
@realwillmeade
@Post_Market
@IntrinsicInv

If anyone sees a glaring omission from list #1, let me know. I try to be picky about it. For example, very few accounts in list #1 have a high rate of re-tweets (only Joe Weisenthal, really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Sand Monster posted:

There’s usually rules against price manipulation but those have generally related to a small group of shareholders who own a significant number of a company’s shares doing stuff without the knowledge of the rest of the market, not an entire subreddit full of people doing something in full public view.