Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I wonder what Dexter would do to the Anti mask covidiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!
Dexter will neither be in Oregon, nor Miami come the new season.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

didn't MCH have increasing involvement in production and direction as the series progressed, suspiciously corresponding with dexter's evolution into an invincible superhero and the sheer drop in overall quality?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wasn't the shows core problem that MCH's ,at the time, enormously inflated contract in combination with the usual later season cuts starved the production? Off the top of my head later seasons recycled:

OST
Plot beats
Dialogue
Sets

Until the show was virtually a pastiche of itself.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Like how starved is a production for money when this made it into the final cut:

https://i.imgur.com/R0ievbn.mp4

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I never finished Dexter and feel pretty good about the decision. If I rewatch what's the recommended stopping point?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dignity Van Houten posted:

I never finished Dexter and feel pretty good about the decision. If I rewatch what's the recommended stopping point?

s2 or s4.

Everyone loves Lithgow in s4 but the rest of that season was hot loving garbage that he could barely salvage. Definitely a sign of things to come.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Season 2, unless you are a serious glutton for punishment or you want to understand the memes in this thread specifically.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

s2 or s4.

Everyone loves Lithgow in s4 but the rest of that season was hot loving garbage that he could barely salvage. Definitely a sign of things to come.

Yeah, my "I'm gonna watch Dexter from start to finish!" project crashed hard in season 6, and it was a real slog long before that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

s2 or s4.

The show has always been campy, no one can argue against that. At least the Trinity season pretended (better than anything past it) to have real stakes.

Plus that Thanksgiving dinner was tense as gently caress.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The end of season 5 was the first specific point I remember people turning on the show. S5 is...ok but the commitment to leading it absolutely nowhere in the finale is where it becomes officially a Bad Show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, watch Seasons 1, 2 and 4. They're the only good ones (and Season 4 doesn't suck, IMO).

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Seasons 1 & 2 are good and entertaining. S3 is bland and dumb. S4 is good and Lithgowe is great. S5 isn't as bland as S3, but it's unfocused and ultimately lame. Then it's a goddamned downhill slalom like you wouldn't loving believe.

I'm being incredibly generous.

I recommend you don't stop and live post.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Slamhound posted:

I recommend you don't stop and live post.

This is actually the best answer, really.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the miguel prado season is a sneak preview of all the truly stupid poo poo they end up doing in later seasons

it’s phenomenal

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thinking about the time Dexter kidnapped, murdered, and carried a corpse from an international airport.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

the miguel prado season is a sneak preview of all the truly stupid poo poo they end up doing in later seasons

it’s phenomenal

Season 3 was Freebo and the black SUV, right?

Hmmm...

Season 1: Campy and fun
Season 2: Even more true
Season 3: Black SUV
Season 4: We want more
Season 5: Dexter's still alive?!
Season 6: Narrator tricks
Season 7: A Bench from Heaven
Season 8: We all hate

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Season 3 was Freebo and the black SUV, right?

Hmmm...

Season 1: Campy and fun
Season 2: Even more true
Season 3: Black SUV
Season 4: We want more
Season 5: Dexter's still alive?!
Season 6: Narrator tricks
Season 7: A Bench from Heaven
Season 8: We all hate

Season 3 was Chicky Hines.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Slamhound posted:

Season 3 was Chicky Hines.

Yeah, but that doesn't rhyme. And I was kind of bummed when I found out that I couldn't put "Season 6: Old PI Tricks"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Remember when that last bad guy put spyware on someone's computer and Dexter was like "he tunneled into her computer... but tunnels work both ways" then he just typed something and reversed the spyware connection so so that he was spying on him instead

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I kind of liked season 7 tbh. But the problem was that it was all rise for a huge final season payoff that never happened.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

massive spider posted:

The end of season 5 was the first specific point I remember people turning on the show. S5 is...ok but the commitment to leading it absolutely nowhere in the finale is where it becomes officially a Bad Show.

Yeah, that's the exact moment when the show becomes irredeemable. They had the perfect opportunity to change up the status quo and do something interesting which they'd spent basically the entire season building to and then spat in your face and said 'gently caress you, status quo forever'. But then again, when they did go through with it in season 7 it was an abysmal failure so maybe there truly was no hope. I did enjoy season 5 up to that point though and I think that if you can make it to the end of that it's the best endpoint. Going farther than that is just masochism.

Also I did do a partial rewatch a few months ago and tbh a lot of the aggressively terrible subplots existed even in seasons 3 and 4, which surprised me. Especially season 4 was disappointing. Everyone remembers Lithgow being so great from that season but what they don't remember is every other character being dreadful. I'm pretty sure that every characters plot outside of Dexter vs Trinity is terrible that season.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I think it was because season 3 sucked and season 4 was a lot better that it's viewed as such. But better than garbage isn't that high of a bar objectively. Lithgow was pretty good though can't take that away.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, Clancy Brown has been cast as the villain.

I'm potentially legitimately excited.

Also there have been a few reports on MCH mentioning how much he didn't like the ending, but as with most people who only mention the ending and nothing else, holy poo poo, seasons 5-8 were terrible, each worse than the preceding one. :psyduck: How do you have a season like the Trinity killer and then almost all characters just lose their motivation afterwards?

When people like Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould mention that their writers really let the characters drive the story they're not kidding. In Dexter's case, it was Showtime's wallet that motivated that show to keep limping along. Otherwise, they'd have ended it with 5, maybe 6 seasons, and it'd be better remembered.

I feel like there are some Mr. Krabs jokes in the future. Especially if Dexter ends up killing him with a hammer. Someone can take the scene where he kills him and intercut it with when Dexter was smashing up crabs in the pilot.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i remember the going recommendation in the old thread was that if you are gonna watch up to season 4, watch the season 5 premier and then pretend that's the series finale

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Clancy Brown should just play The Kurgan with zero changes to his character.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dexter vs. Lex Luthor? Has potential.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Season 3 was somehow the first one I saw

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
First season I was in it for the concept, and it was good. Second I was in because I wanted to see what happened next, and it was alright. Third I was almost tuned out but was still watching for loyalty I guess. Then the show fell into a pattern where they'd cast a prominent actor I liked, so I'd watch just for that. Season 4 was "Oh, I like John Lithgow, I'll watch it." and then it was a much better season. Season 5 was "Oh, I like Jonny Lee Miller and Peter Weller, I'll watch it." and it was much less good. Season 6 was "Oh, I like Edward James Olmos, I'll watch it." and it still somehow managed to suck. I stopped there. I might have watched the first episode of S7 just to see how the cliffhanger was resolved, but I don't think I went any further than that. Good acting couldn't outpace the bad writing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

First season I was in it for the concept, and it was good. Second I was in because I wanted to see what happened next, and it was alright. Third I was almost tuned out but was still watching for loyalty I guess. Then the show fell into a pattern where they'd cast a prominent actor I liked, so I'd watch just for that. Season 4 was "Oh, I like John Lithgow, I'll watch it." and then it was a much better season. Season 5 was "Oh, I like Jonny Lee Miller and Peter Weller, I'll watch it." and it was much less good. Season 6 was "Oh, I like Edward James Olmos, I'll watch it." and it still somehow managed to suck. I stopped there. I might have watched the first episode of S7 just to see how the cliffhanger was resolved, but I don't think I went any further than that. Good acting couldn't outpace the bad writing.

The other guest stars that you missed out on were the dude who was in Spartacus (?) as a mobster in s7 (edit: Ray Stevenson as Sirko), and Charlotte Rampling in s8.

Psychopath, psychopath, psychopath!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1352788077262090241?s=20

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
I said this before but I’ll say it again. Stop watching after season 4. Lithgow was amazing.

As mentioned above, I literally ran into him after the season aired at a local deli place. He scared the poo poo out of me after that season. And to turn around after getting my chicken salad (which I didn’t use a knife to cut), and run into him was terrifying. He’s a huge man and I’m tall but his presence was incredible. Gone was the dad from Harry and the Hendersons. He’s a genius.

And again, stop after season 4.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Season 5 starts with promise as Zero Cool verbalizes Dexters inner monologue right to his face, but that stop quickly and as has been said, ends up going nowhere.

The season 4 finale is the perfect place to stop.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
IMO it's worth watching the first ep of S5 for the Mickey Mouse scene, but not one step further

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

First season I was in it for the concept, and it was good. Second I was in because I wanted to see what happened next, and it was alright. Third I was almost tuned out but was still watching for loyalty I guess. Then the show fell into a pattern where they'd cast a prominent actor I liked, so I'd watch just for that. Season 4 was "Oh, I like John Lithgow, I'll watch it." and then it was a much better season. Season 5 was "Oh, I like Jonny Lee Miller and Peter Weller, I'll watch it." and it was much less good. Season 6 was "Oh, I like Edward James Olmos, I'll watch it." and it still somehow managed to suck.

I think this sums up how a lot of people watched the show, they came for the niche concept and stayed for good performances or at the very least, recognizable names with a lot of promise. That's probably a big part of why people were so forgiving despite the show's many flaws, which were always there but easy to ignore initially. I only really noticed them upon rewatching part of the show after it had ended. So, I know I've said this before, but once more: the last season retroactively ruined the entire show. After seeing that whole train wreck of a season, the bad parts seemed so much more prominent, where before they were easy to ignore or just chuckle at and move past. I think my rewatches usually ended a few episodes into season six (I actually kinda liked how it started, with the whole "killer of the week" thing, before the god awful main plot got going - it was dumb, but at least it was fun), so if I had to recommend to someone where to stop, I'd say the finale of four, or five I guess if you can stomach how meandering it gets. But really, aside from John Lithgow's amazing performance in four, the show doesn't have much more to offer past season two, so that also works as a stopping point.

That being said, I thought seasons one and two formed a pretty good story arc, which is why I'm cautiously optimistic about this since it's supposed to just be ten more episodes and nothing more past that. And hey, even if it does suck, at least I'll get some laughs from this thread.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

JaddaCaddra posted:

I think my rewatches usually ended a few episodes into season six

I am now extremely curious how many times you have watched the first five seasons of Dexter.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

tk posted:

I am now extremely curious how many times you have watched the first five seasons of Dexter.

Actually watching? Just twice, one time being my initial watch and the other time being the rewatch a few months after the show ended to see if I could still enjoy that at least. But a couple of times in mid 2014 when I got tired of all my background noise stuff and didn't feel like watching something new, I put it on because it was the only familiar thing I hadn't worn out, and I usually don't like playing stuff I haven't seen just to fill the air. I didn't really watch it at that time so much as I tuned it out and very occasionally looked up from my computer to see what was going on, so calling those rewatches was a bit disingenuous on my part. But the fact that the last few seasons are so bad I couldn't even stand to have them on just to ignore them is probably an even better indicator of just how terrible they were.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've never re-watched any of the seasons but 1 and 2.

Mostly because I had them on DVD.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
More cast added:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dexter-enlists-jamie-chung-oscar-wahlberg-exclusive

Jamie Chung is a great addition.

Story looks like Dexter is in upstate New York, and gets pulled into local town issues. Probably battling with his desire to murder people along the way,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

What If the 70's Hulk tv show, but Dexter, and ever episode ends with sad music playing as he drags a black trashbag full of body parts along the highway towards the next town.