Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the whole AS thing seems kind of overblown to me as an outsider. it's probably not really what cost labour the 2019 elections unless you think london and environs are hotbeds of anti-semitism but the post-industrial heartlands in the North are just thoroughly horrified by the jew-hater corbyn. nor is it really why corbyn and the left were purged. the labour right purged them because they are the labour right and disagree with their politics, and AS was just an excuse. at best a few wobbly PMC types and media figures were persuaded that the anti-corbyn sentiment was horror at his antisemitism rather than horror at his policies, but the actual mechanics of corbynism's failure-- first, his failure to win in 2019, and then the anti-left purges of 2020-- had little to nothing to do with anti-semitism.

so why not just be pro-palestine when asked? my understanding is that a message of international solidarity fell flat with labour voters in the North because they saw it as leaving them behind to help Johnny Foreigner, but I don't think they are specifically more anti-palestine than anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'Antisemitic' also became code for 'Arab lover' which is probably one of the reasons it got so much traction with the aging white 'working class' lot too

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
one thing about AS is that the labour right clearly exploited a mechanism they found lying around are now increasingly jittery when they notice that they can't turn off the AS smear machine when it is used on them as well

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

multijoe posted:

'Antisemitic' also became code for 'Arab lover' which is probably one of the reasons it got so much traction with the aging white 'working class' lot too

that’s a good point, actually. I read a good postmortem which basically said that corbyn’s obvious central value is solidarity and universalism, and there’s a significant fraction of the labour base in the north that are just little Englanders driven into a rage at the idea that everything in the world does not belong to Britannia

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Corbyn had no chance of winning because no one could ever trust him to bring the pain.

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Corbyn had no chance of winning because no one could ever trust him to bring the pain.

Yes. The people wanted brexit. no matter the cost.

Now they have brexit taking bets on how long before they find another common enemy for their problems. (it will be whoever the left backs)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

crepeface posted:

but we're only complicit and tacitly supporting apartheid outside our borders!

it’s only outside because the empire is gone

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Cyril Sneeer posted:

Yes. The people wanted brexit. no matter the cost.

Now they have brexit taking bets on how long before they find another common enemy for their problems. (it will be whoever the left backs)

£10 on bringing back hanging

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think Ireland will be more owned by Brexit than England will be.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nonsense posted:

by the economic cost of unification?

maybe. I still think the rest of the EU might help a lot just as a gently caress you to England.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

£10 on bringing back hanging

Ah the next referendum that the tories promise to hold, intending to lose to kier

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nonsense posted:

If by 'owned' you mean we will own more of our island, then yes

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wrong thread but lol this is on topic now

how did left criticism of israel go in the 60s and 70s when they were in their long string of left-leaning governments? was there more dissent internationally or did the left not give a poo poo about kibbutzim in the wake of the naqba

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I wouldn't know first hand but I read a fair few leftists at the time were quite keen on kibbutzes.

Though obviously not the ones who supported Algerian independence and the like.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Dravs posted:

I dunno, it's almost like Germany feels it needs to be suuupppeeer careful around how people think they perceive Jewish people. How weird??

Also, Palestinians lost a lot of what sympathy they may have had here after Munich and Mogadishu.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

eating healthier to own the EU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Brexit was always a nefarious vegan agenda.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/PaulGrimshaw15/status/1352400970773389313?s=20

Hillary 2024 has issued a correction as of 00:23 on Jan 23, 2021

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Communist Thoughts posted:

Ah the next referendum that the tories promise to hold, intending to lose to kier

u know its gonna happen

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

namesake posted:

I am a principled leftist who believes in standing against all kinds of oppression except those kinds which are a bit far away or I don't quite have all the tools I would need to help. Better not show verbal solidarity with those kinds.

Do you want to win so you can help those people? Does speaking out and showing "verbal solidarity" materially impact their struggle? Does it materially impact yours?

I don't know the context but if the answer to the first is no and the second is "yes, but in a negative way" then you really shouldn't make verbal solidarity one of your core planks, IMHO.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

UnknownTarget posted:

Do you want to win so you can help those people? Does speaking out and showing "verbal solidarity" materially impact their struggle? Does it materially impact yours?

I don't know the context but if the answer to the first is no and the second is "yes, but in a negative way" then you really shouldn't make verbal solidarity one of your core planks, IMHO.

It's not a core plank but 'will you show support for an oppressed group even if there's no direct connection to votes in it for you' is a demonstration of actually holding principles and is a core means of saying to your base who you are also directly appealing to 'hey, I'm not just saying this stuff because there's something in it for me, these are all things I believe and will actively work towards'. It builds a narrative of integrity for the people and party, who will say and do the unpopular things because they really think it's the right thing to do no matter how hard it is. it also builds trust in your audience to go to bat for you in social environments when they don't know the parties exact policy on X but they know that they'll 'do the right thing' and can properly argue that it flows from core party principles rather than just chasing votes.

A constantly changing or completely subjective platform based around 'nice things' doesn't build any of that and doesn't motivate anyone but the most fickle and superficial voters to consider voting.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The secret is having a set of values and then acting consistently according to those values without trying to mindgame anyone.

Anything else means just giving the right-wing a free pass.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
420 free Palestine wasn't exactly the flagship policy of the 2017 or 2019 labour campaigns

even if you look at the manifesto its buried in among a bunch of other international things like the Yemeni/rohingya genocides, so I think any perceived over emphasis is possibly because it ties into the anti semitism poo poo

obviously the correct answer is to pretend these places don't exist in case you frighten the delicate middle englanders who definitely would have voted for the communist, racist, antisemitic pacifist terrorists in the labour party if they just hadn't been so spooked by the implication that human rights also apply to foreigners

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Zopotantor posted:

Also, Palestinians lost a lot of what sympathy they may have had here after Mogadishu.

lol wut? I think you mean Uganda.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 03:07 on Jan 23, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/oocmma/status/1352621184169472008?s=20
what can't brexit do!? truly the most powerful of phenomenons

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gently caress the bbc radio service for putting chuds on all week long whining about being silenced

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nonsense posted:

gently caress the bbc radio service for putting chuds on all week long whining about being silenced

silence of the hams

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Nonsense posted:

They have been literally censored by you doing this post. THe woke mob cant keep getting away with it

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

PawParole posted:

lol wut? I think you mean Uganda.

Lufthansa Flight 181

In Entebbe some Germans were on the other side.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

crispix posted:

i mean i can think of a reason why Germans would think differently about it

if you want more of a noodle scratcher, try to work out why Rangers fans are such huge fans of Israel

it's because israel is trying create an ethnically pure right wing state OP

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

How come weed legalisation hadn't made much ground over here?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Kaveman posted:

the UK is super conservative and drugs are for criminals

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kaveman posted:

The only voting block that matters is angry pensioners who own their homes and hate their kids.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Kaveman posted:

Because baby steps towards that goal (making it Class C) were reversed in the Brown years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_classification_in_the_United_Kingdom

Ed Balls listed the Class C classification as a mistake alongside The Iraq War! The most generous reading is that it's all electoral pandering, a sop to the tabloids.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/VictoriaLIVE/status/1053287512033103873?s=20

https://twitter.com/WritesBright/status/1352597757857566722?s=20

June is not sure who caused all her problems but they better fix them quickly

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I have no fish and I must bream

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I wonder if this is the year these guys remember Thatcher was actually pro-single market and retroactively become fierce Tory remainers carrying on her legacy after spending the last four years doing everything they can to burn it down

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Dorianlynskey/status/1352656377014005761?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

this is a very confusing time says man as obvious outcome occurs