Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

curly parsley is fine, esp in a chimichurri type situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

I would surf that turf (sorry). Holy hell.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Momofuku-ish bossam and some random stuff out of the fridge.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I liked the juxtaposition between the small plates of banchan and BIG HUNK OF MEAT.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Momofuku-ish bossam and some random stuff out of the fridge.
Are the front leaves in the top picture perilla and if so do you grow it yourself?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mystes posted:

Are the front leaves in the top picture perilla and if so do you grow it yourself?

Yep, that's perilla. I have grown it in the past, these were bought, though. It's pretty easy to grow, I just don't have any space for a grow light right now.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Sous vide ribeye and a baked potato.
That's no ribeye. That's a strip.

This is a ribeye.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

atothesquiz posted:

That's no ribeye. That's a strip.

This is a ribeye.

So it is!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Manager special teriyaki pork tenderloin, pineapple habanero+ponzu bonus marinade/glaze.
Canned pineapple rings
Snow peas
Half ripe avocado from the back of the fridge.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

vonnegutt posted:

the leeching can also be a good thing, iirc, I'm pretty anemic and have often been told to use a cast-iron pan for cooking so that I can absorb some of its power

Yeah there was that program about 10 years ago that distributed "lucky iron fish" to communities dealing with food-based iron-deficiency anemia, based on one tribe's cast iron cooking methods and a lack of anemia in that population.

https://luckyironfish.com/

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

angerbeet posted:

Yeah there was that program about 10 years ago that distributed "lucky iron fish" to communities dealing with food-based iron-deficiency anemia, based on one tribe's cast iron cooking methods and a lack of anemia in that population.

https://luckyironfish.com/

This still happens, I buy them every year for a professor who distributes them :)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chicken and squash with rice.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Hi thread, I don't really know much about food photography but this shot of dinner turned out kinda nice I think?

I can post the recipe if anyone's interested.

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

Hi thread, I don't really know much about food photography but this shot of dinner turned out kinda nice I think?

Have a shot of the plating?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Fritz the Horse posted:

brother are you a cow

are cows allowed to post?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

brother are you a cow

I'm guessing a horse, but I could be wrong.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

browsers castle posted:

Have a shot of the plating?

brother are you a cow

Maybe not the best lighting here. I forgot to take a better shot of the plating but you can see the dinnerware in the background below. The dark green matches the food pretty well I think.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

brother are you a cow

There is no rule that says a cow can't post

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

My uncle makes a mean deconstructed bale.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Fritz the Horse posted:

Maybe not the best lighting here. I forgot to take a better shot of the plating but you can see the dinnerware in the background below. The dark green matches the food pretty well I think.

Are you feeling alright? You look a bit under the weather in this picture. :ohdear:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Don't think of ants!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
my neighborhood izakaya had 馬刺し on the menu last night

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How was it?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I am jealous of the wonderfully fibrous BM’s you’ll be taking shortly :allears:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Went a little salmon crazy tonight. Haven’t made sushi in like a year, but considering that I’m pretty happy with how these came out.

Spicy salmon roll.

Avocado salmon roll.

Salmon nagiri (with a little too much rice).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

silvergoose posted:

How was it?

i didn't get it, it's always been greasy when i've had it before

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Curry soup, Singapore brand “la mian” with some shrimp and green onions to kick it up a notch.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Went a little salmon crazy tonight. Haven’t made sushi in like a year, but considering that I’m pretty happy with how these came out.

Spicy salmon roll.

Avocado salmon roll.

Salmon nagiri (with a little too much rice).

Huh, I've never considered sushi on a cutting board but it works pretty well. Sushi charcuterie. Well done.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

People keep talking about how great gochujang roast chicken is so I finally decided to try it last night. Definitely will be doing this one again.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Baked a couple sourdough loaves and tossed together some stuff for dinner last night.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Casu Marzu posted:

Baked a couple sourdough loaves and tossed together some stuff for dinner last night.

Oh drat, I wish I had that for the game today that looks fantastic.

Going to be making Buffalo chicken strips and (baked) homemade cheese fries today. First effort at making fries in a long time; I gave up a long time ago because my previous attempts came out more like roasted potatoes texturewise and were too crumbly. They were good but weren't really "fries."

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sheet pan dinner of gochujang chicken, butternut squash, brussel sprouts, and kimchi stuffing.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Ok, Fine. I want to make gochujang chicken. What is everyones go too recipe?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I would like to hear everyone's go chu recipe as well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm guessing it's the bone apple tea one https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken

Edit: I would like to add this Korean pan fried chicken recipe, it is fantastic https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nexpj7/korean-pan-fried-chicken-recipe

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm guessing it's the bone apple tea one https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken

Edit: I would like to add this Korean pan fried chicken recipe, it is fantastic https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nexpj7/korean-pan-fried-chicken-recipe

Start with this and tweak to your liking. We make it once a month in my house, and when you throw that carcass into a stockpot the next day you get an amazing broth for quick/cheating ramen.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I use the nyt one.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020829-sheet-pan-gochujang-chicken-and-roasted-vegetables

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

Ok, Fine. I want to make gochujang chicken. What is everyones go too recipe?

1) slather chicken with gochujang (thin with some rice vinegar and/or oil)
2) put chicken in pan over root vegetables
3) roast
4) stuff yourself with delicious roast chicken and root veg

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Slightly different recipe today:

This might fit better in the Kitchen Equipment thread but this bad boy gives me a really nice, consistent shred. Very portable and convenient. Rather high maintenance though, I have to replace the belts pretty often. Beats the heck out of a pitchfork!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

The Bon appetite one is what I used as well. Did it over carrots instead of potatoes and they were some of the best carrots I’ve ever had.

Really like the idea of using the stock from that for some ramen, may give that a go next time.

For some dinner content:
Last night I made some shrimp and grits following the recipe from Anson Mills. I’ve made their grits twice now and both times they’ve been good but still a bit firmer than I’d like. I think next time I need to crank the heat a little more and not do “the lowest possible setting” as they recommend.

On the bright side - the amazing sauce more than made up for the overly-firm grits.