Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
drat, when is the crossover, lets get Lina Inverse into space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

canepazzo posted:

I haven't planned that far ahead but yeah that one is on my list of stuff to look at very closely as we get nearer; haven't decided if I want to give them a bit of respite in between battles, or have them arrive at that point with a couple more levels under their belt.

Gods yeah. I have no idea in the world if they playtested that fight.

Gods I should play Pendragon at some point, it's so wonderfully OTT.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Belters Step Past Out Of Clear Revulsion

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Well, first it was the background setting for a 3 faction PVP MMO that died in development because the publisher realized competitive MMOs were a dying genre before investing too much. Then the setting got used in a home game, which was turned into a multimedia franchise.

Not that this sequence is any less 21st century.

Based on watching like two episodes, it also feels very much like it's borrowed heavily from the ~1980s novels CJ Cherryh wrote set in Alliance/Union, specifically Heavy Time and its sequel, Hellburner, which are in the earliest time period of that setting and use as background the tension between the belt miners, independent Mars, Earth, and the increasingly independent (but shouldn't be) navy.

:frogc00l:

Are you gonna like, do the shitwork of maintaining an index in there, or am I signing up for that?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Snooze Cruise posted:

They made that already, it was called Lost Universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYl1a3DOc44

Leperflesh posted:

Based on watching like two episodes, it also feels very much like it's borrowed heavily from the ~1980s novels CJ Cherryh wrote set in Alliance/Union, specifically Heavy Time and its sequel, Hellburner, which are in the earliest time period of that setting and use as background the tension between the belt miners, independent Mars, Earth, and the increasingly independent (but shouldn't be) navy.

:frogc00l:

Are you gonna like, do the shitwork of maintaining an index in there, or am I signing up for that?

I am happy to maintain some stuff on a weekly or monthly basis since I'm one of the sick freaks that actually looks at threads aside from my bookmarks list from time to time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Traveling CCircus thread has come to Trad Games! This is a thread for sharing your creative output with other goons from across the wide forums. Do browse it to see some of the cool poo poo people have made and done, and then please also feel free to post a sample of your (TG or non-TG related) creative stuff there!

I would definitely like to see stuff related to: RPGs, minis & painting, character artwork, and so on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

aldantefax posted:

I am happy to maintain some stuff on a weekly or monthly basis since I'm one of the sick freaks that actually looks at threads aside from my bookmarks list from time to time.

Sweet.

I mean I can do it because I have the POWER to EDIT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS but that is kinda rude and the Radium System does not actually preserve previous versions so it's impossible to recover what was overwritten etc. etc. so yeah if you feel up to it you can periodically maintain the first post, and if you run out of steam I can take over, or we can replace it, or whatever.

I'll go ahead and sticky that now.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Leperflesh posted:

Sweet.

I mean I can do it because I have the POWER to EDIT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS but that is kinda rude and the Radium System does not actually preserve previous versions so it's impossible to recover what was overwritten etc. etc. so yeah if you feel up to it you can periodically maintain the first post, and if you run out of steam I can take over, or we can replace it, or whatever.

Can you please go back through all my posts and make them good?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

theironjef posted:

Can you please go back through all my posts and make them good?

He said he could edit other people's posts, not perform miracles. Go easy on the man.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Leperflesh posted:

Sweet.

I give you permission to randomly append “butts” or something to my posts at your whimsy cause it’s funny.

butts

-sincerely, dwarf74

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 22, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

hyphz posted:

I find it very amusing that Reclaimer was written by someone with an infosec background.

I’ve wondered about a cyberpunk setting where an algorithm has been found that can subvert any computer that accepts input, full stop. Security is dead. But the tech companies don’t offer the masses any replacement for online banking or anything similar; they don’t get the blame for being hacked even now, and any time that might change, a few bungs to politicians (plus human personal account managers for them, of course) is much cheaper than retooling the systems back to the manual days.

It’s the old cyberpunk game “why would anyone use an X that could be hacked” embraced large, I guess.

I mean that was Shadowrun circa the 2030's in-setting, when the first cyberdecks were invented and nothing could keep them out, followed by a virus built on the same principals that ate the internet. Then the corps rebuilt the entire global communications grid to their own spec. That's happened in-setting a couple times now.

That said, the situation you describe isn't in the corps' interest. If infosec is dead, so is their ability to gain market advantage, and that's going to hit their bottom line. They may not pay for it being fixed but it would almost instantly destroy the idea of computer networking as they all balkanize onto their own internal networks that don't talk to anything else.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
There's a similar thing going on in the Rifters setting. The internet became so infested with self modifying viruses that nobody does any networking outside of airgapped, walled gardens.

In the third book of the trilogy, a character makes the mistake of briefly plugging her post apocalyptic survival van into the global telecommunications network. It's immediately hijacked by a murder virus that activates all the weapons systems and kills everyone in line of sights.

I don't remember if it's ever addressed why the network even still exists at all - who is maintaining the routers and transmitters whose only purpose is to transmit turbo-worms.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

DigitalRaven posted:

But shouldn't this post go in the thread for new thread ideas? So suggesting the thread for new thread ideas before the thread for new thread ideas exists is getting Gödelian up in here. The forum already has load-bearing bigotry, you can't expect it to handle ontological collapse as well.

I'm trying to remember where I saw it, but somewhere is a line about how "Transhumanism shows how advances in technology have the potential to change humanity. Cyberpunk shows how they don't."

It's by Stephen Lea Sheppard, who has this to say on it now.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mellonbread posted:

I don't remember if it's ever addressed why the network even still exists at all - who is maintaining the routers and transmitters whose only purpose is to transmit turbo-worms.

Probably the same kind of people who currently have ham radio licenses or whatever.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PerniciousKnid posted:

Probably the same kind of people who currently have ham radio licenses or whatever.

Or just go with "yeah it was set up to be highly resistant to disruption, and now still exists just because no one is gonna waste the resources to destroy the satellites, or find every broadcast tower and dismantle its super battery. Better to just ignore the old network, anything attached to it has long since fallen apart"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Coolness Averted posted:

Or just go with "yeah it was set up to be highly resistant to disruption, and now still exists just because no one is gonna waste the resources to destroy the satellites, or find every broadcast tower and dismantle its super battery. Better to just ignore the old network, anything attached to it has long since fallen apart"
I certainly can't think of any uses for an eternal nuclear battery in the post-apocalyptic hellscape. Pretty single-use technology right there, honestly.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nessus posted:

I certainly can't think of any uses for an eternal nuclear battery in the post-apocalyptic hellscape. Pretty single-use technology right there, honestly.

Probably for the best, the last time I went poking around one of those cool treasure vaults with a "This is not a place of honor" fake-out signs, all my teeth fell out.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
got to calculate falling velocity for acid spiders in gurps today and also found out a springy boy can leap 5 horizontal yards no problemo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mellonbread posted:

There's a similar thing going on in the Rifters setting. The internet became so infested with self modifying viruses that nobody does any networking outside of airgapped, walled gardens.

In the third book of the trilogy, a character makes the mistake of briefly plugging her post apocalyptic survival van into the global telecommunications network. It's immediately hijacked by a murder virus that activates all the weapons systems and kills everyone in line of sights.

I have a weird feeling the answer involves bitcoin

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I picked up the Alien RPG recently, and while I haven't been able to look close at the rules I gotta say I'm impressed not just by the presentation (though it's freakin' gorgeous) but how comprehensive it is. There's setups for multiple types of campaigns, plot hook generators for all of them, and enough information on the setting to support a lot of different kinds of games. I really wanna dig into it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PerniciousKnid posted:

I just remembered that in Final Fantasy 8, the internet is unusable because they trapped a mighty sorceress in an orbital tomb-prison and she's just hijacked radios and the internet to just be her angry shitposting everywhere.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tulip posted:

I just remembered that in Final Fantasy 8, the internet is unusable because they trapped a mighty sorceress in an orbital tomb-prison and she's just hijacked radios and the internet to just be her angry shitposting everywhere.

All this time I thought FF8 was bad, I guess I missed out.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The best reason to have warforged in any fantasy setting, is to have a villainous bard use their detached skulls to play Prototyperaptor songs while giving all of his minions combat advantage.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

PerniciousKnid posted:

All this time I thought FF8 was bad, I guess I missed out.

FF8 has a plot so threadbare as to be see-through but the worldbuilding is fantastic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Boba Pearl posted:

The best reason to have warforged in any fantasy setting, is to have a villainous bard use their detached skulls to play Prototyperaptor songs while giving all of his minions combat advantage.

Hard disagree. The best reason to have war-forged in any given setting is that they're really, really cool.. There doesn't need to be any other justification.

butts

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 24, 2021

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hard disagree. The best reason to have war-forged in any given setting is that they're really, really cool.. There doesn't need to be any other justification.

butts

Torso-mounted subwoofers for bardic songs. Hologram projectors behind the eyes for bardic knowledge checks.

Yep, they're pretty cool.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Y'all can just say robots are cool

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Xarbala posted:

That is what we're saying :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xarbala posted:

robots are not inherently cool, it's what you do with them

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
robots are cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel a theme that needs to be in cyberpunk more is what we're constantly reminded of in real life: the megacorps are not all-powerful and invincible, they are are hamhanded, unsustainable feudal oligarchies run by thin-skinned drug-addled useless failsons, managed by petty, incompetent nepotistic bureaucrats, and the people actually keeping them running are overworked, underpaid and constantly being cycled out to replace with desperate new blood. Corps WILL gently caress you over and stiff you just to save some more on the quarterly reports and assume you cease to exist the moment they stop being attention to you, especially since that money likely went to their ultra-cocaine budget. The fancy computers are all running on the equivalent of Radium code and fancy new technologies are rushed to market and abandoned when the CEO gets bored.

If you want poo poo that works, and isn't bloated to the gills with spyware and likely to start playing ads at you, you gotta make it yourself. Any supernatural agencies offering deals with the devil has every line of communication chock full 24/7. Make sure you're getting paid at least twice on a job, because at least one client is probably going to stiff you. Be nice to the receptionist, night janitors and code monkeys, because they are not being paid anywhere near enough for this poo poo.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Yawgmoth posted:

robots are not inherently cool

Boba Pearl posted:

robots are cool.

One of these posters always lies, one of these posters always tells the truth.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

CaptainRat posted:

Alas, the only question anyone ever asks them is 'are there stairs in your house?'

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CaptainRat posted:

I can answer this paradox with one example.

Detroit: Become Human had some really super lame robots.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger

Xiahou Dun posted:

butts

Robots are cool

Butts are cool

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Robotic Folksinger posted:

Robots are cool

Butts are cool
robutts

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nier Automata got really depressing after the first two "endings"

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Robotic Folksinger posted:

Robots are cool

Butts are cool

I love butts

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I will never understand how D&D, being the kitchen-sink of ideas and concepts that it is, has never bothered making an anthropomorphic canine race ever since the Lupin from like 2e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Azran posted:

I will never understand how D&D, being the kitchen-sink of ideas and concepts that it is, has never bothered making an anthropomorphic canine race ever since the Lupin from like 2e.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/gnoll