Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Am I missing something?

"I never thought they would eat MY face!" cries man who voted for Leapords Eating People's Faces Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

namesake posted:

The pre-assumption of this logic is that the Scottish area is different from any other group of non-Tory voting seats, like Greater Manchester and Liverpool which frequently votes uniformly one way and doesn't get that party into government.

That's not to say it's not valid but it has to be valid for some other reason. Just drawing a ring around a geographical region which votes differently from the bulk of the country isn't enough to legitimise them saying that that's meaningful enough for seperatism.

If Greater Manchester had had a popular independence movement for the last 50 years or so and regularly elected Mancunian Independence MPs then it probably wouldn't seem so outrageous - who knows, maybe the NIP will be there in a few decades. You don't have to like the SNP - we all know ITT that they're pretty poo poo - or think that Scotland out of the UK would be a good thing overall. But the SNP's entire raison d'être is Scottish independence and they've been the largest party in the Scottish Parliament since 2007 and returned the most Scottish MPs since 2015. That's about as legitimate as our parliamentary system can really get. I don't know what more you could ask for to legitimise an independence movement, the return of the Jacobite pretender and an armed uprising?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Ms Adequate posted:

"I never thought they would eat MY face!" cries man who voted for Leapords Eating People's Faces Party.

I think maybe you havent read the article?

But I've had a drink so maybe I've missed the key sentence or something?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Guavanaut posted:

I thought MyPillow was a joke about trumpkins and anime body pillows and trump waifus at first, but reality continues to be dumber than anything else.
We have such sights to show you.

Far-right nationwide broadcaster cuts from their coverage of presidential confidante and MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell calling for an insurrection to overturn the US election results to a sponsored advert of the same guy hawking his wares while wearing pajamas and hugging a pillow.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 24, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

namesake posted:

The pre-assumption of this logic is that the Scottish area is different from any other group of non-Tory voting seats, like Greater Manchester and Liverpool which frequently votes uniformly one way and doesn't get that party into government.

No, the assumption of this logic is that a Scottish independence movement exists in a meaningful way, with an active base in Holyrood to go from, where as a North Britain independence movement doesn't exist & can't be jumped on to get away from the Home Counties death cult. I'm not a Scottish nationalist, I just can't loving hack being part of this miserable union anymore. If there was an independence movement where every Tory UDI'd & hosed off to Sealand I would support that. But it doesn't exist so I can only work with what exists.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The last time I went to Glasgow I found a bottle of buckfast in a McDonalds toilet stall with the hinges kicked off it and 2 stogies snuffed out in the latrine

The last time I went to Birmingham I saw a dude making GBS threads in the middle of the street, 2 heroin junkies shooting up under a bridge and a dude with gold plated teeth drinking from a vodka bottle in the middle of a playpark

on balance, I prefer Scotland

quote:

Buckfast Tonic Wine is a caffeinated fortified wine originally made by monks at Buckfast Abbey in Devon

what the gently caress

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

what the gently caress

yeah i remember being pretty shocked by that too

if you want to know more about buckfast heres a good video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuKZWkgo098 - warning contains Stuart Cosgrove, the most pretentious scotsman in existence

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 24, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think maybe you havent read the article?

But I've had a drink so maybe I've missed the key sentence or something?

"We celebrated the Brexit deal with champagne over Christmas but when we woke up and realised that this car crash was happening, we thought, oh my God!"

If you don't think that's prime "You broke it, you bought it" then IDK what to say.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

"We celebrated the Brexit deal with champagne over Christmas but when we woke up and realised that this car crash was happening, we thought, oh my God!"

If you don't think that's prime "You broke it, you bought it" then IDK what to say.

Or he was really worried about the effects of a no deal Brexit on his business and thought things were going to be somewhat okay when a deal was signed at the last minute. It doesn't say how or why he voted.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I really like buckfast and I dont know what that says about me

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah, you don't get it.

If the article had a bunch of brexit supporters finally realised they were idiots, it would quote them saying "we voted leave". Theres a bunch of articles like that. This one doesn't.

It says that a person who quite absolutely rightly was worried about brexit thought getting a deal meant they wouldn't be hosed like they had worried.

But they got hosed. And now they have to fire people. People lose their jobs. We are hosed.

But idiots in here are so super keen to read and crow about someone they think they are superior to getting it wrong that they can't be bothered or aren't capable of reading and understanding what an article actually means.

You might not know what to say and that might be for the best.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Comrade Fakename posted:

Without Scotland, I’d say that we’d likely have Tory rule in the rUK for another couple of decades, probably until the boomers really start dying off en masse.

Good post otherwise but good lord what do you think the livespan of human beings is? Absolute gen x erasure itt

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

big scary monsters posted:

If Greater Manchester had had a popular independence movement for the last 50 years or so and regularly elected Mancunian Independence MPs then it probably wouldn't seem so outrageous - who knows, maybe the NIP will be there in a few decades. You don't have to like the SNP - we all know ITT that they're pretty poo poo - or think that Scotland out of the UK would be a good thing overall. But the SNP's entire raison d'être is Scottish independence and they've been the largest party in the Scottish Parliament since 2007 and returned the most Scottish MPs since 2015. That's about as legitimate as our parliamentary system can really get. I don't know what more you could ask for to legitimise an independence movement, the return of the Jacobite pretender and an armed uprising?

Bourgeois parliamentary systems are not particularly legitimate as they are centres for the ruling class to organise their own affairs but even in this matter it's not a real vindication. Tory parliamentary majorities in the UK are seen as signs of oppression while SNP parliamentary majorities in Scotland are seen as signs of liberation - that cannot be explained by bourgeois electoral logic and that is my point.

Scotland wants to be independent, that's fine and well within their right to want and to achieve it. My issue is one of enthusiasm - what does it change for the working class and how does it strengthen the international working class movement? Yearning for a more local bourgeoisie to ignore your needs is the same logic as inspired Brexit and fails to generate any real positivity towards it in me for the same reason.

forkboy84 posted:

No, the assumption of this logic is that a Scottish independence movement exists in a meaningful way, with an active base in Holyrood to go from, where as a North Britain independence movement doesn't exist & can't be jumped on to get away from the Home Counties death cult. I'm not a Scottish nationalist, I just can't loving hack being part of this miserable union anymore. If there was an independence movement where every Tory UDI'd & hosed off to Sealand I would support that. But it doesn't exist so I can only work with what exists.

As I said above, your desire for seperatism is legitimate and your desire for meaningful change inspiring but what is the connection between the two? The rhetoric is based around pouring deserved scorn on Westminster but then drops the ball with unspecific 'we can rule our own affairs better!'. Who is 'we' in this case? Without that being specified and meaningfully organised it'll be the SNP and Scottish capitalism and so it is hard to really see what is being achieved.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah, you don't get it.

If the article had a bunch of brexit supporters finally realised they were idiots, it would quote them saying "we voted leave". Theres a bunch of articles like that. This one doesn't.

It says that a person who quite absolutely rightly was worried about brexit thought getting a deal meant they wouldn't be hosed like they had worried.

But they got hosed. And now they have to fire people. People lose their jobs. We are hosed.

But idiots in here are so super keen to read and crow about someone they think they are superior to getting it wrong that they can't be bothered or aren't capable of reading and understanding what an article actually means.

His business is based in Ely. I'm pretty sure that alone makes him a oval office.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fellow was also quoted in the Observer article linked from the first article

"Moss said it was now clear that Brexit was not about winning back control from the EU but investing in it to survive."

And 'Winning back control from the EU' sounded like someone who had swallowed the Brexit bullshit wholesale, but maybe I just don't get it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Good post otherwise but good lord what do you think the livespan of human beings is? Absolute gen x erasure itt

If you think the vast majority of Generation X won't become dead-eyed Randroids worse than any boomer the second they inherit their parents houses then you've really not met many of them.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

??? There is a big age range for Boomers, but an average of mid-60s is fairly reasonable. That gives them about 20 years. Obviously their numbers will thin as time goes on, but without Scotland we’ll need way more of them to die.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Fellow was also quoted in the Observer article linked from the first article

"Moss said it was now clear that Brexit was not about winning back control from the EU but investing in it to survive."

And 'Winning back control from the EU' sounded like someone who had swallowed the Brexit bullshit wholesale, but maybe I just don't get it.

Maybe.

kingturnip posted:

His business is based in Ely. I'm pretty sure that alone makes him a oval office.

Brilliant. Thanks for that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah, you don't get it.

Someone a few pages back coined Brexitfreude. We're going to get a lot of that in 2021 whether warranted or not.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

namesake posted:

Bourgeois parliamentary systems are not particularly legitimate as they are centres for the ruling class to organise their own affairs but even in this matter it's not a real vindication. Tory parliamentary majorities in the UK are seen as signs of oppression while SNP parliamentary majorities in Scotland are seen as signs of liberation - that cannot be explained by bourgeois electoral logic and that is my point.

Scotland wants to be independent, that's fine and well within their right to want and to achieve it. My issue is one of enthusiasm - what does it change for the working class and how does it strengthen the international working class movement? Yearning for a more local bourgeoisie to ignore your needs is the same logic as inspired Brexit and fails to generate any real positivity towards it in me for the same reason.

Maybe I misunderstood, your last post seemed more like it was talking about drawing legitimacy from within the parliamentary system. If you're after abandoning that and ending bourgeois rule as a whole then of course that would be preferable - I'd imagine there are plenty of people here who're pro-independence because that's all that's on offer, but would rather just not have nation states at all. Your question of whether an independent Scotland is actually any better is reasonable and I don't know the answer. But I think, lacking a working class revolution, it's still a legitimate choice to consider.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah I know when something happens to me which is bad but could have been worse my first impulse is to crack open the bubbly

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its no surprise to me that you don't really have much experience of celebration.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

all Moss wants is honesty. “After everything, I just want somebody to tell me that Brexit is not about making Britain great again, not about empowering us, not about giving us back our sovereignty.”

I'll do this for a fee.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

stev posted:

Someone a few pages back coined Brexitfreude. We're going to get a lot of that in 2021 whether warranted or not.

Schengenfreude surely.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Maybe.

Brilliant. Thanks for that.

His business is based in a constituency that voted Leave.
He runs a small business - small business were more likely to vote Leave than Remain.
There's a loving quote from him with the same language used by every Vote Leave asshat whose words were ever recorded by a journalist on the subject of Brexit.

And yet, you remain unconvinced.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

??? There is a big age range for Boomers, but an average of mid-60s is fairly reasonable. That gives them about 20 years. Obviously their numbers will thin as time goes on, but without Scotland we’ll need way more of them to die.

I'm a boomer/x-er cusp depending on which definition of the generations you read.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Xoomers. Apparently the worst ever according to bad memes that assume that everyone is a white middle class American.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

What's it like to live in Ely?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I visited Ely the one time and my impressions were: lol this is not a city; why did they build this town on a swamp; I think Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers lives here?*

*apparently he doesn't any more, died of covid

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

what the gently caress

I've been to Buckfast Abbey.

Not a mention of Buckfast anywhere, like they'd memory-holed it. Except for a few bottles in the gift shop, in a corner.

Nice place actually, very well tended - lovely gardens

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Xoomers. Apparently the worst ever according to bad memes that assume that everyone is a white middle class American.

I can absolutely guarantee I was not born into wealth! Dad's annual income in the mid-late 60s was £800 at a time when the average income of a manual worker was about £1100 and we lived in tied accommodation. Eventually he did teacher training (when you didn't need a degree to do it) and was a teacher for a few years so was able to buy a house in 1971 and luckily he did because within a few months there was one of those ginormous increases in house prices which would have put it out of his reach for ever.

If it hadn't been for university grants (And yes, I am very lucky in that respect), I would never have been able to go to university.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you think the vast majority of Generation X won't become dead-eyed Randroids worse than any boomer the second they inherit their parents houses then you've really not met many of them.

This does raise the question of how much wealth in the UK is heritable, though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Shocking.
DVLA in Swansea - over 500 cases of covid, staff afraid to be named, told to turn off track & trace app so it doesn't ping, sickness absences (including covid) over 10 days triggering a warning.
Plus, of course (in linked article) DVLA management insisting worker health very important.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/23/minister-faces-fury-over-mass-covid-outbreak-at-top-government-agency

quote:

Ministers are at the centre of an explosive row over their failure to protect workers from Covid-19 as the Observer reveals the largest workplace outbreak of the virus has taken place at a top government organisation.

More than 500 cases have been recorded at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency’s offices in Swansea, where employees claim people with symptoms were encouraged to return to work while vulnerable workers have had requests to work from home turned down.

The revelation places the transport secretary, Grant Shapps, under pressure to explain how such an outbreak could have happened in an agency where the strictest workplace rules are supposed to apply.

A complaint received by Public Health Wales’s outbreak control team claims DVLA workers were asked to turn off their test-and-trace apps “so that their phones do not ping”.

It also says absences relating to Covid have been counted against workers’ sick leave, with anything over 10 days triggering a warning.

etc

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
How is it legal to give someone a warning over sick leave? What the gently caress.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

How is it legal to give someone a warning over sick leave? What the gently caress.

true all over the NHS too

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Used to be after 5 days in the railway.
I had an operation (private - paid for by NR insurance - I was rather ill and my GP was bloody useless 'it's your age deary') and was off for 2 weeks* and had to have a 'back to work' interview.

*should have taken a couple weeks longer but was too bloody driven by 'duty' and 'responsibility' and it was what ultimately culminated in becoming very sick with stress indeed following months and months of undiagnosed problem prior to operation and finally quitting work.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 24, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Maybe it's an entirely standard thing and I just never really noticed it in my employment contracts, but that all seems completely deranged. Just choosing to be ill for 9 days or fewer for my employer's convenience.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

One of the most stupid things is: if you are off for 3 days in a row, that's 'one instance' but if you are off for 3 separate days that's 3 instances (and the 'on report' conditions give a 'either x days or y instances' type kick in frame). No recognition that you might be 'soldiering on' and should probably have had 3 x 3 days instead of the 3 separate days! Also no recognition that for some women, period pain can be so crazy bad that having a day a month off is entirely understandable when you feel like your insides are doing their best to crawl out of the relevant orifice.

What was interesting, living in Egypt and knowing several Egyptian male managers, they had no qualms at all about authorising women's sick leave for periods and considered it perfectly acceptable!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Buckfast's grand. Please ignore the fact that I'm from the west of Scotland when I say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That was a night shift I'd rather not repeat. Moving a 20 meter piece of rail 60 meters with only 6 of us, a stress, changing sleepers, installing rail and shoveling 4 ton of ballast, first in sub zero temps then with heavy snow. Ballast is a pig to dig at the best of times but when it's been welded together by frost it's worse. My back is in pieces and I feel like I could sleep for a week. Think I'd happily drink a crate of Buckfast about now.