Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

PeterCat posted:

One criticism of Predator that I never understood was the idea that it was a ripoff of Aliens. Gene Siskel spouts this opinion in his review of the movie. I just don't see it, other than there are military men against an alien. The monsters aren't similar, they way they kill aren't really comparable and there isn't the body horror element present in Predator. It's such a weird complaint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXN0MeZKw88

They're using "ripoff" in that loose sense that of course one year after they had a big hit with a "military vs. aliens" action/horror hybrid the same studio was only all too happy to promote another one. The same way nobody would call 'The Thing' a ripoff of 'Alien' nowadays but at the time everybody knew what money the studio was chasing. Probably 'bandwagon jumper' would be a better term for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alien itself would never have happened had Star Wars not been a massive hit. As soon as studios saw that there was gold in them thar hills, they started digging up them ol' space movie scripts, which led to Alien getting a greenlight.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Young Freud posted:

Captain Dallas is also transgender, but his dossier is obscured or otherwise unreadable so we have to go off filmmaker notes to confirm that detail. The idea was that being trans was NBD in the Alien future and fairly commonplace and trans people were indistinguishable from cis people in societal acceptance and sexual function.

It also raises the question of why they're going around changing people's sex at birth, with some potentially horrific implications if, say, Lambert's parents simply wanted a girl and decided to have their baby physically customized. For most trans folks their experience is something akin to a birth defect, that you have an innate sense of your gender and can tell when your body doesn't match; the idea that parents would put their children into this type of dysmorphia on purpose for vanity reasons is both appalling and befitting the corporate dystopia the 'Alien' movies present.

On the other hand, it could be that they'd found a way to detect when an infant is born trans and the operation is meant as a benefit to the child, which at the very least has good intentions, but the way the profile speaks of potential "trauma" they have to be on the look out for makes me skeptical of that.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

They're using "ripoff" in that loose sense that of course one year after they had a big hit with a "military vs. aliens" action/horror hybrid the same studio was only all too happy to promote another one. The same way nobody would call 'The Thing' a ripoff of 'Alien' nowadays but at the time everybody knew what money the studio was chasing. Probably 'bandwagon jumper' would be a better term for it.

Sounds like these Siskel and Ebert clowns are kind of stupid.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

What’s weird about Ebert is he is generally a really great reviewer, but he has these weird fixed views on things and really digs in on them

Most famously he flat out refused to engage with the idea that video games can be art. games and gamers suck poo poo to be sure but to say there’s no art in them and just not budge on that at all is kinda weird for someone who could be so sensitive and thoughtful otherwise

another one i noticed in his review of A.I. (the spielberg movie), he just starts from the premise that there’s no way a machine/ai could think or feel, and then proceeds to rip on the film for being inconsistent or whatever because all the obviously emotional scenes were bullshit. like sure ok, maybe you believe thought and emotion is strictly human, but at least suspend your disbelief for 2 hours, it is your loving job after all. he doesn’t engage with the idea that it’s maybe interesting to think about motivation, emotion, intelligence from a different perspective

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ai-artificial-intelligence-2001

e. looks like he went back to it and reevaluated

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-ai-artificial-intelligence-2001

I used to be quite a fan of his until I read this review and it cooled me off on him. thanks for reading my ebert care post tapped out on my phone in bed

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

It also raises the question of why they're going around changing people's sex at birth, with some potentially horrific implications if, say, Lambert's parents simply wanted a girl and decided to have their baby physically customized. For most trans folks their experience is something akin to a birth defect, that you have an innate sense of your gender and can tell when your body doesn't match; the idea that parents would put their children into this type of dysmorphia on purpose for vanity reasons is both appalling and befitting the corporate dystopia the 'Alien' movies present.

On the other hand, it could be that they'd found a way to detect when an infant is born trans and the operation is meant as a benefit to the child, which at the very least has good intentions, but the way the profile speaks of potential "trauma" they have to be on the look out for makes me skeptical of that.
...you're doing a bit, yeah?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

You all are just no fun sometimes, I swear!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gentle Autist posted:

What’s weird about Ebert is he is generally a really great reviewer, but he has these weird fixed views on things and really digs in on them

Most famously he flat out refused to engage with the idea that video games can be art. games and gamers suck poo poo to be sure but to say there’s no art in them and just not budge on that at all is kinda weird for someone who could be so sensitive and thoughtful otherwise

Another thing to add to the "Ebert was cool and good" column

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

You all are just no fun sometimes, I swear!

You get way too deep into things that don't matter and we can't possibly know. It's 100% insane speculation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm sure it's been done to death but I picked up this bad boy today and one for my son's 10th birthday in the coolest covid 19 mask contest

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

maybe skimp on the mask budget a bit and get a better camera

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

maybe skimp on the mask budget a bit and get a better camera

Smart rear end. Sorry for having my phone on low settings. It's to further help obscure my ugly old face

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 11, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's an awesome mask. And yeah, looks like that picture was taken from my 2004 Kyocera flip phone.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

And yeah, looks like that picture was taken from my 2004 Kyocera flip phone.

I'll post a better one if anyone gives a poo poo. I just had my phone on low settings somehow. They were only nine bucks on Amazon so I consider it money well spent. My 10 year old is having an Alien themed Nerf Gun party for his birthday so I grabbed him one also so that's going to own.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll post a better one if anyone gives a poo poo. I just had my phone on low settings somehow. They were only nine bucks on Amazon so I consider it money well spent. My 10 year old is having an Alien themed Nerf Gun party for his birthday so I grabbed him one also so that's going to own.

You'd better tell them that you want rifles slung, flame units only. Have your kid collect all the Nerf guns, and hand out lighters and cans of hair spray.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, that looks like a photo taken on a $9 phone.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

All right now you fuckers are making feel bad about my lovely images instead of super cool with my bitchin mask.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

All right now you fuckers are making feel bad about my lovely images instead of super cool with my bitchin mask.

I thought your mask was cool as hell and I don't care that it's not pictured in 8k.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BiggerBoat was just staying in character with the type of low-resolution difficult to make out images you'd see on a big chunky CRT monitor in the original aliens films.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

BiggerBoat was just staying in character with the type of low-resolution difficult to make out images you'd see on a big chunky CRT monitor in the original aliens films.

:hmmyes:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Owlbear Camus posted:

I can respect this

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

See this guy here gets it and all of you failed to get my style. I wanted to write my post with green text on a black CRT monitor too but couldn't figure out how.

But really I just took some lovely pix but wasn't too worried about it since the thumbnails looked OK and I don't honestly mind getting made fun of over it

I've actually been crying in shame since yesterday and can't sleep

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BiggerBoat, where did you buy that mask?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I miss your old AV biggerboat.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You're just lucky this isn't a Robocop thread. It would've been taken over by the stereotypical Japanese corporation by now and you'd have to cut a finger off to atone.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Biplane posted:

BiggerBoat, where did you buy that mask?

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Facehugger-B...13151240&sr=8-1

Price went up though. I got 2 of them for $18 plus shipping.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I miss your old AV biggerboat.

Me too. I'll get it back. I angered some folks in the Schadenfreude thread I think and someone changed it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BiggerBoat posted:

I wanted to write my post with green text on a black CRT monitor too but couldn't figure out how.
Can we get the greenpos css applied to just this thread?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960070

We have competition guys we need to step up our game

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've been low-key shitposting there but all the :engleft: wanna talk about probability & the vast emptiness of space.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thank you for your service have this tweet as reward
https://mobile.twitter.com/lynnbixenspan/status/1364303812031361025

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960070

We have competition guys we need to step up our game

Seems to be more about aliens and not so much Aliens.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Splicer posted:

Thank you for your service have this tweet as reward
https://mobile.twitter.com/lynnbixenspan/status/1364303812031361025

Yeah the empty spookiness of space is bad but it would be much worse without Jonesy.

Watching Independence Day--why doesn't that lady just close the door the explosion is coming up pretty fast?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm sure it's been done to death but I picked up this bad boy today and one for my son's 10th birthday in the coolest covid 19 mask contest

Now that we’re done complaining about your image quality allow me to be the dick that says that’s not a mask that’s a bandana, which are often made to allow lots of airflow in and are not designed to stop particles of any kind. And if it gets moist it’s probably helping you catch diseases :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For all you Fortnite players out there, Ripley and the Alien are coming to Fortnite soon.

No, I’m not kidding.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

For all you Fortnite players out there, Ripley and the Alien are coming to Fortnite soon.

No, I’m not kidding.

missed the easy dad joke lay up

"Ripley is coming to Fortnite, believe it or not."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

No, I’m not kidding.

On the one hand, I guess this means we’ll have a whole new generation who can discover and appreciate Alien and Aliens.

On the other hand, ugh, gently caress off.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Now that we’re done complaining about your image quality allow me to be the dick that says that’s not a mask that’s a bandana, which are often made to allow lots of airflow in and are not designed to stop particles of any kind. And if it gets moist it’s probably helping you catch diseases :)

LOL

I'm increasingly sorry I ever posted the god damned thing. Jesus.

Let's run down the checklist here:

1. Apparently not even a mask
2. Relatively useless against Covid particles
3. Poorly photographed
4. Can't get it damp at all
5. Is cool and looks baller as gently caress

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

FRT best use for it is as a cool-looking cover to an N/KN95 if you're going into an enclosed space. Otherwise I can't lie to you about your chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Does he have your sympathies? (:smug:)