Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why does the headline call them truckers i thought that you chaps called them lorries and not trucks. shouldnt the people be lorry drivers or lorriers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

why does the headline call them truckers i thought that you chaps called them lorries and not trucks. shouldnt the people be lorry drivers or lorriers?

truck drivers drive lorries. Pricks drive pick-up trucks. pretty simple op

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/brexit-hit-firms-advised-government-officials-set-up-shop-in-eu?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

quote:

British businesses that export to the continent are being encouraged by government trade advisers to set up separate companies inside the EU in order to get around extra charges, paperwork and taxes resulting from Brexit

lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Jan 24, 2021

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

It's simple, they just like trucking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9lmCpIzhFo

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Heavy_D posted:

Because baby steps towards that goal (making it Class C) were reversed in the Brown years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_classification_in_the_United_Kingdom

Ed Balls listed the Class C classification as a mistake alongside The Iraq War! The most generous reading is that it's all electoral pandering, a sop to the tabloids.

That's 12 years ago now though. And in that time we've seen Portuguese decriminalisation, Canadian legalisation and several US states #legaliseit.

Plus you have constabularies around the country like in Co Durham where its effectively been decriminalised.

There was a little talk of it in 2018/19 wrt medical use that got a lot of sympathy in the press actually, I think the majority of people would support it especially if they push the tax angle.

K9
May 6, 2007

Kaveman posted:

That's 12 years ago now though. And in that time we've seen Portuguese decriminalisation, Canadian legalisation and several US states #legaliseit.

Plus you have constabularies around the country like in Co Durham where its effectively been decriminalised.

There was a little talk of it in 2018/19 wrt medical use that got a lot of sympathy in the press actually, I think the majority of people would support it especially if they push the tax angle.

If I recall correctly, the Durham chief constable said something like he wasn't going to aggressively prosecute people growing their own at home. In no sense has it been decriminalised there.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I'm reminded of how Somali pirates became a thing because European boats were dumping their waste off-shore and over-fishing in Somali coastal waters, forcing fishermen to turn to piracy.

That'll be you guys soon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Its time for a 21st century Francis Drake.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Anyone unironically using that idiot M*GA slogan deserves to be destroyed.

Get thee to a mummery.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I hope this new wave of pirates wear the right costumes and say the right things

the sea shanty meme going about is a good start, but if the next pirates don't start dressing up like Captain Hook and going yo-ho-ho and all that poo poo, their credibility'll be ruined

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Venomous posted:

I hope this new wave of pirates wear the right costumes and say the right things

the sea shanty meme going about is a good start, but if the next pirates don't start dressing up like Captain Hook and going yo-ho-ho and all that poo poo, their credibility'll be ruined

I'd be OK with captain haddock style ranting, blistering barnacles those @&#!&%!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I'm reminded of how Somali pirates became a thing because European boats were dumping their waste off-shore and over-fishing in Somali coastal waters, forcing fishermen to turn to piracy.

Can't wait to see my dream of the Spanish Armada invading Britain and converting the heretics to Catholicism finally realized, delayed by mere 430 years.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kaveman posted:

The tax angle doesnt work on the government though cause
A) they don't want the government to have money, they want themselves and their friends to have money
B) themselves and their friends already grow weed in the UK for export to other countries so make money off the crop anyway

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55783805
51% of NI want a referendum on Irish unification in the next 5 years.
Unification itself polling at 47/42 against, but 47/46 in favour among under-45s

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

bitterandtwisted posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55783805
51% of NI want a referendum on Irish unification in the next 5 years.
Unification itself polling at 47/42 against, but 47/46 in favour among under-45s

When trade goes to poo poo again in April because companies still haven't gotten the paperwork right or stop going to NI to avoid the paperwork I'm sure that'll go up a few more points.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Venomous posted:

The stereotypical pirate accent is just how people from the South West talk (or talked a few generations back I guess, it's a bit less pronounced these days) so you may be in luck.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Brexaneers of the British Seas

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

i say swears online posted:

https://www.politico.eu/article/1-in-3-europeans-say-us-cant-be-trusted-poll-donald-trump-joe-biden/

Eighty-one percent of Britons, 71 percent of Germans and 66 percent of the French said the U.S. system is broken.

tough but fair, limeys

tough call when your own government is head up by a peso monarchy who has a serious case of end of the Han dynasty vibes rn

Internet Poster
Nov 1, 2020

the fish must brexit, must be forced to brexit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Truniht posted:

tough call when your own government is head up by a peso monarchy who has a serious case of end of the Han dynasty vibes rn

Which dynasty collapse was that again?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

B) themselves and their friends already grow weed in the UK for export to other countries so make money off the crop anyway

this is interesting, could you expand on it?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

i say swears online posted:

this is interesting, could you expand on it?

Government ministers and their mates own massive corporate cannabis farms.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Can't wait to see my dream of the Spanish Armada invading Britain and converting the heretics to Catholicism finally realized, delayed by mere 430 years.

"Spanish forces convert all Tory MPs to Catholic priests, rates of pedophilia goes down, somehow."

The Atomic Man-Boy has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Jan 24, 2021

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I was planning to order a shroom grow kit from the Netherlands, something I've done many times in the past.

Now I'm thinking it's going to ship via the UK, needing a customs declaration of the contents, then another customs declaration to ship from the UK to Ireland. Probably not worth the risk.

There also seems to be a shortage of good weed round here since Christmas. I'm going to arbitrarily blame that on Brexit too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Brexit means

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Nonsense posted:

Brexit means

adequate

pain

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

with the UK's number 1 (and only) aircraft carrier, piracy has never been easier!

that is assuming they got the aircraft catapults working and the thing isn't still a glorified and very heavy paperweight

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Falcorum posted:

with the UK's number 1 (and only) aircraft carrier, piracy has never been easier!

that is assuming they got the aircraft catapults working and the thing isn't still a glorified and very heavy paperweight

It doesn't have catapults. It would have cost as much as an entire new carrier to convert them to cat and trap so they didn't bother

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
That's why it's F35 only

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well there's your problem it needs to run on goddamn steam

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Shear Modulus posted:

well there's your problem it needs to run on goddamn steam

Yeah but gently caress Gabe and gently caress Valve.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gonadic io posted:

That's why it's F35 only

not true!

they can operate helicopters too

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

hobbesmaster posted:

not true!

they can operate helicopters too

We do actually have helicopters also, a very good point.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Falcorum posted:

Even better is there are two of them.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It will take me an huge amount of evidence to convince me that the aircraft carriers are not actually justified as militarised getaway vehicles for the royal family and ruling class in the event of revolution. They are utterly useless for any other goal other than armoured lifeboats for the ruling class.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

namesake posted:

It will take me an huge amount of evidence to convince me that the aircraft carriers are not actually justified as militarised getaway vehicles for the royal family and ruling class in the event of revolution. They are utterly useless for any other goal other than armoured lifeboats for the ruling class.

They're less well suited to that particular task than basically any other surface warship lol.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Tulip posted:

They're less well suited to that particular task than basically any other surface warship lol.

They can have multiple kinds of aircraft landing on them as well as other ships so they can easily be reached no matter what, they're large enough to have big private quarters fenced off from the rest of the crew, they sound impressive enough to get the ruling class to buy into evacuating to an aircraft carrier rather than fleeing in the night in some minor destroyer or whatever. They wouldn't be doing anything except sailing to the USA and demanding they invade the UK to put them back in charge - it's exactly what they need.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

juan gammón

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
checking in to say living in the UK is like that bit in stAr trek discovery where they tell the lady from the evil universe that her evil universe has been drifting away from the prime universe and shes stuck in prime universe.

Except I'm not stuck in prime universe.

kicks forts has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Jan 25, 2021