Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Camrath posted:

Three or four inches here, and still going.

Remember to see a doctor if it lasts over two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Remember to see a doctor if it lasts over two hours.

Over six already, and it’s getting very firm to the touch..

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So another spike in Covid coming?
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/24/snow-brightens-uk-landscapes-but-covid-precautions-still-necessary

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Camrath posted:

Over six already, and it’s getting very firm to the touch..

It feels nice to squeeze - it's got just the right texture.

Might throw some balls around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It should be quite difficult to get covid from snow given that it normally only occurs outside.

Also what loving part of the country is this it's bright sunshine outside.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's been slowly building, but yeah, theres been a flurry lately. Especially poo poo like this wonderful irregular verb

When I rename things for political reasons its defending my culture, when you do it its virtue signalling wokery.
Broke: Liberty Street
Woke: Sir Hiram Hindoostabber VC QC Boulevard

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Covid's lipid bound, right? Shouldn't that make it moderately vulnerable to ice crystals?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VCQC is a much worse band.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like how the having a road somewhere named after a military hero is somehow going to make "diversity crescent" go away

Also, I hope there's an "Equality Street" somewhere because c'mon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Exclusive single free with every Express: VC/QC - Thundersnow

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Pencils R Cool posted:

Is it just me or has the use of 'wokery' increased tenfold in the Gutter Press in the last few weeks? Did Gammon Churchill-Shagger get bored of namby pamby Elf N Safety? Genuinely never even heard the word used in real-life.
I remember back around 2009, one of the faceless right-wing think-tanks in London forgot to properly copy-edit their regurgitated Republican pablum, and put out an anti-tax screed saying that the people of Bicester were fed-up with overreach by the federal government. It's not usually that egregious, but the turnover of the Presidency has absolutely given the US right their talking points, and we're buffeted by the backwash.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

It should be quite difficult to get covid from snow given that it normally only occurs outside.

Also what loving part of the country is this it's bright sunshine outside.

Same. It's nice and crisp and sunny out up here.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cefte posted:

I remember back around 2009, one of the faceless right-wing think-tanks in London forgot to properly copy-edit their regurgitated Republican pablum, and put out an anti-tax screed saying that the people of Bicester were fed-up with overreach by the federal government. It's not usually that egregious, but the turnover of the Presidency has absolutely given the US right their talking points, and we're buffeted by the backwash.

We export our transphobia, so it's only a fair swap.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like how the having a road somewhere named after a military hero is somehow going to make "diversity crescent" go away

The houses have been getting smaller on there for years.

namelesstwo
May 7, 2007
the uber joker
As someone not from the UK l, I’ve heard said many times that the tories will not allow another referendum for Scotland to leave the uk.

What’s to stop the Scottish parliament from just calling one, and then leaving to rejoin the eu?

Highly doubt bojo would invade Scotland for exercising their rights.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

namelesstwo posted:

As someone not from the UK l, I’ve heard said many times that the tories will not allow another referendum for Scotland to leave the uk.

What’s to stop the Scottish parliament from just calling one, and then leaving to rejoin the eu?

They can't. Its not a devolved power. All the saber rattling is just empty rhetoric and always will be. The tories know they got away with it last time and would never allow it to happen again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

They can't. Its not a devolved power. All the saber rattling is just empty rhetoric and always will be. The tories know they got away with it last time and would never allow it to happen again.

If the Tories were clearly going to lose a General Election to a genuinely left-wing party (lol) and the only way they could get enough seats was to agree a Confidence & Supply deal with the SNP in exchange for a new referendum, I could see it happening.
Better to gently caress over the rest of the country than face the prospect of paying more tax

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
There's been some stories today about Sturgeon calling a wildcat referendum and defying Boris to take it through the courts but he can just ignore it so I don't see that happening. What might happen is the SNP going to court to gain the right to hold the referendum.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

serious gaylord posted:

I'm surprised the tories actually give a gently caress, surely there's some way Jacob can profit out of privatising Scotland.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

namelesstwo posted:

They could absolutely hold a referendum off their own backs but it wouldn't be legal and Westminster could ignore it/disrupt the process as happened in catalonia. But obviously legality isn't the be all and end all. If the vote happened anyway and Scotland then decided to start acting as an independent country regardless with Holyrood setting itself up as the sole legit government, the outcome would depend entirely on England's response. If they came down violently there's not much Scotland could do, but whether they would isn't certain. But England could decide it isn't worth the unrest (and there would be unrest), because honestly the whole place is a liability for the conservatives outside of one or two constituencies.

kingturnip posted:

If the Tories were clearly going to lose a General Election to a genuinely left-wing party (lol) and the only way they could get enough seats was to agree a Confidence & Supply deal with the SNP in exchange for a new referendum, I could see it happening.
Better to gently caress over the rest of the country than face the prospect of paying more tax

This is very unlikely. Whatever the SNP leadership's actual ideological position their entire PR strategy is built on 'gently caress the tories'. If they were seen to prop up the conservatives it would alienate a huge chunk of their voters.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 24, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

I'm surprised the tories actually give a gently caress, surely there's some way Jacob can profit out of privatising Scotland.

charge 100% duty on exports of Bucky

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

serious gaylord posted:

Not strictly the case:

1. The Scottish Parliament is absolutely allowed to hold a 'consultative' referenda on anything that it wants. Of course a consultative referendum is not legally binding and Westminster can choose to ignore the result. The last consultative referendum we saw in the UK iirc was the 2016 referendum on European Union membership, which the UK government decided that 51% was an overwhelming mandate to leave and then triggered the legal process to do so.

The difference with the Scottish Parliament calling a consultative referendum and the Catalan situation was that the legislature in Catalonia was not legally permitted to hold such a vote, and thus the police moved in an attempt disrupt the voting process. The Catalan government then attempted to declare a UDI following the referendum, which was not recognised internationally, and the Spanish government then jailed Catalan ministers for sedition. The Scottish government on the other hand would be legally able to hold a non-binding referendum, though any attempt to declare independence unilaterally would not stand up in law.

2. The UK government could attempt to challenge any Scottish referendum in court, though it is up for debate whether it would actually have a case. The Scottish Government may for example cite the Claim of Right which is part of the 1707 Acts of Union, and puts limits on the power of the Royal prerogative in Scots law. This was last used in court most recently as part of the case against the prorogation of parliament in 2019 and was ruled non-justiciable in that case, though could be argued as part of any case where Westminster choses to block legislation already enacted in the Scottish parliament.

The UK government also has treaty obligations under the Acts of Union (which is most definitely an international treaty between two sovereign states), breaching those could potentially lead to the matter being settled at the ICJ. Decisions at the ICJ are still of course non-binding on states, however it would look poor of the UK government to ignore.

edit:

It's also often said that any attempt for the Scottish government to UDI would not be recognised internationally. I fully agree that this would have been the case in 2014. However since the 2016 EU referendum the UK government has spent its time making GBS threads on treaty obligations and its closest allies. We've threatened to starve the Irish, send gunboats against French fishermen, and breach a treaty signed mere weeks before. Could well be that international opinion has shifted less in favour of the status quo.

There is NATO of course, and states would not likely want to rock the boat by recognising a Scottish UDI. Although the new US president is in the 'RA...

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 24, 2021

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

namelesstwo posted:

The EU (and most of the world) won't recognise a unilateral declaration of independence from Scotland so no EU membership.

I mean the likelihood is that if the SNP runs their own referendum, which the Tories will say is a reserved matter and illegal, they will take the issue to the courts rather than declare independence as there are some arguments that a purely consultative referendum to inform the Scottish governments policy making decisions could be possibly legal if it doesn't claim to end the union by its results.

So the aim would be less UDI now and more deliberately prying open a massive argument about the powers given to the Scottish Parliament and the reliance on the will of Westminster on reserved matters

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think maybe you havent read the article?

But I've had a drink so maybe I've missed the key sentence or something?

I think you missed this:

quote:

. “We celebrated the Brexit deal with champagne over Christmas but when we woke up and realised that this car crash was happening, we thought, oh my God!"

e:f,b

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 24, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The Tories could certainly make the case that any unilateral referendum held by the Scottish Government would be invalid as some unionists would definitely loudly boycott it as illegitimate - if the result is anything less than 50% of the whole electorate, not just 50% of those who voted, in favour of independence then it's enough muddying of the waters to make things very complicated (I have absolutely no idea how it would go in court, but it's the sort of bluster and bullshit that would be mothers milk to the press).

I could even see the UK granting an independence referendum on that sort of basis (i.e. they'd need 50%+1 of the electorate) knowing that good old-fashioned inertia would do the trick, and it could even be argued there's something to that way of doing it except of course it makes voter suppression a shitload easier and more productive.

Also while a lot of nationalists see EU membership as a given, I wouldn't be quite so sure, and can *definitely* see a requirement for a hard border with the rUK that would be even more disastrous for the Scottish economy than the NI hard border is (NI at least have the Republic to trade with). Yes, it would be just as painful for the rUK but the Tories loving love sticking hand grenades up their own arses in the hope that the splash damage might hurt The Others.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

All the roads on the new estate near me are named after local soldiers who died during the first World War. You can tell this because it says so on every single loving road sign.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I could even see the UK granting an independence referendum on that sort of basis (i.e. they'd need 50%+1 of the electorate) knowing that good old-fashioned inertia would do the trick, and it could even be argued there's something to that way of doing it except of course it makes voter suppression a shitload easier and more productive.

Considering how the UK won't even commit/quantify about what criteria they would use to hold the Boarder Poll in NI, and how they wouldn't quantify what the Brexit vote would entail, I think it is a big stretch to imagine that they would go into a Scotish Referendum with a plan.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Somehow we need to get to see the original Forde report:

https://www.prole-star.co.uk/single-post/forde-report-rewritten-to-protect-the-guilty

quote:

Forde Report 'Rewritten To Protect The Guilty?

The findings of the Forde Inquiry into last year's leaked Labour report have been rewritten and watered down in order to protect high-profile figures within the Labour Party, it has been alleged.

The Prole Star has received information from a source within Labour, who claims that the report's original draft implicated several prominent figures including at least one current Shadow Cabinet member in the bullying, racism and sabotage within the party detailed in the leaked report. Rather than laying the leaked report to bed, it is alleged that the Forde findings showed even worse behaviour, some by people who have subsequently been paid off to settle court action.

etc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

It's also often said that any attempt for the Scottish government to UDI would not be recognised internationally. I fully agree that this would have been the case in 2014. However since the 2016 EU referendum the UK government has spent its time making GBS threads on treaty obligations and its closest allies. We've threatened to starve the Irish, send gunboats against French fishermen, and breach a treaty signed mere weeks before. Could well be that international opinion has shifted less in favour of the status quo.

Not to mention that Holyrood can point at the COVID death rate and the hijacked PPE shipments from last year and say with a straight face that the Tories are killing their own people.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

quote:

at least one current Shadow Cabinet member
Was actually shocked Jon Ashworth wasn't named in the version we saw, guess this explains it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Not to mention that Holyrood can point at the COVID death rate and the hijacked PPE shipments from last year and say with a straight face that the Tories are killing their own people.

And to close the circle, the reason for the #resignsturgeon thing that kicked off the Scottish argument/discussion was a report (of unknown provenance) that Scotland is lagging massively behind in vaccinations - does anyone know if there's any truth to that and if so what the reason is?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

There is NATO of course, and states would not likely want to rock the boat by recognising a Scottish UDI. Although the new US president is in the 'RA...

The recognition of a UDI is less about individual countries relations with the UK and more about said countries broad foreign policy positions - recognising a Scottish UDI conducted outside of internal constitutional channels would have pretty significant international ramifications.

There's countries that will never move on the issue (Spain ain't moving) and the legal arguments put forward in reaction to the Crimean issue makes it extremely unlikely any supranational bodies are gonna do a volte face to accept it if UK courts rule it unconstitutional

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And to close the circle, the reason for the #resignsturgeon thing that kicked off the Scottish argument/discussion was a report (of unknown provenance) that Scotland is lagging massively behind in vaccinations - does anyone know if there's any truth to that and if so what the reason is?

Sturgeon said on Marr this morning that they prioritised care home residents which takes longer to achieve but now that's almost finished (90 something percent complete Vs 70 something in rUK) they're catching up in the wider population.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Hey I had a comment removed by the Graun because 'it did not abide by community standards' - it was something (with no swear words) about the Graun being worse than the Telegraph, Mail and Express because you knew they were right wing but the Graun pretends to be left but is really centre right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1353443929991991297?s=20

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Lungboy posted:

Sturgeon said on Marr this morning that they prioritised care home residents which takes longer to achieve but now that's almost finished (90 something percent complete Vs 70 something in rUK) they're catching up in the wider population.

Think she said 95% yeah. Makes a lot of sense. Don't just push for raw numbers. Make sure you get all the most vulnerable people covered and then move on.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lungboy posted:

I also noted that she's apparently been told by the UK government not to publicly disclose the volume of vaccines we got. On the one hand, yeah, you dont wanna incite panic due to scarcity, but even that hypothetical reason feels like a convenient excuse to hide Scotland getting a disproportionately smaller volume and then being rumoured to be behind the rest of the UK.

There was also something on after Marr saying that Scotland almost eradicated the Covid strains we had last summer but people leaving and coming over the border with England brought new strains in. If true, maybe a hard border wouldn't be so bad if it ended up interfering with the distribution of stupidity.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 24, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, basically, Scotland can't secede unless the Tories offer them the chance?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

*a french person sweating in front of two buttons that say "fascisme"*

Seriously if Melenchon was able to get through I feel like most of Macron's support would go to Le Pen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

idk why but i'm feeling extreme melancholy about what we lost with corbyn tonight, having not thought about it much in months. obviously it was not perfect and some of it was poo poo and cringe but for a moment i saw the beach beneath the pavement my friends. and they loving stole it from me.