Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blue Moonlight posted:

I’m enjoying it, but I suspect it’ll end up suffering the same fate as Marvel’s other MCU-adjacent TV series - it’ll be supplementary, and thus inconsequential.

I think a lot of hay has been made over these new TV ventures being “part of” the MCU, versus the leftovers thrown Agents of SHIELD and the scattershot references made in the Netflix stuff. But I don’t think anyone honestly believes this is “required viewing” to understand anything that’ll hit a movie theater.

It's directly tied to the Dr. Strange sequel and is supposed to help set it up. The D+ Marvel shows are definitely not just going to be supplemental and Marvel's made that pretty clear at this point.

Part of why Falcon and Winter Soldier hasn't aired yet is apparently because it's tied into the eternally delayed Black Widow movie and a major character from that is a part of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cryomancer posted:

The vast majority of rap music isn't really music, and none of it deserves the respect it's given. I WON'T discount it being art, but it isn't music. Just like how musique-concrete isn't either. There should be a different word for "noise art." gently caress rap music.

wow a time warp has brought a post to us from the year 1995

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cryomancer posted:

The vast majority of rap music isn't really music, and none of it deserves the respect it's given. I WON'T discount it being art, but it isn't music. Just like how musique-concrete isn't either. There should be a different word for "noise art." gently caress rap music.

Are you from the year 2002? You have to go back! Warn everyone about Covid, and Trump, and Obama! You can still fix this world!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There is some good rap music.

There is no good grime or garage music

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i'll agree that a lot of rap is bad although rap is one of my favorite genres of music

i don't like rap that focuses on "clever" turns of phrases or lyrics in general, the lyrics should just sound good with the background melody and convey a strong sense of mood or emotion

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm super into recycling, so I'm a big fan of rap because they've been using the same TR-808 loops for decades.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

i don't like rap that focuses on "clever" turns of phrases or lyrics in general, the lyrics should just sound good with the background melody and convey a strong sense of mood or emotion

Lyrics in rap are more important than in other kinds of music. But I kind of broadly agree with you (I think) in that the importance of lyrics in music is usually over-stated.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Women's clothing looks way nicer than men's clothing

Yeah, but men get pockets

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

Lyrics in rap are more important than in other kinds of music. But I kind of broadly agree with you (I think) in that the importance of lyrics in music is usually over-stated.

as a kid back when i didnt really understand english well enough to know what they were saying i loved rap, just because i could get the gist of what was being said well enough from the general tone and cadence of the voices

now that i can understand every word i don't feel it really adds anything, even if it had turned out they were just saying random gibberish the songs wouldve still worked

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
British rappers all sound ridiculous. What are you going to do, stab me?

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Animal-Mother posted:

Yes, I think so

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t like the music of Grant Kirkhope. The Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack is basically unlistenable

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

agreed but dutch rap sounds good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t49c0cj2fHM

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t like the music of Grant Kirkhope. The Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack is basically unlistenable

everything about rareware sucks rear end and always has

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

everything about rareware sucks rear end and always has

Jet Force Gemini was fun as hell even if I never beat it. :colbert:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Jet Force Gemini was fun as hell even if I never beat it. :colbert:

it was all bad seriously

yes including killer instinct and goldeneye and the other games people like, it's all really really bad

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Grime has very nice beats. It's great for being hyper.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Vandar posted:

It's directly tied to the Dr. Strange sequel and is supposed to help set it up. The D+ Marvel shows are definitely not just going to be supplemental and Marvel's made that pretty clear at this point.

I’m pretty skeptical that Feige will release a film to the theaters that requires you to watch five hours of a show featuring the least developed Avengers characters in order to make sense. My guess is that it just tees up Wanda as being someone who can manipulate the multiverse, and after two minutes of exposition in his movie, Strange is either tasked with reining her in or teaming up with her. In short, the show will be enriching, but not required viewing.

But I’m hoping I’m wrong, and you’re right. MCU-adjacent ventures suffered from having to play on the fringes.

Vandar posted:

Part of why Falcon and Winter Soldier hasn't aired yet is apparently because it's tied into the eternally delayed Black Widow movie and a major character from that is a part of the series.

Now this I totally buy, because they don’t want to spoil their movie. Though my potentially unpopular opinion there is that they should just cut their losses and do a Mulan-style release for it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, but men get pockets

Pockets in actual clothing are vastly over rated. I've destroyed a few pairs of pants from carrying just a phone and wallet in them regularly.

Space comrades will be issued with bum bags on request.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Men’s clothing is better because men are better, obvs

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I cannot imagine keeping up with the marvel universe even when it was just a million movies, now there’s gonna be multiple shows too?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's not that hard to watch one new movie every few months.

So far there's been like...twenty-three movies spread out over 10ish years, that doesn't seem hard to keep up with at.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The thing I don't get about things like wandavision is they are trying to make mostly irrelevant characters a thing. Yeah they're part of the avengers and can do some stuff, but they're mostly background to the overpowered ones like thor and dr strange etc. Like guardians of the galaxy I enjoyed, but at the end of the day they're just some aliens with guns, just like captain america and spiderman and ironman are just juiced up regular humans with technology but they don't really do much. If all you had was thor and strange and the hulk I don't think any of the events in the movies would have changed. I guess vision is kind of powerful but most of what I remember from the movies is him just being kind of annoying and whiny most of the time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I cannot imagine keeping up with the marvel universe even when it was just a million movies, now there’s gonna be multiple shows too?

They are made to give the illusion of needing to watch everything while still being easy enough to follow if you haven't.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It is 100% bad and getting worse with the one exception of Legion season 1 which I guess is not really a part of the MCU

So there's no need for anyone to keep up with any of it is what I'm saying. If only more people were turned off by the whole thing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Scarlet witch is op as gently caress. Honestly the idea of a sitcom playing off the traditional fifties model with reality getting warped around it sounds interesting, but it's tied into the MCU which is quite possibly one of the dullest collection of movies ever created.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You can keep up via memes, very little of any importance happens in any of the movies, by design. The "marvel universe" idea is there to sell more tickets and subscriptions to people who identify as fans.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Remember in avengers endgame where scarlet witch just freezes Thanos and then was about to rip him apart while he was totally powerless? Why doesn’t she just do that every time to everyone?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The thing I don't get about things like wandavision is they are trying to make mostly irrelevant characters a thing. Yeah they're part of the avengers and can do some stuff, but they're mostly background to the overpowered ones like thor and dr strange etc. Like guardians of the galaxy I enjoyed, but at the end of the day they're just some aliens with guns, just like captain america and spiderman and ironman are just juiced up regular humans with technology but they don't really do much. If all you had was thor and strange and the hulk I don't think any of the events in the movies would have changed. I guess vision is kind of powerful but most of what I remember from the movies is him just being kind of annoying and whiny most of the time.

Who cares about how powerful the characters are if the show or movie is entertaining?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

Who cares about how powerful the characters are if the show or movie is entertaining?

It would be more entertaining if I didn't have to constantly ask "wait who's that now?". There are too many characters that exist solely so they can make more spinoffs/origin stories.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I really enjoyed following the MCU all the way from when I saw Iron Man 1 in theaters, but Infinity War just capped it off perfectly for me and none of the things after The Snap have been nearly as interesting or fun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It would be more entertaining if I didn't have to constantly ask "wait who's that now?". There are too many characters that exist solely so they can make more spinoffs/origin stories.

Ah, you're a dad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end calls Game of Thrones "That show with the little man and the pretty blonde girl"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

oldpainless posted:

Remember in avengers endgame where scarlet witch just freezes Thanos and then was about to rip him apart while he was totally powerless? Why doesn’t she just do that every time to everyone?

She did that (or a weaker version of that) to Vision in Civil War.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She did that (or a weaker version of that) to Vision in Civil War.

I thought that was her loving with Vision’s density control to make him to heavy to move.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, I really stretched my literary horizons getting through Tom Bombadil and wanking about how pretty not-Yorkshire is. Tolkien can write, but mistaking it for particularly literary is only a short-leap from those nerds who think parsing Lovecrafts paid-by-the-word adjective soup makes them smart. Like Lovecraft, I think its okay to enjoy adaptations more than the source with LotR. And also Dune.

Gandalf the White is literally Pickle Rick. That's why we of low IQ don't "get" it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Cryomancer is probably trolling, but "noise art" is a pretty cool way to describe music in general.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

men's clothing is way more comfortable than women's clothing and itd be nice for everybody if we could all just agree to wear only men's clothing
Have you ever worn a skirt? Nothing better in warm weather.

Shibawanko posted:

the stigma surrounding sweatpants and backpacks is just a way to keep people from being comfortable and relaxed, wearing loose fitting men's clothing
Backpacks are incredibly practical, but absolutely not comfortable.

Elissimpark posted:

Pockets in actual clothing are vastly over rated. I've destroyed a few pairs of pants from carrying just a phone and wallet in them regularly.
I carry my keys, phone and wallet in my pockets every time I leave the house. I think I've maybe worn through the pockets of one pair of pants in the last decade?

The thing I don't get about things like wandavision is they are trying to make mostly irrelevant characters a thing. Yeah they're part of the avengers and can do some stuff, but they're mostly background to the overpowered ones like thor and dr strange etc.
I've seen some of the MCU movies, but not the one(s) with Wanda and Vision in them. But based on the first three episodes of the TV show, they seem to basically be able to do anything? What can Thor do? He's strong and can fly? So can they. Also they can alter reality on a whim.

The clear examples of irrelevant characters are Hawkeye and Black Widow. One's really good with a bow and arrow, the other's good at gymnastics. Go compete in the olympics or something, you have no place among these gods and wizards.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

yeah I eat rear end calls Game of Thrones "That show with the little man and the pretty blonde girl"

no thats me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my dad called darth vader "the robot who sighs a lot" and i think this is good parenting. a father shouldnt acknowledge fictional characters