Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

They really almost struck gold with the orc personalities and politics in shadow of war but it's largely sidelined by what they think we really want from a lord of the rings game, swordfights and prophecies and elf poo poo. I kept getting sucked deep into taking over the orc chart until I'd hit a wall and have to go do storyline poo poo before I could kill the next guy up the ladder and it was always a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Tom Bombadil's Farming Simulator

Sarumans Farming Simulator

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

crusader kings of mordor

Barudak posted:

Tom Bombadil's Farming Simulator

it's a rhythm game

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

There should be a moratorium on crafting in games so developers relearn to stop relying on it as a gimmick and put more actual game into their games.
I got maybe 2hrs a week to game I can't grognard like I used to.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Shibawanko posted:

it should start out like hot coffee or those god of war sex minigames where you're basically mashing buttons to gently caress, but halfway in it's giant spider time and you have to use similar button mashing minigames to escape from her with your pants on your ankles as she chases you down a tunnel

I wish this tangent didn't make me think of dark souls

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

frogge posted:

There should be a moratorium on crafting in games so developers relearn to stop relying on it as a gimmick and put more actual game into their games.
I got maybe 2hrs a week to game I can't grognard like I used to.

Really dislike and try to avoid most crafting systems. Reminds me of pixel hunting in old adventure games to search around for a bunch of bullshit in the corners of rooms or whatever. I actually prefer just having useless junk in games that have no point then having a crafting system

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shibawanko posted:

it should start out like hot coffee or those god of war sex minigames where you're basically mashing buttons to gently caress, but halfway in it's giant spider time and you have to use similar button mashing minigames to escape from her with your pants on your ankles as she chases you down a tunnel

Idgi why would you quit after she turns into spider form

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tribal Rival posted:

Shadow of mordor doesn't hold up.

it was inefficient to play in a way that doesn't end in decapitating every enemy, so you can't even engage in the rival system if you're playing at all well

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

site posted:

Idgi why would you quit after she turns into spider form

let's not beat around the bush here: nobody really wants to gently caress a giant spider

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

let's not beat around the bush here: nobody really wants to gently caress a giant spider

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Anime will gently caress anything. It doesn't count

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

This would have made a good challenge for the deviantart thread, but I just noticed it's gone. I'm sure someone there could have done better than spider centaur things.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Icochet posted:

Wanna play as gollum. You move the same way as Alien in AvP and it's an open world collectathon but you only look for one item

I have bad news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFYCR1G2n9k

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Cuphead was kinda good at first, but my problem with it is that I don't really see a reason to keep beating my head against a wall. For some reason it gets compared to dark souls a lot, I guess cause they're both hard, but the thing with dark souls and games like that is after beating a boss you get to progress in the story and get the next environment to explore and that's its own reward. i dont get that in cuphead. feels just like a bragging rights game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its_my_birthday posted:

Cuphead was kinda good at first, but my problem with it is that I don't really see a reason to keep beating my head against a wall. For some reason it gets compared to dark souls a lot, I guess cause they're both hard, but the thing with dark souls and games like that is after beating a boss you get to progress in the story and get the next environment to explore and that's its own reward. i dont get that in cuphead. feels just like a bragging rights game.

to get more weapons and stuff and see what the other bosses look like

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As Sakurai tells it, he was inspired to make Smash Bros by when he completely thrashed someone at King of Fighters who turned out to be on a date with his girlfriend and he felt bad about possibly ruining their night out.

Imagine being so good at video games that you prevented someone else from getting laid

This is the real Dark Souls

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I play fighting games like a monkey plays a typewriter.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I love how MK11 lets you pin combo input sequences to the screen so you can mix them into your standard button mashing without having to memorize poo poo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

a gritty gollum reboot where down-and-out gollum hunts for bilbo while coming to terms with significant events from his past

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

PinheadSlim posted:

Lmao I just asked how people in the SA thread for War Thunder how they deal with Nazis in game and one of the first responses I got was "It doesn't effect gameplay so ignore it"

As a rule gamers are incredibly hostile towards any morality being involved in games. Sexism? Shut the gently caress up I like the bikini armor. Workers rights? Shut the gently caress up I'm enjoying this new map. Companies preying on gambling addicts? Shut the gently caress up the game is free.

As far as dealing with racist/sexist/transphobes/Nazis/etc.I see two effective options but both need a critical mass to accomplish anything. Call that poo poo out, peer pressure works. Put pressure on companies, oh you aren't doing poo poo to deal with these Nazis? Okay I'm not buying your cosmetics/playing your game. As an individual though I certainly get the idea that you should just ignore it because really that's what you as an individual can do. Gamers are poo poo.

edit: Well at least the vocal gamers which isn't even a majority.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 25, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Duck and Cover posted:

As a rule gamers are incredibly hostile towards any morality being involved in games. Sexism? Shut the gently caress up I like the bikini armor. Workers rights? Shut the gently caress up I'm enjoying this new map. Companies preying on gambling addicts? Shut the gently caress up the game is free.

Spending even ten minutes in Games makes it obvious this is not the case. Some gaming communities care about these things a lot, some don't give a poo poo (or actively support some Bad Things), most are in between. Much like everything else in the universe.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah it really is historic themed multiplayer games that really suffer from that poo poo. It makes Call of Duty on xbox live seem absolutely quaint in comparison.

For example while playing War Thunder I started noticing a huge uptick in super racist usernames against black people and posted about it in the War Thunder thread. I was told it was stupid to expect Russian gamedevs to ban racism against black people and to maybe not play online games if I didn't want to see racism and not even one person argued against them lol.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 25, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

Spending even ten minutes in Games makes it obvious this is not the case. Some gaming communities care about these things a lot, some don't give a poo poo (or actively support some Bad Things), most are in between. Much like everything else in the universe.

Spending even ten minutes playing any (okay not any but you get the idea) game with chat makes it obvious that this is the case. I thought I was clear but when I say gamers are poo poo that doesn't mean every person who plays games is poo poo. Maybe I should have said popular (or at least most vocal) gamer culture is poo poo?

Also of course it varies from game to game based on how heavily moderated it is average player age, genre etc.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 25, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh, well yeah sure I guess. I dunno most communities seem alright when I'm them. But I don't play many big multiplayer titles anymore, or they're on console so no chat anyway.

But yeah if you, like, go into a random Mordhau sever holey moley what a cesspit lol.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah it really is historic themed multiplayer games that really suffer from that poo poo. It makes Call of Duty on xbox live seem absolutely quaint in comparison.

For example while playing War Thunder I started noticing a huge uptick in super racist usernames against black people and posted about it in the War Thunder thread.

the europa universalis/crusader kings/hoi community seems to have a bit more of a nazi problem than most other genres as well. or maybe just a more open one.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

PinheadSlim posted:

I was told it was stupid to expect Russian gamedevs to ban racism against black people and to maybe not play online games if I didn't want to see racism and not even one person argued against them lol.

This is not a thing that happened and I'd genuinely like you to quote a post where you think it did.

You got two responses, one telling you to just report it but that Gaijin's moderating sucks, and another telling you to ignore it, and then you had a weird meltdown where you told everyone to gently caress themselves and now people are just laughing at how weird that was.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Earwicker posted:

the europa universalis/crusader kings/hoi community seems to have a bit more of a nazi problem than most other genres as well. or maybe just a more open one.

I have to say Im not a fan of these games with my tiny brain but i have to assume anyone with half a brain could see that coming tbh.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ArchRanger posted:

This is not a thing that happened and I'd genuinely like you to quote a post where you think it did.

You got two responses, one telling you to just report it but that Gaijin's moderating sucks, and another telling you to ignore it, and then you had a weird meltdown where you told everyone to gently caress themselves and now people are just laughing at how weird that was.

The one about racist usernames was a separate from months ago but sure I'll go dig it up

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

PinheadSlim posted:

The one about racist usernames was a separate from months ago but sure I'll go dig it up

So you're angry that people didn't have context about a post months removed from today?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pinhead are you making cross forum drama for no good reason? ....

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ArchRanger posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821747&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=305#post506783034

Flannelette posted:

Pinhead are you making cross forum drama for no good reason? ....

It was really more backing up my claim that historic gamers are cavalier towards racism, and that it even happens on Something Awful. It stemmed from a genuine discussion about how lovely it is to play historic multiplayer games but if it's really "no good reason" then I'll drop it lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Earwicker posted:

Grand strategy gaming in general has that problem. Most of these games contain the genocidal nonsense that nazis love

Tabletop war gaming too

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Bioshock has never been an immersive sim. It's always been a just setpiece corridor shooter with rpg-lite powers

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

So you got one flippant response half a year ago and used it to smear the goons who play the game as being okay with nazis. Cool.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

feelix posted:

Bioshock has never been an immersive sim. It's always been a just setpiece corridor shooter with rpg-lite powers

Yeah I never really got the hype. I thought it was funny that Infinite was torn to shreds for not being as great as the first one but it didn't feel like that large a jump down imo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah I never really got the hype. I thought it was funny that Infinite was torn to shreds for not being as great as the first one but it didn't feel like that large a jump down imo

It's not that it was a large jump down, it's that it was a pretty low bar to clear, and they failed to do so. While having effectively infinite cash on a known IP whose general outline is already sketched out.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Bioshock 1 and 2 have one of the best environmental aesthetics around and the enemies are very very cool and creepy. I wish the gunplay was better and that the story went somewhere more satisfying.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
holy poo poo is the uncharted franchise racist. it's creepy how 'man with dark skin' or 'woman with accent' is shorthand for 'these are the bad guys'. I guess Nathan Drake shooting at Blackwater PMC's would be a little too on the nose.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 25, 2021

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I've been playing this RPG Outward with my friend and it's really fun. It is not fun if you play alone, but real fun with a friend. It reminds me of Risen and Gothic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
Skyrim falls apart after one really good playthrough. Anything above level 40 is an absolute slog. It's good for one SUPER good play and then it's kinda spent and more is a waste, kinda like cocaine.