Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

anakha posted:

I'm a couple of hours into I Am Setsuna

congrats you've seen all of I am Setsuna already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's probably some more identical sounding piano music they haven't heard yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was having fun with Yakuza 7 until I got to this underground dungeon and it sapped my entire will to play. Everything about how they handled the combat system sucks so much. The enemies shuffling around randomly, very few actual interesting choices to make turn to turn. Bleh. They tried to invoke Dragon Quest but DQ had way better gameplay than this.

Shame because I loved everything else about it but I dunno if I can bring myself to stomach this any more. I'd rather just buy a cheat DLC or something at this point.

It is obscenely long and as I was playing it I was more and more blown away by it. 'They really took us allllllllll this loving way and chained us up on a room at the end of it?!'

It really should've been truncated before they made it into a grinding spot later on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Algus: Human? Hmph, ridiculous! From the minute you were born you had to obey us! From the second you were born you were our animals!!
Miluda: Says who!? That's nonsense! Who decided all this?!
Algus: It's the Will of Heaven!
Miluda: Heaven? God would never say such things! In his eyes, all are equal! He'd never let this happen! Never!
Algus: Animals have no God!!

vs: (WotL)

Argath: You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!
Milleuda: By whose decree!? Who decides such foul and absurd things?
Argath: 'Tis heaven's will!
Milleuda: Heaven's will? You would pin your bigotry on the gods? No god would fain forgive such sin, much less embrace it! All men are equal in the eyes of the gods!
Argath: Men, yes. But the gods have no eyes for chattel.
I'll level. The 'gutter' line in the psp version is good but 'animals have no god!' is such a strong, punchy line that not having it kinda ruins the scene. plus algus comes across completely different in both versions. the psx translation has the final line be a quick declaration - he's yelling it at her with finality. The PSP translation seems more like a calm rebuttal, like it's a reasoned debate. In a vacuum both are valid but given Algus's importance in the plot is rushing off to go kill some commoners and shooting Delita's sister just because he thinks he might hit the guy who's holding her, him coming across less reasoned and more firm and angry makes sense.

This isn't nostalgia, I played FFT PSP first.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PSX FFT has a few amazing lines, like "Blame yourself, or God." It's biting and to the point. WotL comes with "Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I." which doesn't have the sharpness, but it comes of just as effectively in my opinion.

Another really good exchange I could find online was:

Algus: Human? Hmph, ridiculous! From the minute you were born you had to obey us! From the second you were born you were our animals!!
Miluda: Says who!? That's nonsense! Who decided all this?!
Algus: It's the Will of Heaven!
Miluda: Heaven? God would never say such things! In his eyes, all are equal! He'd never let this happen! Never!
Algus: Animals have no God!!

vs: (WotL)

Argath: You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!
Milleuda: By whose decree!? Who decides such foul and absurd things?
Argath: 'Tis heaven's will!
Milleuda: Heaven's will? You would pin your bigotry on the gods? No god would fain forgive such sin, much less embrace it! All men are equal in the eyes of the gods!
Argath: Men, yes. But the gods have no eyes for chattel.

Both are good, but I think the new translation better sells Argath/Algus as who he is. But it's completely subjective which you like more.

e: I forgot another line that was pretty great on both:
PSX: Surrender or die in obscurity.
WotL: Lay down your arms or die clutching them! None will mourn your passing.

Unfortunately the PSX translation has a lot of inaccuracies in it. And weird parts like when the party is just saying Sand Rats at each other, instead of actually describing what the clue meant. And a couple parts where the text is directly counter to the events that actually occur. And when it starts talking about St. Ajora and going through his bible, it veers away from sensical.

I appreciate how vulgar the new translation for that Argath scene is despite the flowery prose. Also that they organically worked in a spoony bard reference. But um yeah that is a bit wordy, although it def doesn’t help that it’s being compared to the PSX script. Iirc there’s actually a retranslated script on GameFAQs, maybe that’s secretly the perfect translation (prolly not)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Last Celebration posted:

I appreciate how vulgar the new translation for that Argath scene is despite the flowery prose. Also that they organically worked in a spoony bard reference. But um yeah that is a bit wordy, although it def doesn’t help that it’s being compared to the PSX script. Iirc there’s actually a retranslated script on GameFAQs, maybe that’s secretly the perfect translation (prolly not)

For what it's worth the PS1 lines in that particular part at least seem largely accurate to the original Japanese. You could make arguments for certain words choices or whatever of course but that's nothing unusual for any translation.

quote:

アルガス 「同じ人間だと? フン、汚らわしいッ! 生まれた瞬間からおまえたちはオレたち貴族に尽くさねばならない! 生まれた瞬間からおまえたちはオレたち貴族の家畜なんだッ!!
ミルウーダ「誰が決めたッ!? そんな理不尽なこと、誰が決めたッ!
アルガス 「それは天の意志だ!
ミルウーダ「天の意志? 神がそのようなことを宣うものか! 神の前では何人たりとも平等のはず! 神はそのようなことをお許しにはならない! なるはずがないッ!
アルガス 「家畜に神はいないッ!!

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 25, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

algus is like, unhinged. that's his whole deal. he's a literal Avatar of Feudalism with all of the neuroses of the system bundled up in his dumb little head. gonna say that there should be emotion present in his scenes

totally apart from the translation, i've always loved how this dweeby looking kid that in any other game would be your first major character recruited is instead responsible for a solid half of the plot by being a huge shithead. his portrait is so extremely coded as "sidekick" but his role is anything but

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 25, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I feel like he’s more just straight up the “I’m not owned! I’m not owned! I continue to shout as my noble status continues to dwindle away” meme writ large. He constantly asserts himself as better than the baseborn trash because he’s really not much better than them; other nobles like Zalbaag don’t constantly assert themselves as better than commoners because the disparity is crystal clear at a glance.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I wish Sting finished Gungnir.

ive watched enough mecha anime that i can deal with an unfinihsed story or two

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I kinda want to play Wild Arms XF again. I don't remember much other than it being surprisingly difficult and having a cool dog.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Argath/Algus's PSP lines sound pretty cool spoken in FFXIV, though they're just sound-bites and not the whole speeches.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hogama posted:

Argath/Algus's PSP lines sound pretty cool spoken in FFXIV, though they're just sound-bites and not the whole speeches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9vSVr-xsNU

I AM REVELATION

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gujian 3. Where can I find a description of what my active abilities are/do?
I've got four of them and they seem to involve waving my sword in slightly different ways, but I'm not sure of the exact effects.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kanfy posted:

For what it's worth the PS1 lines in that particular part at least seem largely accurate to the original Japanese. You could make arguments for certain words choices or whatever of course but that's nothing unusual for any translation.

The Japanese sounds way more punchy than the PSP translation and I like it better.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Animals have no god is a kick rear end line.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like both of those final lines, really, but I'm forgetting the context (as in, when exactly in Chapter 1 this conversation takes place) so it's hard for me to judge which one is the better line for that point in the game. "Animals have no God!" is certainly punchier, but "Men, yes. But the gods have no eyes for chattel" is cold as ice.

In general, though, I think the WotL translation suffers from trying to be like an Alexander O. Smith script without actually having him on staff. He's much better at that type of language than the localizers for WotL--for example, the FFXII and Tactics Ogre: LUCT scripts. He also knows when not to use it. He translated FFTA and FFTA2 and neither of them really do the floweriness that FFXII does, for example, despite also being Ivalice games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I still stand by my belief that the slowdown is unnoticeable if you've never played the game, if nobody points it out to you.

I dunno about slowdown but I quit the PSP version after a few levels because the pace was unbearably slow in general. Every action felt like it took 5 times as long as it should.

The PSP Tactics Ogre remake didn't have this issue.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 25, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m on the side where I don’t think the PSP translation is bad and definitely came with improvements, but lost a ton of the impact.

There’s a reason why people can still quote the original from memory but I can’t think of a line from the PSP version without having to look it up. I have a undergrad degree in English and did study Shakespeare a bit so I’m not adverse to flowery language, but even then he had some drat fine lines that relied on having a solid punch. I think that’s what the PSP translators glossed over, that it’s fine to expand and fluff things up, but you still need to know when those lines need to hit to make a point.

For example “Now is the winter of our discontent” in Richard III is a great line. Sums up a lot of feelings but in a very direct way and easily quotable. FFT PSP translators kind of ignores that Shakespeare did great punchy lines as well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh if you wanted to keep the whole "chattel" thing you could just as easily cut out the "men, yes. but" part and just have him say "The gods have no eyes for chattel." lets you keep it flowery but without losing the punch, and it even makes the line come off even colder. the scene already established earlier that he only sees them as chattel anyway so there's no need for him to clarify so much in his response, that's why the old line worked

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Black Stones posted:

There’s a reason why people can still quote the original from memory but I can’t think of a line from the PSP version without having to look it up.

Okay but not enough people bring up that the rest of the translation outside of those few lines is like legit not good or mistranslated, which is constantly glossed over.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The Colonel posted:

tbh if you wanted to keep the whole "chattel" thing you could just as easily cut out the "men, yes. but" part and just have him say "The gods have no eyes for chattel." lets you keep it flowery but without losing the punch, and it even makes the line come off even colder. the scene already established earlier that he only sees them as chattel anyway so there's no need for him to clarify so much in his response, that's why the old line worked

That's fair.

Harrow posted:

I like both of those final lines, really, but I'm forgetting the context (as in, when exactly in Chapter 1 this conversation takes place) so it's hard for me to judge which one is the better line for that point in the game. "Animals have no God!" is certainly punchier, but "Men, yes. But the gods have no eyes for chattel" is cold as ice.

But I really agree with this and I think it actually reinforces Argath constantly pointing out the "divide" between them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tae posted:

Okay but not enough people bring up that the rest of the translation outside of those few lines is like legit not good or mistranslated, which is constantly glossed over.

how is it being glossed over when people mention it every two posts

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dang, I guess this really is controversial

I'm thinking as a first-time player I'll go with the PSP version to have a better idea of what the gently caress is happening, but stylistically I can really see the appeal of choosing the original. Thanks guys :tipshat:

gotta finish Yakuza 7 first anyway, who has time for video games these days

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I revived my SA account after a few years to share some gaming stuff I've been making lately, I started a casual youtube channel of sorts called VGCartography about game maps/level design but I'm also sharing some infographic style stuff I've made for tons of games over the years. Lately it's been Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross.

Sorry if posting tweets is poor form, but I don't have these hosted elsewhere yet. I have a lot more to share but I've had trouble getting anyone to notice on Twitter so looking for better places that people would actually look at 'em.

CC stuff first. Some bosses & crossovers:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1353422900708192257?s=20

Dragons:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1353062029490184201?s=20

Elements:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1353393707937107968?s=20

And Vagrant Story, working on a video about this as well:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1352742974103412736?s=20

My videos are only for GTA and Silent Hill so far, but I'm finishing up some maps like this for my next one:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1351182930694070274?s=20

I made these for my own satisfaction but I'd love for others to enjoy them too!

Electromax fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 25, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

The Colonel posted:

This is what they do in XIV too

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tae posted:

Which is exactly why I said the PSP translation came with a lot of improvements and I don’t consider it bad?

I said it lacks impact. Which, it does compared to the original and why I remember the original quotes more compared to the new translation. I don’t think anybody is arguing that the PSP translation is bad or that it’s a not step up from the PlayStation translation as a whole.

I appreciate what they did, but that doesn’t change that ultimately the changes left a chunk of dialogue fall flat.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Electromax posted:

I revived my SA account after a few years to share some gaming stuff I've been making lately, I started a casual youtube channel of sorts called VGCartography about game maps/level design but I'm also sharing some infographic style stuff I've made for tons of games over the years. Lately it's been Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross.

Sorry if posting tweets is poor form, but I don't have these hosted elsewhere yet. I have a lot more to share but I've had trouble getting anyone to notice on Twitter so looking for better places that people would actually look at 'em.

CC stuff first. Some bosses & crossovers:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1353422900708192257?s=20

Dragons:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1353062029490184201?s=20

Elements:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1353393707937107968?s=20

And Vagrant Story, working on a video about this as well:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1352742974103412736?s=20

My videos are only for GTA and Silent Hill so far, but I'm finishing up some maps like this for my next one:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1351182930694070274?s=20

I made these for my own satisfaction but I'd love for others to enjoy them too!

those are cool! the chrono cross models look great all lined up together

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'll take any excuse to post Thunder God Cid's FF14 lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds9_PRQHjG8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

literally every post in this conversation brought this up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

I bought the Collector's Edition because I wanted that deck so bad.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I keep stopping short of doing the same, but I think I might just do it at some point. I'm kicking myself for not snagging a pack of separated cards I briefly saw on eBay once.

Welp, I had to do some extra hours for work and Amazon US had two left so I've got a deck of BLADE cards Collector's Edition of Tokyo Xanadu eX+ coming in a few weeks! :shepspends:.

The shipping was a bit painful at $40AUD, but the pack itself was $79AUD so paying what's essentially new-at-retail's pretty fine by me. I like having a physical copy of my games anyway :v:.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
big talk from the heir to a fashion fortune

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Endorph posted:

I'll level. The 'gutter' line in the psp version is good but 'animals have no god!' is such a strong, punchy line that not having it kinda ruins the scene. plus algus comes across completely different in both versions. the psx translation has the final line be a quick declaration - he's yelling it at her with finality. The PSP translation seems more like a calm rebuttal, like it's a reasoned debate. In a vacuum both are valid but given Algus's importance in the plot is rushing off to go kill some commoners and shooting Delita's sister just because he thinks he might hit the guy who's holding her, him coming across less reasoned and more firm and angry makes sense.

This isn't nostalgia, I played FFT PSP first.

WotL's script sounds like the result of someone taking years of Theater 101 courses and despite how rough the PSX version might be at times it has far better/memorable lines than Generic Medieval Speak.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone else filled with dread at the eventuality of losing access to their psp/vita/psone classics games? The only thing I can play these on is my vita and it doesn't seem like PS5 is going to have access to these.

Wait, why would we lose access? I’ve purchased more than a few ps1 rpgs for my Vita and PS3.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Eventually old consoles die, and new consoles don't necessarily support the same purchases.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<me after implanting a criminals brain into my dead Vita and raising it into a lighting storm> Live! Live!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
greetings from barudak's vita

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

<me after implanting a criminals brain into my dead Vita and raising it into a lighting storm> Live! Live!

The lengths you have to go through when the charge cable for your First Gen Vita dies.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sponges posted:

Wait, why would we lose access? I’ve purchased more than a few ps1 rpgs for my Vita and PS3.
Why did you quote a month old post though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

anakha posted:

FFT chat makes me want to revisit the original on emulator.

I'm a couple of hours into I Am Setsuna and am loving the SNES RPG throwback vibe so far. I might be in the probably pretty narrow target audience of this game though.
I've dipped back into Tactics games lately and discovered the mod scene for the two biggest games is quite alive and well? I was kind of surprised but not surprised after suffering with 1.3 for years in FFT.

FFT has a widely accepted balance mod that took all the better ideas from 1.3 and left the difficulty hack behind - http://fft.cerabow.net/

Tactics Ogre for the PSP has an overhaul mod that reigns in all of the skill insanity, and alleviates the pains of crafting and much of the item system - http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/file/43-tactics-ogre-one-vision/