Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The best thing about flat earth is that one of the big figures in it, the guy who is the focus of the netflix documentary, sometimes does videos with this other flat-earth person who is a hot woman, and the guy’s entire audience thinks that she’s a cia agent sent to seduce and discredit him. But none of that has shaken her confidence in flat earth.

And one of the big reasons they think she is CIA is because her name is Patricia

(or something like that, its been a while since I watched it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
lol if you don't accept the truth of no trees on flat earth on giant ice ball earth

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

90s Cringe Rock posted:

lol if you don't accept the truth of no trees on flat earth on giant ice ball earth

Dammit I was coming here to post about the Great Ice Ball Theory where earth is just a small flat area on a giant ice covered globe.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Dammit I was coming here to post about the Great Ice Ball Theory where earth is just a small flat area on a giant ice covered globe.
Possibly one of many such ponds melted into the ice!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Guavanaut posted:

Earth's surface area is thousands of times larger than Big Map will have you believe. Beyond the ice walls there's dozens more Earth-areas where sincere belief and troll-map become one.

Wasn't this roughly the plot of the shonen series Toriko?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
The other bits of the far right are trying to recruit disillusioned qultists. They approve of the hate for Jews, immigrants and non-whites qanon is based on but think the followers have got an embarrassing amount of brain worms. They are trying to recruit them on parler with positive content about Hitler to turn them into proper fascists without the fantasy underground adrenochrome prisons and pizza obsession.

Thanks to their failed attempt to force a coup by storming the capitol a lot of them have decided to abandon the political approach. Which shows you how violent their idea of the political approach is.

https://www.ft.com/content/9dfdf457-a578-40f0-8d9b-f80057542d3f

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

letthereberock posted:

Does flat earth-ism generally coincide with other awful conspiracy theories? Because if it doesn’t, in 2021 I kind of want to give them a pass. It’s a sign of how the past four years has changed me that I’m kinda fine with “the Earth is a disk” as long as it’s not “the Earth is a disk, therefore we must make Trump President for life and execute all gay people”
Flat Earth is a gateway drug to Chriatian Dominionism

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Froghammer posted:

Flat Earth is a gateway drug to Chriatian Dominionism

It's this, op

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cornwind Evil posted:

It makes sense that people who travel in similar circles would think similarly.

The mangaka who created Toriko is a pedophile convicted of child prostitution.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

:hmbol:

Imagine having these luddites tell you "I don't know man that sounds ridiculous"

The dorks that believe certain flights are made up by a global conspiracy to not reveal the Earth is flat because (???)

:allears:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of weird Earth composition sci-fi, I enjoyed reading Inverted World which is just insane conceptually with a disc-like sun with two points and any distance away from a central city having crazy warped dimensions.

There's a final twist that I wasn't too big of a fan of, but the majority of the book is pretty cool.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

The dorks that believe certain flights are made up by a global conspiracy to not reveal the Earth is flat because (???)

The most common belief is that it's just a form of control, to show that you're completely susceptible to government lies. There's other, weirder theories, like that certain flight paths would clearly show the giant ice walls surrounding the earth.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Guavanaut posted:

Earth's surface area is thousands of times larger than Big Map will have you believe. Beyond the ice walls there's dozens more Earth-areas where sincere belief and troll-map become one.

Isn't this one of the big plot twists of HunterXHunter?

EDIT: beaten by a different manga lol

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 25, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

The most common belief is that it's just a form of control, to show that you're completely susceptible to government lies. There's other, weirder theories, like that certain flight paths would clearly show the giant ice walls surrounding the earth.

They are aware they can rent planes, yes?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, with government transponders in them. :tinfoil:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Murgos posted:

Every single pilot is in on the conspiracy. If you hire one they will simply fly you around in circles to give the illusion that you're going around the world. Yes, they actually believe this. You cannot get a pilots license without swearing to secrecy that the world is flat. And they enforce this. . . *somehow*.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh okay that's even dumber than my thing, I was assuming that the argument would be that the FAA demands that all the instruments have a NASA chip in them so it looks like you're going round the world but in fact *butt farts* :butt:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The sheer ingeniousness and discipline involved in maintaining such a conspiracy would make it one of the greatest human achievements ever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Murgos posted:

These people aren’t looking for answers because they already know “the truth.” Instead they’re looking for confirmation of their beliefs and anything that goes against it gets written off as part of the conspiracy.

Like they’re working backwards from their conclusion, which they think is the absolute truth and completely correct, and then go backwards to justify it instead of the other way around.

The Netflix documentary has a scene where they do an experiment to once and for all prove the world is flat. They bought an ultra expensive laser or something and sailed an observer with a target down a river. If they hold the target up at the same height as the laser, then this will prove the earth is flat because the laser will go in a straight line and hit the target. Except, it doesn’t, because of the curvature. They held the target up a bit higher and viola, the laser hits it at the calculated height it would based on a round earth. Instead of throwing in the towel and conceding they start immediately reasoning that the laser wasn’t powerful enough or that something else went wrong or that this experiment is flawed because of reasons.

Renting a plane and flying it to the edge but not finding it? The pilot was in on it. The the GPS signals are lying because they’re controlled by the government. Etc etc.

E: And while believing in a flat earth is “harmless,” you can see echoes of this type of thinking in non-harmless conspiracies like qanon. I think I saw a post in uspol where they thought that Trump and Biden has swapped bodies or something?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 25, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Guavanaut posted:

Oh okay that's even dumber than my thing, I was assuming that the argument would be that the FAA demands that all the instruments have a NASA chip in them so it looks like you're going round the world but in fact *butt farts* :butt:

There's also like flights that are impossible on ye olde flat earthe, like the flight from Australia to Brazil would take like 36 hours if the earth was flat, so, therefore, all those flights are made up, and the passenger manifests, and the flight plans.

The number of people involved and amount of ingenuity that it would take to cover up that the Earth is flat, it'd be like 90% of the people would have to be in on the "conspiracy".

Because the conspiracy would have to proactively get ready when an invention comes out or something, and there are some things that we've been doing in a certain way historically to create records and such even before an invention or a theory.

It's just mind-boggling. Q is frankly far more believable than flat earth. Like you personally can disprove flat earth on your own with a little work and a telescope.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

letthereberock posted:

Does flat earth-ism generally coincide with other awful conspiracy theories? Because if it doesn’t, in 2021 I kind of want to give them a pass. It’s a sign of how the past four years has changed me that I’m kinda fine with “the Earth is a disk” as long as it’s not “the Earth is a disk, therefore we must make Trump President for life and execute all gay people”

An inability to think critically, to separate fact from fiction, combined with a tendency to view everything through the lens of massive conspiracies by secret cabals, will always lead to bad places, even if it starts out with a relatively "harmless" conspiracy like flat earth-ism.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think there's something with desiring to be the hero that uncovers it all, being alienated from school, science, history etc and having mostly fictional references for how the world works. If you do this alone, it might be entertaining. If you're in group you get validation, belonging and other positive reinforcement which makes it much more involving. It's just a whirlpool of dumbness.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Netflix documentary has a scene where they do an experiment to once and for all prove the world is flat. They bought an ultra expensive laser or something and sailed an observer with a target down a river. If they hold the target up at the same height as the laser, then this will prove the earth is flat because the laser will go in a straight line and hit the target. Except, it doesn’t, because of the curvature. They held the target up a bit higher and viola, the laser hits it at the calculated height it would based on a round earth. Instead of throwing in the towel and conceding they start immediately reasoning that the laser wasn’t powerful enough or that something else went wrong or that this experiment is flawed because of reasons.

The leader of this group released a statement and while I cant remember all of it I do remember that when he addressed this experiment he said "obviously we weren't going to accept this result" which, really, tells you all you need to know.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Vice did a thing on QAnon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsN96zE8FuE

I'm actually a little curious how much Trump knew, or understood, about Q. He was a notoriously low information President and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his entire knowledgebase was "they like me".

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I've wondered that too. For a normal person, being praised and exalted for something you know isn't true has got to be stressful, because you know the truth will eventually get out and you're going to have a huge fall from grace. But Trump is both a sociopath and famously terrible at anticipating future problems, so it probably didn't bother him.

I figure his lawyers told him to play dumb, but he at least had some sense of why the Q people like him, and they were useful insofar as they could help him get reelected.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Wildeyes posted:

I've wondered that too. For a normal person, being praised and exalted for something you know isn't true has got to be stressful, because you know the truth will eventually get out and you're going to have a huge fall from grace. But Trump is both a sociopath and famously terrible at anticipating future problems, so it probably didn't bother him.

I figure his lawyers told him to play dumb, but he at least had some sense of why the Q people like him, and they were useful insofar as they could help him get reelected.

This is why I wouldn't be shocked if Trump starts winking more at it in future rallies. Someone's going to get in his ear about his wonderful accomplishments fighting the deep state and he's going to just internalize it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As much as he was on twitter, I’m sure he knew that they viewed him as a god and knew the basic narrative of “hero vs deep state.” He probably namesearched every day.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guavanaut posted:

Depends why you need the earth to be flat.

Biblical literalism? Yeah, they're going to believe that evolution is a hoax and gay people should be stoned to death too.
NASA lies? Rest of the government probably lying about tunnels full of children too.
Desperate need to be smarter than the normies without putting any actual intellectual effort in? Not necessarily awful conspiracy theories, but definitely dumb as poo poo ones.
i trol u trololol? Probably a member of pedophile chans.

Basically what this dude just said.

The way these things seem to work is that you start with "something I don't like knowing must not be true" and then you just extrapolate outward to find information that continues to confirm whatever belief it takes to reinforce that first thing and then find a branch leading to a second one that confirms the original idea. Once it starts, it's like liquid succumbing to gravity, finding the lowest level and the path of least resistance and then into a vast ocean of idiocy.

Any number of rivers or single raindrops may have ultimately led there but, poo poo, how do you swim out of it at that point surrounded by water?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kaddish posted:

I'm actually a little curious how much Trump knew, or understood, about Q. He was a notoriously low information President and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his entire knowledgebase was "they like me".

At the very least he was directly asked about it by a reporter who specifically mentioned Q, and said that part of it was that he was fighting against satanic pedophiles, and his response was just "Is that supposed to be a bad thing?" I can't imagine he went searching it out (he has zero intellectual curiosity) so I would imagine yeah, all he knew about it was they saw him as a hero fighting evil.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HappyHippo posted:

An inability to think critically, to separate fact from fiction, combined with a tendency to view everything through the lens of massive conspiracies by secret cabals, will always lead to bad places, even if it starts out with a relatively "harmless" conspiracy like flat earth-ism.

The Nazis also believed in ostensibly harmless poo poo, like Inner Earth theory

Just because a conspiracy belief system is dumb and "harmless" does not mean it is not a gateway to far more harmful ideologies. A lot of these idiots believe in Anti-semetism/ NWO poo poo that goes along with their already global conspiracy

Hell I imagine Qanon and Flat Earth have quite a bit of crossover

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

All conspiracies have crossover because if you’re loving stupid enough to buy into one of them you’re absolutely dumb enough to carry on down another rabbit hole or two.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

There's also like flights that are impossible on ye olde flat earthe, like the flight from Australia to Brazil would take like 36 hours if the earth was flat, so, therefore, all those flights are made up, and the passenger manifests, and the flight plans.

The number of people involved and amount of ingenuity that it would take to cover up that the Earth is flat, it'd be like 90% of the people would have to be in on the "conspiracy".

Because the conspiracy would have to proactively get ready when an invention comes out or something, and there are some things that we've been doing in a certain way historically to create records and such even before an invention or a theory.

It's just mind-boggling. Q is frankly far more believable than flat earth. Like you personally can disprove flat earth on your own with a little work and a telescope.

I'm pretty sure Australia isn't real

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I just see flat eartherism as dogma fidelity virtue signaling. Like "I'm so in the camp that nothing is real let me tell you how not real it is."

This, coincidentally happens not conflict whatsoever with fascist tendencies and goals, which require abandonment of reality generally and specifically. If you do the former that works, even if it's really the latter that's cared about.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/nezumi_ningen/status/1353812833629310977?s=21

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

QAnon stuff has been spreading to Canada in the form of anti-vax + anti-lockdown protests but I haven't seen anything yet with notions of a 'deep state'. I wonder if there is an analogous movement here I'm just not familiar with? Maybe someone has some links?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

RadicalTranslation posted:

QAnon stuff has been spreading to Canada in the form of anti-vax + anti-lockdown protests but I haven't seen anything yet with notions of a 'deep state'. I wonder if there is an analogous movement here I'm just not familiar with? Maybe someone has some links?

Didn’t some weirdo drive a truck or van or something through the gates of Trudeau’s residence because of poo poo like this?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous posted:

Another (poorly remembered) quote from that Netflix documentary:
Even if I go up into outer space myself, and look over the earth. If I see a round earth it's because They make you wear a space helmet and They design the optics of the helmet.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I heard some talk about Canada secretly being controlled by a wealthy family of inbred British elites with ties to Epstein, but there's no way that's true...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Things are usually a bit more low key in Canada. "Quite shallow state" perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ola posted:

Is that a fencing scar? That's a proper nazi.

WW1 scar's.

That's the one blessing of modern day facists. Germany was dealing with hardened war veterans who had turned fash . Thankfully we mostly just have larpers, who like to play dress up military.