Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Going without a haircut just means your long luxurious hair becomes longer idgi :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like the stay-at-home orders are lifted; it’s back to the counties to decide

Thank God. I’m looking forward to getting Coronavirus outside of an Applebee’s

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

i hope gavin newsom gets the roni

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rah! posted:

He's an android.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rah! posted:

Dem governor appeasing CHUDs because they definitely won’t want to recall him now

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Honest question, can Gavin cut us checks and stop rent and mortgage payments? Because then we could do a proper months long lockdown and we don't need the economy "open" so that poor people can eat and pay their landlord.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

He's an android.

maybe his skin can get infected at least

show us the endoskeleton gavin

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

droll posted:

Honest question, can Gavin cut us checks and stop rent and mortgage payments? Because then we could do a proper months long lockdown and we don't need the economy "open" so that poor people can eat and pay their landlord.

Stop rent/mortgage payments, yes. But cutting checks would require the ability to print money which a state can't really do.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

luminalflux posted:

That’s not how fire ecology works bro. Rain makes poo poo grow, which is fuel that burns a few seasons later. Sometimes you get lucky and the rain just washes the soil down the hillside and you get debris flows instead of future fires.

It kinda is. In part of why the wildfires are as bad as they are is that there's loads of fuel built up over years and loads of dead trees from changing climate.

It's way easier to deal with a grassland fire that happens over 1 year of growth in contrast to a forest with decades of dead wood and dry ground detritus.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Stop rent/mortgage payments, yes. But cutting checks would require the ability to print money which a state can't really do.

the state could borrow the money or get the federal government, which is controlled by the extensibly science-believing democratic party, to print cash to foot the bill

the excuse used to be that there was no way trump would go along with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shear Modulus posted:

the excuse used to be that there was no way trump would go along with it.
Biden's tax relief bill apparently has a few million or billion for localities to play around with.

The danger before was just saying "yeah it's covered" and then having Trump Presidency 2.0 come around and say gently caress you.
Of course, the danger now is the senate going "well, yes, I suppose we should reach across the aisle and shave our bill down from 1.5t to 200 billion yes nice very good unity"

Regardless, suspending rent *should* have been a thing because, uh, we're coming close to a year and there's no way a "just pay it back in 6 months" thing will fly.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

seems relevant

https://twitter.com/VoteAlexLee2020/status/1353598472478367745

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao good poo poo after the thread spent like three pages arguing back and forth over whether Newsom was doing a good job or not. I guess we now have the definitive answer!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finally taking steps to do something about this ICU space that has been sitting idle.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
HMO bean counters are controlling all this. God forbid they have to break their budget models and hire more nurses that aren't contractor temps.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

droll posted:

Honest question, can Gavin ... stop rent and mortgage payments? Because then we could do a proper months long lockdown and we don't need the economy "open" so that poor people can eat and pay their landlord.
If you are genuinely curious, it is worth reading up on the contract clause of the constitution. Generally, modification of private contracts is limited to the federal government. There is precedent for states temporarily modifying debt repayment contracts with eviction moratoriums, but I don't know of any precedent of states outright canceling debts at the cost of the debtee.

That said. Cancel lease & loan payments and interest you cowards.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

lmao good poo poo after the thread spent like three pages arguing back and forth over whether Newsom was doing a good job or not. I guess we now have the definitive answer!

That wasn't even what the conversation was about.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I thought it was but apologies if I misconstrued your slapfight.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CopperHound posted:

That said. Cancel lease & loan payments and interest you cowards.

That would mean canceling their profits.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/SophiaBollag/status/1353798072162111489?s=20

Newsom is using the decline in transmission rates to justify reopening. No, no, don't ask what effect this policy change will have on transmission rates, I assure you the state has secret numbers that make this a very good idea.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Most counties are going straight back to purple - is there really that much of a difference?

I thought this stay at home order was just for after 10 pm anyhow? I can’t keep any of this poo poo straight at this point.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

Most counties are going straight back to purple - is there really that much of a difference?

I thought this stay at home order was just for after 10 pm anyhow? I can’t keep any of this poo poo straight at this point.

Purple tier is less restrictive than a stay at home order, yes. But ultimately I'd say it's more the messaging than anything. I don't think anything is being enforced in large stretches of the state, but part of the reason for that is the constant see-sawing between "open" and "closed" and the ever-shifting definitions for those terms. People are exhausted and Newsom is adding to that exhaustion while he flails in his attempt to find a middle ground that pisses everyone off.

And for something new, here's Newsom on vaccine distribution:

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1353811803550040067?s=20

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1353811805634580481?s=20

A better plan than no plan, at least. I'm curious how much we're paying Salesforce for this.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Hawkperson posted:

Basically just outdoor dining/salons open? Retail's going to be essentially the same. I honestly can't think of what this is otherwise, because none of the heavily populated counties will be anywhere close to like, trying to reopen indoor dining if they're sticking with the color tiers.

Also, amazing that we're finally realizing "oh yeah streamlining vaccine eligibility and getting a central appointment system to queue people would be nice", but I'll take late recognition over none at this point. From what my wife has mentioned from Kect/LAC/UCLA Health, the vaccine data being reported as administered is hideously nonstandard and lagging by up to a week in spots, so it wouldn't surprise me that we're simultaneously doing better than the numbers shown and still also not doing nearly as much as we can. If NYC can beat the national average, so can we.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Riverside County already had indoor dining as of two weeks ago when I went to go get takeout. I dunno what this stay-at-home order was supposed to do anyways.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheGreyGhost posted:

Also, amazing that we're finally realizing "oh yeah streamlining vaccine eligibility and getting a central appointment system to queue people would be nice"
I forget where I posted this but getting my MiL set up at the Dodger Stadium site in LA was noting but frustration.

Check the county/city website, enter information for eligibility, find the location, go to another website and another log-in to view appointment times, click to book a time, have the system hang on load, go back to the appointment times to see everything's gone, reload from the log in, then select a time and I guess it went through since it took 4 hours for the confirmation email?

It had all the elegance and simplicity of a boutique Citrix web platform running on windows 7 designed for DOS. Absolutely ball-smashingly horrible.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Give Gavin a break. He only just found out that vaccines were approved today.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A better plan than no plan, at least. I'm curious how much we're paying Salesforce for this.

A lot of CA already uses Salesforce for contact tracing/case investigation (platform called CalConnect). I imagine it makes sense to use the same company for other covid database type stuff.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I wish we could have continued to ban tent outdoor dining, but the reopened the actual open air outdoor dining. Those tents are so dumb, the whole point of being outdoors is to stop trapping airflow so your not sitting in someone else stagnant virus cloud

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Glumslinger posted:

I wish we could have continued to ban tent outdoor dining, but the reopened the actual open air outdoor dining. Those tents are so dumb, the whole point of being outdoors is to stop trapping airflow so your not sitting in someone else stagnant virus cloud

I rather like the cold drafty wind, the desperate kayfabe, the hastily constructed tables, and the pleasant sound of oncoming traffic

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I haven't gone out to eat for a year and I am not missing it so far, what's with people seeing it as some sort of weird religion

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Celexi posted:

I haven't gone out to eat for a year and I am not missing it so far, what's with people seeing it as some sort of weird religion

It's a nice break from cooking, a chance to get out and enjoy yourself in the company of other people, and generally a portion of what you do when you're spending time with a significant other, friends, or family.

Being able to safely go out and get a meal at a restaurant would be a very refreshing thing, and a fairly large shift back towards normal for a lot of people. I definitely miss going out to meals with friends, and hell, just seeing my friends in person as well.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It also makes it much easier to enjoy the cuisine of different countries/regions. Yes, cooking yourself is obviously possible, but for many types of food it's real easy to gently caress up. I still haven't managed to get injera right.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sharing a meal with company is a normal human pleasure

but so is not getting permanent lung scarring

the people who are pushing for opening up restaurants though never were the people who missed going out to eat, they are the people who own five applebees franchises who are pissed off they aren't making as much money and landlords who demand their assets suffer no losses in value during a complete economic crash

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It is also one of the few things that effects people who aren't poor, and can't afford to go out to eat religiously at sit down restaurants.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Newsom is using the decline in transmission rates to justify reopening. No, no, don't ask what effect this policy change will have on transmission rates, I assure you the state has secret numbers that make this a very good idea.

It's like the balance meter in Tony Hawk Pro Skater. To keep a grind/manual going as long as possible, you need to make sure you never get too far to one side or the other. Through careful management, we can keep this thing at its current level almost indefinitely.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Celexi posted:

The people going out to eat in the middle of pandemic are the ones that want to buy some servants to order around for an hour or two.

I miss going out to eat, but I care more about the health of me and the workers than I care about getting drink refills while eating sushi. We've been trying a lot more recipes, and got an air fryer to make crunchy things at home. We're also saving money from skipping 1-2 restaurant meal dates a week.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

fermun posted:

It's like the balance meter in Tony Hawk Pro Skater. To keep a grind/manual going as long as possible, you need to make sure you never get too far to one side or the other. Through careful management, we can keep this thing at its current level almost indefinitely.

Can't let the death meter get too low, or bad things happen, like less death.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I've been getting take out at some places and people have been sitting inside for weeks. But I'm also in Orange County

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

This will in no way come back to bite him in the rear end. Not at all. Secret numbers good. Public numbers bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Goodpancakes posted:

I've been getting take out at some places and people have been sitting inside for weeks. But I'm also in Orange County

:same: