Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

grack posted:

My fake Lamy Dialog showed up today,

But that's not a Delta :confused:

Is everything okay :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Bank posted:

Updated family:

That is a solid working class family with the one piston filler that went to college.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

404notfound posted:

But that's not a Delta :confused:

It has a delta to a real Lamy :eng101:

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Bank posted:

Courtesy of meat glitter I have welcomed a Kaweco Sport (M) into my collection:

Updated family:

It's certainly a fine writing instrument. The body quality reminds me of the Safari, but the nib seems to be in much better shape out of the box. meat glitter even included a converter and some extra cartridges (!)

wow that was fast way to go usps - enjoy it!!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I have a Lamy Safari F, it seems scratchy when used with KWZ Honey . Is that normal or is the ink lovely? I can fill it with Iroshozuku Shin-Kai as that ink is next in the rotation but I would rather not waste ink on a bad pen.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Different inks can definitely cause stuff like that. I can't speak on that specific combo but it's definitely something that happens. I don't know though about why to say any more, though.

Did you thoroughly clean the feed and nib before changing inks? It's also possible it could be from dirt or old ink.

Edit: Is this a brand new pen? Try giving it a clean and try again. Lamy tests their pens before shipping so it's possible there was some residue ink.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 26, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

It is a pen I gifted my daughter years ago that she returned to me clogged up with some diamine red ink. I rinsed it out under the tap and let it soak overnight, could be that not everything came out as the pen runs very dry and has trouble starting as well.
Last month, my dad gave me a shaeffer ultrasonic pen cleaner thing so I will run it through that.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

grack posted:

My fake Lamy Dialog showed up today

Holy poo poo the retraction mechanism actually works, though it's clearly different from Lamy's as it doesn't retract the clip.

So... okay, $45 for a retractable nib pen is pretty cool.

Got a link to the vendor?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

fanny packrat posted:

Got a link to the vendor?

I don't have a link but it's probably this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzN3lQ2r2_g

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Yeah, just look up "LM Focus 3" on Aliexpress.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

grack posted:

Yeah, just look up "LM Focus 3" on Aliexpress.

Found it, thanks!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I have the crabs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

gschmidl posted:

I have the crabs.

Ugh it's so dumb but now I want it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

gschmidl posted:

I have the crabs.

"You dropped this, king"

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Can anyone ID this pen for me? I picked it up for around $1 in a Taiwanese stationery shop. It looks like a Pilot Varsity or Kakuno, and has the cute nib associated with those pens, but it loads cartridges and has a different body to those pens. It's not a bad writer although it tends to dump a ton of ink on the paper.

Want to grab some more as it's cheap enough that I'm happy taking it to work where I wouldn't want to bring a Pilot Metro (I'm a teacher).

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Not an expert on Taiwanese fountain pens at all, but I was able to find a reference to a Cherry Blossom Erasable Fountain Pen on Reddit that looks just like that one. It doesn't provide much more information than that, unfortunately. I assume Cherry Blossom is the name brand? Good luck though and hope this helps.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dammit Canada Post, what the hell are you doing?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I'm debating if I should buy yet another pen. I don't write much, but just like admiring the build quality of these things and scribbling here and there.

With my current line-up, I was considering a TWSBI Vac Mini; is there anything else that's <$100 I should consider instead?

Right now I have:

Kaweco Sport
LAMY Safari
TWSBI Eco
Pilot Metropolitan
Pilot Kakuno (son uses this one)

I'm torn between the Metro and Eco as best value pens; the Eco is solid, but does feel "cheaper" as its acrylic versus the metal Metro body. The Metro nib is simply amazing. The Eco definitely has the wow factor though with the clear body and piston filler.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Buy a TWSBI 580, they are a bit more expensive but the feel of the plastic is much better and I find them pleasing to the eye and really good writers. If you spend a tiny but more, get an AL so the grip is brushed aluminum.
https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/twsbi-diamond-580-al-r-prussian-blue-vulpen.html

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Bank posted:

I'm debating if I should buy yet another pen. I don't write much, but just like admiring the build quality of these things and scribbling here and there.

With my current line-up, I was considering a TWSBI Vac Mini; is there anything else that's <$100 I should consider instead?

Right now I have:

Kaweco Sport
LAMY Safari
TWSBI Eco
Pilot Metropolitan

I'm torn between the Metro and Eco as best value pens; the Eco is solid, but does feel "cheaper" as its acrylic versus the metal Metro body. The Metro nib is simply amazing. The Eco definitely has the wow factor though with the clear body and piston filler.

i like monteverde ritmas, they are magnetic and POP closed :)

https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/monteverde-ritma-fountain-pens

grack
Jan 10, 2012

IT'S THE (Delta) CIIIIIIRCLE OF LIIIIIIIIFE

(Also, thank you Canada Post for finally pulling your heads out of your collective asses)

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Bank posted:

I love my Opus Koloro, it’s got a perfectly fine nib, the material feels nice, and it’s an eyedropper with a shutoff valve which is always a plus.

Honestly I like it more than my TWSBI 580 Al (or any of my TWSBIs really).

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Bank posted:

I really like my Aurora Style a lot and it would be a good pick if you want something a little different. Otherwise I think a Lamy Studio would be a good fit for you. Metal body, very well balanced, and a good nib.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
My twsbi diamond...530(? Whatever the first original iteration when it was like pseudo kickstarter startup stuff) cracked down the barrel and I was looking at getting the 540 (I think that's the recent version.) I think the original run just had medium nibs and it was a little much sometimes. Anyone have a EF/F? I thought I might get the EF but it's hard to find a decent long comparison when I was looking around.

I thought about a vac, but I have inkwells that fit the 5xx ones so I was just going keep on that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bank posted:

Right now I have:

Kaweco Sport
LAMY Safari
TWSBI Eco
Pilot Metropolitan

When in doubt always consider the perfect number of pens n+1 forever :v:

I have the Twsbi Mini AL and the Prussian blue one they are OK writers. I would say I prefer the Eco just for the novelty factor and that I have a lot of Pilots already. I just wish they kept their unique colors in stock instead of forcing me to wait on them.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have two 580ALRs and they're probably my best steel-nibbed writers, honestly. Not that that's a huge cohort or anything though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I need to buy a new nib for my 580ALR Prussian Blue. I soooort of panic bought mine and the only nib available at the time was the 1.1 stub, which is okay but not great.

The nickel gray ALR looks pretty sharp too, and I do like the ribbed (:heysexy:) section on the ALR models over the standard AL.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Alder posted:

When in doubt always consider the perfect number of pens n+1 forever :v:
No, it's s-1, where s=number of pens that will cause my wife to lose her poo poo at me for becoming that dril tweet but with pens instead of candles.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

"You dropped this, king"

Don't ship the crab, TIA.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

howe_sam posted:

The nickel gray ALR looks pretty sharp too, and I do like the ribbed (:heysexy:) section on the ALR models over the standard AL.

It looks nice but I cannot get over the feeling of the ribs rubbing me the wrong way for some reason, I am kind of weird in that sense.
Soooo, as I just emptied it yesterday and will rinse it out today, if you want an ownership transfer send me a PM. Unless I read wrong and you have it already, in which case to the thread: I have a nickel grey 580 for sale.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Bank posted:

Right now I have:

Kaweco Sport
LAMY Safari
TWSBI Eco
Pilot Metropolitan

This will probably be a controversial suggestion, but maybe pick up a Noodlers Ahab or Konrad. There are lots of options on colors and a few on material (acrylic for the Konrad is recommended unless you can find an ebonite for sale). They are well within your price range, and with the flex nib will give you another avenue to explore. And if you enjoy getting your fingers inky and like having a "personal" experience with your pen--pick up a Boston Safety.

The downside is that Noodlers pens are almost like a "kit" pen, in that they usually need to be taken apart, cleaned, reassembled, and tinkered with before you get the best out of them. This will, however, teach you a lot about pens.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Don't ship the crab, TIA.

:yikes:

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Keetron posted:

It looks nice but I cannot get over the feeling of the ribs rubbing me the wrong way for some reason, I am kind of weird in that sense.

i have this too; sucks because otherwise it's a great pen i just hate holding it

anyway impulse bought a moonman wancai and it's just the cutest little motherfucker

inked it with iroshizuku kosumosu (naturally)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

meat glitter posted:

i have this too; sucks because otherwise it's a great pen i just hate holding it
It is a super smooth writer with Iroshizuku, Diamine and Platinum Carbon ink alike, although this pen only held one fill of Diamine.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I like my Opus88 Koloro, but I recently got their Omar, and the slightly-rounder feel of the pen makes it so much better in the hand for me.

Also, there are plenty of Benu pens under $100, and the ones I have all write well. The skull pen is just super-cool.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

Soooo, as I just emptied it yesterday and will rinse it out today, if you want an ownership transfer send me a PM. Unless I read wrong and you have it already, in which case to the thread: I have a nickel grey 580 for sale.

well, I'd be down to buy it if it's available

does it come with the wrench?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

sb hermit posted:

well, I'd be down to buy it if it's available

does it come with the wrench?

Yeah, in the box with the instruction, the little bottle of lube and wrench. I did throw out the cardboard box, I hope you don't mind. Bought the pen new in November or December.
I forgot to mention that shipping to the US is stupid at the moment tho, if you are in EU that is easier. If not, you are better off getting a new one as that will cost the same.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

Yeah, in the box with the instruction, the little bottle of lube and wrench. I did throw out the cardboard box, I hope you don't mind. Bought the pen new in November or December.
I forgot to mention that shipping to the US is stupid at the moment tho, if you are in EU that is easier. If not, you are better off getting a new one as that will cost the same.

sounds good to me!

I'm in the US, southern california. If you're interested in selling, please PM with payment details.

EDIT: just so I'm clear, I'm still down to buy, but let me know if you'd rather find a local buyer.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 4, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

sb hermit posted:

sounds good to me!

I'm in the US, southern california. If you're interested in selling, please PM with payment details.

EDIT: just so I'm clear, I'm still down to buy, but let me know if you'd rather find a local buyer.

Let me check shipping, it is €23, I paid €69 (nice) for the pen and used it one fill, then cleaned it in the ultrasound pen bath. I forgot to mention it is an M nib. To me, half price of new is fair, €34. Total €57 which is $68,50.
This is cheaper: https://www.penboutique.com/collections/twsbi-diamond/products/twsbi-fountain-pen-diamond-580alr-nickel-gray and you can even pick your nib.
Basically you are better off buying local, shipping is not worth it and the Euro is just too high atm.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

here's a fun friday q: we talk about inks we like but what are the inks we dont like?

ill start: baystate blue, it's boring and it stains everything even things that there is no way it could have come in contact with like a lampshade 2 rooms away or my cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

meat glitter posted:

here's a fun friday q: we talk about inks we like but what are the inks we dont like?

ill start: baystate blue, it's boring and it stains everything even things that there is no way it could have come in contact with like a lampshade 2 rooms away or my cat

I think it's a lovely blue, isopropyl alcohol removes it pretty well in my experience. Even from clothing! It does seem to get everywhere though, I have no idea why. And I guess it did stain and potentially lead to cracking in my twsbi.

I love black swan in australia roses, but it stains forever and ever, even my sink ceramics. Same with tsuki-yo and uhhh that one noodler's iridescent blue-green. Seem to need abrasives to get rid of them.

I absolutely hate those God awful sailor grey-blues. Just looks like dilute paint wash water. Brilliant Oranges and greensI just can't stand coming out of my pen, but I don't recall what samples I bought off goulet for those, definitely a couple pilot ones were in the mix.