Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Off the top of my head, I can only name five uninterrupted governments/nation states that existed then and exist now: the US, the UK, Switzerland, Japan sort of, and the Holy See. France was the Second French Empire back then, Mexico has had two different revolutions, Canadian confederation was just about to happen, and so on.

But those "not actually the same country" places are all still recognizable as France, Mexico Canada, Germany, Italy, and on and on. Everyone could point to Poland on a map, even during the times when there was no Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
People will definitely still maintain identities based on ancient borders even long after those borders are gone. Ask a Cornish person if they're English sometime and see how complicated the answer gets. Folk will be more easily able to identify as whatever ethnicity/nationality they desire, even if there's one world government - and presumably there'd still be plenty of local governments and such to administer local matters.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HopperUK posted:

Ask a Cornish person if they're English sometime and see how complicated the answer gets.

hold on, is this one of those questions that's likely to get me punched in the face

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cat Hatter posted:

The Civil War ended in 1865. 2021-1865 is 156 years.

The Alamo was in 1836. 2021-1836 is 185 years.

The post I quoted stated 150 years of unified Earth government, which is roughly the time span between our present and the Civil war, and noticeably less time than the 185 years it has been since the Alamo, both of which are still in public consciousness.

You're right, I misread you. Sorry!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Eugenics war was in 1992 though. It's been 300 years.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

hold on, is this one of those questions that's likely to get me punched in the face

I mean...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It could get them arrested, depending on the answer. Just for saying they're english.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone still play ST:O? I logged in for the first time since the big DS9 story and now I’m helping Picard-era Seven and Michael Burnham in a trial organized by Abraham Lincoln and Yarnek, which, even for this game, is just an insane crossover.

You really have to admire this game’s 11-year commitment to just dumping all the toys on the floor and making poo poo up as you smash them together in the dumbest possible way.

If they just gave you auto-execute of abilities on PC I might be tempted to casually mess around with it again, but as is there's no way I'm putting up with constantly mashing 4 hotbars worth of abilities.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/sleepytrekkie/status/1353752488684490752?s=20

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's deeply weird that he isn't in Disco or Lower Decks or Picard. How is it even legal to make Trek without him? Who are they hiring? Other actors??

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should hire Chip Esten and see if anybody notices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Your move CBS/Viacom.

https://www.engadget.com/babylon-5-remastered-hbo-max-digital-download-080058907.html

Kinda embarrassing if you can't do an HD remaster now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like B5 would need way more CGI work based on what I’ve seen than DS9 would

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
After a rewatch DS9 does have less CGI than I remember. There are a fairly small handful of episodes with big battle sequences that will have to be 100% redone. But it doesn't seem like it would be that bad. I don't think it's even, like, a half hour total across the entire series.

Not to minimize how much work the project would be as a whole, because yeah, it's still a lot. I wonder if some of the earlier battle scenes would actually be worse -- the ones where they mixed model work with other stuff. I would definitely settle for complete CGI recreations if necessary.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 26, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like B5 would need way more CGI work based on what I’ve seen than DS9 would

Well, they didn't touch the CGI, only upscaled.

The important thing is the original live action footage was scanned and archived at 4k. It's preserved. This isn't the most definitive version that it could be, but it at least allows that version to exist someday and is a huge improvement on what there was before.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just noticed that TNG refers to the Klingon Defence force. Is there a reason for that naming, or is it just a brainfart?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BonHair posted:

I just noticed that TNG refers to the Klingon Defence force. Is there a reason for that naming, or is it just a brainfart?

Ancient Klingon proverb: The best defense is a good offense

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
TOS Movie era Klingons did tend to talk a lot of poo poo about how they were only responding to Starfleet aggression and provocation.

It's probably a 'Democratic People's Republic' sort of situation.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Or the Berlin Wall being there to "protect" East Berlin from the West, although you'd think you'd want the guns to not be pointed towards the East for that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, or all the war ministries of Europe getting rebranded as defence ministries. It just doesn't seem very klingon. Surely the purpose of the fleet is to expand the empire, not to preserve the status quo?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s probably a Klingons=Japan thing

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sir Lemming posted:

After a rewatch DS9 does have less CGI than I remember. There are a fairly small handful of episodes with big battle sequences that will have to be 100% redone. But it doesn't seem like it would be that bad. I don't think it's even, like, a half hour total across the entire series.
Things like the big battle in 'Sacrifice of Angels' have already been done in HD, because somebody got hold of the original Lightwave model and animation files and re-rendered them at 1080p 4K. (I'm actually now wondering if new models were used, because some of them look ultra-detailed for 1997 CGI done on a television schedule and budget, but the point stands - if Some Random Guy can do it, a studio certainly can.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__kWrK_RFx8

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I think the "defense" part of the "Klingon Defense Force" is an artifact of S1 TNG when there wasn't a clear idea on what the 24th-century Klingon Empire was like, and there was some vague idea that they were an associate member of the Federation or something.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A little part of me wants them to put ships of the era in some of the wide shots of a remastered DS9 that weren't in the original show for whatever reason - Sovereigns, Norways, Intrepids, Californias, the odd Prometheus...not in the actual battle shots, but just in fleet shots or establishing shots of the station.

Oh god, am I...am I George Lucas?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

A little part of me wants them to put ships of the era in some of the wide shots of a remastered DS9 that weren't in the original show for whatever reason - Sovereigns, Norways, Intrepids, Californias, the odd Prometheus...not in the actual battle shots, but just in fleet shots or establishing shots of the station.

Oh god, am I...am I George Lucas?

Reading this post made my rear end in a top hat involuntarily clench shut

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d be fine with new classes popping up in stuff like the establishing station shots or static fleet arrangements, but uhhhhhh you keep your dirty loving revisionist ideas away from episodes like Sacrifice of Angels.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d be fine with new classes popping up in stuff like the establishing station shots or static fleet arrangements, but uhhhhhh you keep your dirty loving revisionist ideas away from episodes like Sacrifice of Angels.

That's what I mean! I'm not saying put new ships in the actual battles, that'd throw off the choreography. Just suggest those ships exist.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

omg I want these

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I would digitally insert a huge ship, just this massive fucker that's easily hundreds of times larger than a Galaxy, only to have it never commented on despite being in literally every shot. And its name would be easily readable on screen:

The USS Waves-of-Cum

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's what I mean! I'm not saying put new ships in the actual battles, that'd throw off the choreography. Just suggest those ships exist.

Not only should those ships not exist, but if changes were to be made I'd rather have ships of the era that were only seen in one or two episodes of TNG (sometimes just as floating scrap) like the New Orleans, Cheyenne, Niagara, Constellation and Ambassador. And more Nebulas :argh:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

less talk, more synthehol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Speaking of ships that should not exist, Kira/Odo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pick posted:

Eh I dunno I'm okay with it. Maybe that's just because of that block of wood she was paired up with early on. ...I hate Bareil I'm sorry he's a charisma vacuum.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Not Shakaar? :haw:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pick posted:

Not Shakaar? :haw:

Stop reminding me about all these Bajoran wastemen I have deliberately forgotten!!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pick posted:

It's better than the Plan A that Nana Visitor refused to do

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nessus posted:

The Federation doesn't seem to be eager to specifically eradicate historical concepts or anything. Even if the boundaries of countries lost meaning, especially relatively young or arbitrary ones, you'd still have regional histories, and cities wouldn't just disappear either (barring nuclear weapons, and not even then).

If you have planetary prefectures or something, they'd probably at least kind of resemble historical nation-states in a lot of cases. You're going to have a chunk of Europe directly south of Ireland/England; no reason to piss off the locals by deciding it needs to be called "Europe Zone Two" instead of "France"

I just took it to be like an everything's bigger now because it's space thing so a lot of countries still exist as they were but are the equivalent of states or provinces or whatever now to a planet's nation.

But that makes me think also like, starfleet is headquartered on earth in SF but like, is there an earth governing body that's separate from the federation and starfleet?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dukat only has eyes for sisko approval

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dukat wants Kira real bad and I'm so glad Nana Visitor wouldn't let it go there, because her complete disdain for him is the best.

e: Ha just remembered the scene from Call To Arms where after she leaves the room, Dukat leers, "Fascinating woman, isn't she?" and Weyoun, just about at the end of his 'pretending to like Dukat's company' time, says shortly, "I wouldn't know."