Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

potatocubed posted:

PbtA has since been superseded by either Forged in the Dark or Belonging Outside Belonging, depending on how cool you are.

I'm being edgy and going Cortex adjacent. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vidmaster posted:

Nice, both my Bloodborne and Dice Throne all-in pledges are showing up today. Think I'm going to need a bigger house :unsmith:
Unfortunately, the Dice Throne stuff can't be compressed because the custom storage trays are amazing at keeping everything sorted. It definitely looks amazing as a series of giant fake books, too. I was able to toss the mini add-on boxes by just dumping all the minis into the Adventures storage tray hole for minis. Tight fit, but it works for all 16 if you arrange them properly.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Unfortunately, the Dice Throne stuff can't be compressed because the custom storage trays are amazing at keeping everything sorted. It definitely looks amazing as a series of giant fake books, too. I was able to toss the mini add-on boxes by just dumping all the minis into the Adventures storage tray hole for minis. Tight fit, but it works for all 16 if you arrange them properly.

Yea it takes up a ton of room but the custom trays are so perfect for this game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea it takes up a ton of room but the custom trays are so perfect for this game.
Agree 100%.

My kids and I played the portal crawl and Barbarian boss battle scenarios. The barbarian crushed us so bad the first time and we barely squeaked by the second.

Getting those card upgrades is pretty awesome, ngl

We may need a Dice Throne thread. I might try to make one.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
This game, Gods of Metal Ragnarok, has say great art style. Mechanics look weird, but we'll see.
Edit: here's the mechanics video.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 25, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

dwarf74 posted:

Agree 100%.

My kids and I played the portal crawl and Barbarian boss battle scenarios. The barbarian crushed us so bad the first time and we barely squeaked by the second.

Getting those card upgrades is pretty awesome, ngl

We may need a Dice Throne thread. I might try to make one.

I'd be down. Dice Throne is surprisingly catchy to me, a person who generally likes much heavier fare. H2H is maybe something I'll save for nieces and nephews, but Adventures is *just* right for a fun solo or co-op night with my wife.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Infinitum posted:

Thinking I'm overcoming my FOMO on Mad King. It's 200 aud with shipping for the set I'd want, I can get the original base game for a 1/3 of the price, and there's a bunch of extraneous poo poo I could do without.

I'm not asking to be talked into it, but is it even that good a game for the price point they're asking? Cause I could literally buy a new copy of Eclipse for an extra 40 for a far more complex game.

To me Mad King was a fun filler with a nice spatial awareness puzzle. I can't justify the cost on this one.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

I'd be down. Dice Throne is surprisingly catchy to me, a person who generally likes much heavier fare. H2H is maybe something I'll save for nieces and nephews, but Adventures is *just* right for a fun solo or co-op night with my wife.

Diciness is usually a turnoff for me and I don't really get, e.g. things like Roll for the Galaxy that turn games that aren't dice games into dice games. But holy poo poo does Dice Throne - especially Adventures, now that I have a couple games in - bypass that for me entirely. Constantly thrilling.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

This game, Gods of Metal Ragnarok, has say great art style. Mechanics look weird, but we'll see.
Edit: here's the mechanics video.

They should probably be more forthcoming with saying that 1s don't cancel out 4s, since obviously that would make the game not work in any way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Rather than keep cluttering up the Kicstarter thread, Dice Throne needs a thread of its own.

It can be found here

I am very willing to make edits to my OP.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Ninja is a 2/6 complexity and is an interesting mixed bag of using delayed poison to stack end-of-enemy-turn damage on her opponents, ninjutsu to increase her damage amounts, and smoke bombs to potentially (50% chance) avoid all incoming damage. She's probably slightly more complex than her 2/6 but not much.

Treant is a 5/6 complexity, I believe.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey guys, can you remind me of the name of that kickstarter where society lived in a big hole with a staircase going up and "dungeon explorers" went up the stairs to the ruins of old cities and looted them? I can't recall the name and at the time and there were some issues that made me hesitant to back - but I've been thinking about the concept a couple of times a week since then which means I should probably give them some money, since my subconscious is finding it so compelling.

Edit: I found it right after I posted. The Well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shoelesspetegames/the-well-roleplaying-game

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

They should probably be more forthcoming with saying that 1s don't cancel out 4s, since obviously that would make the game not work in any way.
Yeah, in the mechanics video, it makes it more clear, 1s are more like strife from L5R 5E.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey guys, can you remind me of the name of that kickstarter where society lived in a big hole with a staircase going up and "dungeon explorers" went up the stairs to the ruins of old cities and looted them? I can't recall the name and at the time and there were some issues that made me hesitant to back - but I've been thinking about the concept a couple of times a week since then which means I should probably give them some money, since my subconscious is finding it so compelling.

Edit: I found it right after I posted. The Well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shoelesspetegames/the-well-roleplaying-game

Let me know if you find a way to order it now that the kickstarter is over, please!

E: et voila: https://shoelesspetegames.itch.io/the-well-roleplaying-game

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 25, 2021

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Memnaelar posted:

To me Mad King was a fun filler with a nice spatial awareness puzzle. I can't justify the cost on this one.

I like Mad King, and I really like Between Two Cities. Between Two Cities of Mad King Ludwig already has some deluxe bits like the GameTrayz system, but it desperately needs some larger tiles*. There's tons of lovely art on those postage stamps, but I need a loupe to see most of it. I think I would pay for an 'enthusiast copy' of BTCoMKL, but not this one.

*If you've ever played Infinite City, I think those tiles would be the perfect size.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Vidmaster posted:

Nice, both my Bloodborne and Dice Throne all-in pledges are showing up today. Think I'm going to need a bigger house :unsmith:

I feel that. My Tainted Grail and Dice Throne came at the same time, and I got yelled at for blocking the doorway :smith:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Has anyone looked into Alba? It's a big post-apoc open world gamebook thing that looks neat. I'm sure it won't be the Fabled Lands version of Heart of Ice that I long for, but one cannot have everything.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I had a quick skim through the KS and that was enough to convince me to throw some money at it. The only yellow flags I saw were a) extra content in the hardback that isn't in the paperback, which annoys me, and b) Kickstarters which blow right through their funding goal and over the horizon like that are often plagued by problems later on.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Has anyone looked into Alba? It's a big post-apoc open world gamebook thing that looks neat. I'm sure it won't be the Fabled Lands version of Heart of Ice that I long for, but one cannot have everything.

I was going to back it until I noticed that they have 3 other projects that still have not delivered. They haven't failed to fulfil any of their older projects, but I always worry about publishers that keep launching new project before completing their last.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Radlands is out from Roxley: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/radlands

Seems like a fine game, but I'm not sure if it's worth $40. Looks like it's a game that's built to be expanded on though, although honestly looking at the gameplay, it just reminds me that I really miss the WH40k Conquest LCG. gently caress that was a good game.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Iron Kingdoms Requiem, the new Iron Kingdoms RPG for 5e, is up and doing great.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

GrandpaPants posted:

Radlands is out from Roxley: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/radlands

Seems like a fine game, but I'm not sure if it's worth $40. Looks like it's a game that's built to be expanded on though, although honestly looking at the gameplay, it just reminds me that I really miss the WH40k Conquest LCG. gently caress that was a good game.

This is really pretty and I like that they only have one pledge level.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I thought this was Iron Heroes and I was so excited.

Iron Heroes was my favourite D&D 3e variant. No magic and a load of interesting classes. Just a shame the balance was all over the shop.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mojo Jojo posted:

I thought this was Iron Heroes and I was so excited.

Iron Heroes was my favourite D&D 3e variant. No magic and a load of interesting classes. Just a shame the balance was all over the shop.

Well, you've got all the Mearls you could want now in his 5e variant. ;-)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

The $40 is probably the maglocking box, the premium chips, and the fancy waterproof cards. The retail version won't have any of that and may well be cheaper.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

malkav11 posted:

The $40 is probably the maglocking box, the premium chips, and the fancy waterproof cards. The retail version won't have any of that and may well be cheaper.

Well put. Roxley is usually pretty low on their profit margin in terms of really pimping out their games, so you almost always get good value (even if its just the bits and not the game).

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Holy poo poo Bloodborne is HUGE. Like there's a lot of empty space in these boxes from all the mini trays, but even so it's still just a massive amount of content.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Those synth cards look interesting. Oh and it's by the dice throne team? I've been looking at getting that as well

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CODChimera posted:

Those synth cards look interesting. Oh and it's by the dice throne team? I've been looking at getting that as well

yesterday I received 31 pounds of dice throne and I am very excited.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CODChimera posted:

Well, sort of. The designer is an ex-Magic guy who isn't involved with Dice Throne AFAIK, but the art is the Dice Throne artist and Roxley is the publisher on both.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shame I always liked the home grown system way more than any of their D&D conversions.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hoping Radlands announces expansions or something. Seems...small.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Hoping Radlands announces expansions or something. Seems...small.

FAQ says there are no plans at this time for any expansions.
It's a 1v1 game.

I've backed instantly, might chip in the extra 20 for the mats.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vidmaster posted:

Holy poo poo Bloodborne is HUGE. Like there's a lot of empty space in these boxes from all the mini trays, but even so it's still just a massive amount of content.

Yes, I also got my "now how the gently caress am I going to store this" giant cardboard box today. At first I was wondering if I drunkenly ordered a minifridge.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Post pics of your Bloodborne stacks

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yes, I also got my "now how the gently caress am I going to store this" giant cardboard box today. At first I was wondering if I drunkenly ordered a minifridge.
K, after opening up all the boxes, I think maybe keeping 4 of the large ones (core, chalice, bloodmoon, castle/forest) and 1 small (hunter’s dream) is the way to go. Some of the bosses are a bit too big to just toss in with the rest of the minis, so I put them in the Hunter’s Dream box.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Post pics of your Bloodborne stacks

yeah or Dice Throne.

or just anything. it's always interesting to see the final results

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

GrandpaPants posted:

Man, I love the design, the art, and the production value, but what they show of the game itself looks a little underwhelming. The kickstarter trumpets cards synergizing in "crazy ways" but the text of the cards visible all look like pretty standard card interactions. Anyone walking away with deeper impressions? One thing appealing about it is how compact and portable it looks. I'm always on the move and discretely-packaged 2-player games really fit into my situation well.

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

I feel your pain. I had the shelf space when I backed the kickstarter but that space has long since been occupied by other random poo poo I've accumulated over the last 18 months or so. Might be time to invest in some more Kallax shelves. :shepspends:

In a KS related question, CMON's Hate was a KS exclusive game but this week I noticed that it's now available via Miniature Market's website. Does this happen often or is it an exception to KS exclusive stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

KS Exclusive as a term is about as useful as the term organic. You have to trust the company putting that on there. CMON haven’t always kept things KS exclusive that have that tag, selling at cons and stuff as an example.

My theory is HATE was a mega flop and MM bought the extra units for nickles on the dollar.