Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I am looking for interesting shounen manga to read because I am trying to read Japanese but am still bad at kanji. Does anyone have any suggestions for something relatively short (~100 chapters), complete and unique with a compelling character/thematic throughline? Chainsaw Man and Assassination Classroom are two things along those lines that I've read and enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its much shorter than even those but you could try Sandland by Akira Toriyama

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I am looking for interesting shounen manga to read because I am trying to read Japanese but am still bad at kanji. Does anyone have any suggestions for something relatively short (~100 chapters), complete and unique with a compelling character/thematic throughline? Chainsaw Man and Assassination Classroom are two things along those lines that I've read and enjoyed.
lucifer and the biscuit hammer?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Irony Be My Shield posted:

potentially Zatch Bell? it's not as short as you'd like, but it IS complete and also good throughout with a strong ending. It's EXTREMELY shonen, but does an excellent job at representing the typical tropes of shonen series, and the cast of characters is fantastic. art can be a bit dodgy at times, but then you get some really fantastic battle scenes where the artist clearly goes hog wild. humor is really great too.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'd like to find some shows that are fantasy, action, lots of flashing lights and fights, not too heavy/thriller/horror/psychological. Basically a JRPG in Anime form. I'd also like to avoid filler wherever possible, but I realise asking for no filler in a genre like fantasy action is probably a bit much.

Also ideally the main character is good at what they do and not struggling every time something pops up.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 23, 2021

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ahobday posted:

I'd like to find some shows that are fantasy, action, lots of flashing lights and fights, not too heavy/thriller/horror/psychological. Basically a JRPG in Anime form. I'd also like to avoid filler wherever possible, but I realise asking for no filler in a genre like fantasy action is probably a bit much.

Also ideally the main character is good at what they do and not struggling every time something pops up.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood would be the big one, if you haven't seen it already

Chaika the Coffin Princess is pretty good and extremely jrpg-ish

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ahobday posted:

One Punch Man, Gurren Lagann and Sword Art Online kinda fit here imo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Assuming puppets are not a deal breaker, Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ahobday posted:

chaika the coffin princess is exactly what you want, the mc's competent, it's pretty funny, and its only 26ish episodes. basically a tales of game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ahobday posted:

Oh actually just remembered, there's literally a Dragon Quest anime airing right now, adventure of dai. It's not an adaptation of any specific Dragon Quest game, just an adventure story set in a Dragon Quest world. It's got really good animation and some decent jokes, and those Toriyama designs if you're into his work. Very simple lighthearted JRPG stuff, but it's the exact definition of fun adventure story. It's based on a manga but the manga's long over so there shouldn't be any filler.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Thanks all - I'll check out Chaika and Dragon Quest to start.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Bongo Bill posted:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
I love that this is an accurate recommendation. Like, there are robots, yes, but also wuxia characters just wandering all over as well so it's a weird retro-sci-fi/historical-fantasy mashup.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just finished Girls Last Tour which I enjoyed. Is the manga recommended? If so, should I start at the beginning or somewhere in the middle

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the manga is also good yes. the anime covers the first 4 of the 6 volumes iirc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just finished Girls Last Tour which I enjoyed. Is the manga recommended? If so, should I start at the beginning or somewhere in the middle

i highly rec it, there's some manga-only stuff in the first half iirc and the art is great but the manga leaves off around the middle and everything past that is some of the best parts of the entire story

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I didn't know where to ask but I think this is a good place, where can I watch the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes series in full? I remember one time someone posted a youtube playlist years ago that I saved but didn't get around to watching and now it doesn't appear to be there anymore. Is there anywhere I can watch it? I'm having a hard time finding it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

DuhSal posted:

I didn't know where to ask but I think this is a good place, where can I watch the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes series in full? I remember one time someone posted a youtube playlist years ago that I saved but didn't get around to watching and now it doesn't appear to be there anymore. Is there anywhere I can watch it? I'm having a hard time finding it.

Hidive is the only streaming service that has it as far as I know

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
It's streaming on VRV (https://vrv.co/series/G64PMGZZR/Legend-of-the-Galactic-Heroes) and HIDIVE (https://www.hidive.com/tv/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes)

(VRV is an umbrella service, so it's got a lot of the HIDIVE catalog in there)

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
excellent thanks. I might get hidive just to watch it. I don't know if there's much else on that site I'd be into (I only know a bit of anime really) but I can always cancel once I finish it I suppose.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DuhSal posted:

excellent thanks. I might get hidive just to watch it. I don't know if there's much else on that site I'd be into (I only know a bit of anime really) but I can always cancel once I finish it I suppose.

I recommend the free month of VRV just so you can get Harmonquest and Gary and His Demons under your belt.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not exactly an anime recommendation, more of a franchise thing. I'm looking into this cheap, bigass bundle of Attack on Titan books, novels, and even audiobooks and wondering if I should jump in. Now, I've never looked at this series, I don't know if it will be my sort of thing, nor if the quality stays strong throughout the whole run. So someone familiar with it let me know. What's the closest thing anime- or manga-wise to it? Would someone who's into Berserk like this? Are the characters and plot good? How's the anime adaptation vs the manga?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saoshyant posted:

Not exactly an anime recommendation, more of a franchise thing. I'm looking into this cheap, bigass bundle of Attack on Titan books, novels, and even audiobooks and wondering if I should jump in. Now, I've never looked at this series, I don't know if it will be my sort of thing, nor if the quality stays strong throughout the whole run. So someone familiar with it let me know. What's the closest thing anime- or manga-wise to it? Would someone who's into Berserk like this? Are the characters and plot good? How's the anime adaptation vs the manga?
I'm gonna say you should definitely hop in, you should never, ever google or youtube anything about it unless you want your recommends to be full of spoiler thumbnails until you've caught up with the series, and you can safely skip almost everything in the bundle outside of the core series(most of the side stories aren't even canonical or written by isayama), it stands fine on its own.

The art is ROUGH initially, and only got a bit better later on, but the setting, the characters, the themes, the storytelling, the action, the drama and tragedy is top loving notch especially for a shonen series. There's some fight scenes in the manga that despite the aforementioned rough art are some of my favorites in any series because of how perfectly they convey kinetic energy in a still frame. It's one of my top 5, maybe 3 favorite series of all time, and it's just about to wrap up(chapter 139 is the final chapter supposedly), so now's an excellent time to start on it. You could also dive into the anime which has incredible action and music, and the horrifying aspects of the titans are even moreso animated for the most part. future seasons have some animation issues(studio changes, CGI models, etc) but outside of one particular one(CGI colossal titan) it's mostly at worst acceptable.

Definitely give it a try. I've not read berserk, but I've heard it's quite bleak. AoT is also pretty loving bleak, with a fascinating setting and some loving outstanding plot twists and reveals that it's one of my easy recommends for a lot of people.

edit: I think the terrible art quality initially actually lends the titans an even creepier design vibe than they might have had otherwise. boy some of those fuckers are nightmarish. but if you're not averse to anime, the anime is an excellent adaptation, to the point that the first season became a breakout hit in america almost on the cultural level of cowboy bebop, fullmetal alchemist, etc, maybe even beyond them. further seasons were delayed for years so the hype died down a lot, but it has regained a foothold as of late since the subsequent seasons have been so great. There's a bit in the middle of the first season that was a bit slow, like 12ish(?) episodes in or so, but other than that it's phenomenal.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 27, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

It's not over yet but I've really enjoyed the anime so far. It gets a little weak around season 2 then picks the hell up in season 3. The anime is a lot more polished than the manga in my opinion. It has a twisty as hell plot, it's hard to make direct comparisons because where it starts versus where it ends up going are very different. I think there's a lot of crossover with people who like Berserk, Attack on Titan is a lot less heavy in content overall mostly but both are violent action series that end up turning your expectations on their head over and over and capable of creating empathy for the least likely characters. The first season is on netflix and the whole show is on crunchyroll. I have no idea about the quality of the side novels and stuff so I can't really speak for the bundle.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Aot is pretty amazing and if you dig Berserk I can def see someone enjoying AOT. AOT is violent, and grim but with more characterization and a LOT more twisty, and most importantly is literally ending In a few months unlike Berserk likely ever.

All of the AOT anime including the new episodes of the "final season" are available on Hulu (in the US, at least).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Berserk is much grimier than Attack on Titan, but I think Attack on Titan is actually bleaker in terms of its thematic outlook. (Notwithstanding that AoT's ending isn't quite out yet and Berserk's is probably 20 years away.)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah aside from dolts and sensationalists trying to rack up internet points AOT is a LOT less problematic than Berserk.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

the anime is probably one of the best anime ever made imo, though the first season has rougher pacing than what comes after it

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've been watching That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime and I enjoy it a lot. One of the things I enjoy is that there's a relatively serious setting, but the main character is absurdly powerful and this means it's mostly a comedy show because there's not a lot of tension/danger.

Any other recommendations for comedy anime that's got a story-based setting like this? As opposed to comedies that are slice of life or more surreal. Bonus points for something where there's not a lot of tension.

I've tried/am familiar with Konosuba, Gintama, The Devil is a Part Timer.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ahobday posted:

I've been watching That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime and I enjoy it a lot. One of the things I enjoy is that there's a relatively serious setting, but the main character is absurdly powerful and this means it's mostly a comedy show because there's not a lot of tension/danger.

Any other recommendations for comedy anime that's got a story-based setting like this? As opposed to comedies that are slice of life or more surreal. Bonus points for something where there's not a lot of tension.

The most obvious one is Overlord, but it's kinda the eyerolling version of Slime (beyond the boob stuff in Slime).

One with more even power levels is Log Horizon which I found to be too boring to continue. It's not very heavy on comedy, though.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

ahobday posted:

Going waaaay back, but "The Irresponsible Captain Tylor". It's a comedy space-war series where the serious-people-taking-war-seriously tension is constantly deflated by improbable(?) luck and happenstance surrounding Tylor.

Also, it has a wonderful OST by Kenji Kawai.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ahobday posted:

There's no huge overarching story, but this basically described One Punch Man. Though, I'm going to take a guess that you're also familiar with OPM.

But really, Irresponsible Captain Tylor is a loving gem, and a great show. Even the dub is pretty great.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zero_Tactility posted:

Going waaaay back, but "The Irresponsible Captain Tylor". It's a comedy space-war series where the serious-people-taking-war-seriously tension is constantly deflated by improbable(?) luck and happenstance surrounding Tylor.

Also, it has a wonderful OST by Kenji Kawai.

Only caveat to this is that I'd recommend sticking to the TV series. The OVA was very different tonally, and IMO not good.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Paracelsus posted:

Only caveat to this is that I'd recommend sticking to the TV series. The OVA was very different tonally, and IMO not good.
Yes, agreed.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

There's no huge overarching story, but this basically described One Punch Man. Though, I'm going to take a guess that you're also familiar with OPM.

But really, Irresponsible Captain Tylor is a loving gem, and a great show. Even the dub is pretty great.

I have seen One Punch Man, yes. I'll check out Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Apparently Nozomi Entertainment put the whole thing on Youtube, so that's cool.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Colonel posted:

i highly rec it, there's some manga-only stuff in the first half iirc and the art is great but the manga leaves off around the middle and everything past that is some of the best parts of the entire story

I read it. The ending :gbsmith:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dont worry they're in shimeji simulation now they've gone to a better place

btw shimeji is really good. it's got the same sense of humor as glt but it's about weird sol antics in a weird town

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Forever respect Tsukumizu for giving Girls' Last Tour the ending it has and then immediately tweeting out a bunch of fanart of Chito and Yuuri going on lots of dates in lots of nice, safe, warm places IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://mangadex.org/chapter/414517/1