Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Splicer posted:

If you want to see where firefly came from watch alien resurrection
I saw it a few weeks ago and I had forgotten how nuts it is. It's like they hired two directors to make two movies with the same production team, then cut them together. One movie is, well, what if the guy who directed Delicatessen did an Alien movie. The other is a wacky, quippy space pirate movie by Joss Whedon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kavak posted:

Why is this a thing? Is there something in British culture that creates a stumbling block for accepting trans people?

It's just rainy fascism TERF island, where it's considered mainstream acceptable to spew trans panic bullshit in newspapers every other week.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's just rainy fascism TERF island, where it's considered mainstream acceptable to spew trans panic bullshit in newspapers every other week.

It’s loving wild to me that the UK somehow colonized like half of the world.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

CitizenKeen posted:

This is madness, but I would like to offer positive reinforcement of that kind of high-effort posting.

thank

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Has anyone else read Jon Peterson's The Elusive Shift?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s loving wild to me that the UK somehow colonized like half of the world.
Imagine how desperate and determined you'd be to conquer the world if the alternative was eating British cuisine for the rest of your life.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Halloween Jack posted:

Imagine how desperate and determined you'd be to conquer the world if the alternative was eating British cuisine for the rest of your life.

Okay, I know it's a cheap shot, but keep in mind that the things that come to mind for most people for "British cuisine" are working class food. You know, the people who historically couldn't afford much in the way of spices/etc as part of their staple diet until recently, long after the rise of the colonial empire, and had to make do with what they could afford or grow/raise themselves? (e: also, the whole "multiple world wars forcing rationing and creative use of what's at hand" didn't help either) Yeah, those people. I get it, it's bland compared to other cuisine, but "haha british food bad" is just repackaged "haha we've got it better than poor people".
Sorry. Hits a nerve. (I'm not British.)

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 27, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought it was the other way around and all the good British food comes from its oppressed people. I don't believe that Boris Johnson subsists on anything but beer, toad-in-the-hole, spotted dick, and various meat and bread dishes that are all called "pudding."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Extremely confused by the idea that Nobilis is "intentionally obfuscated."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am okay making fun of British cuisine and it's really weird to call it classist when that poo poo is in fine dining restaurants and poor kitchens alike.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I for one really like pasties.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I miss ordering pasties in Phoenix since there was a place there that made ones that were super good. However, trading that for brisket isn’t so bad.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Wait, wait. Hear me out.

Brisket pasty.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
That would probably do well in Austin!

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think it's intentionally obfuscated, Moran is a very clear writer. That said, the concepts and organization are very unusual so it's hard to grok unless you happen to operate at her wavelength.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I am okay making fun of British cuisine and it's really weird to call it classist when that poo poo is in fine dining restaurants and poor kitchens alike.

What "fine dining" restaurants do you go to that serve steak and kidney pie, toad-in-the-hole, bangers and mash, or chips with gravy and mushy peas?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Okay, I know it's a cheap shot, but keep in mind that the things that come to mind for most people for "British cuisine" are working class food. You know, the people who historically couldn't afford much in the way of spices/etc as part of their staple diet until recently, long after the rise of the colonial empire, and had to make do with what they could afford or grow/raise themselves? (e: also, the whole "multiple world wars forcing rationing and creative use of what's at hand" didn't help either) Yeah, those people. I get it, it's bland compared to other cuisine, but "haha british food bad" is just repackaged "haha we've got it better than poor people".
Sorry. Hits a nerve. (I'm not British.)
French peasants managed to make delicious food just fine, as did the Germans, Polish, etc. and they didn't pillage half the planet. Britain has no excuse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
France isn't a cold and unimportant little island where, barring imperialism, they would all have to work very hard and live mainly on herrings and potatoes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I lived in England for 3 years and have been back twice since. The food there is fine. There are plenty of excellent, traditional British dishes. The reputation for tasteless boiled meats and mash is weird and undeserved.

They are especially solid on their pie game. Pie crust makes everything better. They have good seafood, some excellent beef dishes (beef wellington, for example), very good sausages, a wide array of amazing desserts, and of course, they invented pub food.

Do they have junk food? Of course they do, everyone does. But I defy you to point to a better tasting junk food than a piping hot battered fried fish sided with fat fluffy crispy chips, drizzled with malt vinegar and lightly dusted with salt, served in a wad of (uninked, please) newspaper and wolfed down steaming in the cool night air along with your fifth pint of beer.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Yawgmoth posted:

French peasants managed to make delicious food just fine, as did the Germans, Polish, etc. and they didn't pillage half the planet. Britain has no excuse.
France for sure did pillage the world

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leperflesh posted:

Do they have junk food? Of course they do, everyone does. But I defy you to point to a better tasting junk food than a piping hot battered fried fish sided with fat fluffy crispy chips, drizzled with malt vinegar and lightly dusted with salt, served in a wad of (uninked, please) newspaper and wolfed down steaming in the cool night air along with your fifth pint of beer.
Poutine. :colbert:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Leperflesh posted:

piping hot battered fried halloumi sided with fat fluffy crispy chips, drizzled with gravy and cheese and lightly dusted with salt, served in a wad of (uninked, please) newspaper and wolfed down steaming in the cool night air along with your fifth pint of cider.

also some of the chips go in a chip butty

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Leperflesh posted:

*Points to Greggs' Sausage Rolls*

Mind you, I've never been one for cod....

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Trad Games Chat: It's Still Technically Trad Games If We're All Writing Like George R.R. Martin

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

idk, the layout for 2e is basically a training program to go permanently cross-eyed

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I will never understand this.
Yeah, France was still punishing Haiti for the crime of freeing themselves from slavery until 2010

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 27, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought it was the other way around and all the good British food comes from its oppressed people. I don't believe that Boris Johnson subsists on anything but beer, toad-in-the-hole, spotted dick, and various meat and bread dishes that are all called "pudding."

My understanding is it was a little bit of both: A lot of stuff that people think of when they think of bad British cuisine is a combination of stuff typically eaten by working class mainlanders or recipes concocted during The War as a means to deal with rationed food. Basically British food saw an influx in new recipes and ideas during the colonial period, saw a dip in quality during the early to mid 20th century as a result of the World Wars, and then took a decade or two to recover and see a new influx of recipes and creativity with immigration.

I am not super informed on the topic, though, and could be way off base...

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

They get credit for inventing from whole cloth Chicken Tikka Masala, and also for the most lavish desserts ever concieved. If The Great British Bake-Off is any indication, they put the same genius and resources into High Tea confections that we did into the Manhattan Project. They probably got more out of their investment, frankly.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I mean, let's be clear - American 1950-70's White People Food is no glorious treat, either.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Trad Games Chat: It's Still Technically Trad Games If We're All Writing Like George R.R. Martin

??? But GRRM doesn't write...

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Jimbozig posted:

??? But GRRM doesn't write...

No, but he does e a t

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

I mean, let's be clear - American 1950-70's White People Food is no glorious treat, either.

What, you don't want whole lamb chops in gelatin? Or, for that matter, "dump a can of vegetables in lemon jello"?
It's not glorious. It's experimental though. I respect the willingness to break from tradition and try new things even if it was mostly horrific.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

On par IMO but not "better." I've had about four or five Poutines via my three visits to Montreal, all curated by genuine local canadians, ranging from the basic timmy's through to fancy restaurant poutine. And they're drat good, don't get me wrong. But scarfing down scaldingly hot fish & chips in the drizzle outside a chippy in Caernaerfon where the folks behind the counter are yammering away in welsh is a life-altering experience that cannot be beat.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

fried halloumi
chip butty

fried cheese is alright but I can't eat all that much of it, it's just too much concentrated grease

chips & ketchup on sliced white bread is one of those "bad british food" things people were just complaining about, come on

hyphz posted:

*Points to Greggs' Sausage Rolls*

Mind you, I've never been one for cod....

Sausage rolls in general are a thing yep and I've had some drat good ones yep but greggs? Ehhhh.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Heck the Belgians who are usually stereotyped as basically harmless pseudo Hobbits who like to eat fries and make comics(when people even remember that it's it's own country and not just an odd branch of France), had probably the most brutal example of Colonialism the world has ever known with how it treated the Congo

Leperflesh posted:

I lived in England for 3 years and have been back twice since. The food there is fine. There are plenty of excellent, traditional British dishes. The reputation for tasteless boiled meats and mash is weird and undeserved.

They are especially solid on their pie game. Pie crust makes everything better. They have good seafood, some excellent beef dishes (beef wellington, for example), very good sausages, a wide array of amazing desserts, and of course, they invented pub food.

Speaking of British junk food;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_oIys5KS4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfyJICT9aI

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DalaranJ posted:

Has anyone else read Jon Peterson's The Elusive Shift?

Yeah, really impressive stuff, isn't it? Really wish I could read some of those old zines for myself.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of British junk food;

Don't forget
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchy_box

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leperflesh posted:

On par IMO but not "better." I've had about four or five Poutines via my three visits to Montreal, all curated by genuine local canadians, ranging from the basic timmy's through to fancy restaurant poutine. And they're drat good, don't get me wrong. But scarfing down scaldingly hot fish & chips in the drizzle outside a chippy in Caernaerfon where the folks behind the counter are yammering away in welsh is a life-altering experience that cannot be beat.
Every town has its own "recipe" for poutine and some of the poutine I have had is up there with "best food ever, unqualified". However,

Leperflesh posted:

fried cheese is alright but I can't eat all that much of it, it's just too much concentrated grease
This reminds me that the actual best drunken snack is deep fried pickles. Straight up or with dill sauce, either's great.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

The decade-long period of rationing during and immediately after WWII killed British cuisine. Not only did the "institutional" knowledge of how to make certain things disappear with a near-decade of disuse, but entire cheese cultures died out completely and permanently because nobody could make that kind of cheese during rationing.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

LatwPIAT posted:

The decade-long period of rationing during and immediately after WWII killed British cuisine. Not only did the "institutional" knowledge of how to make certain things disappear with a near-decade of disuse, but entire cheese cultures died out completely and permanently because nobody could make that kind of cheese during rationing.

I've read so much 2021 poo poo pumping through my loving veins lately that somehow THIS was the saddest thing I've read today. The fascist arc of history really does wipe out everything it touches, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LatwPIAT posted:

Pretty much. These were the conditions at the dawn of ubiquitous recorded media though, so now it will be burned into people's brains forever! :v:

BinaryDoubts posted:

I don't think it's intentionally obfuscated, Moran is a very clear writer. That said, the concepts and organization are very unusual so it's hard to grok unless you happen to operate at her wavelength.
I'm close enough to it that Chuubo's made sense to me - if anything it was de-mystifying - but Sidereals I had to kind of extrapolate out from the other Exalted materials until I went 'oh, okay, that's the idea, strong powers but locked into somewhat arbitrary symbologies.'