Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Bruteman posted:

re: Deep Secrets of the Earth - haha holy hell. This story is so brutal.

Yeah, from the very first pair of text messages in the reception area "hey can we get some better soundproofing here" hooooo boy.

quote:

Also, if I was listening to this correctly, I enjoyed the revelation that I have to fight robot dinosaurs because an AI was "sad" that they went extinct

Close but not quite. It's like peeling an onion, there's always another layer to this backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's worth remembering that despite the stereotype of cold, emotionless beep boop robots that you get from sci fi, GAIA and the other AIs are, by design, deeply emotional beings. It helps in understanding not just GAIA, but HADES and HEPHAESTUS too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rohan Kishibe posted:

It's worth remembering that despite the stereotype of cold, emotionless beep boop robots that you get from sci fi, GAIA and the other AIs are, by design, deeply emotional beings. It helps in understanding not just GAIA, but HADES and HEPHAESTUS too.

HADES becoming very obviously frustrated was a great red herring in the first chunks of the game. It depends on what you did in what order if you noticed that certain entities in the game were associated with Greek mythology or ancient Egypt, at least, before The Good News reveal...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 25, 2021

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Heart of the Nora - well that poo poo was heartbreaking. In time! In time! In time! and the lycaeum was right there...

What really got me misty-eyed was talking to the one matriarch afterwards and getting Rost's backstory. after all he'd been through, the bit about "the moment he laid eyes on you, he saw you as a gift, and never a burden" :cry:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Bruteman posted:

Heart of the Nora - well that poo poo was heartbreaking. In time! In time! In time! and the lycaeum was right there...

What really got me misty-eyed was talking to the one matriarch afterwards and getting Rost's backstory. after all he'd been through, the bit about "the moment he laid eyes on you, he saw you as a gift, and never a burden" :cry:

And you walk into the lyceum and see a ton of data points come up

(btw, read the text on that entry, the audio recording is foreshortened)

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The Mountain that Fell: lmao Ted Faro

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bruteman posted:

The Mountain that Fell: lmao Ted Faro

you misspelled gently caress

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Man, what a great character. Lloyd Owen kills it in that role, Ted's such an iconic total piece of poo poo.

Also looking up Owens on IMDB just now I saw that Hades is played by John Gonzales, the lead writer. Fun fact.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Digital Osmosis posted:

Man, what a great character. Lloyd Owen kills it in that role, Ted's such an iconic total piece of poo poo.

Also looking up Owens on IMDB just now I saw that Hades is played by John Gonzales, the lead writer. Fun fact.

Ted's actor is good. I also like the guy playing Erend, and Lance Reddick owns. Mostly I find it hard to believe Aloy is the same person who does Tiny Tina or whoever from Borderlands

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's so great because like, with the help of people like Elisabet and Margo, he was literally on top of the world, richest man in the universe, hailed as a savior due to FAS's lead in the Clawback.

And then, well,

e:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 27, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
RIP one of the folks who made this game great.

https://www.thegamer.com/horizon-zero-dawn-designer-dead/

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I hate Ted Faro far more than any other video game character because he actually exists in the form of Elon Musk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Admiral Ray posted:

I hate Ted Faro far more than any other video game character because he actually exists in the form of Elon Musk.

Elon Musk at least has a back-up plan to save himself while the world burns by fleeing to Mars

(this is not an endorsement of Elon Musk)

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Elon Musk at least has a back-up plan to save himself while the world burns by fleeing to Mars

(this is not an endorsement of Elon Musk)

Just lol if you think Ted Faro didn't do the exact same thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Just lol if you think Ted Faro didn't do the exact same thing.

They don't mention it ever in the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Far Zenith project was a secret cabal of billionaires who planned to bail earth in the 2040s if the Claw-Back didn't happen, Ted Faro was almost certainly a member of that group even as FAS was helping to save the world.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yeah I bet there was a embryo of a Ted Faro clone either on Far Zenith or somewhere in another Eluthia or both. And such a clone would have the same genetic access Aloy has.

I think a cool twist would be meeting up with a Ted Faro clone and he's actually grown up to be a good guy and is devastated that his 'father' destroyed the world. Perhaps he can sacrifice himself to save this one.

I mean, you know, after Aloy kicks him in the balls a few times. And probably after Sylens chains him up to use him as a skeleton key.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ashpanash posted:

Yeah I bet there was a embryo of a Ted Faro clone either on Far Zenith or somewhere in another Eluthia or both. And such a clone would have the same genetic access Aloy has.

I think a cool twist would be meeting up with a Ted Faro clone and he's actually grown up to be a good guy and is devastated that his 'father' destroyed the world. Perhaps he can sacrifice himself to save this one.

I mean, you know, after Aloy kicks him in the balls a few times. And probably after Sylens chains him up to use him as a skeleton key.

If a Ted Faro clone has grown up to be a good guy, then why should he be kicked in the balls a few times? He did nothing wrong, all those crimes were done by a completely different person who shares his DNA.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SirSamVimes posted:

If a Ted Faro clone has grown up to be a good guy, then why should he be kicked in the balls a few times? He did nothing wrong, all those crimes were done by a completely different person who shares his DNA.

Yeah I feel like an Aloy true to the H:ZD version of her would reject that kind of flagellation for a Teed character.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Yeah, specifically what I basically assumed since I played the game on the PS4 around release was that the Odyssey exploding was a lie, that it made it to Far Zenith just fine, that Ted Faro was on it and helped gently caress up that society just like he hosed up ours, and that the signal that broke Gaia came from the Far Zenith people coming back to reclaim the earth.

They never spell it outright but there's supporting evidence. The game goes out of it's way to talk about the Odyssey as having viable tech in a number of areas-- embryonics, an alpha build of Apollo, etc.-- in a large number of data-points before it mysteriously explodes. I'm not sure who else would have a motive for sending the signal to activate HADES. Finally and most importantly we have no idea wtf happened to Ted Faro. Supposedly after merking the alphas he went to his Thebes habitat and just chilled in a gaudy tomb for the rest of his natural lifespan but uh, how is that at all dramatically interesting? Why would they give up a character as loathsome as Ted Faro if they could keep him in play in some way?

Like I said it's all conjecture but I feel like it fits pretty well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Odyssey surviving somehow has been a major speculative sequel hook for a long time. I think whoever worked on the Forbidden West trailer took notice because this seems too cute to be pure coincidence.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd e xpect Anton Chekhov to return from the dead and haunt the poo poo out of the devs if they didn't use that sequel hook, tbh

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Digital Osmosis posted:

Yeah, specifically what I basically assumed since I played the game on the PS4 around release was that the Odyssey exploding was a lie, that it made it to Far Zenith just fine, that Ted Faro was on it and helped gently caress up that society just like he hosed up ours, and that the signal that broke Gaia came from the Far Zenith people coming back to reclaim the earth.

They never spell it outright but there's supporting evidence. The game goes out of it's way to talk about the Odyssey as having viable tech in a number of areas-- embryonics, an alpha build of Apollo, etc.-- in a large number of data-points before it mysteriously explodes. I'm not sure who else would have a motive for sending the signal to activate HADES. Finally and most importantly we have no idea wtf happened to Ted Faro. Supposedly after merking the alphas he went to his Thebes habitat and just chilled in a gaudy tomb for the rest of his natural lifespan but uh, how is that at all dramatically interesting? Why would they give up a character as loathsome as Ted Faro if they could keep him in play in some way?

Like I said it's all conjecture but I feel like it fits pretty well.

I feel like there would be a problem with transmission delay if he were somewhere in deep space while giving his bullshit speech to the alphas before murdering them

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

I feel like there would be a problem with transmission delay if he were somewhere in deep space while giving his bullshit speech to the alphas before murdering them

Something something quantum entanglement! But for real yeah that is a point against the theory. Does anyone remember if they referenced transmission delays in the logs and such about the Odyssey? Unclear what level communications technology was at that point.

Ciaphas posted:

I'd e xpect Anton Chekhov to return from the dead and haunt the poo poo out of the devs if they didn't use that sequel hook, tbh

lol that reminds me I saw Chekov's final play a year or two ago and there's a scene where two characters are drunk af late at night and one's like "bro, lemme show you this set of dueling pistols I got" and the other's like "hell yeah" so they go over and pull them out and admire them and are like "wait wait we're drunk, let's not be playing with guns right now" and then the pistols NEVER COME UP AGAIN. He was absolutely trolling, it ruled.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

Something something quantum entanglement! But for real yeah that is a point against the theory. Does anyone remember if they referenced transmission delays in the logs and such about the Odyssey? Unclear what level communications technology was at that point.

The only datapad mentioning the fate of the Odyssey said telemetry indicated a containment failure, meaning its destruction was never directly observed. I don't think Faro was onboard however, since they make a big deal out of him being in his neo-pyramid bunker Thebes as Zero Day approaches.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Digital Osmosis posted:

lol that reminds me I saw Chekov's final play a year or two ago and there's a scene where two characters are drunk af late at night and one's like "bro, lemme show you this set of dueling pistols I got" and the other's like "hell yeah" so they go over and pull them out and admire them and are like "wait wait we're drunk, let's not be playing with guns right now" and then the pistols NEVER COME UP AGAIN. He was absolutely trolling, it ruled.

lol that rules

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Given how huge a roll AI plays in the story, I think the simplest way to get Ted back in action is going with the old, "Download his consciousness," routine. If you really wanted to stretch it and get something closer to actually being Ted, you could go the Get Out route combined with cryogenics.

I'm not necessarily advocating for it, I'd lean against it, but sometimes a really good writer can make a seemingly bad idea work.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think the biggest argument against the signal being from Odyssey is that obviously it's from Vast Silver trying to prevent humanity from ruining the planet again. :haw:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

SirSamVimes posted:

Would you trust a Ted Faro clone right away?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I hope we never see ted again, or if we do, its just backstory from the claw-back. His effectiveness as an antagonist works so well because he is untouchable and basically got away with destroying the world. Never getting to punch him in the face makes him even more hateable.

Really, gently caress that guy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think the biggest argument against the signal being from Odyssey is that obviously it's from Vast Silver trying to prevent humanity from ruining the planet again. :haw:

Get this: It's Vast Silver stowed away on the Odyssey :aaa:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Finished the game tonight. Spent the last couple of days doing the Frozen Wild content and finished that main quest. I assume that CYAN was very talky at the end because I had already done all the side quests pertaining to those dialogue choices?

Last mission in the main game was a little disappointing. Helis went out like a little bitch after a whole game of building him up. Though I normally picked the "heart" options in all the dialogue choices, this time the "I hope this hurts" one and that little scene kinda made up for it.

End battle: I feel like the dialogue leading up to it builds you up to fighting a Horus/Metal Devil so it just being another Deathbringer fight was a bit of a letdown.

I really liked how if you did all the pertinent side content, all those people showed up in Meridian at the end to fight with you.

Overall, this game was pretty amazing and I'm glad I got to finally play it. It's rare that an open world game compels me to do just about all of the content, but the combat and visuals really made it easy to keep pushing to do it all.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Bruteman posted:

Last mission in the main game was a little disappointing. Helis went out like a little bitch after a whole game of building him up. Though I normally picked the "heart" options in all the dialogue choices, this time the "I hope this hurts" one and that little scene kinda made up for it.

If you picked the heart again you would've gotten Aloy to tell him off again, then tell him to turn his face to the sun before stabbing him. Which is my favorite.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Both the heart and fist options rule hard for that scene. If you pick fist, Aloy tells him that his entire life was a failure, pick heart and she repeats the very first thing Helis said to her when he almost killed her at the Proving.

drat Aloy, you really are a savage!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I started this game on my PS4pro back in the day and stopped after 10% game progression (after the “prologue” and intro area and quests for your open world experience) to play RDR2.

Now I restarted it on PC and after playing AC Valhalla the last weeks I must say that’s another level. AC looks and plays so boring and bland against HZD, it’s quite an experience.

On top of that HZD on 3440x1440 and Ultra Settings simply looks glorious and unsurprisingly way better than on years olds console hardware.
While AC Valhalla is graphically impressive and maybe slightly “better”, it loses against HZD in immersion, atmosphere, story and gameplay features imo. And HZD music and implementation is at movie level, superbly done.

Both games suck at Parcours and climbing tho.

Besides that HZD is a gift to pc gaming and I hope the trend continues.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I'm just playing Valhalla as well after playing Horizon for the first time this year. Lots of Corona time off. I liked Horizon a lot more, but the one thing I think Assassins Creed does a ton better is climbing. You can just walk up to anything in the world, jump up and climb to the top. After so many hours looking for the yellow thingy's to climb up on in Horizion i like it a lot better. There's a few other things where it shows Valhalla is not the first iteration - like calling your mount, and jumping up on it on the run.

Horizon clearly beats it in story and style though.

Really looking forward to part 2 of Horizon if they manage to improve on it, just hope they don't take so long for the PC version this time.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I finally beat the game for the first time and holy poo poo what a ride.
The story really gets you in the feels though I'm left with many questions. I have a feeling this game could go the way of Assassins creed where the overarching metaplot will take well over a decade worth of sequels and side stories to resolve and explain everything. The have enough sequel hooks in this game to make every single AI a theme/boss for each.

Some thoughts about the end:

So what ultimately happened with Ted Faro? He killed everyone associated with the project and nuked Apollo. Is Apollo gone forever or are those "failsafes" somehow active?" I fully expected that towards the end of the game all I had to do was flip a switch somewhere to activate Apollo but Aloy would destroy it instead to stop any one tribe from using the knowledge to dominate all the others. I never expected Faro to do it instead. I would have loved to have the option to bring Apollo back somehow.

Is there any special meaning to Aloy finding Elisabets' amulet/pocket Earth?

Why did Aloy abandon her spear at Hades? I mean that sort of thing must be very valuable no? The override would surely be valuable too.

Overall amazing game, got me really invested in the story so it sucks I'll probably have to wait 3 years after release to get a PC release if at all. Are there any bigger themes or story points that I could have easily missed or do the main quests do a good enough job explaining everything?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ted Faro is the rear end in a top hat who destroyed the world and didn’t ever have to pay for it. The End.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kraftwerk posted:

So what ultimately happened with Ted Faro? He killed everyone associated with the project and nuked Apollo. Is Apollo gone forever or are those "failsafes" somehow active?" I fully expected that towards the end of the game all I had to do was flip a switch somewhere to activate Apollo but Aloy would destroy it instead to stop any one tribe from using the knowledge to dominate all the others. I never expected Faro to do it instead. I would have loved to have the option to bring Apollo back somehow.

Is there any special meaning to Aloy finding Elisabets' amulet/pocket Earth?

Why did Aloy abandon her spear at Hades? I mean that sort of thing must be very valuable no? The override would surely be valuable too.

In order, as far as we're aware he just lived the rest of his days in his luxury bunker, wishing he'd had more time to keep loving things up.

It's poignant that Elisabet died holding on to a model of the Earth she'd tried so hard to protect, and significant for Aloy as Elisabet's future analogue. No particular story relevance beyond being emotionally significant though.

Not really explained as far as I know, maybe she just thought she should leave the override there to keep overriding, or maybe she just felt she'd done her quest and didn't want the burden anymore. Also so we have to do progression again in the sequel, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I bet you there's some kind of backup to Apollo or map to a super secret Zero Dawn Site B facility in that globe charm.